• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got a gorehowl from Malkorok, and a friend request after the game.

3OReTca.png

oh

Dahbomb

Is Argent Squire fundamentally better than possessed villager since it would maintain any buffs it has after first hit?
No because Possessed Villager can take Power Overwhelming and not die. Plus the deathrattle effect synergizes with Knife Juggler and Councilman.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Possessed Villager also doesn't die to hard kills like Brawl, Twisting Nether, or Stampeding Kodo.

Zoggy

possessed villager is better because every time he gets played chat spams "get it out get it out wutface"

makes me laugh every time

Levi

Banned
Losing streak from 8 to rank 12.

Winning streak from 12 to 8.

Now I'm losing again.

Get to love the sysephean treadmill.

greepoman

You guys think Leeroy could be in for another nerf? You could easily use blizzard's logic of "it's drawback is rarely relevant" for the arcane golem nerf and apply it to Leeroy. Or am I just crazy for thinking might use their own arguments consistently?

I'm more thinking of tourneys where it seems like everyone has at least one deck with a Leeroy finisher. Probably not even in the top 5 worst offenders this meta but something I wouldn't mind see going away.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing like those salty friend requests after a close game.

"Netdecking F*****" is nice, but a C+ level insult at best. Then followed by more homophobic slurs and asking me to suck his (?) dick. That's middle school level dude, come on.

The tears provide me strength, and I can't even get excited about ragers who don't even bother to put in creative insults. This is probably why no one should ladder on the last day of the season.

patchday

Nothing like those salty friend requests after a close game.

"Netdecking F*****" is nice, but a C+ level insult at best. Then followed by more homophobic slurs and asking me to suck his (?) dick. That's middle school level dude, come on.

The tears provide me strength, and I can't even get excited about ragers who don't even bother to put in creative insults. This is probably why no one should ladder on the last day of the season.

brave man for accepting friend request from a salty loser

scarlet

Turn 4-6 is the key, try to think what the cleanest way your opponent can do with removal at those turn try to avoid it, bait the ineffective use of it.

I'm having problems in first 4 turns. If I don't get my tunnel trog, totem golem or feral spirits I lost the board control and at that point especially against zoo I'd probably dead.

Levi

Banned
Well, made it to one win away from rank 7 for the fifth time this season. Of course I lost the next three games. It's like clockwork.

140 ranked warrior wins this month. 60 more and I'm golden. Literally.

KuroNeeko

Not sure if it's the TempoStorm Effect (TM), but this morning has been all Midrange Hunter, Aggro Shaman, and Zoo in that order.

I went back to playing straight Control Priest, so the last two aren't too bad but I can't handle Call of the Win(TM). To win that match, you basically need Wild Pyro to control the early game, Entomb for the turn 6 Highmane, and then Circle + ASP / EtS to deal with the first CotWin. If he has the second, you just lose. You usually need Justicar after that to slowly recover....

Yeah...

Not going to feel bad that Rexxar has had it rough lately.
Hunter always finds a way...

clav

H9FPJHX.png

37-36 (51% win rate)

Maybe next season.

Learned a lot from playing Priest that I didn't get from playing Mage / Paladin / Hunter / Zoo.

I'm having problems in first 4 turns. If I don't get my tunnel trog, totem golem or feral spirits I lost the board control and at that point especially against zoo I'd probably dead.

Need to edit your deck if you're highly reliant on those cards or you're playing it wrong.

Not sure if it's the TempoStorm Effect (TM), but this morning has been all Midrange Hunter, Aggro Shaman, and Zoo in that order.

I went back to playing straight Control Priest, so the last two aren't too bad but I can't handle Call of the Win(TM). To win that match, you basically need Wild Pyro to control the early game, Entomb for the turn 6 Highmane, and then Circle + ASP / EtS to deal with the first CotWin. If he has the second, you just lose. You usually need Justicar after that to slowly recover....

Yeah...

Not going to feel bad that Rexxar has had it rough lately.
Hunter always finds a way...

Feel exactly the same way.

I have to save Auch + CoH to anticipate those two turns, or else I just lose.

Even more difficult when Houndmaster buffs a 2 attack minion to 4 attack.

clav

How were the Holy Champions? I'm always looking for a way to use them. Feels so bad that such a well-balanced, good creature never gets a chance to shine.

Probably the best Priest 4 drop in the game right now. Picked 100% of the time in arena.

Difficulty is when to play the card. I still hesitate in a number of scenarios because playing stuff on an empty board feels scary as Priest compared to an aggro deck. Deck I was using was not meant to last to fatigue unless it's against aggro + midrange.

If you can combo a full board with it already in play (able to attack) with pyro + cheap spell + circle of healing, game is over.

Resurrect can go with the blademaster or with the holy champion forcing the opponent to waste cards on a minion that can be resummoned again for only 2 mana.

Deck lacks taunts, so those are targets I end up entombing / Cabal Shadow Priest.

