• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you'd have to run it in a Timmy deck that runs all sorts of big minions to take out the removal first.

If you're going to try to attrition them like that you can win more easily with straightforward Control Warrior. This is the problem with flashy win cons: to successfully brute force them means your deck could've won anyway, maybe even sooner with choicer picks than a slow and dumpy 2 card combo.

I mean you need at least two of these. Or two and one faceless. Or two and two faceless even. If you're not going for some kind of stealth/deathrattle synergy and just forcing it out, it function like a slower but more reliable Varian. And like Varian, it's nice when it works but wholly unnecessary because if you reach such a point where a Varian play wins you the game, you probably would've won anyway. In all other cases, this card will do nothing of note for you.

That said, I think someone is going to Varian two of these out sooner and later on stream and it'll be glorious.

gutshot

Can't wait to play Master of Evolution on my Fossilized Devilsaur and get a 30/30.

Pooya

We have Exodia right now. Echo/Apprentice and archmage can produce infinite damage.

Murloc paly might as well be infinite damage too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you're going to try to attrition them like that you can win more easily with straightforward Control Warrior. This is the problem with flashy win cons: to successfully brute force them means your deck could've won anyway, maybe even sooner with choicer picks than a slow and dumpy 2 card combo.

I mean you need at least two of these. Or two and one faceless. Or two and two faceless even. If you're not going for some kind of stealth/deathrattle synergy and just forcing it out, it function like a worse but more reliable Varian. And like Varian, it's nice when it works but wholly unnecessary because if you reach such a point where a Varian play wins you the game, you probably would've won anyway. In all other cases, this card will do nothing of note for you.

That said, I think someone is going to Varian two of these out sooner and later on stream and it'll be glorious.

Oh, to be clear, I'm not saying this will be any good, which is why I said "a Timmy deck". Timmys are the players who like to win with random big cards instead of whatever is most competitive.

Even Blizzard in the interview expects it to not be a competitive card.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I didn't read the interview.

Welp.

Specifically:

Game Informer: What do you feel the competitive prospects are (if any) for these cards?

Ben Brode: Blood of the Ancient One is more of a fun deckbuilding challenge with a great story moment than a card that we think will dominate high-level tournaments, but we've had a lot of fun playing the card internally. I'm excited to see what strategies players will discover for summoning the Ancient One!

ViviOggi

I'm not sure if the Timmy moniker is appropriate in HS as you don't actually win with those cards, I prefer the term "Trolden fodder"

Apathy

Literally stopped by Goldshire Footman.

Imagine a poor goldshire footman. This monster from the great beyond, rushing at full speed and the footman having to stand there and take the hit that kills him basically destroys his body as if it were a bag full of meat exploding. Feel bad for him and his widow.

I want to see matches where someone goes through all the trouble to make one of these just to get it entombed or faceless + removed.

georly

Oh, to be clear, I'm not saying this will be any good, which is why I said "a Timmy deck". Timmys are the players who like to win with random big cards instead of whatever is most competitive.

Even Blizzard in the interview expects it to not be a competitive card.

I'd love for it to accidentally dominate the meta even though it's not intended. Obviously it won't, but one day, one of these 'fun' cards will be too good and get played constantly.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Could you actually get the 30/30 from another card effect though like Forbidden Shaping or the evolution guy?

Fishlake

That new card speaks to my inner Timmy in a way no other card does right now in this game.

I can already hear his voice calling me.

georly

Play blood of old gods. Double innervate faceless manipulator

Yeah, there are actually a couple of ways to guarantee this in one turn. One with shaman, one with druid. Always, of course, assuming you have all the right cards in your hand, which is where the decks fail.

This is the easiest big 'fun' minion to pull off, though. Easier than thaddius or voltron, I think.

You willing to post or PM me your list for that?
PM me a reminder. I am at work now.

