• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

IvorB

I think classic is the best investment. Once you know what deck or decks you want to build, you can then narrow down whats the best set to buy from. Classic still has a lot of strong cards used in a wide variety of decks.

Okay cool. I'll go with classic. Didn't get anything good :-(. Then I got the 100 from doing the expert practice and got a legendary but for warrior :-(. Luck is not with me.

Anyways, played a bit online and up to five wins now with my daily quests done or nearly done. I'm seeing that a lot of people are playing the mage online which makes me what to play another class...

Okay cool. I'll go with classic. Didn't get anything good :-(. Then I got the 100 from doing the expert practice and got a legendary but for warrior :-(. Luck is not with me.

Anyways, played a bit online and up to five wins now with my daily quests done or nearly done. I'm seeing that a lot of people are playing the mage online which makes me what to play another class...
IMO, don't buy packs at all.

Learn to play Arena and maximize your gold.

IMO, don't buy packs at all.

Learn to play Arena and maximize your gold.
He's gonna have a real rough time in Arena if he doesn't learn how to play the game properly first or it doesn't even matter how good his drafts are, that's a lot of wasted gold. Earning gold through Arena seems more like a long term plan after you already built somewhat of a collection and are experienced with all the classes.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Instead it'll just get polymorphed, deathed,mulched,executed,assassinated and the rest.
And yet all of those represent smaller tempo swings/card advantage swings than BGH.

ViviOggi

Mage has the most viable basic tools for building a beginner deck, and since the newbie midrange Mage is pretty flexible you can just throw almost any decent card you pull from a pack in there. With its straight-forward tools it's also rather easy to play.

Once you start building stronger decks and climb in rank you'll run into less Mages because it's not the most braindead and consistently broken class HS has to offer.

He's gonna have a real rough time in Arena if he doesn't learn how to play the game properly first or it doesn't even matter how good his drafts are, that's a lot of wasted gold. Earning gold through Arena seems more like a long term plan after you already built somewhat of a collection and are experienced with all the classes.
In my experience, those packs are pretty useless early on. A card here or there doesn't make a deck.

Sheroking

Instead it'll just get polymorphed, deathed,mulched,executed,assassinated and the rest.

All of this is perfectly fine.

Each class only has a couple hard removals for big cards, if they even have more than 1. They can only run 2 of each. If they use a low tempo removal spell to kill Ancient One, you don't lose the game because you played Ancient One. They can't use that removal on another big minion.

BGH meanwhile renders your big minion a game-losing play because the tempo swing is so massive - so there's no point in even playing big minions unless their effect is so OP the minion dying doesn't matter.

gutshot

The Warrior legendary, Grommash Hellscream, is a really good card though. You'll be happy you pulled it once your collection starts to fill out more and you can make Warrior decks.

Apathy

All of this is perfectly fine.

Each class only has a couple hard removals for big cards, if they even have more than 1. They can only run 2 of each. If they use a low tempo removal spell to kill Ancient One, you don't lose the game because you played Ancient One. They can't use that removal on another big minion.

BGH meanwhile renders your big minion a game-losing play because the tempo swing is so massive - so there's no point in even playing big minions unless their effect is so OP the minion dying doesn't matter.

The thing is you need to to make it to turn 9, play a blood, then wait to turn 10 to put the second one down and then on 11 you can actually use the thing. The opposing player only has to kill the first blood to stop you from making your play. At 9 if you use a removal, you can still play a 4-6 mana worth of minions (depending on what class and what removal). If the tempo swing from playing bgh is so high at 9 mana to remove a big thing that you are almost guaranteed to lose anyway, it'll basically be the same thing with a class removal.

The Warrior legendary, Grommash Hellscream, is a really good card though. You'll be happy you pulled it once your collection starts to fill out more and you can make Warrior decks.

If he got grommash, hell thats a fantastic legendary. Totally consider crafting warrior cards and building around it when you get more.

