• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

bjaelke

Leeroy + Windfury + 2 x Rockbiter + Faceless is 48 damage straight from hand and only 10 mana if you play Emperor the turn before. I was not prepared.

scarlet

Works in a 30 card legendary deck.

Your opponent gives you spells.

I guess you never played when Shredders were around. Every time this card came out of a shredder, both players would be sad. I think it changes the game board instantly and uncomfortably.

Only have Lightlord from WoTG and Cho from classic which I already traded for doomhammer

But seriously tho, today is my best day opening packs. Praise RNGesus

Levi

Banned
Oh my gosh guys, I forgot to tell you, yesterday I got a Cursed Blade from Malkorok vs a Shaman. You'll never believe what happened next:

nrDVV68.jpg

He conceded. Shaman's can't deal with Soggoth if they don't have a board, and aggressive Shamans who are top decking each turn... GG, WP.

Just faced my fifth Rogue in a row. However, I retuned my deck and got an easy win.

Qgikz2d.jpg

Baited out both saps with my taunts, he went all in on his board since he had already seen my brawl... I... AM POWER... INCARNATE!

clav

Leeroy + Windfury + 2 x Rockbiter + Faceless is 48 damage straight from hand and only 10 mana if you play Emperor the turn before. I was not prepared.

Because of how ladder is, I've been toying with OTK decks because whatever. I'm not going anywhere on ladder unless I play Shaman or Zoo.

Levi gets it, too. Just throw in cards people don't expect. Otherwise the game is so boring.

Only have Lightlord from WoTG and Cho from classic which I already traded for doomhammer

But seriously tho, today is my best day opening packs. Praise RNGesus

You'll get to the point when every card pack is 40 dust even though you still don't have a lot of cards.

Been over an year, and I'm still at that point.

Levi

Banned
Levi gets it, too. Just throw in cards people don't expect. Otherwise the game is so boring.

Deathwing is out of fashion, but it's a stronger board clear than brawl and I realized that most of the time when I played Yolo Yogg a board clear was mostly what I was looking for. Deathwing resets the board and doesn't kill itself or put me into fatigue.

Deathwing is out of fashion, but it's a stronger board clear than brawl and I realized that most of the time when I played Yolo Yogg a board clear was mostly what I was looking for. Deathwing resets the board and doesn't kill itself or put me into fatigue.
For Control Warrior? Don't you usually have a massive hand built up?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tried out secret pally for the first time since standard came out

24-3 so far, slightly "worse" than last season. but lol, I see no point playing standard if you're here for rank 5. I mean, who plays this for "fun" anyway?

Holy Shit, I'm up against a Face Hunter. Haven't seen one of them in a while.
Maybe a new player?

Tried out secret pally for the first time since standard came out

24-3 so far, slightly "worse" than last season. but lol, I see no point playing standard if you're here for rank 5. I mean, who plays this for "fun" anyway?
In Wild or Standard?

Which basic deck should I use against the steel sentinel on normal? This one has me stumped.
I think I used a zoo deck.

Levi

Banned
For Control Warrior? Don't you usually have a massive hand built up?

Not especially, The pictured game I discarded two cards. Control Warrior doesn't run battle rage or any extra draw, really, because you're completely dead in the mirror if you draw extra cards. I have two shield blocks and two acolytes, and that's way more draw than I ran pre-standard, when I expected every game to go to fatigue.

In slower games you use Deathwing in fatigue after you've exhausted all your resources. A well-timed Deathwing in fatigue is usually game-winning.

In faster games you hope to win without him, but he's there to reset the board if things get out of hand.

Elise is probably why Deathwing isn't run anymore, as that card completely changed how warriors play their fatigue turns.

The CW version I'm running is very poor in the mirror, due to the lack of Elise and the hpossibility of Acolytes drawing multiple cards, but it's a stronger vs midrange decks because of that,and I'm not seeing any control besides N'Zoth/C'thun Priest and N'Zoth Rogue. Double-brawl and Deathwing is how I'm teched vs N'Zoth decks.

Levi

Banned
New Meta Snapshot is out.

I'm surprised Midrange Hunter isn't tier one. What deck is countering them so much that they aren't at tier one?

