• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Hycran

Banned
May is going absolutely terrible for me. Could always go at least rank 10 in the last couple of months but this time the game was against me most of the time. Dead draws, not topdecking my answers when I needed them, my opponent topdecking his answers when needed, bad rng outcomes and so on.

These things happen every month and I often complain about them but it was never as extreme as it was this month. At least that I noticed. And I don't want to blame it all on the game. There were times when I misplayed because I was mad.

Sure there were times when I was lucky. Right now, just when I'm complaining I topdecked a Whirlwind to get lethal with Gromm. The game never pissed me more off than it did this month.

Had to get this off the chest.

Play the tempostorm zoo if you want to reach a rank this month, I had it take me pretty much straight from 8 to 5 with a few stumbles, really strong deck and not too difficult to pilot

Dahbomb

Just wrecked Kolento at Rank 6 earlier today with my mid range hunter. Not sure if it's really him but he had the legend cardback and golden Paladin. Feels good.
I played that guy just today at around the same rank but I don't think that's Kolento.

Pooya

Kolento uses overwatch card back and he's in China right now playing CN vs EU. He's also single digit legend and almost always plays on EU.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thoughts on my Cthun Mage deck?

I took out a novice engineer for the Doomcaller because i felt useless late game if my Cthun didn't do lethal.

I have very few legendaries, basically just what came with LOE and Alexstraza. I have very few cards overall.

Any comments on obvious places to improve the deck? I feel like there are very few low cost minions but don't know what to replace.

tEcLW9v.jpg

clav

Cult Sorcerer if you get it from a pack.

Maybe Dalaran Aspirant for a cheap alternative although it's kinda slow and doesn't really fit since you should be playing cards that buff C'Thun.

clav

brann as well since your deck is mainly battle cries.

Sometimes Faceless Summoner spawns Brann although his effect doesn't stack when you have two.

Still a decent card to add.

If C'Thun dies and you get Brann to combo with Doomcaller, that's one way to keep pressure.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just beat a Freeze Mage in the Brawl by earth shocking my own Dust Devil. He wasn't able to kill off his own Scientist anymore to get Iceblock.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
brann as well since your deck is mainly battle cries.

What would you ditch for him?

Would you wait to use him late as a part of a combo to make sure there is some effect or use it early and just risk it and hope you get another turn with him? I guess that largely depends on what kind of deck you're facing.

What would you ditch for him?

Would you wait to use him late as a part of a combo to make sure there is some effect or use it early and just risk it and hope you get another turn with him? I guess that largely depends on what kind of deck you're facing.

you could drop the 2nd arcane intellect

I do feel like I'm not getting great value from those but to contradict myself I also often feel card strapped. The one acolyte will be my only other card draw.

Well the deck is fine even w/ out changing cards. You can also swap out one of the polymorphs for something else as well. The other thing you can do is cut a bit back on some of the cthun activators. Like you can drop one of the twilight elders for something else as well.

It would be cool to see an effigy in there but it's pretty hard to put it out on the same turn w/ doomcaller or cthun

scarlet

6/6 C'thun against my 3 grim patron lol

I'm feeling excited again playing this game with pirate face warrior. Shorter match if I compare it to my (tempo?) mage which could take more than 15 minutes each match.

Levi

Banned
Kripp just went 12-1. He is on another level lately.

Third 12 win run in a two and I believe that of his last 14, only two had fewer than 12 wins.

People shit on Kripp, but he can play this game.

clav

12 win streak for at least a week of streaming.

Insane.

I think he's been getting really decent cards in his draft.

I noticed my average bumped up to 6 wins recently even though I don't draft great cards.

Third 12 win run in a two and I believe that of his last 14, only two had fewer than 12 wins.

People shit on Kripp, but he can play this game.

It is worth noting that all this pretty much coincided with him playing Arena earlier in his stream to avoid snipers and the group of people who lined up crazy decks against him.

Seems he had a point.

inky

How do you snipe someone when you can't choose who you face and twitch is on a delay?

It's not that hard. You face someone with a similar amount of wins and the delay is pretty short, so you just have to queue at a similar time.

Funnily enough, Kripp demonstrated it by sniping other people fairly easily while they were streaming too.

Oh so people aren't seeking him out they just see who it is and turn on the stream. Got it.

