• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the design of Xaril. I really hope he's playable. He's exactly the kind of card that Rogue needs imo.

gutshot

Yeah Blizzard really dropped the ball on class Legendaries after Classic.

The Lightlord is good though.

Even if Hunter doesn't get a good Legendary they got a couple of nice 8 drop epics. Unlike Warlocks..

I think Sandworm is way too slow to be run in Constructed. Great arena card though. Call of the Wild is amazing, of course. A good sub for Boom in midrange Hunter.

I think the legendaries in this set have been fine up until now, not jaw dropping stuff, but all fine.

Rag is good
Xaril(?) is good(and cool)
Hallazeal is potentially great(and cool)
Volazj is eh(but cool)
Cho'Gall is good

That leaves Hunter, Mage, Warrior and Druid. IMO all of these classes would like a good legendary. Also I literally sat here for ten minutes trying to remember the ninth class in Hearthstone, fucking Druid.

Of those, I think only Cho'gall and maybe Rag will see any play. Xaril is just kind of meh. We already had Spare Parts and Rogues never really were able to take advantage of them. Hellazeal requires such a specific scenario to get value, way too clunky. Volajz is in the same boat.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Xaril is just kind of meh. We already had Spare Parts and Rogues never really were able to take advantage of them.

Toxins > Spare Parts. Plus you get two of them.

TWO OF THEM

Plus synergy with Unearthed Raptor.

Hallazeal doesn't require any specific scenario to gain value, the scenario is:

Play Hallazeal
Cast AOE
???
Value

It's a 5 mana 4/6 so even if you don't cast shit it's not that bad, you don't need 20hp heals out of it for it to be good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel Hallazeal's strength is that you often don't need all that much healing to win against aggro, and the body is reasonable.

Miracle only ran two Earthen Rings as its heals for a long time.

That the concept scales based on how much pressure you are under helps a lot too.

Dahbomb

Hallazeal is a great card for sure.

But it might not get used if Control Shaman isn't a thing. Similar to how Dreadsteed and Powershot rarely got used. I mean yeah there was that Jackie Chan Hunter deck that slanted more on the control side but it was not a widely used deck.

Ketch

Yea must have halazeal confused for another card I don't understand how that's clunky at all.

Shaman is gonna be great this expansion.

gutshot

Hallazeal doesn't require any specific scenario to gain value, the scenario is:

Play Hallazeal
Cast AOE
???
Value

It's a 5 mana 4/6 so even if you don't cast shit it's not that bad, you don't need 20hp heals out of it for it to be good.

This would be great if Shaman's board clears weren't such shit. And even then, you need to have both Hallazeal and the board clear in hand with enough mana to cast both.

In almost all other scenarios it's just a vanilla 4/6 with taunt. Or you drop it and use burn to remove one small minion and heal for a bit. Not that exciting.

I just don't see it being able to generate value all that often.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that's enough against a lot of aggro though.

How many times do you find yourself dying by just a few HP against a face or heavy pressure deck, or only just barely win as one yourself?

Like yes, it's not as exciting as dropping Reno Jackson, but I don't think it needs to be.

fertygo

Almost lose to Secret Pally despite I'm playing perfectly because Divine Favors and he manage to kill my board with ysera because flooding the board with muster and shieldbot + Equality

he lost to fatigue damage with 7 minion and I only had 2 HP left

Class about fairness my ass

Almost lose to Secret Pally despite I'm playing perfectly because Divine Favors and he manage to kill my board with ysera because flooding the board with muster and shieldbot + Equality

he lost to fatigue damage with 7 minion and I only had 2 HP left

Class about fairness my ass
But he fights with honor...

Tarazet

I think that's enough against a lot of aggro though.

How many times do you find yourself dying by just a few HP against a face or heavy pressure deck, or only just barely win as one yourself?

Like yes, it's not as exciting as dropping Reno Jackson, but I don't think it needs to be.

It's the same body as Reno Jackson, for 1 less mana, and you don't need to build your entire deck around him. It is a more than fair tradeoff of power for consistency.

