• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Playing Shaman because they keep giving me that 60g quest.

I was gonna bitch that I never get the OP opening draw, like every other Shaman on ladder, but it doesn't matter.

Barely paying attention, don't even remember what's in the deck, winning anyway.
Man, your salt is unreal haha.

I swear I almost never get the perfect Shaman curve either. It's part of why I play midrange instead of aggro.

zoukka

Paladin, too, to a certain extent. You can have a really good Paladin deck or a really shitty one if it doesn't have any Truesilvers, Muster for Battles, Keepers, Shielded Minibots, Cog Hammer, Consecration, or Murloc Knight.

So basically if you don't get any paladin commons in a paladin draft, you're fucked.

cHinzo

For the people who play wild. Do they still play Secret Paladin there or are there better decks since the Old Gods came out?

Levi

Banned
For the people who play wild. Do they still play Secret Paladin there or are there better decks since the Old Gods came out?

Still secret paladin all over the wild ladder. They'll all move over to standard once they get enough dust to craft a couple doomhammers, though.

cHinzo

Still secret paladin all over the wild ladder. They'll all move over to standard once they get enough dust to craft a couple doomhammers, though.

Welp imma stick to standard then. I do miss a lot of cards from Naxx/GvG though. A lot of em were very fun to use. :|

Jrmint

I played a Secret Pally today in standard at Rank 9, he was using random shit like Sacred Trial, needless to say it was not a good deck and I won pretty easily.

LamoTheClown

Neo Member
Fuck this Shaman BS. If there was a deck with a good matchup vs aggro shaman and an auto-loss against everyone else I'd probably still play it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Reposting my current Cthun mage deck and looking for some help on mulligans.

What should i really be wanting to keep? Currently i am keeping a 2/3/4 minion and frostbolt. If i have repeating value minions i will usually drop one.

tEcLW9v.jpg

Dahbomb

Fuck this Shaman BS. If there was a deck with a good matchup vs aggro shaman and an auto-loss against everyone else I'd probably still play it.
Need a deck that does well against Midrange Shaman too. Unfortunately I could not find one that wins against both at a win rate higher than 60% consistently.

LamoTheClown

Neo Member
Need a deck that does well against Midrange Shaman too. Unfortunately I could not find one that wins against both at a win rate higher than 60% consistently.

I've been experimenting with a tempo rogue today with undercity valiants but it's too reliant on good draws

VoxPop

Mid range hunter isn't bad. They have a decent amount of answers. I usually do well with Nzoth Priest as well. Also you can just run Shaman yourself :p

Dahbomb

Mid range hunter isn't bad. They have a decent amount of answers. I usually do well with Nzoth Priest as well. Also you can just run Shaman yourself :p
I mean of course I can run Shaman and I SHOULD run Shaman but I want to exhaust all match up options before coming to the final conclusion.

Can't diss the community for being uncreative without trying to find solutions yourself.

fertygo

Midrange Hunter

I said before and I said it again, Shaman key card just weak for this matchup

Feral Spirit and Flamewreath maybe shouldn't played if you could against hunter, how you even win without feral tho

Control based Warrior also bad matchup

Dahbomb

Shaman dominates Hunter from turn 1-5.

Turn 1 they play Firebat, you play Trogg. Good chance the Trogg survives and still keeps hitting face.

Totem Golem beats all Hunter 2 drops except a lucky Toad.

Feral Spirit beats every 3 drop of Hunter and Tuskar Totemic is usually competitive too.

Turn 4 Faceless enough said.

Turn 5 Shaman pulls out Doomhammer or a discounted Thing of Deep plus another drop.

By the time Highmane drops, Shaman usually has Hex to whoop you with.

Shaman plays Midrange better than Hunter does.

Control Warrior loses to Midrange Shaman which is why it has all but phased out in favor of Tempo Warrior which fares better.

Full Fatigue warrior is effective if you can mulligan for an execute. Midrange doesn't actually carry much in the way of big threats and dominates by flooding the board with stuff that has reduced cost.

So execute the 7/7 and then you can brawl the rest while staying out of burst range.

The problem is it'll be effective, but of course very slow.

Dahbomb

Control is ineffective against Midrange Shaman.

Shaman wins against Control by just pumping totems and then finishing with Bloodlust or Thunderbluff. Early game pressure with fat minions is enough to finish with Totem burst.

You can't go about removing every single Totem Shaman summons. And the totems are strong in late game because they start blocking stronger minions, healing minions and chipping away at HP. They make it so that Shaman doesn't have to commit too much on to the board against slow control decks.

Sure against aggro Shaman control strategy works fine even if you can still get run over by the deck but Midrange Shaman is a different story altogether.

