• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

greepoman

An interesting tech choice I saw in quite of few tourney decks was crazed alchemist. Was that primarily for doomsayers? I guess totems too. Haven't seen it on ladder though.

Tarazet

that and people are banning shaman. W/ midrange only running one doomhammer and warrior w/ one gorehowl, you can really mess up their game plan. Obviously you don't want to burn cards, but burning 1 or 2 isnt bad for the advantage

Don't forget about Tirion and Jaraxxus, that can be an instant game winner.

An interesting tech choice I saw in quite of few tourney decks was crazed alchemist. Was that primarily for doomsayers? I guess totems too. Haven't seen it on ladder though.

He used to be played as a counter to Nat Pagle when he was an auto-include in literally everything. As you say he kills Doomsayer, totems (Flametongue/Mana Tide), makes Darkshire Councilman or Bloodhoof easier to trade away. Dead draw against Miracle Rogue.

embalm

I've been seeing a Control Shaman around Rank 2 on the ladder. Does anyone know what the deck is?

It runs Elemental Destruction, Fire Elemental, Thing from Below, and most of the totem synergy cards. It seems to skip the early game in favor of just making totems and clearing with lightning storm/elemental destruction.

It does not seem to have Doomhammer, both games I was holding a Harrison, just waiting for the bad boy to drop. So they either made a good read or don't run it.

fertygo

I've been seeing a Control Shaman around Rank 2 on the ladder. Does anyone know what the deck is?

It runs Elemental Destruction, Fire Elemental, Thing from Below, and most of the totem synergy cards. It seems to skip the early game in favor of just making totems and clearing with lightning storm/elemental destruction.

It does not seem to have Doomhammer, both games I was holding a Harrison, just waiting for the bad boy to drop. So they either made a good read or don't run it.

Probably this

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/550152-tidesoftimes-shaman-americas-spring-prelims-2016v

I realized because nzoth exists, we won't be getting any new neutral death rattle minions for a long ass time. Though I hope druid gets something because I'm trying to make nzoth work for him

That is, I'm not specifically shooting for an nzoth deck, only that it seems like a reasonable win condition for addled grizzly shenanigans

Levi

Banned
I realized because both exists, we won't be getting any new neutral death rattle minions for a long ass time. Though I hope druid gets something because I'm trying to make nzoth work for him

That is, I'm not specifically shooting for an nzoth deck, only that it seems like a reasonable win condition for addled grizzly shenanigans

I think we'll get some new death rattles, but their power level is going to be pretty meh. N'zoth's effect definitely "limits design space".

I think we'll get some new death rattles, but their power level is going to be pretty meh. N'zoth's effect definitely "limits design space".

So deathrattles stronger than sylvanas and tirion? I would hope not. I mean, even without n'zoth we should hope for deathrattle cards that are good but perhaps not pushing the power curve much like any other card.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Warlocks really seem to dislike Warriors...
M6HRnGG.jpg

Not that I blame them, but there's still stuff on the ladder that's free wins vs. Warrior.

ViviOggi

So I've been playing Hearthstone again and in the last week I opened like 10 packs from arena runs and such.

A week ago I get a Golden Death wing Dragon lord, awesome!
3 days ago I open a deck, get a normal Death wing Dragon lord, im like ok, maybe Ill dust one of them and its alright.
Today I open another deck,and what do I get? Death wing Dragon lord...

DansGame.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just a sanity check before i disenchant a few cards.

Golden cards seem safe/efficient to disenchant even if you don't have the normal versions as long as you don't currently have use for them because they seem to give enough dust to make the equivalent card. Is this true?

I was going to disenchant the following gold cards:

Power of the Wild (only one i have)
Scavenging Hyena (I have one normal one)
Vaporize (only one i have)
Thing From Below (I have one normal one)
Frothing Berserker (only one i have)

This would give me 400 dust which would go a little ways towards helping me build a budget Cthun mage deck I have been looking at.

