• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

I actually think it's kinda neat. The concept of a competitive card dungeon crawl is more interesting than going with the traditional format.
Play it for a month and tell me if you feel that way still. I think the idea will get old extremely fast. There's just so little interaction with your opponent. It would be much more interesting if you were setting up minions for your opponent to fight, but even in the fighting there's no strategy involved.

fertygo

Play it for a month and tell me if you feel that way still. I think the idea will get old extremely fast. There's just so little interaction with your opponent. It would be much more interesting if you were setting up minions for your opponent to fight, but even in the fighting there's no strategy involved.

Maybe match between 2 guys that knows the meta will vastly different?

I imagine you can set up specific setup when your opponent set big hit to his resource, hp n such

this game is like you set boulderfist ogre to hitting yourself not enemy, but reward you set-up for next turn.. the enemy can plan something if he think you set-up something

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
A major problem for me right now is not keeping track of lethal. I get so caught on board control that I lose sight of winning the game.

A major problem for me right now is not keeping track of lethal. I get so caught on board control that I lose sight of winning the game.

You can kinda "cheat" this by just asking yourself "do I have lethal?" like everytime you have a decent board going or your opponent is sub 15 health. It doesn't take long to figure out if you have it or if you're not even close. The real problem is figuring out those really hard lethals that you have to make tons of calculations for like with Frothing.

Fishlake

I imagine you can set up specific setup when your opponent set big hit to his resource, hp n such

this game is like you set boulderfist ogre to hitting yourself not enemy, but reward you set-up for next turn.. the enemy can plan something if he think you set-up something

I've been playing it for a few weeks now and I personally think there is more interaction with the opponent then in hearthstone. Since you are playing monsters against yourself you are leaving openings that the opponent can take advantage of whether it is the preparation before or the strength of the monster itself.

It is also worth noting the difference between spend, remove and damage. Spend has to remove the requirement to work, remove will happen no matter what and damage has to go through armor before it reaches health. You can remove health from you opponent behind there armor killing them in the process. You also need to stop them from getting to there win condition. This can be done by sabotaging there weapon, gold or armor since many cards interact with one of these 3 things.

We really need a thread for this game.

Ladekabel

I got Totemic Might by an opponent Spellslinger 3 times in a row now.

Ragnaros Wow-Emote is "So Hot". Would make Majordomo playable for me.

Xanathus

I've been playing it for a few weeks now and I personally think there is more interaction with the opponent then in hearthstone. Since you are playing monsters against yourself you are leaving openings that the opponent can take advantage of whether it is the preparation before or the strength of the monster itself.

It is also worth noting the difference between spend, remove and damage. Spend has to remove the requirement to work, remove will happen no matter what and damage has to go through armor before it reaches health. You can remove health from you opponent behind there armor killing them in the process. You also need to stop them from getting to there win condition. This can be done by sabotaging there weapon, gold or armor since many cards interact with one of these 3 things.

We really need a thread for this game.
Yeah, I played it a bit and I can see that there is interaction with the opponent especially with guessing what counters/buffs they might play near the end of the game. It's sort of like playing Freeze Mage or Handlock mirror matches, the interaction is indirect but it's there. The thing I dislike about the game is that matches take too long because of all the useless animations, and I also don't want to put another F2P game with daily quests on my plate.

Playing Paladin at the moment.

The best way to get started is to think about trading.

Say you have a 2/2 on the board and your opponent also has a 2/2. What should you do? Should you attack into the minion or go face? This represents a lot of the choice you will face early on.

Well the answer is most likely to be to trade into that minion. Why? Well your opponent is going to probably have a card that can kill your 2/2 for free, leaving their 2/2 on the board to do more damage.

But what if instead of a 2/2. you had a 2/3? Well you could trade into the opponents 2/2 and still leave yourself a 2/1. This gives them a chance to attack into something else, or waste your opponents turn using their hero power to kill it.

This is the key to getting started. Look at what your opponents are playing and try to "1 up" them so you get favourable trades. Cards that can help you do this are shattered sun cleric, dire wolf alpha and stormwind champion.

As you get more cards, you'll get more experience and options, but keep it simple for now. Your win condition is trading often enough that you are left with 2 or 3 minions on the board and your opponent has run out of cards to play themselves. Then you go for damage and hope they don't have some sort of comeback mechanic.

