• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

some interesting cards, I feel like that 4 mana 3/3 is supposed to be the new druid's shredder since outside of that they have savage combatant as a 4 drop. Idk about the weapon though, could be interesting but dies to pretty much any aoe clear out there

jgminto

The new Keeper seems great, though it seems like it could be a tough decision between the two options. Ramping from Wild Growth > Keeper > 6 Drop would obviously be amazing but I wonder if it would be better to choose the Slime when the ramp isn't that smooth. 5/5 for 4 definitely isn't something to laugh at after all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
5/5 for 4 definitely isn't something to laugh at after all.

It's not a 5/5 for 4. It's a 3/3 and a 2/2 for 4.

You can't just add the stats together. Otherwise Razorfen Hunter would be as good as Spider Tank and Dragonling Mechanic would be as good as Yeti. Neither is true.

Like, I'm the last one to defend Blizzard's decisions over the past two years but Mech Mage has NEVER been a problem.

When every man and his dog was playing it, it was a big problem.

Which goes to show once again that Blizzard doesn't break Hearthstone, Hearthstone players break hearthstone.

They could release five new secret counters and people would still cry for Alex to be nerfed because they occasionally lose to freeze mage and don't want to run answers.

Tagyhag

Does your opponent automatically get a Reno Jackson if you leave them with under 5HP for a turn?

3 times in a row.

This is utterly ridiculous. And that shit isn't leaving with standard so I expect even more decks.

Tagyhag

brCdsmI.jpg

5 in a row.

I think Ben Brode is mad that I don't play Secret Pally.

I just out patron'd a patron warrior because of archthief rafaam giving me that summon a board of 3/3s.

Honestly that card is so underrated.

Here is the current iteration of the deck I play it in.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_04_04_16_21_17_43.png

It's pretty tweak-able too. I'm liking acolyte of pain but I'm not entirely sold on it either. Acolyte + keeper of uldaman seems like a great combo though the deck doesn't often need much card draw mechanics.

probably because that card slow as shit

Perhaps that is why it is perceived to be weaker than it actually is, but that doesn't mean it's bad in itself. I just beat a considerably faster deck with it.

edit:
I've also beaten tons of midrange decks with it. It's of course not great vs aggro but it is still a two turn finisher if played right. Note, if it can hit face and you choose the buff, you're getting 17 damage. In that sense its faster than ysera or even ragnaros. Plus it pretty much wins any fatigue match. The value it provides is through the roof if you can set up for it.

jgminto

It's not a 5/5 for 4. It's a 3/3 and a 2/2 for 4.

You can't just add the stats together. Otherwise Razorfen Hunter would be as good as Spider Tank and Dragonling Mechanic would be as good as Yeti. Neither is true.
The problem with both of those is that they can be removed by single damage hero powers. With 3/3 + 2/2 split you need to dedicate something to remove both parts. I'd argue that this split also trades a lot better than those other two.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Spilt stats are usually better when up against zoo or aggro decks, where single stats tend to be better for slower decks. I'm still not sold that a slightly faster silverhand knight will see play though. Maybe if there is something that interacts with these 2/2 slime tokens used in a few cards, or the core druid decks are forced to radically change.

got 300 gold for first 100 matches, plus what I already had, did 3 Arena runs

0-9

How the fuck are you supposed to win in this mode jesus fucking christ

Spilt stats are usually better when up against zoo or aggro decks, where single stats tend to be better for slower decks. I'm still not sold that a slightly faster silverhand knight will see play though. Maybe if there is something that interacts with these 2/2 slime tokens used in a few cards, or the core druid decks are forced to radically change.

It's definitely going to see play. Perhaps in every single druid deck.

A lot of the great cards in this game are similarly balanced if you think about it. There are a lot of good cards that just are slightly better in one aspect that makes them stand above others. The choose text makes it one of those cards I think. Being able to ramp against midrange or stack against aggro makes this card very versatile, increasing the deck's effectiveness vs both archetypes. This is something druids is just great at already with keeper of the grove, strong vs aggro due to damage or slower decks with silence.

I'm just not certain which is better in terms of new cards, this or master of evolution. They're both insane 4 mana minions.

did one more

lost again before I even got 10 mana crystals

now 0-11

I legitimately do not understand Arena I get absolutely curbstomped every game, it feels like the RNG just has it in for me

WTF STOP GIVING ME 7+ CARDS ON MY STARTING REDRAW

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just out patron'd a patron warrior because of archthief rafaam giving me that summon a board of 3/3s.

Honestly that card is so underrated.

Here is the current iteration of the deck I play it in.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_04_04_16_21_17_43.png

It's pretty tweak-able too. I'm liking acolyte of pain but I'm not entirely sold on it either. Acolyte + keeper of uldaman seems like a great combo though the deck doesn't often need much card draw mechanics.

Looks interesting. Is flame juggler better than 2x chow? When I did a pally list like this I found the justicar hero power soooo good at grinding games out that it would offset a late drawn chow.

