• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

yea not sure how I feel about the warrior card right now. I could actually see it in a cthun warrior deck. Echo the cthun activators back to hand and guarantee the 10 armor guy in the late game.

Pooya

That card doesn't seem very good in patron actually, best use for it is frost giant warrior. That look like it could work.

bjaelke

That card doesn't seem very good in patron actually, best use for it is frost giant warrior. That look like it could work.

Another Grommash alone would be great value. Just Belcher + Shield Maiden Sen'Jin + Ancient Shieldbearer on board and I'd be happy. Could give Ravaging Ghoul a chance to shine.

Dahbomb

Another Grommash alone would be great value. Just Belcher + Shield Maiden Sen'Jin + Ancient Shieldbearer on board and I'd be happy. Could give Ravaging Ghoul a chance to shine.
In what world are you going to be able to duplicate a Grommash with this?

You can't use this on the same turn as playing Grommash. When Grommash is used it either finishes the game by itself or it gets played and then immediately removed or the game is decided before it even comes into play. Having another Grommash that you can play two turns afterwards isn't going to do anything.

You are much, much better off playing a Faceless Manipulator on a Grommash.

Dahbomb

What other cards would a frost giant deck have besides...frost giant?
Molten Giants. Maybe those duplicate cards like that new 4 drop.

Assuming they don't get hit with the nerf bat hard.

The combination of Molten Giants and Frost Giant allows you to duplicate Moltens in case you start to get rushed down or you can duplicate Frost Giants in the long game. Issue with the Molten strat is that it's not as effective without Ice Block. You can have a full board of Moltens but that won't matter because the other guy is just going to go face anyway.

You know, I somewhat want to see a card that can silence a weapon. Maybe some gimmicky pirate.
Who would do that instead of destroy it?

Though after playing Duelyst for 3 days, I like the idea of heroes all having permanent 1/X weapons.

Molten Giants. Maybe those duplicate cards like that new 4 drop.

Assuming they don't get hit with the nerf bat hard.

The combination of Molten Giants and Frost Giant allows you to duplicate Moltens in case you start to get rushed down or you can duplicate Frost Giants in the long game. Issue with the Molten strat is that it's not as effective without Ice Block. You can have a full board of Moltens but that won't matter because the other guy is just going to go face anyway.
I imagined that the deck would be built to minimize the damage you take. Hmm.

ViviOggi

Again, Patron will not survive the loss of Death's Bite. The deck doesn't lack conditional card advantage, it lacks tempo.

It seems like Blizzard is pushing some kind of value Warrior instead, not sure how that will pan out.

Zoggy

the correct answer is no one knows.

the general consensus when GVG was coming out was that dr. boom sucks and troggzor is the must have legendary.

when tgt came out everyone rushed to craft varian wrynn.

the correct answer is no one knows.

the general consensus when GVG was coming out was that dr. boom sucks and troggzor is the must have legendary.

when tgt came out everyone rushed to craft varian wrynn.

Well I know it isn't tentacles for arms.

Any Dr Boom calls are nerf info pending. My early bet would be on Light Rag, funnily enough.

CoolOff

How do you guys feel about fixing forceroar by making Savage Roar "Give your beasts +2 attack this turn"? +3 since you remove the hero-attack?

FeD.nL

I still think Herald Volazj is interesting. It´s not that hard to get value out of that card for priest. It´s going to be interesting what the priest commons/rares are going to be.

IvorB

IMO, don't buy packs at all.

Learn to play Arena and maximize your gold.

I'm still learning how to play the game so I don't think entering the Arena would be a good idea right now. Besides I have gotten one or two decent things that I use from the packs so it's not too bad.

Mage has the most viable basic tools for building a beginner deck, and since the newbie midrange Mage is pretty flexible you can just throw almost any decent card you pull from a pack in there. With its straight-forward tools it's also rather easy to play.

Once you start building stronger decks and climb in rank you'll run into less Mages because it's not the most braindead and consistently broken class HS has to offer.

Hmmm... I might mix it up with the priest and the druid that also seemed interesting to me.

The Warrior legendary, Grommash Hellscream, is a really good card though. You'll be happy you pulled it once your collection starts to fill out more and you can make Warrior decks.

Yeah I guess a legendary is better than no legendary. I'll see how it goes but the warrior style didn't really appeal to me that much to be honest. Maybe I'll take another look.

ViviOggi

You simply can't play Warrior with a small collection, in general the control archetype is the most expensive one. Even with Elise as your only legendary you need bunch of epics (at least 5 off the top of my head). Arguably there's still Patron Warrior which is cheaper but I'd strongly advise against building toward that deck as chances are it's becoming useless with the upcoming update.

What's important to note is that what you're seeing now with your basic cards is not indicative of the Warrior playstyle in "real" matches. I don't even know what good cards Warrior has by default, is there anything besides War Axe and Execute?

