• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
got up to rank 12, that's probably going to be about it for this season

damn I want another copy of Call of the Wild. that card is so dope

Woo! Just beat the final boss to get to Rank 5 for the first time in my HS career. Midrange Hunter vs. Freeze Mage and I just squeaked it out. Interestingly enough, I had promised myself that my next loss after getting kicked back to the start of Rank 6 would be the end of my night but then I went on a 4 game win streak to claim the prize.

I started tonight one star into Rank 8 and had been going back and forth since 7:00pm Eastern. Despite being a trivial accomplishment to many here, this feels really good. Guess I'm going to have to push for legend next season!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
You play aggro shaman, you have no decisions to make outside of mulligan, you spam emotes when you are winning.

What exactly is the point of the game to you? You may aswell go outside and challenge people to a coin toss then if they lose call them bad at tossing a coin.

I cant understand half the people who play this game and actively contribute nothing but feel self entitled doing it.

You play aggro shaman, you have no decisions to make outside of mulligan, you spam emotes when you are winning.

What exactly is the point of the game to you? You may aswell go outside and challenge people to a coin toss then if they lose call them bad at tossing a coin.

I cant understand half the people who play this game and actively contribute nothing but feel self entitled doing it.

Try playing a similar deck and have some BM fun yourself?

Or just squelch your opponent so they don't put you on tilt.

clav

One of the reasons I didn't bother laddering today.

Basically predicting the card phrases of what my opponents are playing.

4-3 the dream after being up 3-0.

Always a good time.

Fishlake

Rank 10 for me. I did well earlier in the month and fell back down and never got back up. I also did not have as much time as I did earlier in the month. Maybe next month will be my first 5.

Woo! Just beat the final boss to get to Rank 5 for the first time in my HS career. Midrange Hunter vs. Freeze Mage and I just squeaked it out. Interestingly enough, I had promised myself that my next loss after getting kicked back to the start of Rank 6 would be the end of my night but then I went on a 4 game win streak to claim the prize.

I started tonight one star into Rank 8 and had been going back and forth since 7:00pm Eastern. Despite being a trivial accomplishment to many here, this feels really good. Guess I'm going to have to push for legend next season!
Grats man!

Squelch?

There's something wrong with kids and early teens these days. So much vitriol over everything. The USA feels like an angry place these days.

Levi

Banned
I always believed if I had more time I could get to rank 5 or even legend. The 60 or more games I played after getting rank 8 to end up at rank 9 pretty much disproves that.

Even with infinite time, I'll never get to 5. My decks get countered, my wins come in twos and never threes, and any adjustments I make are negated by match making.

I wish I hadn't tried, so I could still pretend like I'm a good player.

I'll never hit rank 5.

I'll never get a light forge key.

All I'm good for is feeding wins to terrible players who are less terrible than me.

I always believed if I had more time I could get to rank 5 or even legend. The 60 or more games I played after getting rank 8 to end up at rank 9 pretty much disproves that.

Even with infinite time, I'll never get to 5. My decks get countered, my wins come in twos and never threes, and any adjustments I make are negated by match making.

I'll never hit rank 5.

All I'm good for is feeding wins to terrible players who are less terrible than me.
Come to the dark side. ;-)

In all seriousness, this game is a ton of RNG. I'm done being salty about it - I just laugh and move on. In contrast, I had an 80% win rate with my Duelyst deck to S-Rank, and it's not even considered a top 5 deck in the meta. Another Duelyst player just showed a 16 win streak to rank 5.

Understand that Hearthstone pretty much plays itself outside of control decks. It doesn't matter which aggro or midrange deck you run, the decisions are minimal, and when you understand how to optimally play the game, there's hardly any thinking at all. You can play this game while watching TV and you'll rarely make a mistake. That's how it's designed. The draw you and your opponent get determines the entire game. Like GAF poster God's_Beard said about MtG last night, playing is just a formality. The game is decided once the cards are drawn, because the rest is just going through the motions.

KuroNeeko

I'll never hit rank 5.