Mulgrok

I leveled a trial character to 20 in WoW for the hero portrait. So boring that I feel it was not worth the time. I hadn't played WoW in 6 years, and it appears to be worse than ever.

I leveled a trial character to 20 in WoW for the hero portrait. So boring that I feel it was not worth the time. I hadn't played WoW in 6 years, and it appears to be worse than ever.

Ehhh. 1-20 not exactly a highlight, particularly on a trial account with its myriad restrictions.

Anyway, I love watching Kripp get salty when he's doing poorly in arena. He just went 3-3 and yeah, some pretty crazy decks, but something about the absurdity of it makes me giggle so much. He does well most of the time, so it's kinda refreshing when RNG is particularly not in his favor.

Zoggy

Sorry guys. I submitted the survey. I didn't even think about making screenshots.

This is the email if anyone gets it. I made a ticket to verify it was legit before doing it.

2p85cPJ.png

Hopefully someone else is clever enough to take some screenshots.

just checked my email and i did get the survey, screens incoming

edit: what a boring ass survey, wasted my time uploading it

http://imgur.com/a/OeF3O

Pooya

I guess you can afford to play double siphon and shadowflame with chogal. Also explains why newer warlock spells are so hilariously awful.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I dig cho'gall. Should be a nice fit into Reno since the tempo swing off of a spell like siphon is huuuuge.

Apathy

With the cards so far, shaman still seem to have the best, even with hour good chogal looks. They are the class to beat right now. Let's see what the rest get.

if 'all you faced' was shitty aggro decks you could've done something like created a homebrew taunt/heal druid deck and shut those decks down FYI i love it when i run into nothing but aggro because it's so easy to make a successful homebrew deck like that. it's really easy to shut down if you're totally confident that's what you're going to face (no pun intended)

I did that once with a Druid deck and I died by turn 6, no idea how that happened. Opponent had a God-like hand of silence and damage spells that steamrollered my taunts, was funny in a weird way.

Think I'll enjoy taking a break from Hearthstone, anyway. Gives me an excuse to work through my backlog. Hopefully Standard and new cards will give me a reason to come back.

Guy gets Malorne out of Ram Wrangler in Tavern Brawl, I kill it, then play mindgames to summon it for myself. He tries playing mindgames while mine is alive, whiffs, concedes. Like what did you expect lol.

georly

Aww man, I misread cho'gall last night, thinking it was all spells til end of turn. Now it's just ok.

chogall doom, chogall syphon soul, chogall twisting nether, chogall demonheart, chogall bane of doom. Eh. I mean, it's a 7/7 body + an expensive spell, but it could be better.

ViviOggi

Cho'Gall is pretty good though I'm not feeling the hype. Yeah it's one big tempo swing for spell-heavier Warlocks and likely a must-include for those lists, but even in the best case scenarios (like Chi + Siphon) he can't create board states your opponent couldn't deal with reasonably well on their following turn.

He's kind of a worse Emperor in that he doesn't enable win condition combos/new archetypes, or a playable Wilfred. He's a nice tool that will give slightly more flexibility to existing archetypes, nothing groundbreaking.

Still laughing at the fact that Blizz thought people would start building inspire decks to get that epic Wilfred value..........

fertygo

Aww man, I misread cho'gall last night, thinking it was all spells til end of turn. Now it's just ok.

chogall doom, chogall syphon soul, chogall twisting nether, chogall demonheart, chogall bane of doom. Eh. I mean, it's a 7/7 body + an expensive spell, but it could be better.

How better, he give free spell jebus

Magnus

Could someone explain for me the main reasons why Wilfred didn't work out as a must-include in Warlock decks? On paper it seems awesome. Most locks tap several times a game. Is he just like Velen or Emp? Too awesome but rarely survives more than one turn?

ViviOggi

Could someone explain for me the main reasons why Wilfred didn't work out as a must-include in Warlock decks? On paper it seems awesome. Most locks tap several times a game. Is he just like Velen or Emp? Too awesome but rarely survives more than one turn?
Hypertrash statline and too high of a chance to draw nothing of worth from a single tap which is all you're ever gonna get. It was printed with inspire in mind which is a joke mechanic.

