• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Acerac

Banned
Dranei totemcarver requires totems to still be alive on board, this does not.

http://media-hearth.cursecdn.com/avatars/252/360/22269.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Did you not read my whole post?

[quote="Acerac, post: 199867680"]
Of course, DTC lacks taunt, and relies on active totems which is a lot more difficult to maintain than counting total totems summoned. I just remember the frustration I had trying to get that deck to work and TFB doesn't seem like the missing piece that'll make the deck perform. [/QUOTE]

It wasn't very long. :(

An ancient creature from the depths comes forth...and he has a love for totems.

Well there it is, the second WotOG Shaman card;

635951072562010791.png

EDIT: no April's fool btw
https://twitter.com/ywoo_dev/status/715935414012358656
Not bad.

It's not about Murloc Shaman, it's about Blizz refusing to focus on just one of all the terrible ideas they've thrown at Shaman. The class has been pure ass since the first expansion [/I, it's actually unreal how they continue to print 2-3 highly insufficient cards for an entirely new archetype with each expansion and straight up drop it by the next. The only thing that eventually stuck is a braindead hyperface list because the only worthwhile thing the class has accumulated over the years is an assload of burn cards.

Like, nobody cares about for example tribes largely being ignored, but we're talking about an entire class here. Get it together.

I love the idea of them giving Shaman Earth, Storm, Frost, and Fire cards, and each element having different board effects. We know Frost = Freeze, but Fire could be damage over time, Earth could be silence, and Storm...kills...stuff...

Blizzard themselves have said that Murlocs are a theme of the Shaman class. I think most people just want them to make it actually playable if that's the route they're going to take.
I just don't want Murlocs to be associated with Shamans. It's incredibly lame.

Shamans still have totem golem too. It is a nice card for slower shamans. Earth elemental is going to be pretty good as well with the nerf to BGH coming.
Yes!

You sure hate a lot of stuff about this game :p
<3

bring on the totem synergy. Only way for it to not be worst hero power is if more cards benefit from it.
My hatred for Paladins comes from WoW, not this game. I actually have a >50% win rate against Secret Paladins, so I'm fine with them. I played on a PvP server in WoW, and I hated how they would all just bubblehearth away like cowards. Plus, when they got real tanking abilities, it was basically tanking for babies - push one button and have aggro, but Warriors (my main) had to work really hard to multi-tank minions.

It's a shame, because I love Paladins in WoW, and the idea of holy knights in general. It's just something about Blizzard and Paladins that ruins everything.

georly

Did you not read my whole post?

It wasn't very long. :(

Apologies, I glanced over the second sentence :/ Either way, I think that difference is pretty huge, one that's immediately noticeable to me. I immediately knew DTC wouldn't be great because a similar frostwolf warlord never saw constructed play either.

Acerac

Banned
Don't feel bad, I read it all. Still this is better than dtc

It's better, I can't disagree.

It still requires you rely on totems. That's my sticking point.

We'll see how much the meta slows down, but trying to curve out a totem deck is painful. You can't even go Totem Golem in to Tuskarr without a coin.

Crosseyes

Banned
Totem golem into a hero power next turn is not an uncommon play. Sure turn 3 hero power won't be ideal but in a world of imperfect draws that's a pretty reliable way to drop a 5/5 taunt turn 4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There are 4 mana 5/4s (Savage Combatant, Evil Heckler, Lost Tallstrider, and that Priest Inspire card that no one has ever played) that trade with it 1 for 1. It's still the best 4 drop if you can get it out on 4.

Right, that's what I mean. At worst, you can at least trade, and you get the benefit of Taunt.

Apathy

It's better, I can't disagree.

It still requires you rely on totems. That's my sticking point.

We'll see how much the meta slows down, but trying to curve out a totem deck is painful. You can't even go Totem Golem in to Tuskarr without a coin.

Yeah and I see the sticking point, but with more cards that give or are totems themselves and the fact that you will use the hero power in matches, it's not so hard to meet the requirements so I have some hope for this

V-Faction

TFB is exactly what I was looking for. Wow.

Totem Synergy. Cost reduction. Friggin' taunt! I've been wanting a Taunt Shaman style for a while now and this can bridge the gap quite nicely.

First TFB will probably be (4) cost. The second will most undoubtedly be (0) cost. Heck, Totem Golem is good enough that I'd almost consider this 5-mana permanently. The fact that you don't need to play a Totem or have it in the battlefield is insanely quality of life.

This is basically taking the Dragon bonus and applying it to Totems. Which, being a class that has exclusive access to such a Tribe, Shaman desperately needed. No Overload is just icing.

This combined with Hallazeal has me very excited.

Draft

lol. Just this week I deleted my "midrange" Shaman deck out of frustration at getting demolished by pretty much everything. This is a great Shaman card. I'm not sure if it would save my garbage deck but I think it's a good card.

Acerac

Banned
Not really. Throw in two Flametongues, a Manatide or two and you're set with your heropower.

Totem Golems are needed for the early strength anyways, and I'm not too excited about a 5/5 for 5 mana, even if it is free late game. Granted, I'm not implying you would run the life gain totem or any garbage like that, but passing over the early game power of TG feels like a mistake.