Don't get too down on yourself. I think if you burden yourself with the "I want to hit Rank 5, but I want to do it MY way" then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Some players, namely those with an intimate knowledge of the game, thousands of hours of experience, and a large amount of play time every month can hit Legend with just about anything. Zetalot (priest only player) is an good example. He made it to Legend playing Control Priest, but he almost never looks happy when he plays.

I tried the TempoStorm midrange Shaman list and gave myself about 10 games at rank 10 to get a feel for it. I lost every. single. game. I just couldn't duplicate the results that I was seeing other players get.

It's probably lack of experience.

I have about 230 wins with Priest, by far my "best" class. Yet I consistently fail to rank higher than Rank 9, probably because I play too greedily and then force myself into situations where only CoH + something can save me. I don't know.

The fact is, there are probably areas where you can improve, but your deck selection and matchups will play a huge factor in what you win and don't. If your list isn't favored again midrange Hunter, midrange Shaman, and Zoo right now, then you're starting off at a disadvantage--one that can only be overcome with luck and sheer skill.

It will be a long time before I reach rank 5 because I only want to play with decks I find fun. Just winning is not enough for me. Playing only to win so I can get some dust is mindnumbingly boring. I want to play Priest, or DR Rogue, or Yogg Mage, or Miracle / Summoning Stone Druid.

You just need to identify what kind of player you are. What are you goals? Do you want that Rank 5 every month? Then you're going to need to play the deck that has the largest number of favorable matchups. Do you just want to see how far you can get with that jank Darksteed / Knife Juggler deck?

At the end of the day, it's just a game. I'd play it in a way that you enjoy. If it gets to be anything other than that, then take a break. If you want to be better at the game, but on your terms and with your lists, then identify the meta and try to tech for it and really examine how you're playing to see if there wasn't anything you could have done differently. Or play the current hotness.

Just don't beat yourself over the head for not reaching some arbitrary marker of "skill" in a dumbass game.

In all seriousness, this game is a ton of RNG. I'm done being salty about it - I just laugh and move on. In contrast, I had an 80% win rate with my Duelyst deck to S-Rank, and it's not even considered a top 5 deck in the meta. Another Duelyst player just showed a 16 win streak to rank 5.

Understand that Hearthstone pretty much plays itself outside of control decks. It doesn't matter which aggro or midrange deck you run, the decisions are minimal, and when you understand how to optimally play the game, there's hardly any thinking at all. You can play this game while watching TV and you'll rarely make a mistake. That's how it's designed. The draw you and your opponent get determines the entire game. Like GAF poster God's_Beard said about MtG last night, playing is just a formality. The game is decided once the cards are drawn, because the rest is just going through the motions.

facepalm.gif

squidyj

don't listen to this bullshit.
If you want to improve and become a better player think about your plays and think about every game you lose and why you lost it. For instance an incorrect mulligan is the easiest way to throw away a game without realizing it. Try to understand your matchup from your opponent's perspective.

fertygo

Yeah the same Duelyst that have Vetruvian and Varan that can made today Shaman blush

Levi

Banned
Don't get too down on yourself. I think if you burden yourself with the "I want to hit Rank 5, but I want to do it MY way" then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just don't beat yourself over the head for not reaching some arbitrary marker of "skill" in a dumbass game.

The most frustrating thing is that I am playing tier one and two decks, and I've won a lot of games. 153 ranked warrior wins in just this season. I just cannot get any streaks, and I cannot win when it matters. It honestly feels like my opponents know what deck I'm using and they get to counterpick, especially if I've won two in a row or I'm about to gain a rank.

Zoo and Shaman should be a third of the ladder, but when I'm playing a deck that is favored against both? Nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, I appreciate that you spent so much time responding to my babyrage post, but there's really no helping me. If I haven't figured out how to play after a year, I never will.

Rosenskjold

I'll never hit rank 5.

This was the same for me, used to always be in max rank 11 and think that if I just had a tier 1 deck I could do better. Play some tempo warrior with me Bro and this season will be the rank 5 season!

don't listen to this bullshit.
If you want to improve and become a better player think about your plays and think about every game you lose and why you lost it. For instance an incorrect mulligan is the easiest way to throw away a game without realizing it. Try to understand your matchup from your opponent's perspective.
I'm not saying there's no thinking involved at all, but Hearthstone is one of the simplest games I've ever played. The number of decisions you make every turn are on the small side.