Magnus

Hypertrash statline and too high of a chance to draw nothing of worth from a single tap which is all you're ever gonna get. It was printed with inspire in mind which is a joke mechanic.

To play devil's advocate -

Is 4/4 that bad for a 6 mana minion with a killer effect?
If you draw just one card (like Jaraxxus) that's 6+ mana, and helps set up a killer turn down the line that wouldn't have been possible, even with a few Emperor ticks, isn't that worth considering? (I get that that's a big gamble)
Also, is Inspire really that dismissed? If the effect is solid, like with Murloc Knight, isn't it great? Snowballs so nicely.

(I'm a little bitter and biased because I got a golden Wilfred from my initial TGT packs and loved the animation. lol)

Dahbomb

Because even slow Control heavy Warlock decks run cheap cards and getting a 1/2 cost spell with Fizzlebang is garbage. The stats make it so that the card hardly ever survives more than one turn.

Both Velen and Thaurissan have better stats. Just run Emperor instead of Fizzlebang, much better ROI.

You forgot to add in two for the hero power. So 8 mana play that can fizzle with a cheap card.

Getting Jaraxxus is around a 1/20 chance compared to getting Dark Peddlers, Mortal Coils, Owls, Ancient Watcher, DoA, Dark Bombs, Zombie Chow,BGH etc.

ViviOggi

If you draw just one card (like Jaraxxus) that's 6+ mana, and helps set up a killer turn down the line that wouldn't have been possible, even with a few Emperor ticks, isn't that worth considering? (I get that that's a big gamble)
Also, is Inspire really that dismissed? If the effect is solid, like with Murloc Knight, isn't it great? Snowballs so nicely.

What Wilfred is is an 8-drop that is 1000000000000% guaranteed to die immediately, so yes 4/4 is absolutely awful for an effect that also lacks consistency. You'd need a Garrison Commander to live a turn in the lategame so you could go for the 10 mana double tap gamble. That is not something you can do in Hearthstone.

And in the same sense Murloc Knight is actually a 6-drop with a pretty solid average value on its own, and those inspire cards are the only ones that have ever seen some play because they are not anti-tempo cards shooting for some unrealistic, multi-turn value dream. Murloc Knight is arguably one of the best inspire cards and it's still at best a one-of in a handful of tier 2/3 decks.

NBtoaster

(I'm a little bitter and biased because I got a golden Wilfred from my initial TGT packs and loved the animation. lol)

The effect has to be really incredible for a 6 mana 4/4. Even Mistcaller has a pretty good effect but is still pretty poor as a turn 6 play because it dies to a 2 drop + ping. Wilfred is especially bad because he doesn't do anything by himself. And the card you drew isn't really free anyway because you spent 2 mana and lost 2 health.

Apathy

What Wilfred is is an 8-drop that is 1000000000000% guaranteed to die immediately, so yes 4/4 is absolutely awful for an effect that also lacks consistency. You'd need a Garrison Commander to live a turn in the lategame so you could go for the 10 mana double tap gamble. That is not something you can do in Hearthstone.

And in the same sense Murloc Knight is actually a 6-drop with a pretty solid average value on its own, and those inspire cards are the only ones that have ever seen some play because they are not anti-tempo cards shooting for some unrealistic, multi-turn value dream. Murloc Knight is arguably one of the best inspire cards and it's still at best a one-of in a handful of tier 2/3 decks.

This, inspire cards are basically 2 more mana than what they are valued for, because they basically are instant kill for your opponent. So of you drop it at 6, with 4/4 your opponent is going to have an easy time to stop it without you getting any benefit from it.

Emperor is less of a gamble than Wilfred. With Emperor, you drop him on turn 6 and get a 1 mana discount on everything in hand. If you're playing a control Warlock, you're likely to be holding anywhere from 6 to 9 cards. That's a pretty big discount and it's very likely to hit at least 1 or 2 key cards. With Wilfred, you can't play him until turn 8, he has worse stats, and you're never going to get more than 1 discounted card. That might be worth it if you pull Jaraxxus, but you're just as likely to draw Darkbomb or Sunfury Protector.

Top Bottom