• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

What happens when you play it on a giant?

I'm pretty sure Minion costs are their original once they are on the board. For example, Handlocks at one point used Recombobulators on Mountain Giants because you would always get another Mountain Giant or Deathwing, the only 10 mana cost cards at the time.

Didn't this crash the game in a brawl or something?

What I believe happened is that if you Recombobulated a Molten Giant reduced by Thurassian, the game would crash because there are no minions that cost 11-19 mana.

v Edit: Yeah, that too. Basically if a card doesn't exist and a minion Battlecry tries to make it, the game crashes. v

I'm pretty sure Minion costs are their original once they are on the board. For example, Handlocks at one point used Recombobulators on Mountain Giants because you would always get another Mountain Giant or Deathwing, the only 10 mana cost cards at the time.

Right, but there isn't anything that costs more than Molten Giant. What does Molten Giant turn into when Master of Evolution transforms it?

gutshot

Hmm. Sounds like it won't work with Brann the way we think. At least not with the way Transform effects are currently coded.

Recombobulator or Faceless Manipulator, when used with Brann Bronzebeard, will only Transform once. This is because when a minion is Transformed, it moves to the Setaside Zone and the post-Transform minion is brought into play in the same position it was in. So the second Transform effect targets the pre-transform minion in the Setaside Zone, having no visible effect on anything in play.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Brann_Bronzebeard

That should have been a priest card. We get a niche board clear when we could have used a card that gives our board presence more value. Bleh. Shaman is the new smorc class, why give them strong board value too.

Right, but there isn't anything that costs more than Molten Giant. What does Molten Giant turn into when Master of Evolution transforms it?

Sounds like it already got fixed, attended to with this here.

In the LOE battle vs Nazjar they'd just turn into the same minion, I don't think they went above 10 mana either.

Hmm. Sounds like it won't work with Brann the way we think. At least not with the way Transform effects are currently coded.
That makes sense because the original target doesn't exsist on the board anymore, so the target of the Battlecry is gone.

Apathy

New shaman card is good. Keeper of uldaman is still better.

Keeper is also unfair as fuck, theres no point in comparing any card to that broken mess, lets compare it to actual fair cards.

Sounds like it already got fixed, attended to with this here.

That makes sense because the original target doesn't exsist on the board anymore, so the target of the Battlecry is gone.

even if it does work that way only, still a nice strong card

Evolution dude won't transform twice with brann. That said, seems like an alright card. Both shaman cards seem good. Evolution guy is maybe not thrilling but has some uses late game as well so far from bad.

V-Faction

2 in one day? Shamans are fools, confirmed! Can anyone tell me where it was revealed?

And notice, it can only be done on friendly minions, so no giving opponents a +1 cost minion for free.

I like super saiyan ragnaros.

Ce-OM7ZWsAAWab1.png:large

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm actually not super sold on the Master of Evolution. Random minions could easily end up being worse then what you start with, especially since a lot of Shaman Minions are under costed and use Overload to make up for it.

I guess turning your healing Totem into a 2 drop is decent. The most ideal tempo play I could see is turn 3 Tuskarr Totemic, turn 4 Master of Evolution, and hope for the best. I guess if you get a "good" totem, and your Tuskarr didn't die, you could convert him instead.

With all these very good class cards Renounce Darkness keeps getting more interesting.
Especially since Warlocks have gotten crap so far.

That should have been a priest card. We get a niche board clear when we could have used a card that gives our board presence more value. Bleh. Shaman is the new smorc class, why give them strong board value too.
So Shaman can only have one style of play?

I'm actually not super sold on the Master of Evolution. Random minions could easily end up being worse then what you start with, especially since a lot of Shaman Minions are under costed and use Overload to make up for it.

I guess turning your healing Totem into a 2 drop is decent.
They could turn out worse but they generally won't, in most cases it will be a positive. Also even if the minion turns out about as good you can still trade first and then transform your damaged minion for sick value plays. It's a good card.

V-Faction

I guess turning your healing Totem into a 2 drop is decent.

There's a lot of faff that the minion could potentially turn out to be. Something with weak defenses or a battlecry effect that is essentially useless.

But at the same time, I'm excited for the possibilities. You could chain two back to back on the same minion. You could potentially get a legendary or class minion (something not seen too much in Shaman). Going from 2->3, 3->4 or 4->5 seems like the sweet spots.

I call it 'Professor Oaking'

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait a minute... 2 good Shaman Cards in a row? First time ever!

ViviOggi

So this is the Shaman expansion and the rest is just filler?

That thing's gonna have like a 90+ tier score, properly insane

Cat Party

Evolving a 7 cost minion will guarantee you a good card. All the 8 cost minions are powerful. The worst you will get is a vanilla 8/8. But Shaman has no 7 drop in Standard. Prepare for the Ravenholdt Assassin meta, I guess.

bjaelke

Evolving a 7 cost minion will guarantee you a good card. All the 8 cost minions are powerful. The worst you will get is a vanilla 8/8. But Shaman has no 7 drop in Standard. Prepare for the Ravenholdt Assassin meta, I guess.

You clearly play it in Dragon Shaman after playing Rend Blackhand.

What are these... positive reactions in this thread.

These are strong cards.

