• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

It's skewed towards aggro because of that and because there's just more games played by aggro players because of the shorter duration these games tend to be.

1 Control Warrior vs Control Warrior game is at least 4 Zoo games vs. anything.

Tarazet

I've lost twice to freeze mage as warrior, embarrassingly enough.

The first time it was a Deathlord that pulled an Antonidas on Turn 3 or 4. Couldn't out-armor that much burn as it took me a couple turns to remove it. I never played Deathlord vs a freeze mage again.

The second time was on my EU account, as a midrange warrior. I lost that by misplaying--I tried to race, and I used my weapons to remove minions (Emperor, specifically) instead of trading, which put me in burst range. I would have won if I played slower, traded my minions and used my weapons to attack face. They got the nuts draw, though. Had their burst combo in hand on turn 10 with an Emperor tick.

I never go too aggressive against Mage unless I see obvious tempo cards. Mulligan for FWA but hold it if you don't see that turn 1 Mana Wyrm. As soon as you know you're facing freeze, sit back and turtle up. I can even beat them this way with a Patron or Tempo deck just by playing like Control.

Levi

Banned
I never go too aggressive against Mage unless I see obvious tempo cards. Mulligan for FWA but hold it if you don't see that turn 1 Mana Wyrm. As soon as you know you're facing freeze, sit back and turtle up. I can even beat them this way with a Patron or Tempo deck just by playing like Control.

I was cocky after over a year straight of always beating freeze mage. I played a tempo game, removing minions with my face to keep my board alive, which was a mistake. I still would have won, I think, if the mage didn't draw so well but that doesn't excuse my bad plays.

Live and learn!

Kangi

Azure Drake, the original OP card.

I'd say the same of Sylvanas, but she used to be even stronger.

That said, I don't think either card needs a nerf. Even though I'm surprised Azure Drake didn't get nerfed alongside its best buddy back in the day, 4/3 Argent Commander.

Also, I love looking at these charts and then thinking back to pre-release impressions. Nobody's going to use Dark Peddler...!

Tarazet

Anyone have a good build for a Wild cancer deck? I haven't seen a Secret Paladin or Zoo list that incorporated the new hotness cards to my liking. Would Possessed Villager, Forbidden Tentacles and Darkshire Councilman pass the power test? My gut tells me they probably do, but there are some tough calls in terms of what to leave out.

Anyone have a good build for a Wild cancer deck? I haven't seen a Secret Paladin or Zoo list that incorporated the new hotness cards to my liking. Would Possessed Villager, Forbidden Tentacles and Darkshire Councilman pass the power test? My gut tells me they probably do, but there are some tough calls in terms of what to leave out.

I've been running this list for secret pally.

Jfyhw8G.png

Initially with Dr. Boom instead of Loatheb. Steward isn't a particularly great on curve creature more of a combo piece so I recently took one out and the Sylvanas I switched for Dr. Boom and added Forbidden Healing and Ragnaros Lightlord.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kripp with the secrets of beating Shaman. Truly revelatory stuff here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4k-WPm6Bmc

Spoiler:
Beat Shaman with faster, Zoo style decks and Oozes. Wow... that genius level intellect, who would've thunk?

Yeah, that's basically how you used to beat Secret Paladin too. The way to beat a fast deck with no swing mechanics is to play an even faster deck. Although that doesn't help you much against Aggro Shaman because that deck is already the fastest in the game.

Yeah, that's basically how you used to beat Secret Paladin too. The way to beat a fast deck with no swing mechanics is to play an even faster deck. Although that doesn't help you much against Aggro Shaman because that deck is already the fastest in the game.
And a lot of Aggro Shaman are running 1 Lightning Storm these days just for the Zoo matchup.

Levi

Banned
9 times I've been one win away from ranking past eight, where I've stuck for 4 days.

I've won 152 ranked games with Warrior this season. Sadly I'm not winning them in a row.

Exactly 50 wins more for golden Hero. At least I am making progress towards one goal.

9 times I've been one win away from ranking past eight, where I've stuck for 4 days.

I've won 152 ranked games with Warrior this season. Sadly I'm not winning them in a row.

Exactly 50 wins more for golden Hero. At least I am making progress towards one goal.

Hell I can't even do my dailies anymore in casual with my weaker decks cause I face the same shit in casual as ranked ranked.

It's literally not worth the effort.

edit: is it any easier in wild? cause I literally can't finish my fucking dailies.

Levi

Banned
Hell I can't even do my dailies anymore in casual with my weaker decks cause I face the same shit in casual as ranked ranked.

edit: is it any easier in wild? cause I literally can't finish my fucking dailies.

Depending on your collection, wild might be easier. Plus you'll likely be lower on the ladder, which helps.

The other alternative is to reroll your toughest quests or complete them in Tavern Brawl on the weeks that makes sense.