I basically let my first class legendary(Antonidas) decide which class I was gonna build a legit deck for so if you got Gromm from a pack you should totally build a deck around him.

Sheroking

The thing is you need to to make it to turn 9, play a blood, then wait to turn 10 to put the second one down and then on 11 you can actually use the thing. The opposing player only has to kill the first blood to stop you from making your play. At 9 if you use a removal, you can still play a 4-6 mana worth of minions (depending on what class and what removal). If the tempo swing from playing bgh is so high at 9 mana to remove a big thing that you are almost guaranteed to lose anyway, it'll basically be the same thing with a class removal.

They play BGH and kill an Ancient of Blood, they get 5-6 mana to play more shit and have a board that contests you next turn. If they play a spell like Polymorph, they have 4-5 mana to put ANYTHING on their board. By design, the hard removal spells in this game are low tempo and the ones that aren't (Shadow Word: Death for example) are in very low tempo classes.

Without BGH, classes are going to be forced to use precious burn and trade minions off FAR more often than they do now against big minions. Even if they do use hard removal, they don't get to impact their own board nearly as well and you may have other big cards that can no longer be removed - because they used their removal.

Dre

Lifecoach's card:

635955022537139709.png

Echo Mage is dead, long live Echo Warrior

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Decent card, but not quite as good as Battle Rage. It'll be fun to see if anyone figures out a way to abuse it.

Levi

Banned
The first fucking time I'm offered Deathwing in Arena in 14 months of playing this game, it's the third to last pick of the shittiest mage deck ever drafted.

Not a single quality card before turn 5, no way to grab to board, no comeback mechanics, no taunts, a couple of fireballs which do nothing in this meta of "vomit out a million tiny minions and don't bother playing around flamestrike".

Would be nice if I ever saw a fucking flamestrike or a blizzard or anything. Fuck this game, fuck my life.

That card is automatic for Patron Warrior. Drop double Armorsmiths and clone them? Unbelievably good. Imagine if a Whirlwind gave you 28 armor.

Peléo

Lifecoach's card:

635955022537139709.png

Amazing card that will lead to new Warrior decks. Whirlwind + Blood Warriors is a two card Echo.It is also a opportunity to put more Patrons in your hand. And to get more cards for monkey in fatigue wars.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Warrior card has potential. I think it synergizes better with warrior then mage, I could see some really grindy decks come out of it, especially in wild.

Cat Party

Peléo;200270342 said:
Amazing card that will lead to new Warrior decks. Whirlwind + Blood Warriors is a two card Echo.It is also a opportunity to put more Patrons in your hand. And to get more cards for monkey in fatigue wars.
Yup. Should be fun to use. Reno + whirlwind + this card slides in at 10 mana.

Fishlake

Looks like it will rain blood for warriors. I think that is going to be very powerful. Imagine 4 armor smiths or taking your whole patron field back to your hand. there are so many ways I can see this helping warriors.

More Renos anyone?

Haly

This isn't that great with Patron. You don't want to have 5 Patrons that don't do anything in the hand, since you need to cast them manually.

I think this is best with Control Warrior for pushing a lead.

EDIT: On second thought, hrm.

Fishlake

This isn't that great with Patron. You don't want to have 5 Patrons that don't do anything in the hand, since you need to cast them manually.

I think this is best with Control Warrior for pushing a lead.

I think I ideally one or 2 of them could save you from running out of steam. Of course you don't want just patrons in your hand unless they are paying you.

This card wants to keep you going.

Haly

The problem I'm seeing is that with Deathbite rotating there's no easy way to turn on Patron on turn 5, so it's a turn 6 play + Inner Rage + Whirlwind. So on turn 7, assuming they're not cleared, you get 3 Patrons for 3 mana which is just slightly better than Arcane Intellect's 3 mana to draw 2 and slightly worse than Battle Rage's 2 mana to draw 3. But the issue here is you've just used Inner Rage and Whirlwind. What are you going to do with all those Patrons in your hand?