24hr

Play mage, is the most beginner friendly class

The best way to get started is to think about trading.

Say you have a 2/2 on the board and your opponent also has a 2/2. What should you do? Should you attack into the minion or go face? This represents a lot of the choice you will face early on.

Well the answer is most likely to be to trade into that minion. Why? Well your opponent is going to probably have a card that can kill your 2/2 for free, leaving their 2/2 on the board to do more damage.

But what if instead of a 2/2. you had a 2/3? Well you could trade into the opponents 2/2 and still leave yourself a 2/1. This gives them a chance to attack into something else, or waste your opponents turn using their hero power to kill it.

This is the key to getting started. Look at what your opponents are playing and try to "1 up" them so you get favourable trades. Cards that can help you do this are shattered sun cleric, dire wolf alpha and stormwind champion.

As you get more cards, you'll get more experience and options, but keep it simple for now. Your win condition is trading often enough that you are left with 2 or 3 minions on the board and your opponent has run out of cards to play themselves. Then you go for damage and hope they don't have some sort of comeback mechanic.

Brilliant posts, cheers. Should I just stick with the default decks for now or look up about creating my own?

Brilliant posts, cheers. Should I just stick with the default decks for now or look up about creating my own?

To be honest "classic paladin" looks pretty solid. Just substitute the best "big card" for tirion and try to build the rest. If you make efficient trades you should be able to get started and substitute in stronger cards as you get them.

For example river crock is ok as a 2/3, but you'll probably be able to get a 2/3 that also does "something" like a flame juggler at some stage.

Fuck all the players who rope every turn for a simple play.

Why can't Norzdomu have like a 2-3 mana cost and stealth.
I do this quite often, and it's because I'm multi-tasking.

But there's nothing you can do to prevent it. That's what makes it lame. My opponent can set up whatever creatures he wants, and I can't interact with them at all. My interactions with my opponent are minimal. You literally set up a bunch of minions and then watch a 1-minute movie of everything getting attacked.

embalm

I hit Legend with Tempo Warrior last night. If you want any advice or tips on the deck just ask away. I love a good tempo deck and this one is a lot of fun to play. It's like the best parts of Patron without having to wait 4 turns to draw your combo.

I thought I'd share a little revelation that I had around rank 3.

Zoo is usually a really good match up for Warrior, but on Tuesday I played against the same guy 3 times in a row. This guy really knew how to play zoo against Tempo Warrior. He absolutely rocked me in all 3 games and in 2 of those games I had a decent opening hand. He played around whirlwinds, kept track of them, made great trades, he held cards for larger tempo turns, and just overall gave me a straight up tutorial in how to play hearthstone. There were a few times that I swear he new exactly what was in my hand.

The lesson is to not give up when you get a bad match up. You can outplay a bad match up if you learn how to. The key is that it often means playing your deck differently than you are used to.

These matches inspired me to look at my bad match up against mid-range Hunter differently. I was easily losing 80% of those games. So I changed my play style from tempo to control vs Hunter.
I used all my spells for removal and ignored their extra benefits. (Blood ichor gives you a 2/2 if the target lives, Slam draws a card if the target lives, so I gave up the bonus and used them to kill targets)
I did not use Fiery War Axe for minion removal in the early game, because my health is too limited in that match up. (In every other match up your health doesn't matter at all and you usually inflict more on yourself from weapons than your opponent does)
I tried hard to remove everything at any cost, even giving up Executes to avoid letting him have beast synergy.
Then over turns 5, 6, and 7 I would explode onto the board with as many minions as possible in an attempt to out value anything they could play.
Over the last 3 days I've had more wins against Hunter than losses. It's likely the deck should still beat mine, but they aren't used to being counter played yet. Just like I had never been counter played by a Zoo deck before.

Levi

Banned
I hit Legend with Tempo Warrior last night. If you want any advice or tips on the deck just ask away. I love a good tempo deck and this one is a lot of fun to play. It's like the best parts of Patron without having to wait 4 turns to draw your combo.

Tempo is an awesome deck, but at rank 9/8 I'm mostly seeing Hunter decks (that new Camel/Secretkeeper deck is so annoying, btw) and I'm like 20% against those. (I saw your write up, good stuff) so I switched over to Control Warrior and I feel so much stronger vs those Hunter decks.

