• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Quixzlizx

I just had an epic victory. I got a mage down to 1 hp, and could've killed him if my Flamewaker RNG hadn't been terrible, and then he played Reno on his next turn. I then played the Flamestrike I had been saving since the first couple of turns and kept board control for the rest of the game, finally killing him as I was taking fatigue damage.

Dahbomb

I played 5 matches as Secret Paladin in this Brawl went 5-1.

My only loss was against a Shaman who was using an entirely Standard deck.

The fact that it was able to stand up to a broken deck from Wild honestly shocked me.

Also Dr Balanced ... this guy earned his god damn title. Especially in this Brawl where they can't answer the 7/7 body.

jgminto

I really miss the Molten Giant aspect of Handlock, pushing them to a point where you could get lethal next turn while trying to stop them from getting massive value off Moltens was such a cool dynamic.

ViviOggi

Anyone here have insight or tips on how to beat Hunter as Tempo Warrior? Can't really find ways to deal with them, particularly Call of the Wild.
Frothing is mvp in that matchup, they can't immediately deal with a turn 2/3 one dropped on an empty board and then you can protect it with monkeys/taurens. They'll have to make extremely wasteful turns to address it later. Clear every last beast when you are able to comfortably, if you can't anymore racing while dropping taunts is a real out. Execute is perfect for Houndmaster targets.

Overall your early game lines up well against theirs, use that to your advantage and be the agressor. Once CoTW is available you should already be pushing, it's not that hot of a card when they're forced to trade into midrange minions. And don't overvalue Armorsmith shenanigans, while a couple of procs are a nice bonus its main purpose is trading down Firebats and tokens. It's all about the board.

Pooya

Molten Giant nerf was the most nonsense nerf in the batch when sea giant wasn't nerfed and it was made easier to play even and when they printed faceless.

Blizzard's testing environment is very flawed, now that the meta has settled just read this...

Molten Giant

Molten Giant is an interesting card, but it’s too easy for players to reduce its mana cost to 0. We’re increasing Molten Giant’s mana cost to 25 to increase the risks players must take to get a free Giant. The changes to Force of Nature and Arcane Golem will make dropping to low health somewhat less risky as well, which helped spur this change.

Less risky to drop to sub 10, lets make it 25 ahahaha.

ViviOggi

Molten Giant nerf was the most nonsense nerf in the batch when sea giant wasn't nerfed and it was made easier to play even and when they printed faceless.

Blizzard's testing environment is very flawed, now that the meta has settled just read this...

That is actually absurd, it's not like Miracle Rogue, Freeze Mage and the classic Leeroy combos aren't known quantities.

Dahbomb

No one respects Handlocks anymore.

Before aggro/midrange decks had to think for a millisecond before dropping down a Handlock to below 15 HP.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Overall your early game lines up well against theirs, use that to your advantage and be the agressor. Once CoTW is available you should already be pushing, it's not that hot of a card when they're forced to trade into midrange minions. And don't overvalue Armorsmith shenanigans, while a couple of procs are a nice bonus its main purpose is trading down Firebats and tokens. It's all about the board.
In practice I just feel like most of my early game comes down to chance, and everything always seems to go the Hunter's way. Between Bat and Toad it's not really that hard for a one damage to tick somewhere on Frothing, or even from your own minions/spells, and then you can see an easy removal from Hunter. If you see Huffer or Misha on the board Frothing is just dead.

squidyj

Anyone here have insight or tips on how to beat Hunter as Tempo Warrior? Can't really find ways to deal with them, particularly Call of the Wild.

have you tried playing the hunter end of that matchup? Knowing what upsets your gameplan as the hunter player, what cards you feel that you need to play around, the things you can't deal with.

This is true for any player struggling with any matchup, know your enemy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
have you tried playing the hunter end of that matchup? Knowing what upsets your gameplan as the hunter player, what cards you feel that you need to play around, the things you can't deal with.

This is true for any player struggling with any matchup, know your enemy.
Would but don't feel like spending the dust on 2x Call.

scarlet

I wondered what are my chances to get legendary if I buy the 40 packs.