The problem with the deck was you'd just be run over due to lack of ability to have a strong opening. It had all the mid-game power in the world, but if the game is decided early that's all there is to it. Perhaps a 5/5 taunt turn 4 will be enough to stem the bleeding, we'll need to see. Depending on what happens to our friend BGH we may have to start considering Earth Elemental as well, especially now that lava shock is being run more commonly. A turn 4 5/5 taunt followed my a turn 5 7/8 taunt may be monstrous.

gutshot

Totem Golems are needed for the early strength anyways, and I'm not too excited about a 5/5 for 5 mana, even if it is free late game. Granted, I'm not implying you would run the life gain totem or any garbage like that, but passing over the early game power of TG feels like a mistake.

The problem with the deck was you'd just be run over due to lack of ability to have a strong opening. It had all the mid-game power in the world, but if the game is decided early that's all there is to it. Perhaps a 5/5 taunt turn 4 will be enough to stem the bleeding, we'll need to see. Depending on what happens to our friend BGH we may have to start considering Earth Elemental as well, especially now that lava shock is being run more commonly. A turn 4 5/5 taunt followed my a turn 5 7/8 taunt may be monstrous.

I made a Shaman totem deck that was able to hold its own on ladder. As you said, I realized early on that a strong early game was essential to the success of the deck, so I focused on sticky 1s and 2s (Zombie Chow, Creeper, etc.) then stuff like Tuskarr and Feral Spirts on 3 for even more board presence. I wasn't even using Totem Golem, because it just messed up my curve more than it helped.

Acerac

Banned
I made a Shaman totem deck that was able to hold its own on ladder. As you said, I realized early on that a strong early game was essential to the success of the deck, so I focused on sticky 1s and 2s (Zombie Chow, Creeper, etc.) then stuff like Tuskarr and Feral Spirts on 3 for even more board presence. I wasn't even using Totem Golem, because it just messed up my curve more than it helped.

Interesting. I've mentioned it previously, Totem Golem screws up the curve ferociously. I can see the deck working, though the lower part of your curve is rotating out, and is unfortunately useless for accelerating TfB.

I suppose we should wait for the remainder of the cards to be revealed before making definitive statements. Even something as simple as a low costing vanilla totem drop may be enough to push the deck over the edge to broken, TfB may be what the deck needed to be competitive. I'll certainly be trying it out.

Tarazet

I miss warlock being the murloc class. Loc Lock.

And the 2/1 charge murloc being a staple in aggro decks, to the point that you were almost guaranteed value out of Hungry Crab.

My 2c on the new Shaman card: Trogg, Totem Golem, hero power, TFB is a pretty reasonable curve. You'd be hard pressed to beat it with post-Standard minions. And TFB has no overload so you could play Doomhammer the following turn.

embalm

You're missing a very important concept that makes this card great.

You don't need any totem cards in your deck to make it beat the vanilla test. If you hero power once the card is about on par with 5/5 stats plus taunt for 5 mana. This is not exciting, but it can be enough to keep you in the game.

If you have Totem cards in your deck the card is straight up broken. After turn 6 in a totem deck this is very likely to cost less than 4 mana. A 5/5 Taunt for <4 mana can result in a HUGE tempo swing.

There are lots of shaman combos and early game plays that give this card some serious power.

The bad hand opener: You are forced to hero power on turn 2 and possibly turn 3. This will usually cause you to lose the game, but being able to lay down a 5/5 taunt on turn 4 gives you a good chance to stabalize.

The big Tempo swing: This card protects & has synergy with weak totems like Flame Tongue and Mana Tide. A 5/5 taunt for <5 mana might allow your Mana tide totem to actually live for 2 rounds.

Any turn the TfB costs <2 is about the same as a Druid using both of their Innervates. On turns where that happens they can run away with the game if you don't have a board clear. This is very similar where it is so much tempo your opponent just won't be able to keep up unless they have a clear.

In Arena the card is very good.

In constructed it has the potential to be the foundation of a good deck.

Dahbomb

Having the taunt really makes this card appealing.

Lmao Knight of the Wild so bad..

22360.png

Knight of the Wild requires that you have this card in HAND to get the cost benefits. It also costs one more mana and doesn't have taunt. In addition, you can't make it cost less by just using hero power. Ayy lmao!

Acerac

Banned
Good points all around. Thanks for the tips guys, you've certainly helped me see some strengths that I had ignored.

On the subject of Hungry Crab, I will never forget the arena match where I got one out of a webspinner after seeing 2 murlocs being dropped already. I refused to play the card no matter the situation out of pure stubbornness, and of course he drops a murloc warleader a few turns later. Felt so good sniping that.

Ketch

There are 4 mana 5/4s (Savage Combatant, Evil Heckler, Lost Tallstrider, and that Priest Inspire card that no one has ever played) that trade with it 1 for 1. It's still the best 4 drop if you can get it out on 4.

That priest inspire card is secretly amazing. Can't wait to run it with the new priest legendary.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Holy shitballs that's amazing.

A fucking Yeti with Recombobulator+?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, that looks like an amazing card.

Even if it hit's a totem, that makes a 3 drop, right? Don't recall if those have 2 mana attached to the token.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So this is kind of an interesting spin on Shaman's mana manipulation idea, except it's way less punishing than Overload.

So if you use this with Brann on board, will you get a minion that is 2 mana more?
You should, Savjz said it would anyway and it makes sense. You can instantly turn your Brann into a 5 drop and essentially make a 9 mana play for 7 mana(except you might get a shit 5 drop like healbot but even then there's barely and 5 drops with worse stats than 3 drops).

Top Bottom