Still losing to aggro Shaman when they go T1-Trog, T2-Golem, T-3 Golem, T4-Feral, which is 90% of them.

Ladekabel

Has anyone seen Blood Warriors be played? I think it was Lifecoach who revealed it and he seemed to be pretty psyched about it but I haven't seen it work yet.

Rosenskjold

I thought I'd share a little revelation that I had around rank 3.

Zoo is usually a really good match up for Warrior, but on Tuesday I played against the same guy 3 times in a row. This guy really knew how to play zoo against Tempo Warrior. He absolutely rocked me in all 3 games and in 2 of those games I had a decent opening hand. He played around whirlwinds, kept track of them, made great trades, he held cards for larger tempo turns, and just overall gave me a straight up tutorial in how to play hearthstone. There were a few times that I swear he new exactly what was in my hand.

The lesson is to not give up when you get a bad match up. You can outplay a bad match up if you learn how to. The key is that it often means playing your deck differently than you are used to.

These matches inspired me to look at my bad match up against mid-range Hunter differently. I was easily losing 80% of those games. So I changed my play style from tempo to control vs Hunter.
I used all my spells for removal and ignored their extra benefits. (Blood ichor gives you a 2/2 if the target lives, Slam draws a card if the target lives, so I gave up the bonus and used them to kill targets)
I did not use Fiery War Axe for minion removal in the early game, because my health is too limited in that match up. (In every other match up your health doesn't matter at all and you usually inflict more on yourself from weapons than your opponent does)
I tried hard to remove everything at any cost, even giving up Executes to avoid letting him have beast synergy.
Then over turns 5, 6, and 7 I would explode onto the board with as many minions as possible in an attempt to out value anything they could play.
Over the last 3 days I've had more wins against Hunter than losses. It's likely the deck should still beat mine, but they aren't used to being counter played yet. Just like I had never been counter played by a Zoo deck before.

Great read. Trying to figure out how to beat hunter myself. I'm usually trying to sit on cards like ww, brawl, execute to deal with turn 8 call of the wild.
Are you on EU? Would love to see some games where you show your strategy against different matchups

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I did it! Fina-fucking-ly did it! Only Rank 5 but goddammit I've been working towards this so long. Finally got there when I switched to Ramp Druid. I think I'm gonna play until I lose a rank and then I'm done for the month.

Warlock needs a minion that does something affecting the board upon discard

Also a cool card could be a minion that gives warlock 0 mana hero power and also has "inspire: discard a card" (except worded so you can't discard the card you drew?)

And/or a minion with "inspire: both players discard a card"

embalm

Tempo is an awesome deck, but at rank 9/8 I'm mostly seeing Hunter decks (that new Camel/Secretkeeper deck is so annoying, btw) and I'm like 20% against those. (I saw your write up, good stuff) so I switched over to Control Warrior and I feel so much stronger vs those Hunter decks.

Still losing to aggro Shaman when they go T1-Trog, T2-Golem, T-3 Golem, T4-Feral, which is 90% of them.
Are you running Blood to Ichor in your Control deck? That card was always good against Shaman and Hunter. It beats or trades with almost all of their 1 or 2 drops, and if they don't play anything it's a great keep to add to the board, ping damage, or use for draw in the later game.

embalm

Great read. Trying to figure out how to beat hunter myself. I'm usually trying to sit on cards like ww, brawl, execute to deal with turn 8 call of the wild.
Are you on EU? Would love to see some games where you show your strategy against different matchups
I'm on NA.

You really should fight as hard as you can to be winning by turn 8 so that the Hunter is using Call of Wild to try an stabilize and not as a finisher. It is a coin flip as to who wins this battle, you have lots of things to counter them and they have things to counter you, so play it out.
Tempo Warrior should have better late game and more card draw. So if you have a chance to make use of those you generally win.

The match up is very similar to Miracle Rogue. If you force them to use their out of hand damage on your board, they will often loss to your board presence, late game threats and taunts, or you will armor up to be just out of lethal range for most the match.

You should also create a Mid-range hunter deck and play a few matches in Casual. It will help you get familiar with what threats the deck has and you get to see how opponents hand them.