Control is ineffective against Midrange Shaman.

Shaman wins against Control by just pumping totems and then finishing with Bloodlust or Thunderbluff. Early game pressure with fat minions is enough to finish with Totem burst.

You can't go about removing every single Totem Shaman summons. And the totems are strong in late game because they start blocking stronger minions, healing minions and chipping away at HP. They make it so that Shaman doesn't have to commit too much on to the board against slow control decks.

Sure against aggro Shaman control strategy works fine even if you can still get run over by the deck but Midrange Shaman is a different story altogether.

sjow did pretty well w/ cthun warrior vs midrange shaman.

Dahbomb

sjow did pretty well w/ cthun warrior vs midrange shaman.
I am not personally convinced.

If anything I think Dragon Warrior would fair better.

Alex Champion punishes turn 1 Trogg and allows you to contest the Totem Golem with a follow up to retain tempo.

Blacking Corruptors can snipe Troggs behind Feral Spirits.

Chillmaw can also hold back the aggression/bait the hex.

Plus you can match their curve with over stated dragons of your own if you get the synergies line up. Though Dragon Warrior plays more like a Midrange deck.

Dahbomb

Shaman can just deny good Brawls though. Of course that's going into territory of Shaman player needing to play well and that may not always happen. So I can see that logic.

Revenge is pretty good in the meta right now. I would run it for sure. Lots of 3 HP Shaman minions.

fertygo

Shaman dominates Hunter from turn 1-5.

Turn 1 they play Firebat, you play Trogg. Good chance the Trogg survives and still keeps hitting face.

Totem Golem beats all Hunter 2 drops except a lucky Toad.

Feral Spirit beats every 3 drop of Hunter and Tuskar Totemic is usually competitive too.

Turn 4 Faceless enough said.

Turn 5 Shaman pulls out Doomhammer or a discounted Thing of Deep plus another drop.

By the time Highmane drops, Shaman usually has Hex to whoop you with.

Shaman plays Midrange better than Hunter does.

Control Warrior loses to Midrange Shaman which is why it has all but phased out in favor of Tempo Warrior which fares better.
Nah man

Doomsayer/freeze trap turn 2, swing the tempo empty the board

btw Caron Grub is better 3 drop than Feral especially followed with houndmaster, Hunter also can weapon up at turn 3

Feral will just destroyed by quick shot or bow, worse if they actually have first turn.. they can one up minion after killing feral

7/7? deadly shot.. Shaman have empty board on turn 4 is happen often at this matchup, man yall gotta give up about this.. dropping this guy on naked board isn't good play except against druid

Tempo Warrior is much more favorable matchup than Control bro, its board based battle afterall.. you don't win against Shaman in minion fight

Levi

Banned
First 12 win arena today! Thanks to Levi for a few games.

Pack was disappointing, but nevertheless, 12 wins! Wow.

Took one year and 3 months.

I had zero flamestrikes and 2 frostbolts.

Congrats on the 12!! I couldn't watch that last game, too stressful.

I dropped to rank 10 playing tempo, dragon, and control warrior... couldn't make any headway. Threw this deck together out of pure "IDGAF" spite and went 7-2 to get back up to the middle of rank 8. Six of those 9 games were the same fucking Shaman deck (I think 60% of the ladder from 25-legend are running the exact same list verbatim FFS), and I beat it five times. Saw two hunters, one of whom Black Knighted my 2/6 taunt and I was like "ooooh, you're gonna regret that."

e3ruLQA.png

First version had Blood Warriors because I wanted to duplicate my Soggoth, and out of the first 7 matches the only time it was worth it was when I duplicted two Armorsmiths against an aggressive Shaman and ended up with 4 Armorsmiths on the board. That was some serious lifegain than even his damage output couldn't keep pace with. I cut it (sad) and put in Harrison. Since literally the only decks I see are Hunter and Shaman (and one Bubble Paladin) it makes sense to run him even if it is a boring ass card.

Dahbomb

Says can't win against Shaman in minion battle...

Makes argument on how Midrange Hunter beats Midrange Shaman.

Also Deadly Shot AND Doomsayer to counter early game Shaman aggression, man you better hope they don't have Shock or Hex because otherwise you will lose game on spot. Worst yet if they have a Trogg and a Golem in play and you play Doomsayer only to be answered by Flametongue.

Even if you Deadly Shot a Faceless, you haven't actually gained board presence over a Shaman.

The best deck against Midrange Shaman is Zoolock IMO as long as Zoo dodges Lightning Storm.

fertygo

Says can't win against Shaman in minion battle...

Makes argument on how Midrange Hunter beats Midrange Shaman.