Still, like gutshot said Grom is a great card to have even if it's not of much use to you now. Sooner or later you'll be glad you pulled him over the countless terrible legendaries in the game.

Tarazet

What's important to note is that what you're seeing now with your basic cards is not indicative of the Warrior playstyle in "real" matches. I don't even know what good cards Warrior has by default, is there anything besides War Axe and Execute?

It's possible to do a "budget" control deck, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a beginner. There are a lot of aggressive cards in the basic set, but they are inefficient. One Antique Healbot can counter your two Heroic Strikes plus put a body on the ground.

This is a pretty reasonable basic Warrior deck. But like most basic decks, it's pretty much Arena style, that is, tempo minions with efficient removal. It won't get you very far on ladder.

ViviOggi

It's possible to do a "budget" control deck, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a beginner. There are a lot of aggressive cards in the basic set, but they are inefficient. One Antique Healbot can counter your two Heroic Strikes plus put a body on the ground.

This is a pretty reasonable basic Warrior deck. But like most basic decks, it's pretty much Arena style, that is, tempo minions with efficient removal. It won't get you very far on ladder.
Like you said yourself that's just a midrange struggle deck, it really is impossible to build a basic/budget CW. Should be more than enough for getting the monthly cardback though.

Ironically the average Warrior draft nowadays destroys this

gutshot

If you want to make a budget Warrior deck, your best bet is probably Face Warrior. Fiery War Axe, Kor'kron, Heroic Strike, Arcanite Reaper, Wolfrider, etc. Grom isn't even a terrible card to fit in there either. He's a finisher at least.

Tarazet

Like you said yourself that's just a midrange struggle deck, it really is impossible to build a basic/budget CW. Should be more than enough for getting the monthly cardback though.

Ironically the average Warrior draft nowadays destroys this

I don't doubt it. Even to make a reasonable "mid-budget" control deck probably costs 5000-7000 dust. Kolento's Elise deck costs more than that and that is cheap by the standard of CW decks. I have a pretty decent collection myself from playing mostly F2P since open beta, but even then, I'm missing the second Brawl, the Shieldmaidens, Justicar, and Harrison.

CoolOff

I am convinced that the secret to going far in the arena is asking yourself every step of the draft "how does this card work against Paladin?". I'm 10-2 with a Hunter and the last 7 have been Uther.

Apathy

I am convinced that the secret to going far in the arena is asking yourself every step of the draft "how does this card work against Paladin?". I'm 10-2 with a Hunter and the last 7 have been Uther.

Only time that changes is if you pick paladin, then you ask yourself every steep of the way "which one if these is the most bullshit option", and pick that one, usually something like keeper of uldaman

Ketch

I mean the new dr boom is gonna be Cthun right? It just won't be nearly as game breaking.

Everyone is gonna have it, everyone's gonna try it at least, if played on curve it's probably gonna win the game... Right?

And shamans gonna be the new paladin.

Levi

Banned
Seeing a lot more face hunters lately, not as much zoo. Consequently, my CW win rate is much improved over what the run rate had been.

I am 8-1 vs hunter and 9-1 in the mirror, my two easiest match ups. Only up to 14 so far this season but to be fair many matches go to fatigue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Again, Patron will not survive the loss of Death's Bite. The deck doesn't lack conditional card advantage, it lacks tempo.

It seems like Blizzard is pushing some kind of value Warrior instead, not sure how that will pan out.

Have they actually introduced any cards that make archetypes faster this set?

Pretty much everything seems to push decks toward being slower.

gutshot

I mean the new dr boom is gonna be Cthun right? It just won't be nearly as game breaking.

Everyone is gonna have it, everyone's gonna try it at least, if played on curve it's probably gonna win the game... Right?

And shamans gonna be the new paladin.

Nah. Dr. Boom fit into so many different decks. Mid-range, control, even fairly aggressive decks like Mech Shaman would run it. Only decks that didn't run it were pure face decks.

C'thun will only be run in specific C'thun decks, obviously. And depending on which class has the most broken class card, that will be the only class with a viable C'thun deck.

georly

More and more weapons are getting death rattles. And in theory you could put a weapon silence on a better body.

Something like that would see as much play as holy Knight. Works against a small handful of decks only. It's good when you're playing 1v1 and know what deck your opponent will have, but that's about it.

Nah. Dr. Boom fit into so many different decks. Mid-range, control, even fairly aggressive decks like Mech Shaman would run it. Only decks that didn't run it were pure face decks.

C'thun will only be run in specific C'thun decks, obviously. And depending on which class has the most broken class card, that will be the only class with a viable C'thun deck.

Yeah, I think the definition of a 'dr. boom' is a legendary card that fits into more decks than it SHOULD. This likely rules out class legendaries. So far I don't think we have one, yet. Let's see what the last old god does (though, at 10 mana, I doubt it could ever reach dr boom levels).

Top Bottom