Kangi

ah yes, the ol classic literal zoo deck in arena

My arena deck right now involved Possessed Villagers, Dire Wolves Alpha, Haunted Creepers, Darkshire Councilmen, Imp Gang Bosses, Shattered Sun Clerics, and Dark Iron Dwarves. Oh, and a Forbidden Ritual and Power Overwhelming. It makes me feel a tad filthy.

Gormok is just insult to injury, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Just do the quests that you have strong decks for in ranked and the weaker decks in casual. Eventually you will each a point with your MMR that you will be able to get the wins you need for quests without too much trouble even with a weaker deck.

greepoman

Also, I love looking at these charts and then thinking back to pre-release impressions. Nobody's going to use Dark Peddler...!

To be fair I'm pretty sure all these impressions were before we knew that that discover has a 4x chance on class cards. It would've been much worse without that. Just looking it up now you have almost a 19% chance to get PO from dark peddler. No wonder I once died to Leeroy + 5x PO (bran).

Tarazet

Pirate Warrior can race it down with good draws. Feral Spirit, meet 0 mana 3/3 taunt and 2 mana 3/3 charge. That's incredible! You're not going to get it very often, though. Shaman has a better overall kit and Ancestral Knowledge is a further kick in the balls to any other aggro deck.

Just do the quests that you have strong decks for in ranked and the weaker decks in casual. Eventually you will each a point with your MMR that you will be able to get the wins you need for quests without too much trouble even with a weaker deck.

Well that's what I'm getting at, I see the same shit in ranked and casual. Making zero difference if I'm using my weaker decks at casual. Like there's zero difference between opponents in rank 10 and casual, it's all the same shit.

Currently I'm at rank 10 through standard and I can't really win there either atm.

I dunno, I'm just so sick of this garbage game atm. No wonder Kibler is off playing Duelyst most of the time anymore.

The game is just straight

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

wiibomb

yeah!!! I just hit 2800 gold to buy the whole LoE expansion..

still at rank 19, though.. it's real tough with just basic cards, but I should be opening my 23 unoppened packs when I buy both expansions.

BTW, about how much money are guy guys spending on the game? don't know if I ever should be spending more money than with expansions

snack

still at rank 19, though.. it's real tough with just basic cards, but I should be opening my 23 unoppened packs when I buy both expansions.

BTW, about how much money are guy guys spending on the game? don't know if I ever should be spending more money than with expansions

how long did it take you to save up 2800 gold? that's alot of gold!

Not sure you really want to know, but spent about $150 between the expansions and the adventures. I bought all of the adventures and then the $40 of card packs and then some TGT / Classic packs. Granted I did just start a few months ago.

I'm not spending any more money on it, hoping to bankroll future purchases via Gold / Dust.

Tarazet

I spent way too much. Not four figures, but more than I should have for sure.

Kangi

To be fair I'm pretty sure all these impressions were before we knew that that discover has a 4x chance on class cards. It would've been much worse without that. Just looking it up now you have almost a 19% chance to get PO from dark peddler. No wonder I once died to Leeroy + 5x PO (bran).

Sure, but a lot of people just undervalued Discover in general. Ethereal Conjurer made some eat their words, for example.

But I've learned to take most pre-release impressions with massive grains of salt, particularly in regards to cards with new or unconventional mechanics. I just take extra pleasure in stuff like Trump quickly giving in to Darkshire Councilman's dominance.

wiibomb

how long did it take you to save up 2800 gold? that's alot of gold!

I started playing exactly the day the mobile version came to Android, but played some days and never came back, I could basically say I started for real the day Whispers of The Old Gods launched, so all in all, with the gold from starting the game, getting all the basic cards (that's about 700, I think?) about 1 month.

I planned to get all the gold for LoE, then buy BRM with real money and save up gold through all the rest of the days to get enough gold for the next adventure expansion.

I hope that's enough to get me one good competitive deck to at least get to rank 15... with luck to rank 10.

Not sure you really want to know, but spent about $150 between the expansions and the adventures. I bought all of the adventures and then the $40 of card packs and then some TGT / Classic packs. Granted I did just start a few months ago.

I'm not spending any more money on it, hoping to bankroll future purchases via Gold / Dust.

and how is it going for you? is the meta too crushing for you?

Finalow

got 4 Mana Tide Totems in a row (Tuskarrr), the Druid I was playing against burns a lot of spells to kill the first 3 after they appear on the board, when I play the 4th one he just concedes.

greetings, friend

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I started playing exactly the day the mobile version came to Android, but played some days and never came back, I could basically say I started for real the day Whispers of The Old Gods launched, so all in all, with the gold from starting the game, getting all the basic cards (that's about 700, I think?) about 1 month.

I planned to get all the gold for LoE, then buy BRM with real money and save up gold through all the rest of the days to get enough gold for the next adventure expansion.

I hope that's enough to get me one good competitive deck to at least get to rank 15... with luck to rank 10.

I hit rank 15 easily enough just by buying LOE (and barely using any of the cards) and 20 packs of classic cards (which I now regret buying because I didn't really get much).

There are some really excellent cheap deck guides out there.