Only have 1 legendary from opening packs since I'm playing this for almost 2 months.

inky

Shaman and some variety of Zoo don't. I don't think Hunter runs any either. (Well, I've seen some Dreadscales).

But Rogue, Pally, Warrior, Mage all do in their 2 or 3 different varieties. On top of thay, they run a bunch of epics too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have been doing a little bit better today with a very basic paladin and Cthun mage. I also went 6 wins in arena.

But still, when things go bad I'm still not sure what to blame it on. I definitely catch myself making small little dumb mistakes but often times it feels like things go terribly wrong early on and i never have a chance to recover.

Am i wrong in thinking that decisions early on, in the first four rounds, seem very straight forward?

KuroNeeko

I have been doing a little bit better today with a very basic paladin and Cthun mage. I also went 6 wins in arena.

But still, when things go bad I'm still not sure what to blame it on. I definitely catch myself making small little dumb mistakes but often times it feels like things go terribly wrong early on and i never have a chance to recover.

Am i wrong in thinking that decisions early on, in the first four rounds, seem very straight forward?

From a priest PoV, first turn Cleric is (was) a big decision. If you're running coin, pyromancer, CoH, Blademaster, Soul Priest, and / or Embrace the Shadow, then the early turns can take some thought.

As the game progresses, the path generally becomes fairly clear and decisions are easier to make.

Levi

Banned
Every week I hate these brawls more. I wish they'd stop giving a pack so I could ignore them without feeling like I'm missing out. Or maybe a single fucking brawl that isn't RNG or aggro.

Edit: got my pack on Eu with the classic mage deck recipe. Someone decided to take C'thun Priest into the brawl, so that was lucky for me. On US after 40 minutes of having my creative decks rolled over by aggro I just shat out a win with Shaman. Marvel at my skill 🙄

scarlet

I love the top 2 and spider brawls. I can reach my daily 100 gold easily. But this week? Once is more than enough.

Still stuck at rank 17. Maybe I'll post my deck later for suggestions.

Dahbomb

Best Brawl is still the Dire Fates one (as far as from the ones where you have to make your own deck).

Like you can tell Blizzard legit tried with that one.

Quixzlizx

What kind of deck beats Rend Blackhand other than a pimped out 8k dust Freeze Mage? I usually roll over the adventures, but this stage seems impossible with my low dust aggro/tempo decks. I tried a gimped Freeze Mage without any Doomsayers, Ice Blocks, or legendaries, but I was sitting on a Pyroclasm for most of the game, unable to get him down to 10 health since he had a full board almost every turn as I delayed the inevitable.

the gift box one was pretty good, till ppl just brought warlock

What kind of deck beats Rend Blackhand other than a pimped out 8k dust Freeze Mage? I usually roll over the adventures, but this stage seems impossible with my low dust aggro/tempo decks. I tried a gimped Freeze Mage without any Doomsayers, Ice Blocks, or legendaries, but I was sitting on a Pyroclasm for most of the game, unable to get him down to 10 health since he had a full board almost every turn as I delayed the inevitable.

I hear the AI bugs out if you can get the kelthuzad + target dummy combo since it doesnt want to kill the taunt

if not, hearthpwn or icy-veins usually have a list to play against the solo adventures

Quixzlizx

the gift box one was pretty good, till ppl just brought warlock

I hear the AI bugs out if you can get the kelthuzad + target dummy combo since it doesnt want to kill the taunt

if not, hearthpwn or icy-veins usually have a list to play against the solo adventures

Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow morning. My pride has been seriously salted over.

What a bunch of half-wits. They kill off an entire deck archetype for no reason.

clav

Been laddering with this deck today.

Think it has too many 3s.

HxMCenE.png

Had Sylvanas but I think the Rhino just puts so much pressure on the board when behind a taunt.

Thinking of adding Tomb Spider.

I dusted my KJs when the nerfs occurred. I don't know if he's really required any more although I am missing the KJ + Unleash combo.

Dahbomb

You mean it doesn't work, right? When was the last time you faced a Handlock?
Handlock just transitioned to being Renolock to survive the changes in the meta. Similar concepts.