Also Deadly Shot AND Doomsayer to counter early game Shaman aggression, man you better hope they don't have Shock or Hex because otherwise you will lose game on spot. Worst yet if they have a Trogg and a Golem in play and you play Doomsayer only to be answered by Flametongue.

Even if you Deadly Shot a Faceless, you haven't actually gained board presence over a Shaman.

The best deck against Midrange Shaman is Zoolock IMO as long as Zoo dodges Lightning Storm.
Because Hunter minion isn't baaaaaad?

you look into their list

They Have Kodo, Infested Wolf and you know most powerful non legendary minion in the game

they also have decent removal and buff

they actually can won minion battle with their ability to made it 1 vs 1, Shaman won by ganging up poor sob in ruthless way.. if you can made it 1 vs 1 you had your chance

btw only foolish player throw doomsayer in 2 vs 0 board

Dahbomb

Hunter does have some good minions but not a lot in the early game. That's what I was getting at.

Turn 1? Best play is Fiery Bat. It's a decent 1 drop for Hunter but half of the time it can't compete against the stronger 1 drops in the game.

Turn 2? Huge Toad/King's Elekk/Flame Juggler. Pretty standard 2 drops that can be countered by other 2 drops like Totem Golem.

Turn 3? This is usually where Hunter starts its game with the combination of Animal Companion/Carion Grub/Eagle Horn. Animal Companion can sometimes end up being a very weak play if you get a Leokk. Carion Grub can lose to whatever is on the board especially against the 2/3s that people like to play these days.

Turn 4 they have Infested Wolf and Houndmaster. Houndmaster is garbage with no other beast in play but Infested Wolf is the linchpin that starts to secure Hunter's mid game however the card alone can't swing things back by itself as it can't even one shot a Totem Golem.

Turn 5 is kinda iffy too unless you play Stranglethorn Tiger. Ram Wrangler requires beast in play and Kodo requires a 2 attack minion on the enemy's side to be good.

Doomsayer against an empty board is a legit play and people do it to secure your turn/tempo next. Against Shaman that is pretty strong. I have seen Hunters use it on turn 7 to secure their Call of the Wild turn.

Shaman can just deny good Brawls though. Of course that's going into territory of Shaman player needing to play well and that may not always happen. So I can see that logic.

Revenge is pretty good in the meta right now. I would run it for sure. Lots of 3 HP Shaman minions.

Revenge is very good and is the key to the matchup.

Deny brawls? I disagree. Control warrior, maybe. But fatigue warrior is putting huge pressure on by building up armour. The shaman player has to counter that or they are going to lose.

So the warrior player just needs to be patient themselves, revenge a board and then armour back up to 30 and beyond. There is little that a board of totems can do against that unless people don't play the netdeck and we know they will.

Kill the early 7/7 and you (eventually) win.

Levi

Banned
Holy shit is ranked rigged. 5-1 vs Shaman, so what happens? Shaman fucking disappears off the ladder. Blizzard throwing those Shaman scum easy games and fucking everyone else over.

Levi

Banned
Fourth fucking rogue in a row. Rogue is like 7% of the ladder. But my slow ass deck loses to miracle rogue so of course I see them and not the shamans that are the vast majority.

But if I switch to a rogue hate deck I'm sure all the shamans will come back.

squidyj

Holy shit is ranked rigged. 5-1 vs Shaman, so what happens? Shaman fucking disappears off the ladder. Blizzard throwing those Shaman scum easy games and fucking everyone else over.

yes, this is what is happening and you are totally not slipping into a salt-induced madness.

Levi

Banned
yes, this is what is happening and you are totally not slipping into a salt-induced madness.

It is literally impossible for me to see 4 Rogues in a row at rank 8. There are probably 4 people playing Rogue and 50000 playing Shaman at that rank at that time, and I get matched up with the Rogues and dodge all the Shamans FOUR TIMES IN ROW?!?!

INCONCEIVABLE!

Add eater of secrets to your deck. That will get the shamans back.

I already know if I switch to any of my decks that are negative or even vs Shaman suddenly I'll get 20 in a row.

I SEE YOU BLIZZARD. I SEE YOU.

scarlet

Finally 15th my personal target for my 1st season and actually my best lol

edit: I need to craft feral spirits, should 1 disenchanted 2 of my djinnis and/or my naga sea witch?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just went 12-2 with this disgusting Mage draft. This is about the most ridiculous top end you can have as a mage without having flamestrike in the deck.

6RiM5O8.jpg

The only reason I didn't go 12-0 is because of the deathlord. I faced back-to-back rogues at around 10 wins where I dropped deathlord on Turn 3 and it pulled out ridiculous 6 drops. Boulderfist Ogre first, then Piloted Sky Golem.

Top Bottom