Yeah the same Duelyst that have Vetruvian and Varan that can made today Shaman blush
Vetruvian is weaker than it has ever been, and Vanar is considered to be on the weaker side of things in the current meta. Nothing like Shaman - you still have to THINK to play those. They also aren't even nearly as strong as Shaman is in the relative sense. Watch a Duelyst tournament and see how much aggro there is.

Zoggy

I'll never hit rank 5.

cheer up man, don't let the old gods break you down

fertygo

Vetruvian is weaker than it has ever been, and Vanar is considered to be on the weaker side of things in the current meta. Nothing like Shaman - you still have to THINK to play those. They also aren't even nearly as strong as Shaman is in the relative sense. Watch a Duelyst tournament and see how much aggro there is.

"Goes to watch section, still see at least 6 Vetruvian in each division" oh..
I don't know about its tourney side and recent nerf but from what I see and read, Vetruvian and Varan is the faction that support cheapest deck to be competitive in ladder.

Their playstyle is to be explained in simple way is like Shaman and Face Hunter

Let me try to explain you guys about this game that I and Kars talking about. Duelyst is fundamentally different game than HS with its SRPG like positioning like FF tactic, but game is designed to be explosive and short burst, every class (faction) is designed to have snowball and burst capabilities to end game fast, but its very easy to see there's class that more explosive than other despite so.

The first class that I mention is Vetruvian, the first general playstyle is around summoning Darvish, from its hero power and generator. This darvish is 2/2 rush minion so its Charge minion, that spawn in start of turn and disappear at end of turn. Its generator is 0 attack minion but have 6 HP that gonna really hard to kill at early game
so its can be nasty fight from beginning. Vetruvian also have this 1 drop that made your Darvish not disappear at end of turn if summoned this is part of their combo, basically their version of Trogg

What the nastiest thing from Vetruvian is it buff tho, my gawd its buff.. there's this 1 mana +1/1 buff draw card, and also 2 mana +2/2 that made your minion can't be counter attacked by General.. so in Duelyst if opponent attack your opponent hero/general they gonna get counter attack and damaged, Vetruvian buff nulify that.. so its made small minion get big fast and hard to kill. So what if you just put big taunt minion to stop their rush? Taunt minion in Duelyst actually better at serving their role than in HS most deck use them because its actually useful, but Vetruvian have arguably the best hard removal in the game its only 3 mana and kill nearby minion, its bonker.. taunt is a joke for Vetruvian they also had dispel, and dispel in general is fucking cheap in Duelyst. Owl pre-nerf esque.

The other aggro class is Varan, the 2nd general encourage different style but first general is basically female Rexxar. Instead describing Varan playstyle I gonna use this opportunity to describe how Bloodborne spell or basically hero power in Duelyst, its only implemented for like 2 month now, game devs already mention bloodborne spell is supposed to much stronger than in HS, its game changer for each match but can't help Varan BBS is really really on another level of bullshit, some other general BBS is some vanilla summon 1/1 minion or teleport minion 2 spot but what Varan General got?

First Varan general Faie had this BBS - Deal 2 damage to enemy general AND enemy minion in same column, so basically Hunter HS hero power with potential AoE, which tbf can be played around but still so bonker

The second Varan General Kara BBS is the true fucking insanity tho - add 1/1 to ALL minion in your hand

So basically you play like handlock, piling your minion.. and buff all minion in your hand when your BBS/Hero power turn came, its insane as shit.. especially you can tuning this to minion that can copy exact copy of itself, latest kibler video demonstrate how it work.

I can't see they not gonna nerf this

Btw in conclusion Duelyst is nice alternative to HS with less random drawing and more ability to play around thing. But if the exact reason you looking to HS alternative because you tired to Shaman and Hunter, well.. LOL

Even if I may wrong about Vetruvian and Varan power level, the other top deck must tuned around similar burst and snowball ability because the game designed that way.

Miracle Rogue combo, Undertaker or Councilman snowball or even frigging inner fire shenanigan, this game have it all.

