• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

From Tempostorm.

https://tempostorm.com/articles/tempo-storm-old-gods-reveal-soggoth-the-slitherer

CeUsMSj.png

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Taunt never should have been able to be silenced. If Owl is nerfed which it should be then I like this card.

Wisps of the Old Gods is probably bad. Might as well just use Cenarius for 2 more mana and the 5/8 body.

Slitherer just seems too expensive. If it was maybe 7 or 8 mana it's be a whole lot better.

FeD.nL

So one more neutral legendary to go. Overall not terribly impressed with the neutral legendaries.

Though I guess that's fine if the class ones make an impact.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, people don't like this card? It's stats aren't awesome for the cost but it's basically removal proof. They HAVE to use silence on it before it can be removed. It guarantees you a 2 for 1! The silence + removal. If you have other high value silence targets in your deck (Tirion, sylvannas, etc) this forces out on of them. Send like a great card to me. It's a 1 of in a deck with valuable silence targets.

Might not be amazing but it will be played a bit in the right cases

Dahbomb

In a CCG, a decision should never be good in all situations. The most basic element of strategy is knowing when something is a good idea, and when it is not.
And that applies to Flamestrike too.

Flamestrike can be played around by not playing a ton of minions into it. For the Mage to get appropriate value from Flamestrike it has to remove 14+ stats from the board. Less than that and you over paid for the card and developed nothing on the board. You don't win with Flamestrike, you play it to not lose versus playing minions which you do to win.

Flamestrike is a reactive card against small and mid sized minions. You punish it by playing large minions. A good player is not going to Flamestrike just a 5/6 on the board. Hell even nuking 2 small minions is a bad proposition but that's where the strategy comes in... do you take the value hit now or do you let them build a bigger board by bluffing that you don't have Flamestrike?

This is not even close to playing Minibot on turn 2. There's never a bad time to play Minibot on turn 2 as there is no punishment. Same for Mad Scientist and Creeper. It's only a choice if you are presented with these 2 drops at the same time and in that case you are just trading one over powered unpunishable minion with another.

And that applies to Flamestrike too.

Flamestrike can be played around by not playing a ton of minions into it. For the Mage to get appropriate value from Flamestrike it has to remove 14+ stats from the board. Less than that and you over paid for the card and developed nothing on the board. You don't win with Flamestrike, you play it to not lose versus playing minions which you do to win.

Flamestrike is a reactive card against small and mid sized minions. You punish it by playing large minions. A good player is not going to Flamestrike just a 5/6 on the board. Hell even nuking 2 small minions is a bad proposition but that's where the strategy comes in... do you take the value hit now or do you let them build a bigger board by bluffing that you don't have Flamestrike?

This is not even close to playing Minibot on turn 2. There's never a bad time to play Minibot on turn 2 as there is no punishment. Same for Mad Scientist and Creeper. It's only a choice if you are presented with these 2 drops at the same time and in that case you are just trading one over powered unpunishable minion with another.
Some cards are so good, and so game-changing, that it makes sense to give players ways to create additional difficulties. Nerubian Egg is such a way.

Dahbomb

Some cards are so good, and so game-changing, that it makes sense to give players ways to create additional difficulties. Nerubian Egg is such a way.
What are these cards that are so godlike that they necessitate making stuff like Creeper and Nerubian Egg?

Flamestrike is so slow and expensive in Constructed that not even Freeze Mage carries two of it. All other board clears are ineffecient compared to minions on average.

What are these cards that are so godlike that they necessitate making stuff like Creeper and Nerubian Egg?

Flamestrike is so slow and expensive in Constructed that not even Freeze Mage carries two of it. All other board clears are ineffecient compared to minions on average.
Creeper is debatable, but I don't think Nerubian Egg is too strong. you could nerf it by making it a 0/3 or something, though. It's a great strategic piece.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Flamestrike is so good that neither of viable the Mage decks run it even with Nerubian Egg played by very few decks.

Tempostorm's newest Freeze Mage doesn't even run one: https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/freeze-mage-meta-snapshot-51

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wisps of the Old Gods is probably bad. Might as well just use Cenarius for 2 more mana and the 5/8 body.

Slitherer just seems too expensive. If it was maybe 7 or 8 mana it's be a whole lot better.

I think I can see what the Wisps card is going for. Its basically a Token Druid tool. If you have a board, you use it to buff it up. If your board just got wiped out, you use the wisps option to fill it up again. Not sure if it will be super useful though.

Also, Blizard posted this about Yogg:
"We then worked to make sure the opponent's turn is still a full 75 seconds. We tested this with and without Nozdormu and it seems to work great."

So it looks like your opponents turn just don't start until the animation is finished. Likely means if its super long, you won't have time to use anything it may summon though.

It also hard caps at 40 spells (Bran can still double it)

The Wisp spell seems absolutely terrible, but I don't mind Druids getting bad spells. I like the big taunt only if owl gets nerfed, also I'd rather it be like 8 mana 5/8.

JesseZao

I think I can see what the Wisps card is going for. Its basically a Token Druid tool. If you have a board, you use it to buff it up. If your board just got wiped out, you use the wisps option to fill it up again. Not sure if it will be super useful though.

