• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Not sure how you do it playing shaman. Once I run out of steam I'm just drawing low curve awful stuff. My opponent managed to draw both his doomhammers before I drew mine, at 10 health with rockbiter in hand for 5 turns.

Raxus

Not sure how you do it playing shaman. Once I run out of steam I'm just drawing low curve awful stuff. My opponent managed to draw both his doomhammers before I drew mine, at 10 health with rockbiter in hand for 5 turns.

It all comes down to mulligans and what your opening is.you have to establish presence and keep it. Your win condition also shifts depending the deck/what tools they have left to handle your board.

Zoggy

Can anyone recommend some potential improvements for this? Not sure what's needed.

Deck

i'm guessing you're trying to play aggro?

If so i'd get rid of the hexes, if you're at the point where your opponent dropped a big minion and you're not near lethal, you've already lost the game. earth shock is good to bypass cheaters aka taunts.

Guessing you don't have tunnel trogg, which are staples.

try to get thing from below (WOTOG), tuskarr totemic (TGT), totem golems (TGT), fire elemental, definitely another flamewreathed faceless. put in ancestral knowledge or mana tide totems for card draw.

lava burst for more burst.

if you do have LOE, i'd say tech in sir finley to change that hero power to life tap, hunter hero power or shapeshift.

cards to definitely cut are

unbound elemental, sucks, too slow
stormforged axe, garbage.
murloc tidehunter (wtf? why not just play vilefin tidehunter instead)
scarlet crusader, shattered sun cleric. reckless rocketeer, lava burst is cheaper and better as a finisher because it bypass cheaters, sorry, i meant to say taunts.

any ways if you don't have the cards I suggested, don't go crazy crafting for them, unless they're commons. tell me what of them you have and what you dont, there are viable replacements.

Zoggy

ancestral knowledge is good for late game (i run two now), or getting a mana tide from tuskar (lulz).

i also play finley and just turn my hero power into lifetap. shaman zoo

Tarazet

Patron Warrior master, is tempostorm's deck good?

I don't have enough dust to build Tempo Warrior but I tempted to craft Grom, ladder with Patron and slowly get legendaries for tempo.

The deck is fine, I put in Ragnaros because I run into tons of control decks in the farm ranks. The thing is that it's tricky to play and you don't want to waste your resources. If you dump your hand like a Zoo deck you're going to lose every time, because there are hardly any cards that have good "vanilla value" or high stats. It's all about setting up combos and swing turns.

ancestral knowledge is good for late game (i run two now), or getting a mana tide from tuskar (lulz).

i also play finley and just turn my hero power into lifetap. shaman zoo

think I'll do that too what did you take out? I'm thinking of getting rid of all the Argent Squires

Tempo and midrange basically run the same early game unless I am mistaken, it is the end game that differs.

but the end game is a 5 drop and 5 drops that are effectively 3 drops or less.

Maybe I should have kept the dust and crafted Harrison Jones.

Levi

Banned
NKcwcjs.jpg

Was hoping at least one of my rewards would be worth keeping.

Love that card back, though.

i'm guessing you're trying to play aggro?

If so i'd get rid of the hexes, if you're at the point where your opponent dropped a big minion and you're not near lethal, you've already lost the game. earth shock is good to bypass cheaters aka taunts.

Guessing you don't have tunnel trogg, which are staples.

try to get thing from below (WOTOG), tuskarr totemic (TGT), totem golems (TGT), fire elemental, definitely another flamewreathed faceless. put in ancestral knowledge or mana tide totems for card draw.

lava burst for more burst.

if you do have LOE, i'd say tech in sir finley to change that hero power to life tap, hunter hero power or shapeshift.

cards to definitely cut are

unbound elemental, sucks, too slow
stormforged axe, garbage.
murloc tidehunter (wtf? why not just play vilefin tidehunter instead)
scarlet crusader, shattered sun cleric. reckless rocketeer, lava burst is cheaper and better as a finisher because it bypass cheaters, sorry, i meant to say taunts.

any ways if you don't have the cards I suggested, don't go crazy crafting for them, unless they're commons. tell me what of them you have and what you dont, there are viable replacements.

Thanks.