I NEVER beat Mech Mage with Patron. Just too much shit to remove and not enough tools to do it. Annoy-o-Tron alone can win their games for them. As for Control Warrior, if you've faced one that didn't have Brawl in hand for your patrons and Execute for your Grom, you are one in a million.
Armorsmith and Acolyte are good vs. Annoy-o-Tron.

Agreed on Brawl. I hate that card. Especially if they drop Sylvannas first.

georly

Even if you can consistently pull that off, you've got 4 cards and a whole turn invested in 1 minion. If it gets BGHed, Executed, Polymorphed, Hexed, SW: Deathed, Entombed, etc, you probably just lost the game.

I think everyone knows that. The goal is to play it and see it happen and maybe that one time you hit face and win.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure if the Timmy moniker is appropriate in HS as you don't actually win with those cards, I prefer the term "Trolden fodder"

Timmys have very low win rates generally!

I'd love for it to accidentally dominate the meta even though it's not intended. Obviously it won't, but one day, one of these 'fun' cards will be too good and get played constantly.

Elise was deemed a Timmy card when it was unveiled and actually was viable.

bjaelke

Hearthstone @PlayHearthstone

@notdanvillano Both Blood of The Ancient Ones would have to be silenced for the effect not to trigger.

Might be able to pull it off at rank 20.

Sometimes I forget that not every card has to be competitive. Ladder really warps your brain sometime to think you must win, win, win. I hope I try taking a little time to just have fun with card interactions in the future. Otherwise its just salt. And salt is bad for the soul.

Wonder what would happen if you have more than Old Bloods out. I would assume it functions like V-07-TR-0N where if the requirements are met, everything gets consumed.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'd they ever put Sargaras in the game it has to be even harder to spawn than The Ancient One.

Like there should be no better Timmy card in the game than Sargeras.

Tarazet

Armorsmith and Acolyte are good vs. Annoy-o-Tron.

I have to mulligan hard for FWE in case I get faced with a Mana Wyrm - Frostbolt wombo. That means throwing out Armorsmith and Acolyte in my mulligan most of the time.. but that leaves me wide open for that stupid 2/1 that drops a Spare Part and then Annoy-o-Tron, followed by 15 other mechs over the next couple turns.

I'd they ever put Sargaras in the game it has to be even harder to spawn than The Ancient One.

Like there should be no better Timmy card in the game than Sargeras.

Sargareas himself has to be better then Voltron and Ancient One. He has to just win you the game by being summoned.

Ketch

is there anything better then murdering assholes who spam emotes?

I'm sorry
I'm sorry
I'm sorry
I'm sorry

yea, you are sorry. BIIIIAAAATCH

Sheroking

Literally stopped by Goldshire Footman.

Well... not really. You can always use a frostbolt or whatever to kill the Goldshire. Unlike Deathwing, this card does not discard your hand.

It's not going to work 95% of the time, but it's not supposed to. Blood of the Ancient One is basically a magnet for hard removal or burn because you can't let that crap live and on the off game you do get it? The dream. It's the new Voltron.

Goes without saying that BGH needs to rot in hell first.

Owzers

was Blizzard having problems with Old Gods or what to nerf? i don't understand why it took so long to come out from announcement, outside of difficulty deciding on what to do for standard. This is worse than Reigns being champ.

is there anything better then murdering assholes who spam emotes?

I'm sorry
I'm sorry
I'm sorry
I'm sorry

yea, you are sorry. BIIIIAAAATCH

I very frequently drop a Greetings if someone is taking too long for an obvious move and I will be very generous with Well Playeds if someone is douching it up when they have a clear kill shot.

rando14

I basically never BM, never see the point. Greetings at the start, and Well Played if they make a good move and at the very end. :\

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
was Blizzard having problems with Old Gods or what to nerf? i don't understand why it took so long to come out from announcement, outside of difficulty deciding on what to do for standard. This is worse than Reigns being champ.

I think it's the nerfs and changes related to formats. That plus I've heard a lot of people claim they put LOE out earlier than they planned to. Not sure if there's actual evidence for that or not.

Top Bottom