I didn't run Brawl at all and I would cut it in Tempo Warrior. You want to be playing pro-actively almost every turn to give you the best chance. The number of games that a good 4 drop would have been better than Brawl should far out way the number of times you actually need Brawl.

Levi

Banned
Has anyone seen Blood Warriors be played? I think it was Lifecoach who revealed it and he seemed to be pretty psyched about it but I haven't seen it work yet.

I experimented with it. It's a "win-more" card. Awful if you're behind, and if you have a bunch of good minions on board, you have to damage them all to get value, which can be awkward.

Too slow for a fast deck like Tempo Warrior and Control Warrior doesn't generally fill the board.

I had some really good turns where I was able to get Grom and Ragnaros on board and then copy them... but I was already gonna win because I had Grom and Rag on board, ya know?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Lol, where do you work?
I record depositions so mainly my job is to listen to the audio feed and make sure they camera is on and centered. Lots of possible Hearthstone time. Also let's me pull away for a minute if something requires my attention. Cause god help me if I fuck up. It's an easy job. I just need to pay attention and be able to react somewhat instantly.

Coincidentally, my win rate with Miracle Rogue is much higher on desktop than it is on mobile. I need to focus on playing low decision making decks when I'm at work. Might help a lot. Ie, no playing Tempo Warrior or Mage at work.
So that's why I always see tons of Shaman during the day.
The meta changes during the time of day almost as much as the day of the week.
In order of severity I think it's
Whatever day tempostorm releases the meta snapshot > Week of month > day of week > time of day

Tarazet

I experimented with it. It's a "win-more" card. Awful if you're behind, and if you have a bunch of good minions on board, you have to damage them all to get value, which can be awkward.

Too slow for a fast deck like Tempo Warrior and Control Warrior doesn't generally fill the board.

I had some really good turns where I was able to get Grom and Ragnaros on board and then copy them... but I was already gonna win because I had Grom and Rag on board, ya know?

Damaging your own minions is awkward, period. I try to avoid it entirely if the board is empty, because most of the time I've given the opponent a get out of jail free card. If you do have damaged minions and want to get value out of them, Battle Rage is better because it also activates if the hero is damaged, so it is never a dead draw. Rampage is also absolutely playable in this meta since silence is nowhere to be found.

Coincidentally, my win rate with Miracle Rogue is much higher on desktop than it is on mobile. I need to focus on playing low decision making decks when I'm at work. Might help a lot. Ie, no playing Tempo Warrior or Mage at work.

So that's why I always see tons of Shaman during the day.

Tacitus_

Oh wow, Savjz played himself hard. His Sylvanas stole an acolyte of pain and then he buffed it with Lantern.... vs a C'thun warrior.

:lol

Took something like 50 fatigue damage in one turn :lol

Tacitus_

Well, I wouldn't rea--

OK FAIR ENOUGH

:p

He got really off his game when he couldn't remember what his last card was and had to decide to play Sylvanas or burn a card. Then it just went downhill from there.

Though he did play Yogg druid to top 20 legend... yesterday or the day before it.

Tarazet

The meta changes during the time of day almost as much as the day of the week.
In order of severity I think it's
Whatever day tempostorm releases the meta snapshot > Week of month > day of week > time of day

The times I'm usually playing, I queue into tons of Priest. Was trying to play Tempo Warrior yesterday.. six Anduins in a row. I thought I was cursed. But nope, maybe it really is just the time of day and I should play Rogue at that time of day...

VoxPop

Just wrecked Kolento at Rank 6 earlier today with my mid range hunter. Not sure if it's really him but he had the legend cardback and golden Paladin. Feels good.

Ladekabel

May is going absolutely terrible for me. Could always go at least rank 10 in the last couple of months but this time the game was against me most of the time. Dead draws, not topdecking my answers when I needed them, my opponent topdecking his answers when needed, bad rng outcomes and so on.

These things happen every month and I often complain about them but it was never as extreme as it was this month. At least that I noticed. And I don't want to blame it all on the game. There were times when I misplayed because I was mad.

Sure there were times when I was lucky. Right now, just when I'm complaining I topdecked a Whirlwind to get lethal with Gromm. The game never pissed me more off than it did this month.

Had to get this off the chest.

Top Bottom