With so much Warrior around, I'm also a bit surprised that Zoo is still in tier one. Honestly I'd switch those two around. I also think the playerbase agrees with me -- I rarely see Zoo these days and I see Hunter a lot.

Priest and Druid stay losing (according to Tempostorm, at least). C'thun Priest has so much healing I don't know why it's the worst meta deck in the game. I've see a few around rank 8 so it can't be that bad. On EU at rank 15 I think that's the deck I see the most often, and my janky warrior decks have a tough time because there's only so much damage I can do and they can heal faster than I can do that damage in many cases.

Levi

Banned
Midrange Hunter is pretty OP. I think I'm going to start using it in my next constructed deck.

I did predict that Hunter was going to be one of, if not the best, class in Old Gods when Call of the Wild was announced. It didn't happen right away, but here we are.

snack

I'm surprised Midrange Hunter isn't tier one. What deck is countering them so much that they aren't at tier one?

With so much Warrior around, I'm also a bit surprised that Zoo is still in tier one. Honestly I'd switch those two around. I also think the playerbase agrees with me -- I rarely see Zoo these days and I see Hunter a lot.

Priest and Druid stay losing (according to Tempostorm, at least). C'thun Priest has so much healing I don't know why it's the worst meta deck in the game. I've see a few around rank 8 so it can't be that bad. On EU at rank 15 I think that's the deck I see the most often, and my janky warrior decks have a tough time because there's only so much damage I can do and they can heal faster than I can do that damage in many cases.
Midrange Hunter is pretty OP. I think I'm going to start using it in my next constructed deck.

Dahbomb

Midrange Shaman at ##1 where it god damn belongs.

No surprise they made Zoolock #2 as that's the best "counter" to the #1 deck available.

Tacitus_

Thought I'd play HS for a bit, so I took my C'thun warrior for a spin. First match was vs a pure control warrior (lost, cos I couldn't activate my shieldbearer for slam and drew no executes) and the 2nd was a C'thun warrior mirror that went to fatigue (won, Doomcaller rekt him).

Oh look at the time

Apathy

fuck i know why I haven't played in like 4 days aside from Overwatch being infinitely a better game than this, RNG sucks. It is so fucking bad in this game.

Got a druid daily, and just like every other time oh, everyone else in this game gets the same daily cause all i'm seeing is druids. fine, just more bullshit I gotta play around. Oh but lets not forget how every person i end up playing gets the perfect draws, and I can't get shit that I need even with cycle. Yeah, fuck this. Haven't been happier not playing this stupid game

snack

What determines if a card is only unlockable through a specific wing of adventure mode or whether it's freely available through crafting? For example, Brann Bronzebeard can only be acquire by doing wing 2 of LOE adventure mode. But something like Call of the Wild can be crafted with gold.

Tacitus_

What determines if a card is only unlockable through a specific wing of adventure mode or whether it's freely available through crafting? For example, Brann Bronzebeard can only be acquire by doing wing 2 of LOE adventure mode. But something like Call of the Wild can be crafted with gold.

Call of the Wild isn't an adventure card, you can open it from packs. They made old adventure cards craftable as they removed them from the store.

bjaelke

Healing means very little if you don't have the means to get board control. Otherwise you're just trying to play catch up throughout the match.

Levi

Banned
Lost to four rogues in a row. Changed up my deck, beat a rogue.

Guess what? No more fucking rogues.

One win from rank 7, Face a priest who rushes me down by turn 9 with Doomhammer, Alexstraza.

Considering ladder is fucking rigged and match making counters every deck I make or choose, I'm never going to see rank 5 unless I pick Shaman or hunter, at which point I'll be fed free wins until i hit legend.

yup just like i was saying, zoo will always be tier 1. look at how many of the snapshot descriptions are basically "This deck is here b/c it can or cannot handle zoo"

Levi

Banned
Holy crap just faced my first Shaman in like 15 games. It felt good smashing his teeth in. Lucky guy played 4 of those totems that draws cards. 2 from hand and 2 from Tuskarr Totemic. I held Harrison all game but he never played his Doomhammer, stupid Bloodlust Shaman only running one copy. Still need two wins to rank up though, so I'm sure that's the last Shaman I'll see for a while.

squidyj

levi man, you need to hydrate.