No people seek him out as well. If you are 10-0 you can just wait and queue at the same time. The pool of players at that rank is very small....at least compared to other ranks.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So I had an idea for a deck. A deck that just has pile of stats minions. Overstat'd 1 all the way up to 7 drops that wins by getting 2 for 1 trades. Then I realized that that's basically Dragon Priest. I want to play Dragom Priest.

Does Dragon Priest work without Ysera and Twilight Gusrdians? I'm thinking of just crafting at least the Guardians just to try it out.

So I had an idea for a deck. A deck that just has pile of stats minions. Overstat'd 1 all the way up to 7 drops that wins by getting 2 for 1 trades. Then I realized that that's basically Dragon Priest. I want to play Dragom Priest.

Does Dragon Priest work without Ysera and Twilight Gusrdians? I'm thinking of just crafting at least the Guardians just to try it out.
Yeah, but it doesn't work in this meta, IMO. Not when Shaman get a 7/7 for 4, or a 3/4 for 2.

You basically want to play Shaman.

clav

You can replace Ysera with Rafaam. Chromoney aka Chromaggus may work, too.

Chillmaw is key, which is why my Dragon Priest sucks.

Typically the little whelps or other dragons act as activators. Really good if you can combo with Brann.

Yeah, but it doesn't work in this meta, IMO. Not when Shaman get a 7/7 for 4, or a 3/4 for 2.

You basically want to play Shaman.

Usually you're happy when you see Hunter.

it'd work w/o ysera if you have another big dragon. but twilight guardians are pretty essential I say. For dragon decks you want at least 8 dragons in there

The typical budget Dragon Priest finishers are Chromaggus and Nefarian. You can use pretty much any big card though. I had a lot of success with Paletress pre-standard. If you have Chillmaw you can find a spot for N'Zoth and Sylvannas and make a deathrattle hybrid.

Twilight Guardians are a must-have though.

Tarazet

I do well with C'Thun Druid, but everyone else says it is weak so I didn't want to give bad advice.

I don't see how. It has enough early control that it's hard to rush down, and it dominates the late game with huge stacks of beef everywhere. It's probably the best Timmy deck for right now.

I don't see how. It has enough early control that it's hard to rush down, and it dominates the late game with huge stacks of beef everywhere. It's probably the best Timmy deck for right now.
Dunno. Everyone here says Druid is terrible, and Tempostorm has all 3 Druid decks at tier 3. There was less Druid than Priest at the last tournament event, IIRC. Everyone seems down on the class.

Tarazet

Dunno. Everyone here says Druid is terrible, and Tempostorm has all 3 Druid decks at tier 3. There was less Druid than Priest at the last tournament event, IIRC. Everyone seems down on the class.

It's good for grinding out easy wins against certain matchups, but it's nothing like how Combo Druid was beforehand. If they're expecting to autowin the way that old deck did, of course it's not that good, but the deck is all right and can be extremely annoying on ladder.

Midrange Hunter beat Midrange Shaman handily, destroy Tempo Warrior too,, they're the best midrange deck I think
I don't know about Tempo Warrior, but Midrange Shaman crushes all Hunter decks. Hunters don't even have a decent minion to play until turn 3. The class sucks.

It's good for grinding out easy wins against certain matchups, but it's nothing like how Combo Druid was beforehand. If they're expecting to autowin the way that old deck did, of course it's not that good, but the deck is all right and can be extremely annoying on ladder.
Agreed.

I disagree that it dominates the late game. Control warrior, priest and c'thun druid crush it because it really is one note.

And that is why it is a good, but not great deck. Straight ramp or fandrel is going to be better, because then you can dominate slower decks with a half good draw.

fertygo

I don't know about Tempo Warrior, but Midrange Shaman crushes all Hunter decks. Hunters don't even have a decent minion to play until turn 3. The class sucks.

that's why they don't play minion on first 2 turn, they play freezing trap and doomsayer, toad and elekk actually fine tho

turn 3 above, they unstoppable

my record as shaman against them is 4-14 worst matchup by far

jgminto

How do I fix this so I win more than I lose

Add a second Shieldbearer, Brawls and Shield Slams, remove Kor'kron and Arcanite Reaper, swap Whirlwind for Revenge. Scale back the amount of C'thun buffs to the best ones, Warrior doesn't need vanilla 2/3s and the 3/6 taunts might be better than the 4/2 and 3/4. Add a second Acolyte, maybe switch Bash for another Shield Block since you've got the Disciples. Twin Emperors, Grommash, Sylvanas, Elise and a Gorehowl would also be possible options.

Top Bottom