Horrible idea or seems OK? Most of my interest so far seems to be in mages paladins and warlocks but that could definitely change.

clav

I'd only disenchant gold cards if I had a normal copy.

Otherwise if I have zero copies, then I wouldn't bother.

Depends on the card though.

Those are OK cards outside of Scavenging Hyena. It combos with Unleash the Hounds although you still have to wait one turn to play unless the Rhino that gives all beasts charge is on the board.

Cat Party

Just a sanity check before i disenchant a few cards.

Golden cards seem safe/efficient to disenchant even if you don't have the normal versions as long as you don't currently have use for them because they seem to give enough dust to make the equivalent card. Is this true?

I was going to disenchant the following gold cards:

Power of the Wild (only one i have)
Scavenging Hyena (I have one normal one)
Vaporize (only one i have)
Thing From Below (I have one normal one)
Frothing Berserker (only one i have)

This would give me 400 dust which would go a little ways towards helping me build a budget Cthun mage deck I have been looking at.

Horrible idea or seems OK? Most of my interest so far seems to be in mages paladins and warlocks but that could definitely change.

You are correct about the dust math. It's really your call as to whether you don't need the cards. Berserker and thing from below are good cards, but if you don't play warrior or shaman right now, then they're doing you no good.

I'm watching Reynad play N'Zoth Hunter at the moment and he's not running Huhuran. I realise double Doomsayer + double Kodo is the anti-meta choice but Huhuran seems too damn good to pass up.

KuroNeeko

Reached rank 9 today for maybe the first time ever?

I've mostly been playing Reno N'zoth Rogue, Yogg-stone Mage, and Yogg Hunter with a splash of N'zoth Priest.

N'zoth Priest feels like the most consistent.

Reno N'zoth Rogue feels clooooose to being a really good deck.

Yogg Hunter is CRAZY. Call of the Wild feels like the most powerful card in the Hunter class right now. If you can coin CotW on turn 7 and then cast another on turn 8, you pretty much just win.

Yogg-stone is a lot of fun too. Lots of crazy games.

I have enough to craft another legendary and am torn between Hal (shaman), Chillmaw (N'zoth Priest minus Dragonlord), or BM Thalnos (or Edwin).

Then again, Grom would open up warrior. Twin Emps would open up C'thun Druid and C'thun Warrior.

Man, I wish N'zoth Rogue was thing. I get Miracle being the strongest archtype for Rogue right now, but it's so bo-ring. Journey Below, Huckster, Raptor, and N'zoth have lead to some really great games.

Reached rank 9 today for maybe the first time ever?

I've mostly been playing Reno N'zoth Rogue, Yogg-stone Mage, and Yogg Hunter with a splash of N'zoth Priest.

N'zoth Priest feels like the most consistent.

Reno N'zoth Rogue feels clooooose to being a really good deck.

Yogg Hunter is CRAZY. Call of the Wild feels like the most powerful card in the Hunter class right now. If you can coin CotW on turn 7 and then cast another on turn 8, you pretty much just win.

Yogg-stone is a lot of fun too. Lots of crazy games.

I have enough to craft another legendary and am torn between Hal (shaman), Chillmaw (N'zoth Priest minus Dragonlord), or BM Thalnos (or Edwin).

Then again, Grom would open up warrior. Twin Emps would open up C'thun Druid and C'thun Warrior.

Man, I wish N'zoth Rogue was thing. I get Miracle being the strongest archtype for Rogue right now, but it's so bo-ring. Journey Below, Huckster, Raptor, and N'zoth have lead to some really great games.

What's your rogue deck? I love playing N'Zoth rogue but felt I needed amazing draws to do well.

Ended up relegating it to Wild as it has healbot and sludge belcher.

Took a while but finally hit 60 with the last class I had left, Rogue. C'Thun rogue was fun to play. Now I can go back to playing fun randuinn and yogg decks.