Like, I would like to have a board of 2 Patrons + Armorsmith/Berserker to Whirlwind + Blood Warriors but in order to build up Patrons I'd need to use Whirlwind first. I think Patron would have to start using Revenge and Revenge is just an overcosted Whirlwind for Patron.

A reasonable "average play" I'm interested in is Armorsmith + Whirlwind + Blood Warriors for 6 mana with some Patrons on the board but how am I getting Patrons on the board if I'm saving Whirlwind to use with this? It's effectiveness as card draw goes down with each card you need to expend to "turn it on". Whirlwind + Blood Warriors is 2 cards and 4 mana. I expect at least 3 cards from it for an adequate ROI.

V-Faction

Lifecoach's card:

635955022537139709.png

Charging and tearing,
Courageous and daring,
Ferocious and bloody,
With flesh to sher
All through the horrors,
Shouting out roars,
Armoring up,
As their arms come to bear.

Gummiors!
Bouncing Blade here and everywhere
High armor that's beyond compare
They are the Gummiors!

Weapons and Fist-y
Are part of their history.
Along with the secret,
Of Gummibloody juice.
Their legend is growing,
They take pride in knowing,
They'll fight for what's right,
(At least that's the excuse)

Gummiors!
Bouncing Blade there and everywhere
Everybody, get in here!
They are the Gummiors
THEY ARE THE GUMMIORS!

Fishlake

A minion having a whirlwind effect also helps this card in patron so that you have some optional whirlwinds you can duplicate.

Ridli

You're not going to be able to slot echo of garrosh into current patron. Without getting extra activators the additional patrons aren't nearly as valuable. I still think there's a lot of possibilities for it though.

The first fucking time I'm offered Deathwing in Arena in 14 months of playing this game, it's the third to last pick of the shittiest mage deck ever drafted.

Not a single quality card before turn 5, no way to grab to board, no comeback mechanics, no taunts, a couple of fireballs which do nothing in this meta of "vomit out a million tiny minions and don't bother playing around flamestrike".

Would be nice if I ever saw a fucking flamestrike or a blizzard or anything. Fuck this game, fuck my life.

Take a breath and remember...

I mean it! Sometimes just get a bad draft. You'll get a better one next time. Take a breather.

Apathy

the art was pointing to warrior (or shaman) from the start. Wish more warrior card art was dwarf based or really any other race based. Hell forsaken barely have anything.

Tarazet

Warrior card has potential. I think it synergizes better with warrior then mage, I could see some really grindy decks come out of it, especially in wild.

Fill your board with Dread Corsairs for free with Arcanite Reaper in hand and a Whirlwind.

Duplicate Grom with Inner Rage and a Thaurissan proc. Or duplicate Rag. Or Healy Rag.

Thing is that you have to get 3 mana worth of value out of it. That discourages using it on a Patron or something cheap like Armorsmith, though I can see how that could turn the tide in some matchups.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder when a class is going to get a way to shuffle their entire hand back into the deck. Would be really good for super grindy decks that can create cards, so you would have an advantage during fatigue.

Frenden

Banned
Lifecoach was pretty down on that card, but as someone who's been playing primarily some variant of Wallet Warrior since beta, I think it could be really good. But what do I know? I don't rope turn one either.

jgminto

That card seems great for some Control Warrior variation. Shame it's a lot worse in standard without Death's Bite though.

Dahbomb

I don't see this card belonging in Patron Warrior because just like Echo Medivh this card is anti tempo on use. Maybe you can put this card in as a tech option to have more threats against control match ups but eh...

You also need to hit more than 2 minions to get value from this and in addition they have to be damaged which isn't always the case just like Battle Rage.

This is really a card that Fatigue Warriors are going to use. Good thing that Deathlords/Belchers are gone from Standard otherwise they would be copying Deathlords and speeding up the fatigue process.

Frenden

Banned
Existing archetypes are up in the air until we see what's getting nerfed in standard, but I think that card'll do work when the dust settles.

Top Bottom