On Hearthpwn, search for RegisKillbin. I really like his budget decks and videos.

wiibomb

I hit rank 15 easily enough just by buying LOE (and barely using any of the cards) and 20 packs of classic cards (which I now regret buying because I didn't really get much).

There are some really excellent cheap deck guides out there.

On Hearthpwn, search for RegisKillbin. I really like his budget decks and videos.

yeah, I saw some recommendations about it around here, but I didn't check them in detail out since I saw a lot of cards come from many expansions, so I decided to first collect the gold I wanted before dipping in.

I'll go back and check them once again, hopefully it won't be too difficult

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
yeah, I saw some recommendations about it around here, but I didn't check them in detail out since I saw a lot of cards come from many expansions, so I decided to first collect the gold I wanted before dipping in.

I'll go back and check them once again, hopefully it won't be too difficult

Budget decks are often characterized by what expansions you have, if any. And they often go into what you want to look into upgrading when you get extra dust.

Here is a Cthun Mage that took me to rank 15 pretty easily.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/553009-super-budget-cthun-mage

Been having fun winning 33% od my games running a Reno Shaman. Also winning a bit more than that with a Renounce Darkness Warlock. Awful decks, but fun especially when they work.

Tarazet

Been having fun winning 33% od my games running a Reno Shaman. Also winning a bit more than that with a Renounce Darkness Warlock. Awful decks, but fun especially when they work.

I had a situation recently where I ran into a Hunter who had a great draw, curved out and played what looked like perfectly normal Hunter cards. Then suddenly Reno out of nowhere. I don't think I've ever expected Reno Jackson less than I did at that moment, but that's what got played. I think I was playing Aggro Shaman. It won the game for him just because it was the last thing that possibly could have happened.

For the last couple of months I've played long enough to do my dailies / tavern brawls and whatever else (minus the grind to get the adventures done and get to lvl 20), and this month I'll be ending at rank 10.

The meta isn't too bad, but I did get a ton of Shaman and Hunter cards with my Old Gods packs so that helps a bit.

I'm working on Warrior and Mage decks next, then I can start having some more flexibility with my ladder runs.

I've done about a half dozen Arena runs too, with my best run ending at 6 wins (would've been 7, but disconnected...)

I lose more to bad draws and misplays than the meta, I feel. But then there are decks with multiple top tier legends and I sit there thinking how much more someone paid than me, who already paid quite a bit.

scarlet

You can! I reached 15 in my 1st month

I bought 1st LoE and 1st wing of BM

But tbh, I rarely use both cards now. I even disenchanted few epic cards from LoE

I bought pack through daily quest and grinding, but I skip arena.

wiibomb

Budget decks are often characterized by what expansions you have, if any. And they often go into what you want to look into upgrading when you get extra dust.

Here is a Cthun Mage that took me to rank 15 pretty easily.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/553009-super-budget-cthun-mage

that's a pretty good an straight forward deck... I'll surely check it out.

For the last couple of months I've played long enough to do my dailies / tavern brawls and whatever else (minus the grind to get the adventures done and get to lvl 20), and this month I'll be ending at rank 10.

The meta isn't too bad, but I did get a ton of Shaman and Hunter cards with my Old Gods packs so that helps a bit.

I'm working on Warrior and Mage decks next, then I can start having some more flexibility with my ladder runs.

I've done about a half dozen Arena runs too, with my best run ending at 6 wins (would've been 7, but disconnected...)

I lose more to bad draws and misplays than the meta, I feel. But then there are decks with multiple top tier legends and I sit there thinking how much more someone paid than me, who already paid quite a bit.

that's pretty good imo.

I've been managing dailies, taverns and even some ranked play with just basic cards, so I might be able to get better with some new cards.

Welp, 3 hours later and I still haven't finished my mage daily. Gone from rank 9 to 12.... awesome to have a whole afternoon on my day off wasted.

So fun and interactive.

clav

Initially thought this was going to be a 1-3 Arena run, but it went all the way to 8-3 after 2-2.

I don't like drafting secrets in Arena, but since Mad Scientist was more appealing Flying Machine or Nerub'ar Weblord, I had to take it.

Levi

Banned
Initially thought this was going to be a 1-3 Arena run, but it went all the way to 8-3 after 2-2.

I don't like drafting secrets in Arena, but since Mad Scientist was more appealing Flying Machine or Nerub'ar Weblord, I had to take it.

It's this awesome deck and then: Shieldbearer. Lol.

clav

It's this awesome deck and then: Shieldbearer. Lol.

No Conjurer. No Faceless Summoner. No Fireball. No Sheep. No Frostbolt. No Pyroblast.

Most of my matches were Mage and Shaman.

First two losses were kinda crazy. Premium removal drops and board clears.

One Paladin played Eadric the Pure. Ridiculous. Somehow beat him with a Coldarra Drake and Fallen Hero combo.

Last loss was against a Mage who had a Cone of Cold and destroyed my tempo.

Top Bottom