Malice215

I added Yogg-Saron in my N'Zoth Priest deck to spice things up while completing this daily. It's won me a few games and lost me one. Going to try and climb the ladder with it over the weekend.

Huhuran was the first legendary that I crafted and she's done 0 for me. Wish I could get my 1600 dust back, but ended up cutting her for more early game. Call of the Wild has really been the MVP thus far.

KuroNeeko

I added Yogg-Saron in my N'Zoth Priest deck to spice things up while completing this daily. It's won me a few games and lost me one. Going to try and climb the ladder with it over the weekend.

Huhuran was the first legendary that I crafted and she's done 0 for me. Wish I could get my 1600 dust back, but ended up cutting her for more early game. Call of the Wild has really been the MVP thus far.

Well, she'll only get stronger as more DR minions get released!

Took a while but finally hit 60 with the last class I had left, Rogue. C'Thun rogue was fun to play. Now I can go back to playing fun randuinn and yogg decks.

Gratz, dood! I'm at 55 with Priest (and 200 wins.) Only 5 more levels to go (then another 300 wins....)

What's your rogue deck? I love playing N'Zoth rogue but felt I needed amazing draws to do well.

Ended up relegating it to Wild as it has healbot and sludge belcher.

I've been using this list. I checked both Brian Kibler and Strifecro's lists and took what I liked from them.

It has a few cards like Burgle that I just like using.

It could benefit from a BM Thalnos and an Edwin (neither of which I have.) I've been thinking about adding a Sap to deal with the four cost 7/7s from Shaman, but I just haven't been seeing them very often.

The deck is strong-ish against midrange and control. You can Reno multiple times depending on how you use Shadowstep and Shadowcaster. Most I've managed is 4 in one match. Shadowstep and Shadowcaster both offer really flexible plays with Defender of Argus, Raptor, Earthen Ring Farseer, etc.

It's not a tier one deck, but it's fun to play and it feels like it just never runs out of stuff to play.
Good luck and if you see any ways to improve it, drop me a line!

Tarazet

I dusted my Huhuran, she has decent stats but just doesn't provide what you need on turn 5 and beyond. Haven't yet gotten a Call of the Wild and it's just as well, I've never been in love with the class anyway.

clav

Infest with Unleash the Hounds combo is really dirty.

Overdrew a card, but I had so many things to play that a board clear didn't matter.

Malice215

Well, she'll only get stronger as more DR minions get released!

Anything is possible, but I don't see her getting stronger when's she just a one of and needs a decent DR minion on the board. Plus I don't see Blizz going down that road when we just had a bunch of DR minions rotated out this season.

I dusted my Huhuran, she has decent stats but just doesn't provide what you need on turn 5 and beyond. Haven't yet gotten a Call of the Wild and it's just as well, I've never been in love with the class anyway.

People put her in their early decklists, but she doesn't do enough in this meta. I may end up dusting her once I see a deck that I feel like playing and need to craft stuff.

Mulgrok

Made a crappy beast druid deck to do my daily. Actually did OK at rank 5 with it. Quite surprising since I don't have any absurdly OP stuff.

Rosenskjold

Is the current hunter deck a counter to tempo warrior or am I doing something wrong. I lose pretty much all my games. I fight for board control, but they seem to have a lot of strong minions on each turn, especially highmane. Around turn 8-9 they will usually have call of the wild, or if not, have done significant face dmg to me already, and before I can get all my strong minions out I'm dead.

I mulligan for FWA and try to trade with weapons and keep minions on the board. Anyone got some tips :) ?

jgminto

Is the current hunter deck a counter to tempo warrior or am I doing something wrong. I lose pretty much all my games. I fight for board control, but they seem to have a lot of strong minions on each turn, especially highmane. Around turn 8-9 they will usually have call of the wild, or if not, have done significant face dmg to me already, and before I can get all my strong minions out I'm dead.

I mulligan for FWA and try to trade with weapons and keep minions on the board. Anyone got some tips :) ?