Also, Blizard posted this about Yogg:
"We then worked to make sure the opponent's turn is still a full 75 seconds. We tested this with and without Nozdormu and it seems to work great."

So it looks like your opponents turn just don't start until the animation is finished. Likely means if its super long, you won't have time to use anything it may summon though.

Why the counter didn't always start after the "Your Turn" banner is shown has always baffled me.

Flamestrike is so good that neither of viable the Mage decks run it even with Nerubian Egg played by very few decks.

Tempostorm's newest Freeze Mage doesn't even run one: https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/freeze-mage-meta-snapshot-51
Tempostorm, though?

This meta might just be too fast for Flamestrike. One dead card in your hand for 7 turns can end a game right now. That's why I really wish that Hearthstone would let you cycle one card per turn like Duelyst does. It's such an amazing feature, and my matches feel so much less luck-oriented when I get to cycle out a card every turn.

Instant win against rogue.

The game need a minion that silences on hit.

I don't think Mages ran two Flamestrikes pre-Naxx either. Card has only ever been a terror in arena, I can't recall much if any salt in constructed with the card.

Dahbomb

Creeper is debatable, but I don't think Nerubian Egg is too strong. you could nerf it by making it a 0/3 or something, though. It's a great strategic piece.
Nerubian Egg is on the borderline because you can at least somewhat punish it with Owl and send your Owl into it. Can't really do that against Creeper because it will still go one for one with Owl and you lose a very previous Silence in your deck.

You could punish these deathrattle minions by having a board wipe that also silences but silence also punishes big, expensive creatures. I don't think Blizzard would ever print a card like that, they have scaled down silence so hard ... last one we saw was Polymorph Boar for a class that already had a transform effect.

Acerac

Banned
I don't think Mages ran two Flamestrikes pre-Naxx either. Card has only ever been a terror in arena, I can't recall much if any salt in constructed with the card.

It's tough to run multiples when Blizzard exists.

It'll take out most of the same threats and gives you a turn of freeze which helps against many potential targets that flamestrike doesn't kill.

The game need a minion that silences on hit.

I love that idea. This needs to be a thing.

Nerubian Egg is on the borderline because you can at least somewhat punish it with Owl and send your Owl into it. Can't really do that against Creeper because it will still go one for one with Owl and you lose a very previous Silence in your deck.

You could punish these deathrattle minions by having a board wipe that also silences but silence also punishes big, expensive creatures. I don't think Blizzard would ever print a card like that, they have scaled down silence so hard ... last one we saw was Polymorph Boar for a class that already had a transform effect.
I would love to see an aggressive Wailing Spirit.

It's tough to run multiples when Blizzard exists.

It'll take out most of the same threats and give you a turn of freeze which helps against many potential targets that flamestrike doesn't kill.
Yeah, I generally prefer Blizzard as well. In Arena, you get to go face no matter what, while you might have to maintain tempo with Flamestrike.

Owzers

i think i'd play Soggoth if i drew him from a pack, but i'll probably be dead by turn 9 to aggro shaman/hunter anyways.

Dahbomb

LOL @ these last two cards.

Blizzard thought Dark Whispers was so good that they needed a replacement for its loss.

The neutral Legendary is cheeks because it's god damn 9 mana. Not as bad as Boogeymonster though.. that card is in the running for worst card of set so far (at very least worst Legendary).

i think i'd play Soggoth if i drew him from a pack, but i'll probably be dead by turn 9 to aggro shaman/hunter anyways.
That's why I run Unstable Ghoul x2, Dread Corsair x2, and Sludge Belcher x2 in my Patron deck. Gives me a lot of time to combo and turn the tables. I almost never lose to face decks. Patron automatically loses to control decks, so it's not important that it isn't effective against those. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I think a Priest card that both damages and silences the enemy would be fair. Part of their "Class Identity" is Silences, but with Owl being so good they don't really see play.

Dahbomb

You would think that with the lore saying that Soggoth killed 20 stone giants that it would at least be a 8/9 minion so it can kill two giants at least.

Cat Party

Druid spell is crap but fuck druid it doesn't deserve anything good.

New legendary is not bad for control. Great to have in the pool for confessor and golden monkey. But the existence of owl and kotg really limit it's usefulness. Too bad.

I think a Priest card that both damages and silences the enemy would be fair. Part of their "Class Identity" is Silences, but with Owl being so good they don't really see play.

It's not like they play Owl either, though. Priest runs removals, AoEs, and cards that steal your stuff, but not a whole lot of silences.

New legendary is not bad for control. Great to have in the pool for confessor and golden monkey. But the existence of owl and kotg really limit it's usefulness. Too bad.

It's pretty bad, even in control decks. If it ever starts to see regular play from control decks, other control decks will just start teching The Black Knight.

You would think that with the lore saying that Sogoth killed 20 stone giants that it would at least by a 8/9 minion so it can kill two giants at least.
You would think that an Old One wouldn't get killed by a Reckless Rocketeer or turned into a sheep, but here we are.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Man, Thank goodness GvG is going out because this has been one shitty set so far.

Yeah, now a big issue is that the Classic set is looking a lot stronger then the expansion. If classic is supposed to be ever green, expansions sort of need to all be better then it.

Top Bottom