• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard has noted that they're looking to nerf Silence in an effort to make buff decks better: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/hearthstone/506312-monk-visits-blizzard-changes-coming-to-standard

Speaking of Keeper of the Grove, Blizzard is looking to weaken Silence overall. According to developers, it felt strange when you played a buff deck and it just happens to get countered because you happen to have two Silences innately built into your Druid deck. Extrapolating this could point to cards like Ironbeak Owl and Spellbreaker receiving nerfs.

I'm expecting no new Silence cards, and nerfs to Keeper and Owl at minimum.

Pooya

NINE mana for that? yeah, no. Not even druid will play that.

-------

This archon thing is plain awful.

Man, Thank goodness GvG is going out because this has been one shitty set so far.

I'm not sure how they went on stage and claimed this is the best set they've created. It's so uninspired. TGT at least had a lot of original ideas even if it was weak.

Apathy

if that big ass taunt becomes prevalent on ladder (and if owl gets nerfed) we'll just see more paladins to counter it with keeper .

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
NINE mana for that? yeah, no. Not even druid will play that.

-------

This archon thing is plain awful.

I'm not sure how they went on stage and claimed this is the best set they've created. It's so uninspired. TGT at least had a lot of original ideas even if it was weak.

There is a chance they show off one last new mechanic next week on the 14th.

Owzers

Old Gods trickle of disappointment isn't doing much to build hype, there's still more cards to slowly announce each day though.

I feel like the card reveals have been going pretty good. Not every card is exciting but we've seen a few that have hyped me a bit.

xaril
anti-rag
undercity huckster
master of evolution
n'zoth

There are a couple more that I can't recall the names for as well. I remember with TGT most cards were big maybes. And while I feel like a lot are maybes, they are more like maybes because the standard shift is introducing a lot of unknowns, plus the card nerfs introducing even more, and less maybe because they are just borderline okay - like with tgt.

Sheroking

Old Gods trickle of disappointment isn't doing much to build hype, there's still more cards to slowly announce each day though.

Nah, this is the second best set ever IMO.

Nothing too overpowered, particularly in the early game, which promotes midrange cards. Lots of fun unique cards I think will be better than some here think, because they can't stop comparing them to overpowered cards that won't be a problem in the near future.

NBtoaster

There are some fun tools in the set but its kind of upsetting they then print trash like that Druid card.

Hopefully they wont just reveal a bunch of throwaway commons in the last week like Ice Rager and Tournament Attendee. All the C'thun cards means they don't have much room for that.

Acerac

Banned
I just think all of the Old Gods should have a new text that makes them have to be dealt with through your board.

Makes sense. Yogg'Saron will never survive his own birth.

I'M CRAFTING HIM DAY 1 I DON'T CARE THAT HE'S GARBAGE.

As far as silence, just split removal of text and removal of stat buffs. Granted, you'd need to change some card text and add a new mechanic, but it seems worthwhile.

Sheroking

Makes sense. Yogg'Saron will never survive his own birth.

I'M CRAFTING HIM DAY 1 I DON'T CARE THAT HE'S GARBAGE.

There's a Yogg'Saron simulator on Reddit. He survives more than you think. Like I thought, it's like 75% likely to do a bunch of things in your favor. It's just that rare time he decides to fireball you and assassinate himself that is going to SUUUUUCK.

Acerac

Banned
There's a Yogg'Saron simulator on Reddit. He survives more than you think. Like I thought, it's like 75% likely to do a bunch of things in your favor. It's just that rare time he decides to fireball you and assassinate himself that is going to SUUUUUCK.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and going with 8 spells he's been dying constantly for me. I suppose if I was more realistic and went with 6 or so he'd have a better chance.

Then again, depending how slow the meta is 8+ might not be impossible in many matchups.

*Edit*

Ha! That time I got a shadowstep before the twisting nether/excavated evil. Lucked out!

Raxus

It is a damn shame they have abandoned the discover mechanic this set since LoE had a ton of fun cards in it. They released a set that screams LATE GAME despite the fact they are getting rid of the sets that kept rush some what at bay.

Sheroking

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and going with 8 spells he's been dying constantly for me. I suppose if I was more realistic and went with 6 or so he'd have a better chance.

Then again, depending how slow the meta is 8+ might not be impossible in many matchups.

