• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is Tempo Warrior the most overrated deck in the game? Holy shit I cannot win with this deck. If I don't get the early armorsmith or fiery win axe exactly when I need it in the early game any kind of aggro deck just rolls right over me.

ZealousD

what's your decklist?

Sjow's original list, the one that ran Varian, which seems to be the standard list.

https://manacrystals.com/deck_guides/905-sjow-s-rank-1-legend-tempo-warrior

I've run midrange-type warrior decks before but always had some earlier minions like Dragon Egg and Cruel Taskmaster instead instead of this top-heavy stuff like Ragnaros and Varian/Rafaam. Maybe that's my problem here.

One of my problems seems to be that I've having troubles getting consistent battle rages. I think the lack of a second Acolyte might be hurting me too.

Tarazet

Sjow's original list, the one that ran Varian, which seems to be the standard list.

I've run midrange-type warrior decks before but always had some earlier minions like Dragon Egg and Cruel Taskmaster instead instead of this top-heavy stuff like Ragnaros and Varian/Rafaam. Maybe that's my problem here.

One of my problems seems to be that I've having troubles getting consistent battle rages. I think the lack of a second Acolyte might be hurting me too.

Personally, I cut the 9/10-drops and put in a Stranglethorn Tiger, because the deck is missing 5 drops and even more importantly missing a lot of guaranteed impact. Even with the two Kor'krons and Grom it can be difficult to press the advantage. The other meta decks do a much better job of being able to turn around a losing situation. Tempo can get stuck in a rut of getting its board cleared every turn and just falling further and further behind, until its late game threats aren't enough to make the difference.

ZealousD

Tempo can get stuck in a rut of getting its board cleared every turn and just falling further and further behind, until its late game threats aren't enough to make the difference.

If you can even draw them. I've been in topdeck mode more often than I'd like because my draw is so inconsistent and instead of drawing my higher levels threats I just pull techy stuff like Blood to Ichor or weak minions like Frothing.

I'm not convinced that the deck is even as good as midrange hunter, as much as people are shitting on that deck right now. At least with midrange hunter I have consistent reach and a reliable clock against the opponent.

Is Tempo Warrior the most overrated deck in the game? Holy shit I cannot win with this deck. If I don't get the early armorsmith or fiery win axe exactly when I need it in the early game any kind of aggro deck just rolls right over me.

Funny cause every single warrior I went up against lately, without exception, has had fiery war axe. Hell, seems like my opponents always get great mulligans against me lately lol

Levi

Banned

I strongly disagree with Sjow's change to Boar Control's original list--he cut one whirlwind and added one Kor'kron. I'd revert that change. Otherwise I think it's a strong deck that should roll over zoo, be positive against aggro Shaman and get you at least 50% vs midrange Shaman.

I also find it extremely strong vs Mage, Paladin and Rogue.

I have a lot of trouble against Control Warrior and Midrange/Control Hunter with it, though. I've only seen Priest a few times so I don't really have a good sense on how that match up should go. Druid, who knows, they've disappeared from the meta.

http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-tempo-warrior-standard-deck

Here's a really good guide written by Sottle, who you may have seen casting at the Preliminaries over the weekend.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Knew he was a streamer (edit: wait, is he?). I played him earlier today with my tempo mage and got roflstomped. To be fair, the moment I saw the name I just let defeat set in. Not like there was anything I could do though. He had a weapon up from Turn 2 to Turn 7. Literally impossible to establish a board like that.

Levi

Banned
I'm not convinced that the deck is even as good as midrange hunter, as much as people are shitting on that deck right now. At least with midrange hunter I have consistent reach and a reliable clock against the opponent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/4h6qqb/tempo_warrior_69_win_rate_peak_rank_3_legend/

Here's another link, this time to Boar Control's reddit post where in the comments and in the linked guide he explains a lot of his reasoning.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
While I don't play HS enough anymore to rank up much, just doing dailies, the deck I've been enjoying the most is this ramp druid deck. Sitting currently at rank 9. Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the class, ramp is still conceptually strong and mark of ysaarj is a great card.

Instead of going all in on the ramp archetype I included druids of the flame and savage combatant with marks, providing more board earlier on. I've been bouncing around with spellbreaker, mire keepers, or a second combatant, as they have ended up being really powerful in the shaman match up. You still have trouble against god-draws, but winning 3 games in a row against 3 shaman is what prompted me to post this, included a salt add after a turn 6 kill.

I don't run any deck trackers or the like so I don't have any hard stats, but the deck is certainly over 50% for me.

TLDR druid not dead

Levi

Banned
TLDR druid not dead

The class may not be dead but it is on life support. I never see them anymore on ladder, and I'm not seeing them streamed except gimmick decks with Summoning Stones or Yogg, and I'm not seeing them put up good results in tournaments.