Then again, if you play N'zoth Priest, you play that new Deathrattle card.

Dahbomb

You guys think Leeroy could be in for another nerf? You could easily use blizzard's logic of "it's drawback is rarely relevant" for the arcane golem nerf and apply it to Leeroy. Or am I just crazy for thinking might use their own arguments consistently?

I'm more thinking of tourneys where it seems like everyone has at least one deck with a Leeroy finisher. Probably not even in the top 5 worst offenders this meta but something I wouldn't mind see going away.
At this point if they are going to nerf Leeroy they should just rework charge mechanic entirely.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Give the whelps taunt. Flavorful and a direct nerf but doesn't make him useless.

Turn the mana cost back to 4 or something.

KuroNeeko

Probably the best Priest 4 drop in the game right now. Picked 100% of the time in arena.

If you can combo a full board with it already on board (able to attack) with pyro + cheap spell + circle of healing, game is over.

If you can use Resurrect correctly, it can go with the blademaster or with the holy champion forcing the opponent to waste cards on a minion that can be resummoned again for only 2 mana.

Then again, if you play N'zoth Priest, you play that new Deathrattle card.

Yeah, I hardly see HC anymore, just the Shifting Shade. Problem is that Shade dies to Quick Shot, Rock Biter, Lightning Bolt, or a Flametongue / Abusive Sergeant-boosted 1-drop.

Feels like 4 mana is such a cluttered spot with HC, SS, ASP, and Shadow Madness (or coin + Nova / EE)

Feels like the problem with Control Priest is the lack of a solid early game minion. First turn Northshire doesn't work out. Second turn naked Pyro never works out. Best I hope for is a second turn Museum Curator for a three drop (Harvest Golem: 2 ATK = no good) or a four drop (Shade, Hoarder, or Tauren).

The lack of an early game means you're constantly waiting for the EtS / ASP Circle. Which means you're not using Circle for Injured Blademaster or Northshire Value. I feel like almost every game I'm like "Now I just need to draw CoH."

It could just be the list I'm playing (Pavel Priest). It runs double Thoughtsteal which is SUPER greedy in this meta. I've been using Twilight Drakes recently and they've been surprisingly good, especially against Warrior. They usually manage to draw out the Executes and (combined with Injured Blademasters) can bully aggro Shaman off the board.

I'm not sure if I'll stick with Priest for the next season. I'm at level 57 now with something like 230 wins or so? I just don't think there's anything else I really want to play.

clav

Yeah, I hardly see HC anymore, just the Shifting Shade. Problem is that Shade dies to Quick Shot, Rock Biter, Lightning Bolt, or a Flametongue / Abusive Sergeant-boosted 1-drop.

Feels like 4 mana is such a cluttered spot with HC, SS, ASP, and Shadow Madness (or coin + Nova / EE)

Feels like the problem with Control Priest is the lack of a solid early game minion. First turn Northshire doesn't work out. Second turn naked Pyro never works out. Best I hope for is a second turn Museum Curator for a three drop (Harvest Golem: 2 ATK = no good) or a four drop (Shade, Hoarder, or Tauren).

The lack of an early game means you're constantly waiting for the EtS / ASP Circle. Which means you're not using Circle for Injured Blademaster or Northshire Value. I feel like almost every game I'm like "Now I just need to draw CoH."

It could just be the list I'm playing (Pavel Priest). It runs double Thoughtsteal which is SUPER greedy in this meta. I've been using Twilight Drakes recently and they've been surprisingly good, especially against Warrior. They usually manage to draw out the Executes and (combined with Injured Blademasters) can bully aggro Shaman off the board.

I'm not sure if I'll stick with Priest for the next season. I'm at level 57 now with something like 230 wins or so? I just don't think there's anything else I really want to play.

Thoughtsteal is so highly RNG dependent. You could get cards that don't even work in your favor at all. Same problem with the shade.

I'm at level 30ish. I'm going to keep playing because of how reactive Priest plays. Play style forces you to memorize plays and patterns you see from popular decks. I never had to do that before outside of keeping track of board clears by looking at the health of each minion.

I remember when I played Midrange Paladin, I threw down stuff, hope cards stick, made trades on board, and hit portrait when there was nothing else to hit. Shaman looks like that right now.

Now I have to pause and question myself on what my opponent will play next, so there's a double learning curve, too. Have to learn the popular deck and your own deck on how to react to it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Arcane Golem could get you OTKs with Faceless. Leeroy doesn't have nearly the same combo potential.

KuroNeeko

Thoughtsteal is so highly RNG dependent. You could get cards that don't even work in your favor at all. Same problem with the shade.

Yeah, but when it works! lol
I just got Grom from a Tempo Warrior!

I'm not going to say which class or way of playing the game is better. I enjoy Priest more for the reasons you outlined: the more reactive style of play. I also like the RNG aspects of Thoughtsteal, Curator, and Shade because they make each game different. I think reactive play in Hearthstone is at a serious disadvantage. The person posing the threats is always at an advantage. You have to nullify the enemy threat and then pose enough of your own to win.