Also I don't know about the tier list but those midrange hunter matchups look right to me. definitely feel favored when i'm playing as hunter against shaman and disfavored when I'm playing as shaman against hunter.

Xanathus

Also I don't know about the tier list but those midrange hunter matchups look right to me. definitely feel favored when i'm playing as hunter against shaman and disfavored when I'm playing as shaman against hunter.

Aggro Shaman is definitely favored against Midrange Hunter, I'm not sure about the Midrange Shaman matchup. I imagine that one is closer to 50-50 and is draw dependent.

Decided to actually give this game a shot a couple days ago after scoffing at it back during launch. Game is a lot of fun once you build an okay deck to hit ranked/brawl with.

Is it alright to spend gold on Arena as a new player if you like the format? I really like drafting in CCG/TCGs.

Also if I drop $10-$20 on the game what should I get first? Packs or an expansion? Working on a Shaman deck if that makes a difference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Decided to actually give this game a shot a couple days ago after scoffing at it back during launch. Game is a lot of fun once you build an okay deck to hit ranked/brawl with.

Is it alright to spend gold on Arena as a new player if you like the format? I really like drafting in CCG/TCGs.

Also if I drop $10-$20 on the game what should I get first? Packs or an expansion? Working on a Shaman deck if that makes a difference.

Everybody seems to always say expansions because they are more efficient for "good" cards, but it seems to me when you don't have any cards at all it is best to just buy packs. You can't build very many good decks from just one expansion when you don't have any of the core cards.

Levi

Banned

I can easily beat every single TempoStorm tier one deck with my version of control warrior. Those decks are more than half the ladder. I am not getting matched up with them except for maybe once every 15 or 20 games. I can't get out of rank 8, meanwhile bots are hitting legend with Shaman.

Rank 8 isn't the worst place to end. If it wasn't for those fucking chests I'd be pleased as punch to be in the single digits. Before the chests I had a lot more fun with this game, and only once did I even bother climbing to ten.

I was at 8 with full stars. Now I'm about to drop to 9. I've played, what, 30 games in two days, and I've made no progress.

Levi

Banned
Why do I always go second, unless I'm facing a rogue or a mage. I don't remember poisoning Ben Brode's cat.

Dropped to 9 because I accidentally played brawl instead of Gorehowl. Rank 7 might as well be winning the blizzcon championship, both are equally likely for me.

Pooya

after overwatching for the past week, I logged in to empty the quest queue, played 10 games, 7 were shamans. If it's not like undertaker hunter era yet, it will be there soon enough. They messed up big time.

clav

Just had a game that Mage only hit face.

after overwatching for the past week, I logged in to empty the quest queue, played 10 games, 7 were shamans. If it's not like undertaker hunter era yet, it will be there soon enough. They messed up big time.

Think they need to add more health to the game.

Otherwise people play this game thinking they're good by hitting only face.

DSmalls84

So for someone just starting out what is the best way to get new cards?

So far I bought the explorer and blackrock dlc adventures. Besides those are the daily quest pretty much the quickest way to build up a decent collection?

tylerf

I like to play only 1 deck per ranked season so I do all my dailies in casual. What I've learned so far is that people at this point are even too lazy to netdeck. They just make every deck a C'thun deck. Doesn't even matter what class. Just put all the C'thun cards in there and play.

I like to play only 1 deck per ranked season so I do all my dailies in casual. What I've learned so far is that people at this point are even too lazy to netdeck. They just make every deck a C'thun deck. Doesn't even matter what class. Just put all the C'thun cards in there and play.
Have you considered that maybe there are a lot of new players, and that's basically the new starter deck?

patchday

So for someone just starting out what is the best way to get new cards?

So far I bought the explorer and blackrock dlc adventures. Besides those are the daily quest pretty much the quickest way to build up a decent collection?

http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/gold-guide

Also on this site I found a beginner deck and just stuck to it. Climbed up to Rank 20 fast (but cant lose rank til after 20 anyways).

I did buy some cards but really don't think its neccassary at 'low mmr/rank' to purchase anything. I did get explorer wing 1 for Reno jackson but honestly I still feel my starter deck is superior

Top Bottom