Looks interesting. Is flame juggler better than 2x chow? When I did a pally list like this I found the justicar hero power soooo good at grinding games out that it would offset a late drawn chow.

Yeah, I think so. I ran chow a lot in past paladin decks but ever since minibot became so popular, chow is actually quite weak imo. Even against face aggro, flame juggler often gets value since they just love to dump 2/1s out on turn 1.

12 arena losses in a row.

How do you people play a game like this

You should take a break. Take some time some time to refocus. And focus on improving your gameplay, even when you lose. Everyone goes on loss streaks every once in a while. It tends to make you play worse. So do something else for 15-30 minutes and then come back and you'll probably both feel better and play better.

ZealousD

The problem with both of those is that they can be removed by single damage hero powers. With 3/3 + 2/2 split you need to dedicate something to remove both parts. I'd argue that this split also trades a lot better than those other two.

Fine, then look at Silver Hand Knight instead. Solid card for arena but it's not a better card than Pit Fighter, even though if you add up the stats it would look like a 6/6 and Pit Fighter is a 5/6.

Dahbomb

Fine, then look at Silver Hand Knight instead. Solid card for arena but it's not a better card than Pit Fighter, even though if you add up the stats it would look like a 6/6 and Pit Fighter is a 5/6.
That's debatable considering that both cards are really only Arena cards. I would say Silverhand Knight has mor used in a flood type deck in Constructed at least.

In fact, even on Heartharena Silverhand Knight is rated as a 74 vs a 68 for Pit Fighter.

jgminto

Well obviously the stat lines aren't 1 to 1 but they're still in a similar bracket and the decision between one body and split is mostly preference. I'm not going to calculate the exact decimal stats a split minion is worth. It's still a 4 drop that either gives a decent 3 mana body with a 2 mana effect or trades well with most 4 and 5 drops.

Hycran

Banned
The reason silver hand knight is better than pit fighter is because half of the fucking people you play in arena are mages with 8 fireballs. No need for a long winded discussion about stat-distribution.

Dre

Anyone know why my Reno Jackson won't proc? I doubled check and have only one of every card.

Does map of the silver monkey mess it up?

Beneath the Grounds
double Forgotten Torch (well technically double Roaring Torch)
double Excavated Evil

Those cards all deny the Battlecry

Anyone know why my Reno Jackson won't proc? I doubled check and have only one of every card.

Does map of the silver monkey mess it up?

If you play the Monkey, and then play Reno, it may not trigger because you have more than one of the same legendary in the cards left in your deck.

Otherwise, not sure. If you have Brann on the board, if you play Elise you'll get two Maps in your deck which would screw up Reno as well.

ZealousD

That's debatable considering that both cards are really only Arena cards. I would say Silverhand Knight has mor used in a flood type deck in Constructed at least.

In fact, even on Heartharena Silverhand Knight is rated as a 74 vs a 68 for Pit Fighter.

It is better than pit fighter.

I guess I have to disagree on this one. I think I'd always choose Pit Fighter myself. I would much rather have a card that can trade favorably with more types of bodies.

Tarazet

Can't get myself out of the dumpster ranks with Patron because everything is a horrible matchup. What does well against control priest, control warrior, face hunter and mech mage? I guess Aggro Shaman?

platakul

Banned
12 arena losses in a row.

How do you people play a game like this

Arena is a completely different game then Constructed. You can't look at the value of cards in arena like you do in constructed. it's really looking at it in a whole new light. It took me a year to be able to get 4 wins with any consistency. The mode is shit really i hate it just like you

KuroNeeko

I'm having fun tinkering with dragon / resurrect shaman, but can't stop playing ROGUE long enough to really get into it.

Just looking at the new cards, I feel like shaman is going to be the new paladin in the next set. Rogue just looks like it's gonna be bad fun! Managed to scrape out a few wins against Druid and Paladin with raptor rogue, but mech mage just ripped me a new one. Beginning of the season is crazy though. I've been stuck in rank 18 ~ 20 for like a day. lol

Sheroking

Old Gods out yet? How about now? ... Now?

I just want to build and play a Midrange Shaman that doesn't have all the bullshit in the world to contend with.

Ketch

Old Gods out yet? How about now? ... Now?

I just want to build and play a Midrange Shaman that doesn't have all the bullshit in the world to contend with.

Agreed. Also, I'd like to play a good druid without being a total asshole.

But I've decided to embrace this last season and go full asshole.

fertygo

Arena is a completely different game then Constructed. You can't look at the value of cards in arena like you do in constructed. it's really looking at it in a whole new light. It took me a year to be able to get 4 wins with any consistency. The mode is shit really i hate it just like you

Arena is da bes, can't wait to return when the mode not giving GvG pack again

I'm just waiting for the last week card dump and nerf list. When we can finally start theorycrafting new decks for real.
And I can start counting up how much dust I'll get.

Top Bottom