• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

georly

I think it's the nerfs and changes related to formats. That plus I've heard a lot of people claim they put LOE out earlier than they planned to. Not sure if there's actual evidence for that or not.

If true, it's probably so it didn't creep into 2016 and ruin their standard format thing being a yearly thing.

Sheroking

I've noticed something a lot of (mediocre) Druid players do. When they've lost the board and don't have combo lethal in the late-game, they just combo anyway, punch face for what they can and then concede.

.... Why not try to clear my board? It's happened so often lately.

It certainly will be GG after I polymorph that.

Thats okay because I'll run two of both and I'll summon a second ancient dude.

Then I'll use blessed champion and finally be able to kill that control warrior with a 60/30.

Auto squelch, every game. Got no time for passive aggressive bm.

It's pretty crazy bliz hasn't added auto-squelch yet. I squelch every game too... and it's just frankly annoying in itself.

Sheroking

Sure, mill Rogue. Just keep vanishing my Boom. IDGAF.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_04_05_16_14_08_49.png

Pooya

Rogue winrates will increase like 50 percent across the board when Boom goes away. Boom kills rogues more than any other class.

Pooya

You can tell how bad hearthstone is now when someone like xixo. instead of racing to legend with his timer on first days of season, play super mario 3d world instead...lol some other streamers like sjow/yagut have been playing warcraft 3 tournaments instead. lifecoach who has won the vote today, hasn't streamed hearthstone much in sometime, he plays random games instead. Only players enjoying concede decks still regularly stream.

Sheroking

Boom and Loatheb are pretty terrible for Rogue. They also suffer from an aggro meta, because they take so much damage removing things and don't have armor or healing like Warrior and Paladin.

I have no doubts Rogue will be much, much better in standard. That kind of scares me because the single most annoying deck in Hearthstone history is still the pre-nerf Miracle Rogue.

You can tell how bad hearthstone is now when someone like xixo. instead of racing to legend with his timer on first days of season, play super mario 3d world instead...lol some other streamers like sjow/yagut have been playing warcraft 3 tournaments instead. lifecoach who has won the vote today, hasn't streamed hearthstone much in sometime, he plays random games instead. Only players enjoying concede decks still regularly stream.

Even Kripp is regularly playing other games - like Faeria and FFXIV.

Pooya

Peléo;200245584 said:
Genuine question: can you elaborate?

you can't sap boom, well you can but it goes poorly more often than not. Boom bots wipe your minions and you don't have many of them in your deck. Stuff like drake easily die to boombots in one shot. You lose all of your tempo as it's too expensive for you to deal with it. It's a mostly game winning play against rogue, actually I saw some of the pros like firebat, keeping Boom in mulligan against rogue because of that. lol

Dr. Boom is generally annoying to deal with but if you anticipate it, you can deal with him and the rest of the board with a well timed blade flurry, or with some cheap removal like backstab and eviscerate often powered by spell power or a cheap minion. Being able to deal with the 1/1s with hero power is also another small advantage other classes might not have access to. I've certainly lost games to dr. boom, but more often than not it's because the boom bots snipe minions.

When I am ahead, sap is often a game winning move so not sure about people saying boom cannot be sapped. If your opponent plays dr. boom twice, that is two turns they aren't really dealing with your board. And often the delay of one turn gives you time to set up to deal with dr. boom efficiently.

That said, I do think rogue gets a tiny bit better because loatheb and dr. boom are out of standard.

Ridli

Ancient one is hilarious. Master of evolution, Herald Volazj, and faceless manipulator should make for interesting blood shenanigans.

Peléo

Dr. Boom is generally annoying to deal with but if you anticipate it, you can deal with him and the rest of the board with a well timed blade flurry, or with some cheap removal like backstab and eviscerate often powered by spell power or a cheap minion. Being able to deal with the 1/1s with hero power is also another small advantage other classes might not have access to. I've certainly lost games to dr. boom, but more often than not it's because the boom bots snipe minions.

When I am ahead, sap is often a game winning move so not sure about people saying boom cannot be sapped. If your opponent plays dr. boom twice, that is two turns they aren't really dealing with your board. And often the delay of one turn gives you time to set up to deal with dr. boom efficiently.