Still, most other classes don't really scratch that itch. Deathrattle Rogue and a more controlly Mage (or Yogg Mage) come close though.

To be honest, I like that Priests are the underdog. I don't want to be Faceless Shaman #1353245097 or Miracle Rogue #1349371351. I get why people decklist and that's on Blizzard for making a system that revolves around a ladder system and a monthly bonus of 400+ dust. I don't know if I'd enjoy Priest as much if EVERYONE played it, especially since PvP matches are so draining.

Actually, if Priest took over Hearthstone, I'd probably switch to Rogue for a bit...lol

fertygo

Controversial thought but discover card / steal card drop is super annoying to play against

You can play around Leeroy, but pretty sure you can't play around 4 PO lethal

clav

Yeah, but when it works! lol
I just got Grom from a Tempo Warrior!

I'm not going to say which class or way of playing the game is better. I enjoy Priest more for the reasons you outlined: the more reactive style of play. I also like the RNG aspects of Thoughtsteal, Curator, and Shade because they make each game different. I think reactive play in Hearthstone is at a serious disadvantage. The person posing the threats is always at an advantage. You have to nullify the enemy threat and then pose enough of your own to win.

Still, most other classes don't really scratch that itch. Deathrattle Rogue and a more controlly Mage (or Yogg Mage) come close though.

To be honest, I like that Priests are the underdog. I don't want to be Faceless Shaman #1353245097 or Miracle Rogue #1349371351. I get why people decklist and that's on Blizzard for making a system that revolves around a ladder system and a monthly bonus of 400+ dust. I don't know if I'd enjoy Priest as much if EVERYONE played it, especially since PvP matches are so draining.

Actually, if Priest took over Hearthstone, I'd probably switch to Rogue for a bit...lol

"I can trade no longer."

I always wanted to play Priest, but I didn't have Sylvanas. Now that I have that card, I want to play more control type decks.

Hunter is becoming like Rogue with CoW.

Only if Priest had some sort of counterspell card.

bjaelke

Finally managed to assemble a Renounce Darkness deck that is both fun and somewhat reliable. Except when your hand is nothing but Cursed Blades.
Arcane Golem could get you OTKs with Faceless. Leeroy doesn't have nearly the same combo potential.

Leeroy + Windfury + 2 x Rockbiter + Faceless is 48 damage straight from hand and only 10 mana if you play Emperor the turn before. I was not prepared.

I pulled The Boogeymonster and N'Zoth in consecutive packs.

Unfortunately I may have to hold off on running the N'Zoth Midrange Hunter I was interested in cause that's expensive as fuck.

Hycran

Banned
What's a good sub for Klaxxi in a Cthun druid deck?

Fandral Staghelm + 1
Mirekeeper and/or Keeper of the Grove

I've considered throwing in an Argus or a Spellbreaker as tech cards, but the 4 slot is pretty crucial so if you're getting rid of Klaxxi, you better have 2 c'thuns chosen and some more heat behind it.

KuroNeeko

Wow.

1W 4L at lunch.
It was all Midrange Shaman and Call of the Wild.

Thanks for killing my favorite class, Blizzard.
Hmm, I guess you need to be alive first to be killed.

Salex_

Literally played against the same exact Shaman deck 4 games in a row. What the hell is this bullshit? How is this "fair" and "interactive"? Incredible low cost minions on turns 1-3 then 7/7 on turn 4? This somehow happened in 3 out of the 4 games I played tonight.

I don't mind losing to any of the other popular net decks, but this right here? This is straight up BULLSHIT. Can't leave minions on the board, but you have to somehow be able to get rid of a natural 7/7 minion on turn...4? Oh, you survived that? Welcome to the next layer. You better draw multiple board clearing options in the next 2 turns.

scarlet

Literally played against the same exact Shaman deck 4 games in a row. What the hell is this bullshit? How is this "fair" and "interactive"? Incredible low cost minions on turns 1-3 then 7/7 on turn 4? This somehow happened in 3 out of the 4 games I played tonight.

I did it once, turn 1 tunnel trogg, turn 2 totem golem, turn 3 coin and feral spirits.

:(

Shaman is BS right now, but if they play an incredible minion on turn 3, they aren't dropping the 7/7 on turn 4.

Dahbomb

The set rotation was such a massive buff for Tuskar Totemic. Nearly a coin flip to get ridiculous value.

Card has always been a terribly designed card that I hoped wouldn't be too popular. Games being decided early because Tuskar spawned a Golem is soup crushing.

And so is Master of Evolution. Play Tuskar Totemic then transform a bad 2 drop body into a 4 drop.

My final boss for the rank 5 fight was a Tempo Warrior who got hit by this after I had early game with Trogg and Flametongue. No War Axe in opener against Shaman = GG

Top Bottom