I haven't played Tempo Warrior myself yet so I can't give any specific tips but the best way to defeat a Midrange Hunter is to develop your own board as much as possible while removing their big threats. Midrange Hunter has always focused on playing high quality minions and putting the onus on the other player to remove them which means there is very little they can do against a developed board (Juggler/Unleash and Explosive Trap are the only things that could be considered potential clears in most hunter decks) so if you can find a turn to gain board control while executing one of their big threats, you''ll have a better chance maintaining control through double Call.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lost to Reno-Dragon-Cthun Warrior.

Time to commit sudoku.
facepalm.gif

zoukka

OTK warrior is pretty fun. Only Shamans seem to give me issues with their taunt totems/thing from the deep preventing legal.

Zoggy

i got 3 boots in the garden pandaria board and i didn't screenshot it goddamnit fuck

Well, I mean, Kibler is a pretty good player.

don't ever fall for kiblers decks. they actually suck but kibler is damn good and has been playing and even designing card games his whole life so he makes them look easy to play and really good.

Dahbomb

Had a Trolden moment happen against me.

I was playing my Dragonzoth (with Dragonlord) against a Cthun Druid.

Game is going fine until he plays Elise.

Late into the game I have significant advantage on board and he is forced to play a very early Monkey.

I manage to play Nzoth which resurrects Chillmaw and Sylvanas.

He plays Yogg Sauran from his hand (which was created by the Monkey)... the Yogg Entombs Sylvanas and kills Nzoth. I am able to kill off his other previous Legendary and and Yogg with my Chillmaw then put down Deathlord. I still have a bunch of other dragons in play with a bunch of dragons in hand. I have board and card advantage.

Yogg also lays down a Hunter trap. He plays Captain Skycragg and puts me at 10 HP. I am still sitting comfortable. I send one of my minions into Captain, it doesn't trigger a trap so I am thinking its Bear trap or Explosive (also tested for Dart).

At this point the Druid is at lethal with my Dragonlord, I think that if it's either Bear trap or Explosive I have won... I send it to face, it's god damn Misdirection and instead of pointing my Dragonlord to one of my minions it points back at my face and instantly kills me...

I better not see a god damn Trolden video in the upcoming days on this...

Tacitus_

One of these days, huh. I get 2x cthun shieldbearer + cthun in my opening hand, and don't draw a single cthun buffer before dying at turn 11.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Made it to rank 3. Midrange hunter too good right now. Only game I lost throughout rank 4 was because i went dumb for a second and went face with 2 armorsmiths on board.

Probably too standard to post a full decklist, but I think my biggest revelation that I don't see others doing is using tracking over fiery bat. There's just no 2 health minions in the meta to use it against, using it as a 3 attack minion is way too unreliable, and it outright kills your already weak card draw resources. Honestly the only matchup I miss it in is the mirror.

Tracking on the other hand has won me way more games than I expected. Midrange lives or dies by the draw, and tracking makes that draw so much more consistent. I never mulligan it without the coin, and occasionally keep it even with the coin. It's also fun to have a pretty skill based card around to make games feel less automatic.

I also use one Tiger and one Tundra Rhino to split against agro/control which tracking kinda lets you have a little more freedom to do something like that.

And finally, it's probably worth noting Ram Wrangler is a bad card. It has always been a bad card and will continue to be a bad card. I fully believe it's an outright mistake to play it for any reason except for fun. I do not get why that card keeps showing up in competitive hunter decks.

Tacitus_

Haha, Brann + Shieldbearer is such a big fuck you to aggressive players. Beat a tempo mage after he got me down to 2 hp - first healed with a normal Shieldbearer, got Justicar on the field. On the last turn I went from 13 armor to 33 and got him to concede. And got my last win for the 5 wins game quest by beating some sort of aggro druid with it. He ragequit the game after I got 20 armor.

Aoazq_s-200x150.gif

Top Bottom