That said, I do think rogue gets a tiny bit better because loatheb and dr. boom are out of standard.

you can't sap boom, well you can but it goes poorly more often than not. Boom bots wipe your minions and you don't have many of them in your deck. Stuff like drake easily die to boombots in one shot. You lose all of your tempo as it's too expensive for you to deal with it. It's a mostly game winning play against rogue, actually I saw some of the pros like firebat, keeping Boom in mulligan against rogue because of that. lol

Thanks for both answers.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yup, Forsen is doing non HS streams 'til Whispers of the Old Gods is out.
He says he's really enjoying streaming now! #FeelsGoodMan

Dahbomb

I just realized that this card:

bi-you-xia.jpg

Features ALL of the minions you can get from Animal Companion (Leokk, Misha and Huffer)!!

8 Mana : Summon ALL of your Animal Companions

Blood of the Ancient Ones works like Stalagg and Feugen, you have to silence both.

Similar to I guess. You only have to silence the second of the stalagg + feugen pair. If the second blood is played, however, you don't get the opportunity to silence... but I guess if it's brought onto the board during the opponent's turn via ancestral calling or something.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Despite all these cool sounding cards, until I know what is up with BGH, I can't get excited for them. It would be hilariously fun to try this Ancient one out, but if my stuff is just going to get BGH'd immediately, I'll not bother.

Apathy

Despite all these cool sounding cards, until I know what is up with BGH, I can't get excited for them. It would be hilariously fun to try this Ancient one out, but if my stuff is just going to get BGH'd immediately, I'll not bother.

Instead it'll just get polymorphed, deathed,mulched,executed,assassinated and the rest.

CJVaughn

Banned
Is standard going to better for people who can't handle all the bullshit this game and scummy players vomit up?
Welcome to online multiplayer, please enjoy your stay. :)

On a more serious note, a lot of the commonly played cheese cards are going away, but it is likely there will be more to replace them. Players will always gravitate to what wins, whether it is a cheap and scummy strategy or not. The hope is, though, that the set will bring more interactivity and consequently more chances to counter these types of decks.

Is standard going to better for people who can't handle all the bullshit this game and scummy players vomit up?
Very likely that you won't be seeing the same cards every single game like right now but you will still be losing to a couple of powerful decks that are easiest to play, that's just the way it is in competitive multiplayer games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I'm now hoping BGH is changed to kill a 10+ mana card, then it can't actually kill the Ancient One.

I'm sure they don't want their legendary they're gifting everyone to be all powerful anyway, you want the people buying packs. Still, they're not going to have it counter the 4 big legendaries they just released. Giant killer BGH would make the most sense(or a significant increase in mana cost, I'm talking like 6 mana).

Very likely that you won't be seeing the same cards every single game like right now

A lot of powerful cards are being removed and replaced with things that are not so great. Besides Shaman getting a big boost, it still looks to me like there will be even fewer decks played this time around, since there will also be fewer counters to the things in the original set that needed countering.

The "nerfs" are all important. If they don't deliver, standard will flat out suck.

I mean at least the strong cards are probably gonna be class cards so assuming that you're not gonna see the same couple of classes in standard(which might happen) the variety in cards is going to be better. No more Boom, Shredder, Belcher, etc in every single deck.

manhack

If you haven't read this article before I think it is a good start:

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

It describes the mindset behind the people who play the "best" decks. Frankly we all play a deck, at some point, that other people hate. I played a ton of priest and shaman while they were considered the "worst" class an people still raged at me.

My first month of the game I got Rank 3 with a hunter deck using unleash the hounds and starving buzzard combo and I didn't know it was a scummy, overpowered deck at the time. I was new to the game and it was fun to win. Later on as I moved to other classes it became harder and harder to hit Rank 5 and above with less than optimal decks.

As a direct answer though, we are entering unknown territory in the meta and it will be interesting to try out new decks next month while the meta figures itself out. In a few weeks from release the meta reports will be spreading the "Scum" decks out to the masses again and you will face the same "net decks" a lot.

I have realized that I can actually do better now making my own versions of popular decks or using "off-meta" decks to great advantage.

Zemm

Forsen has quit playing HS for now as well.

Top Bottom