The OG 4 giants double Drake Handlock with Ancient Watchers was something that was well out of its way prior to standard. People had cut out the Mountain Giants because they were too slow and Ancient Watchers weren't cutting it anymore. Renolock ended up being the superior choice because of the massive heal which allowed the archetype (ie. having a massive hand that they can use to control the board with) to survive.

Handlock was damn near unusable prior to GvG after Naxx was released. Hunter farmed Handlock all day with Undertaker, same with Miracolis. They didn't have the burst healing from the Healbots. Healbot brought Handlock back into the meta in a big way and Grim Patron kept it in relevant for quite some time. Then the game started to become more aggressive after the Patron nerf and Handlock couldn't keep up, had to adjust by becoming either Demonlock or Renolock.

Handlock was at its prime way early into the game when you could feasibly tap 2 turns in a row and then play a discounted Mountain Giant or a massive Twilight Drake. Just try to do that now with all the power creep that has been happening with the early game minions... you will die by turn 5.

All Molten Giant did was make aggro decks think a millisecond before dropping a Handlock below to critical health. That really doesn't matter in this current meta EVEN with a pre nerf Molten Giant... you will get farmed by the Midrange Shaman (which was a bad match up for Handlock EVEN when Handlock was in its prime) and Miracolis.

Honestly losing stuff like Zombie Chow, Healbots and Belchers was a far bigger blow to OG Handlock than the Molten Giant nerf.

Also as an aside someone brought double Mountain Giant, double Drake Handlock with Reno Jackson at a tournament recently. I personally would never even think about running that but it's there at least.

Handlock just transitioned to being Renolock to survive the changes in the meta. Similar concepts.

The OG 4 giants double Drake Handlock with Ancient Watchers was something that was well out of its way prior to standard. People had cut out the Mountain Giants because they were too slow and Ancient Watchers weren't cutting it anymore. Renolock ended up being the superior choice because of the massive heal which allowed the archetype (ie. having a massive hand that they can use to control the board with) to survive.

Handlock was damn near unusable prior to GvG after Naxx was released. Hunter farmed Handlock all day with Undertaker, same with Miracolis. They didn't have the burst healing from the Healbots. Healbot brought Handlock back into the meta in a big way and Grim Patron kept it in relevant for quite some time. Then the game started to become more aggressive after the Patron nerf and Handlock couldn't keep up, had to adjust by becoming either Demonlock or Renolock.

Handlock was at its prime way early into the game when you could feasibly tap 2 turns in a row and then play a discounted Mountain Giant or a massive Twilight Drake. Just try to do that now with all the power creep that has been happening with the early game minions... you will die by turn 5.

All Molten Giant did was make aggro decks think a millisecond before dropping a Handlock below to critical health. That really doesn't matter in this current meta EVEN with a pre nerf Molten Giant... you will get farmed by the Midrange Shaman (which was a bad match up for Handlock EVEN when Handlock was in its prime) and Miracolis.

Honestly losing stuff like Zombie Chow, Healbots and Belchers was a far bigger blow to OG Handlock than the Molten Giant nerf.

Also as an aside someone brought double Mountain Giant, double Drake Handlock with Reno Jackson at a tournament recently. I personally would never even think about running that but it's there at least.
I used to see Renolock and Handlock on the ladder, and at a roughly even rate. I felt like both decks had merits in the meta. Now Handlock is completely dead, and Renolock is mostly dead.

I don't know why they were so down on giving people healing options. Even as a primarily aggro player who hated Healbot at times, I understood the need for the card. The new Acolyte is a pretty iffy option since not all boards are large (or exist at all).

Dahbomb

Renolock is now subjugated to being a "meta counter" deck meaning it's really only going to be relevant when certain decks are on top, like Nzoth decks. And even then Renolock has transitioned to the Combolock playstyle which has Alex + Leeroy + Faceless combo.

Yeah they replaced Healbot with Cult Apothecary which is quite a bit worse. Healbot at least protected you against stuff like Miracoli and Freeze Mage, Cult Apothecary doesn't help you much there. Against a full board, healing for a bit isn't going to swing things in your way that much.. you want to heal AFTER you have cleared their board through stabilization.