Maybe I'll play some Druid tonight, represent the BEASTS.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
The class may not be dead but it is on life support. I never see them anymore on ladder, and I'm not seeing them streamed except gimmick decks with Summoning Stones or Yogg, and I'm not seeing them put up good results in tournaments.

Maybe I'll play some Druid tonight, represent the BEASTS.

Luckily there's more to the game outside of tournaments, and yeah it's my point that the kind of deck I'm playing is rarely seen.

It is dragon priest tier.

Not actually that good, but if you want to play the class and don't want to play slow as heck control it will have to do.

squidyj

Not actually that good, but if you want to play the class and don't want to play slow as heck control it will have to do.

It's actually pretty good, I do well with it, better against aggro than against control definitely.
blood to ichor is a great card, take the shield off a squire, use it + waraxe to cleanly deal with a totem golem. all sorts of good stuff you can do.

"Heh, Greetings.......Armor Up.........Armor Up.........Welcome to the Grand Tournament..........Tank Up............Tank Up...........I'm out of cards!!" :p

It's actually pretty good, I do well with it, better against aggro than against control definitely.
blood to ichor is a great card, take the shield off a squire, use it + waraxe to cleanly deal with a totem golem. all sorts of good stuff you can do.

Well by "not actually that good" I mean compared to aggro shaman good.

You can still obviously do well.

jgminto

Faced a warrior in arena with Fiery Win Axe, Arcanite Reaper, Shield Slam, Kor'kron Elite, Grommash, Deathwing Dragonlord and he still lost to my Mage.

Levi

Banned
Luckily there's more to the game outside of tournaments, and yeah it's my point that the kind of deck I'm playing is rarely seen.

It can't be both "not dead" and "rarely seen". Druid isn't a significant presence in the meta. They'll come back--someone will make a good deck or Blizzard will grant them good cards in the next set, but right now the Druid's pulse is weak and thready and the buzzards are circling...

clav

I'm testing my "No Fun Allowed" deck since I've seen too much aggro and n'zoth cards on ladder.

Still working out how to combo correctly since you should have a full hand most of the time.

I have a Faceless in there because I don't have a huge collection.

I think it needs another Doomsayer, but I don't have one in my collection.

Weak against control.

Had Elise at one point, but I usually only have 3 cards left when I play the Golden Monkey.

I think Blood Knight needs to be something else like Refreshment Vendor, but I already don't have much early game stuff to play.

wUIVdGQ.png

ViviOggi

Not sure how the deck being overrated is your conclusion when the results are there. Tempo Warrior is one of the harder decks to play right now, you're basically taking arena-style calculated risks every other turn and matchup knowledge is clutch.

Knew he was a streamer (edit: wait, is he?). I played him earlier today with my tempo mage and got roflstomped. To be fair, the moment I saw the name I just let defeat set in. Not like there was anything I could do though. He had a weapon up from Turn 2 to Turn 7. Literally impossible to establish a board like that.
Best streamer/Warrior god

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
It can't be both "not dead" and "rarely seen". Druid isn't a significant presence in the meta. They'll come back--someone will make a good deck or Blizzard will grant them good cards in the next set, but right now the Druid's pulse is weak and thready and the buzzards are circling...

You seem to be confused about what I'm saying. I mean dead as in the class doesn't have a decent deck, can't win games. See pre-now shaman. You mean dead as in ladder representation, which I wasn't discussing.

Pooya

tempo warrior was the top deck in prelims, warrior had like what 59% winrate and most of them were tempo, the deck is very good, there is no doubt about that, it beats aggro, it has good winrate against control too with its drawing engine. It plays quite closely to post nerf patron actually, you need to get good battle rages and it's way easier to do that with all the new cards warrior got. I've had great results with it, if you played lots of patron before, it's easy to adjust to it, you don't just play your stuff on curve.

I Worked on a Sea+Mountain Giant warrior and paladin build with interesting results. I always test in standard before losing stars in ranked and went 9-1 with the dual Giants warrior deck and 7-3 with the paladin. The paladin for course being hurt by so few early game minions and board clears really not coming till turn 4. Warriors on the other hand can use the 3 mana minion and executes and good early minions trades to control the board a bit bette4.

I figured using both sea and mountain giant would allow me to pop a giant on turn 5 or 6 no matter the situation. Most games im either buying time and building cards with slam and shield block and acolyte or I'm throwing combos onto the board.

Being able to play an 8/8 turn 4 or 5 against an aggro deck or play it turn 4-6 against control is great.

Pooya

What streamers are worth watching?

depends on what you want.

-chill dude playing arena well with some dumb constructed decks here and there without any ad bullshit or fake persona? watch nl_kripp.

-Want to learn constructed or arena for beginners? trumpsc, kibler (constructed only)

-Want to learn constructed for intermediate players? Strifecro, thijshs

-Want to learn constructed for advanced players? kolento and xixo. they expect you know what you're doing but explain some finer plays and decisions. xixo's stream is very good actually.