I actually have those cards you mentioned I just suck at deck building.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been dusting all my golden cards even if I don't have backups if they don't fit into any of the decks I'm trying to build.

I'm missing too many core cards not too. Still missing an Abusive sergeant, missing both Defenders of Argus, lots of other core cards. Seems worth it to me.

Still considering my Velen, but that isn't golden so probably not worth it. Does that legendary have much use?

Tarazet

I've been dusting all my golden cards even if I don't have backups if they don't fit into any of the decks I'm trying to build.

I'm missing too many core cards not too. Still missing an Abusive sergeant, missing both Defenders of Argus, lots of other core cards. Seems worth it to me.

Still considering my Velen, but that isn't golden so probably not worth it. Does that legendary have much use?

Velen gets almost no use except in gimmick OTK decks. Velen + Embrace the Shadow + Flash Heal + Flash Heal + Mind Blast is 30 damage possible on turn 8, for example, but you need to put Thaurissan down with all of those cards in your hand and Priest doesn't have a lot of easy cantrips like Mage or Rogue.

bjaelke

You collided with another Hero and your decks are mixed up! Pick another hero at the start of the game: your deck will be a random combination of the two classes!

Levi

Banned
Soggoth is such a good card.. but he's overcosted. At 9 mana, the kinds of decks he excels against have already killed you.

At 7 he'd be close to being the most OP card in the game, but I think 8 would have been fair and he'd be used in some control decks instead of being a niche card rarely seen.

With the season reset, I'm back to tinkering with my Soggoth Warrior instead of tryharding, and when you get him down and your opponent ropes because they can't figure out how to deal with him... that's pretty fun.

Finalow

I'm assuming you're talking about the midrange bloodlust/totems Shaman deck? Even though it's not aggro, if you have good draws, play correctly and the opponent can't deal with your broken 7/7 at turn 4 or Tuskarr into Totem Golem at turn 3 then you usually end up winning the game way before you run out of steam. Thunder Bluff Valiant is also an amazing card for late game, especially if you have already a board filled with totems, then you might get a Primal Fusion giving +4/+4 to a minion for 1 mana.
well played mr. Balance

if you see yourself running out of cards too much and losing because of it, try to go for a clever Mana Tide play if you get the card early (should have 2 in the deck) so that you might get at least 2 cards out of it. if the opponent can't / doesn't deal with Mana Tide you just win 99% of the time. and try to play around the board clear options the opponent might have so that you don't waste minions.
or I guess just put 2 Azure Drakes in there

obviously, it's a card game, and you can definitely and totally lose games because you make bad decisions, but sometimes you just lose to RNG and you can do nothing about it.

also be sure to spam the ''greetings, friend'' emote when you get a disgusting combo like Doomhammer + double Rockbiter.
just kidding, don't do it. :'(

i don't run argent squires or abusives

don't need other 1 drops because TROGGS RULE
if you don't run those 1 drops in aggro you're doing it wrong. Argent is amazing with Flametongue, Abusive is just an insane 1 drop. you shouldn't remove Argent in midrange decks either.
Trogg is great but it's not hard for the opponent to have a way to shut it down before he does anything, that assuming you already have useful overload cards in hand ready to combo on curve.

JesseZao

Another awful brawl.

Pick Mage and Warrior cards.

Why do people even play brawl. If you just play to get a pack you shouldn't care about the 1-3 games you need to get the reward.

Edit: ...and 2 packs / 2 games.

I'll mess around more with this tonight. I do think it would be more interesting with less neutrals so we would have more opportunities for crazy class card combos, though.

Xanathus

Brawl is pretty fun, IMHO best combo is starting with Warlock and then picking Paladin/Shaman so you get the best hero power and good class cards. Hunter is OK too I guess.

Owzers

i forgot it's brawl day. I finished up an arena run with a really good mage deck and only got 7 wins thanks to the druid who had a panter spell plus savage roar combo on turn 5. That was fun...

I'm getting kinda iffy on Hearthstone lately, keep getting paladin quests and N'zoth is not matching up well against stuff. Got destroyed by a good looking Dragon Nzoth Priest. I killed their new Deathwing and had a board clear to mop up, but i didn't have a second board clear ready and they had N'zoth in hand for turn 10. Made me want to play that deck a little if i had the cards.

the nzoth/dragon priest is the least worst priest and entomb/slyvanas played properly just wrecks nzoth pally. I wouldn't feel too bad about that loss.