Apart from overload fucking up your curve you could have some really strong games with:

2 t golemn
3 coin + totemic
4 super yeti
5 taunt dude
6 fire elemental
7 corrupted boom

The problem is shaman getting this card pretty much confirms a buffer piloted shredder that every other class can use.

A lot of the time you will be able to trade down the board to leave one injured minion which will get transformed, probably to have better stats than it had before trading. At the same time you play a 4/5 for 4, no overload to deal with. It will do work.

Blizz seems to not want every class to play the same neutral minions in every deck anymore so they just make the neutrals situational and make the strong minions exclusive to their respective classes. We'll see how this actually pans out.

The problem is shaman getting this card pretty much confirms a buffer piloted shredder that every other class can use.

It's a good thing that every class has access to a playable 4 drop. But some classes already have that access. Rogue got tomb pillager and druid has had savage combatant. Shaman's other 4 drop isn't bad though. That 6 health one with random attack.

Blizz seems to not want every class to play the same neutral minions in every deck anymore so they just make the neutrals situational and make the strong minions exclusive to their respective classes. We'll see how this actually pans out.

Pretty well I expect.

edit:
I mean, it doesn't prevent bliz from printing cards too good, but at least not every single deck will be using that. I think the master of evolution might be too good, but it might not be meta defining because it's only in one class.

Acerac

Banned
Gotdam that new card looks hot.

I always got a kick out of nearly killing my minions before transforming them, awesome to see the ability improved and attached to a better body.

If you hit a 3 mana card with it, you could be adding a significant amount of stats to the board. Lets say it's a 3/1, because you've already attacked with your 3/3 and it survives. Lets say you get a 4/5... suddenly you've just gotten 14 stats out of a 4 drop. The only other minion that can do that is a twilight drake at max hand size.

It also kinda sucks that there is such high amount of RNG to the card. But the degree of how bad the RNG is will take deeper examination.

Well every Murloc card Paladins get, can also be obtained by a Shaman through Neptulon.
Not in Standard obviously, but that's probably Blizzard's reasoning behind all those OP Paladin Murlocs.

We want shamans to be the murloc class, but you get nothing useful to accomplish that. Like I have no idea how they can say one thing and do another so blatantly. Just say paladins are the murloc class and give shamans something else

You know what? After seeing these two new shaman cards, fuck Shamurloc. Gimme mid-range Shaman baby.

Hycran

Banned
If you hit a 3 mana card with it, you could be adding a significant amount of stats to the board. Lets say it's a 3/1, because you've already attacked with your 3/3 and it survives. Lets say you get a 4/5... suddenly you've just gotten 14 stats out of a 4 drop. The only other minion that can do that is a twilight drake at max hand size.

It also kinda sucks that there is such high amount of RNG to the card. But the degree of how bad the RNG is will take deeper examination.

A better way to do the calculation is to focus on the average, not the perfect outcome. After all, moving up from a 4 to a 5 could turn a Jeeves into an Earth Elemental, or it could turn it into a starving buzzard.

I'm sure someone on reddit will do an average calculation on the stat-step-up from each class and the value will be there accordingly. That being said, the average is never the average for the vanilla stat cost (4/4 - 5/5, etc) but even if you penalize each mana cost by 1/1 worth of stats (such that the average 4 mana card is actually a 3/3), you would still on average get slightly less than an entire minions worth of value no matter the case. This isn't including the fact that the minion you move up to is more likely than not to have a positive effect on the battle field, given the lack of negative effects cards tend to have.

The perfect shaman card will now be scarlet crusader as it will guarantee value in a non-zoo game. If you use my conservative mana pricing guide, you would turn a 3/1 into a 4 mana 3/3 worth of stats (once again, not including positive effects), plus you drop a 4/5 on the board. In effect, this card is strictly better than keeper of uldaman when played on your own minion (this therefore gives a 1/1 health-attack value to the debuff effect that the keeper of uldaman has on enemy minions

A better way to do the calculation is to focus on the average, not the perfect outcome. After all, moving up from a 4 to a 5 could turn a Jeeves into an Earth Elemental, or it could turn it into a starving buzzard.

I'm sure someone on reddit will do an average calculation on the stat-step-up from each class and the value will be there accordingly. That being said, the average is never the average for the vanilla stat cost (4/4 - 5/5, etc) but even if you penalize each mana cost by 1/1 worth of stats (such that the average 4 mana card is actually a 3/3), you would still on average get slightly less than an entire minions worth of value no matter the case. This isn't including the fact that the minion you move up to is more likely than not to have a positive effect on the battle field, given the lack of negative effects cards tend to have.

The perfect shaman card will now be scarlet crusader as it will guarantee value in a non-zoo game. If you use my conservative mana pricing guide, you would turn a 3/1 into a 4 mana 3/3 worth of stats (once again, not including positive effects), plus you drop a 4/5 on the board. In effect, this card is strictly better than keeper of uldaman when played on your own minion (this therefore gives a 1/1 health-attack value to the debuff effect that the keeper of uldaman has on enemy minions

I'm less concerned about the RNG and more concerned about the fact that it is a 4 drop that is good on and off curve, that also happens to have vanilla stats. Fortunately, it is shaman only - like the way that dark cultist was priest only. And that druid 4/5 is not only druid only, but c'thun druid only. Master of evolution seems just a bit too good for standard. It's more along the GVG power curve than TGT/classic.

The RNG is just on top of that. I don't care about the average result, I care about the range of variance.

Top Bottom