-A good player with really dumb and generally fun stream, sometimes educational? Dog and sjow.

- concede decks? Savjz

-Just want to learn rogue? ryzentv, amnesiac, chessdude123.

-Want to see what's going to be possibly a next meta deck in brewing stages? mryagut.

-Want to watch a very rich, retired poker player that overthinks everything in this game to make the best plays and has fun like a child, overall be fun and educaitonal? lifecoach.

-want to learn arena? hafu, shadybunny, or former heartharena guys (merps and the other one).
-

clav

So I figured out how to counter N'Zoth Paladin with Enter the Coliseum and Doomsayer combo with ooze.

Still lost the game to fatigue since my opponent had double Forbidden Healing.

Falling in ranks, but I'm enjoying figuring out how to piece this deck together.

squidyj

depends on what you want.

-chill dude playing arena well with some dumb constructed decks here and there without any ad bullshit or fake persona? watch nl_kripp.

-Want to learn constructed or arena for beginners? trumpsc, kibler (constructed only)

-Want to learn constructed for intermediate players? Strifecro, thijshs

-Want to learn constructed for advanced players? kolento and xixo. they expect you know what you're doing but explain some finer plays and decisions. xixo's stream is very good actually.

-A good player with really dumb and generally fun stream, sometimes educational? Dog and sjow.

- concede decks? Savjz

-Just want to learn rogue? ryzentv, amnesiac, chessdude123.

-Want to see what's going to be possibly a next meta deck in brewing stages? mryagut.

-Want to watch a very rich, retired poker player that overthinks everything in this game to make the best plays and has fun like a child, overall be fun and educaitonal? lifecoach.

-want to learn arena? hafu, shadybunny, or former heartharena guys (merps and the other one).
-

dog can pull double duty for concede decks :p
also kibler needs his own dragon category
no love for ratsmah on the arena front?

Also I love reynad streams, reynad is by far my favorite salt vendor.

Tarazet

Went from 17-12 on Wild with Aggro Shaman in about 2 hours, then tilted once I started getting the worst possible mulligans/draws and lost some good matchups. By the way, it seems the bullshit concede priest and concede warrior decks that used to float around 20-15 are a little higher up the totem pole now. I haven't hit the Secret Paladin wall yet but they definitely have a presence too.

I only played against one Zoo player all day. If anything, it should be stronger than ever, because Dankshire Councilman with Imp-losion is utterly stupid.

squidyj

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/555350-midrange-paladin

been trying to make a midrange paladin deck, dunno about those pyromancers though.
squire interacts favorably with uldaman keeper, divine strength, rallying blade and argus. having a weapon that comes out a turn earlier than truesilver is something I've found useful in getting the early board advantage and I have a number of shielded minions that I can buff up with it.

A lot of the deck is still in flux but I've played it here and there and it works out mostly okay, could maybe use some more threats to help the control matchup.

been trying to make a midrange paladin deck, dunno about those pyromancers though.
squire interacts favorably with uldaman keeper, divine strength, rallying blade and argus. having a weapon that comes out a turn earlier than truesilver is something I've found useful in getting the early board advantage and I have a number of shielded minions that I can buff up with it.

A lot of the deck is still in flux but I've played it here and there and it works out mostly okay, could maybe use some more threats to help the control matchup.

I think c'thun paladin has a lot of potential to be a midrange deck. I've played a bit of a slower c'thun paladin, but I think it could be converted.

not a big fan of selfless hero honestly. Justicar is good against control so you can throw that in if you want. I do like the discover a minion give it +1/1 to help fill out your curve like curator instead of the +1/2 spell

squidyj

not a big fan of selfless hero honestly. Justicar is good against control so you can throw that in if you want. I do like the discover a minion give it +1/1 to help fill out your curve like curator instead of the +1/2 spell

selfless hero has done an impressive amount of work in the games that I've played, it and divine strength are also much faster cards than spending 2 mana to put a minion in my hand. I also get things like 2/5 acolytes. being able to buff my acolytes in particular and debuff the attack of my enemies is right now fairly key to my ability to draw cards into my hand. I don't have the self damage effects that warrior does but there are even pyro combos (one of the reasons I have pyro in the deck outside of equality combos) with divine strength turning acolyte into a 24, whirlwinding the board, drawing me a card. I just can't see the discover card being worthwhile at all.

Rosenskjold

When I switched to Tempo Warrior I lost the first 7-8 games, but now I just reached rank 9 which is a personal record. The toughest is shaman aggro and the turn 8 hunter. Against shaman I keep executes and try to stop their early game. Against hunter I try to have a way to deal with turn 8 in my hand, brawl or ww+execute plus FWA, or something like that.

Top Bottom