Not only were there mediocre neutral healing options but also mediocre taunt and board clear options. It was a triple whammy hit to control decks. No surprise that the best control deck is the Nzoth Paladin deck which already had enough heals to sustain itself and then got two massive heals plus a new win condition.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Omfg Control Shaman. Why? I'm pretty sure his win condition was just to fatigue me, holy shit. I was playing N'Zoth Beast Druid, so I had him beat in the late game as long as he didn't burst me down and I got my N'zoth down before he did, but goddammit. Everyone is aware just how fast Beast Druid can and will run out of steam right? It was an interesting game though. Lots of charge minions to keep the pressure on him. Except. Y'know. Healing Wave. Guy healed for 21 and I only have 12 burst from hand at any one point in time.

The only reason I won was because I got Fandral down with Raven Idol into Onyxia + Raven Idol into Wisp of the Old Gods and another Saber of the Claw. Ultimately he kept overloading himself so much he never got to play big minions.

His deck could've used Totem Golem and Tunnel Trogg for sure. I would've used my removal way before if I'd seen those. Wonder if I can still get to Rank 5 without tryharding too much or playing enough Hearthstone to raise my blood pressure. These days I can handle a maximum of 3 games in a row before I start letting my mood get affected. Win or lose.

Tarazet

Mill Rogue against Bubble Paladin is an utterly stupid and hilarious matchup. I lost track of how many times I played Cult Apothecary and healed myself to full. Also, he Divine Favored and I responded by Vanishing his entire board into oblivion. He lost the game to fatigue entirely because of that play.. he didn't realize I was a mill deck until too late.

Rosenskjold

Games against priests are just so boring. He get's a shifting shade from museum curator, the shifting shade gives him fiery war axe which keeps him in the game. It's one thing to lose against control where they just outplay you, but losing to a priest because he drew a card from your deck, that was just what he needed, just feels lame. It really feels like the priest just wins from pure luck.

edit: well, there's nothing better to lighten up the mood than roll over a shaman.

KuroNeeko

Games against priests are just so boring. He get's a shifting shade from museum curator, the shifting shade gives him fiery war axe which keeps him in the game. It's one thing to lose against control where they just outplay you, but losing to a priest because he drew a card from your deck, that was just what he needed, just feels lame. It really feels like the priest just wins from pure luck.

edit: well, there's nothing better to lighten up the mood than roll over a shaman.

Yeah, but we could just as easily get your Shield Slam. I guess people just don't like the feeling that they're getting beat with their own cards. Kind of the Hearthstone equivalent of "HEY, STOP HITTING YOURSELF! NYUK NYUK NYUK"

Mill Rogue against Bubble Paladin is an utterly stupid and hilarious matchup. I lost track of how many times I played Cult Apothecary and healed myself to full. Also, he Divine Favored and I responded by Vanishing his entire board into oblivion. He lost the game to fatigue entirely because of that play.. he didn't realize I was a mill deck until too late.
Nice! I am also guilty of never knowing I am facing Mill Rogue until it is too late. :p

There are probably several other cards he could have pulled from your deck that would have been even better than that axe.

Rosenskjold

This must be the evo shaman equivalent to Malkorok giving you cursed blade:

5bY9UBH.jpg

Yeah, but we could just as easily get your Shield Slam. I guess people just don't like the feeling that they're getting beat with their own cards.

It's true, that's why I tried to say that's what it feels like, not that it is so ;) Priest isn't exactly dominating the meta so it's not that they're OP, just feels upsetting losing to your own cards.

ZealousD, I see you trying in OT, and we both know it's like iceskating uphill.

yes anduin is and always will be, a fuckboi
I don't even know what this means.

I think Blizzard is struggling to create 9 class identities in this game, and that's reasonable. MtG only has 5, and Spellweaver tried to make a 6th. Duelyst only has 5. 9 card factions with unique ways of playing is a big project. I think it's clear that Blizzard failed, but I don't fault them for still trying to find identities. Except when they decide Rogue should start encroaching on Priest territory.

Top Bottom