Oh wow. I just opened my rewards for this month, and while they're all auto-dust, that Shadowmoon Valley card back is really pretty. I haven't seen one card back I've wanted until now. I'm running this.

Vanar has something kind of like Steady Shot as its Bloodborn spell, but that's where the similarities end. Vanar has one of the best early game clears, has great nukes, dispels, can create walls, and even its "hit face" BBS hits in a column, so you can try to force opponents into it. It even has one of the game's two extremely balanced polymorph spells. You're doing the faction an disservice by comparing it to something as unidirectional and uninteresting as Hearthstone's Hunter class, which just plays on a curve, and its only really strategic decision to make in most games is when to use UTH.

Vetruvian is a class that is kind of in limbo. They just redesigned Third Wish four the fourth time (lol) because they want it to be interesting and strong, but not nuts. The Obelisks have a lot of answers, and if you are having trouble with them, it might be because you aren't constructing your deck in a balanced manner. Dispels are a universal answer.

Honestly, I find that Vetruvian has more in common with Hearthstone's Priest class, except it's Priest if Priest was good. The Obelisks are kind of like Deathlords - they either die and contribute nothing, or they end up controlling the board. The class has more buffs than any other class in the game, and the buffs are crazy good (First Wish is Power Word: Shield). Dominate Will is like a viable Mind Control, and there's a 0-mana Dispel there as well. The main difference between Vetruvian and Priest is the deck being rush-centric, but if Priest had any minions at all worth playing, the similarities would be more apparent. :)

Also, Aggro Vetruvian has a high skill cap compared to Hunters. Here's a video of Maser, the top Aggro Vetruvian player, trying to coach the top Duelyst player and making fun of all his misplays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy6Q7HsNmCw

You can't tell me you could even spend 50 minutes trying to explain optimal Face Hunter play to someone, let alone a top Hearthstone player - lol.

Rank 9.

Gold Loot:

Unleash the Hounds
Twilight Flamecaller
Void Terror (it's eyes blink and shit)
Honestly, the worst thing about OG is that I think most of the golden card animations suck. I'm not a fan of golden card animations in general, but I can acknowledge some of them are pretty sweet. Soul Fire, for example, really brings the terror of 4 damage to life. Maybe I'm missing the good ones, but most of the OG animations I've seen are just swirly mist and other generic effects.

Golden Gorehowl, yus.
Grats man!

KuroNeeko

Honestly, the worst thing about OG is that I think most of the golden card animations suck. I'm not a fan of golden card animations in general, but I can acknowledge some of them are pretty sweet. Soul Fire, for example, really brings the terror of 4 damage to life. Maybe I'm missing the good ones, but most of the OG animations I've seen are just swirly mist and other generic effects.

Grats man!

I think the Warlock class cards look really good. Soul Fire, Demonic Sacrifice, and even Corruption...good stuff. Too bad the hero sucks or I'd play it more. (not sure I can make that argument if I main priest)

fertygo

Patron Warrior master, is tempostorm's deck good?

I don't have enough dust to build Tempo Warrior but I tempted to craft Grom, ladder with Patron and slowly get legendaries for tempo.

Gul'dan. Can't stand him.
Give me a Forsaken or Worgen instead.
Oh yeah, I feel you. I actually don't understand the internal log of the design team on this point. Why is Sylvannas summon-able? What about Jaraxxus? I'd rather them let us make our own heroes, WoW-style, and move all these noteworthy characters to cards or something.

Lumine

Golden Ancient of Lore. If only that period where you get full value for disenchanting nerfed cards lasted a little longer...

Got a golden kidnapper. Back in classic/naxxramas I remember running the card in a deck with coldlights, bouncing cards into a full hand is awesome. It wasn't a serious deck, but I remember beating warriors quite often. I wish they buffed it slightly, to at least bring it in line with other class 6 drops.

Zoggy

Should I disenchant all other cards apart from Mage so I can craft cards I am missing?

noooooooooo

don't disenchant anything in the beginning. wait until you're more experienced, know what cards are good and what cards you'll never play.

don't just disenchant cards for classes you think you're never gonna play. the best part of this game is playing all the classes. this is not like an mmo or some game where you stick with one class.

Top Bottom