Not feeling too inspired with what to play this season so I'm thinking ResidentSleeper warrior again.

Levi

Banned
Quickest brawl pack ever. Was Warlock/Warrior. Got a turn 2 Wrathguard (4/3) vs a Rogue, she attacked it with her hero power and then conceded.

Hopefully EU is just as easy.

I started playing a few weeks ago. Yeah, this is digital crack, and I've never played a "card" game before.

Question: what should I be doing about cards? I buy the basic packs whenever I hit 100 gold and I got a couple of the C'thun deck for a quest. I'd like to start using some of the suggested recipes to learn the game / strategy better, but at best I only have like 21/30 cards - where do the other cards come from?

Should I keep buying classic packs (or basic or whatever they're called) until I have all the basic cards? (I'm now seeing alot of repeats, etc.) or should I be buying the latest release decks?

Any guidance welcome.

Apathy

I read the thing wrong and thought you would pick a class and get your opponents cards (kinda like rafaam does). Picked hunter, and then the pick happened and I understood the brawl, picked mage.

My opponent was a priest but not sure what he picked cause it never came to that point, all I know is that the game gave him a reno deck that was a proper reno deck as he used it to heal to full on turn 6 or 7.

Regardless, I ended up winning, turns out if you give a hunter mage cards, it kinda breaks things

Tarazet

I started playing a few weeks ago. Yeah, this is digital crack, and I've never played a "card" game before.

Question: what should I be doing about cards? I buy the basic packs whenever I hit 100 gold and I got a couple of the C'thun deck for a quest. I'd like to start using some of the suggested recipes to learn the game / strategy better, but at best I only have like 21/30 cards - where do the other cards come from?

Should I keep buying classic packs (or basic or whatever they're called) until I have all the basic cards? (I'm now seeing alot of repeats, etc.) or should I be buying the latest release decks?

Any guidance welcome.

Some of the recipes are better than others. It's easy to spend a lot of gold/dust/money and still wind up doing only kind of OK because none of the decks are super overpowered against everything. What classes have appealed to you so far?

Levi

Banned

Any guidance welcome.

Depends on your collection completion and what decks you want to build.

In general, I'd say you should prioritize Classic and Old Gods, as not many The Grand Tournament cards are essential.

If you want to spend money, League of Explorers is a really good value and has a lot of good cards.

Dahbomb

Cthun recipes particularly the Druid ones are very cheap to make. The main component you need is the Legendary Twin Emperors, the rest are all commons and rares. Just buy a balance of Classic and Old gods packs, you should be able to have most of the deck completed in no time.

Some of the recipes are better than others. It's easy to spend a lot of gold/dust/money and still wind up doing only kind of OK because none of the decks are super overpowered against everything. What classes have appealed to you so far?

Mage & Warlock so far are my go-to's.

In general, I'd say you should prioritize Classic and Old Gods, as not many The Grand Tournament cards are essential.

If you want to spend money, League of Explorers is a really good value and has a lot of good cards.

Cool - thank you. I'll stick with Classic and OG cards.

What is this? I've played people who get their 'C'thun' to stupid atk/dfc but they never play it?

they still have to draw the card to play it. It'll show the atk and health of the c'thun no matter where it is, even if it died or got polymorphed

edit: just had a guy concede in the brawl after turn 3 b/c of a misplay lol. Mustve been trying to watch tv and play HS at the same time

Cat Party

Good advice, imo.

This Brawl...

My opening hand is 2 cards to buff totems, Finley Mrrrrglton, and the Paladin card that lets you summon murlocs with your hero power.

wtf.

Edit: Now Sea Reaver just wiped my board. This Brawl is stupid.

Xanathus

if you end up enjoying hunter, hunter has imo one of the cheapest decks to make. When I first started I also played mage and hunter in the beginning just b/c of the hero power

Face hunter isn't good anymore due to the Leper Gnome and Arcane Golem nerfs, and it's especially weak in Standard format without Mad Scientist. Other decks are now able to out damage or out survive Face Hunter fairly easily.

Top Bottom