I think he's only a good fit in control, so yeah, 6-10 spells seems like a good bet. Honestly, it might be better to play him on curve after only 4 or so to minimize the damage.

Acerac

Banned
I think he's only a good fit in control, so yeah, 6-10 spells seems like a good bet. Honestly, it might be better to play him on curve after only 4 or so to minimize the damage.

Yeah, of course he is control only, but that has always been my favored style of play.

I honestly like him as a 10 mana "Kill all the things (including deathrattle minions) and draw some cards" spell. It won't always work out that way, but many control decks wouldn't mind having that option. I'm thinking he may be nifty in control priest against other slower decks now that lightbomb is no longer an option. Comes out far later, but it'll often give you a full hand to push through for end game.

We haven't even seen over half the set yet.

In any case I am more interested in the nerf bat list.
I'd they fuck up the nerfs that by itself could ruin standard for me.

I hope they'll eventually cut cards from the classic set as I feel it's too big for it not to be like 80% of standard at all times.

We haven't even seen over half the set yet.

In any case I am more interested in the nerf bat list.

Yep, I just can't get all that worked up about OG being bad yet. I agree with people that the ideas have been uninspiring (durrrr) but all I want is to be playing with and against some fresh stuff come Standard. Blizzard did say they weren't going to introduce any new key words with this set, so that might be contributing to how underwhelming things feel.

FWIW these were the first 24 cards shown of TGT. Not completely comparable but given what eventually saw play from the set, there's still opportunity for quality stuff to come in OG reveals.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Soggoth would be pretty disgusting if Y'Shaaraj pulled him out.

Edit: He'll also just win you the game against Priest. Like how is Control Priest going to deal with him? Priest can't deal 9 damage from minions. Priest doesn't run silence. Entomb, Death, and Mind Control get fucked. He's as good against Priest as Anub'arak is against Control Warrior.

Edit2: Sylvanas. That's it.

jgminto

That new legendary is alright but 9 mana is super high for the stats. And as someone who used to play with Dark Wispers I can safely say that the 7 mana one is even worse.

CeUsMSj.png

I think this is being greatly underestimated, especially in a potentially post-nerf-Owl world.

Paying 9 mana to introduce 5 attack to the board looks too costly to see play. It might be effective against some aggro decks, but by turn 9 the game is likely over one way or another anyway. Against anything else it'll be a poor play (slower decks will happily respond with bombs, mid-range decks should be able to trade it down efficiently and get ahead).

V-Faction

"Wispers of the Old Gods" exists solely for the pun. That's my theory.

Soggy Cornflakes is exactly the kind of card Y'Shaarj is looking for to pull from your deck. 1) High Cost; 2) Non-battlecry; 3) Taunt for protection. The Faerie Dragon affect is just gravy. The kicker being that you need to last that long.

As unfun as silence is, I don't think people will be happy if they nerf silence much.

I have thought up one way they could handle silence though. Silence removes card text only but doesn't hit enhancements. And dispel removes enhancements but not card text. And maybe they could have an effect that does both but would be more expensive than silence is currently.

As unfun as silence is, I don't think people will be happy if they nerf silence much.

I have thought up one way they could handle silence though. Silence removes card text only but doesn't hit enhancements. And dispel removes enhancements but not card text. And maybe they could have an effect that does both but would be more expensive than silence is currently.
As long as one of them destroys Secrets, cool.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Given Ironbeak to Hunters.

1) It's a beast
2) They need it for their gameplan
3) It helps promote the appearance of slow hunter if they get a 2 mana silence and other control decks don't

Sheroking

Silence removes card text but not stat buffs.

Peléo;200513548 said:
Silence a minion with Taunt.

This misses the point of why Owl is broken. This game just happened:

Hearthstone_Screenshot_04_08_16_16_42_17.png

Owl'd my taunt, Loatheb'd to make sure I couldn't clear. I'm dead on turn 8 because Owl is undercosted and enables massive tempo swings. Honestly, my solution would be to change Owl so it's something other than a silence and force people to play Spellbreaker.

Acerac

Banned

Owl'd my taunt, Loatheb'd to make sure I couldn't clear. I'm dead on turn 8 because Owl is undercosted and enables massive tempo swings. Honestly, my solution would be to change Owl so it's something other than a silence and force people to play Spellbreaker.
I thought that the reason owl was so good was because it was versatile. With my suggestion it'll do one thing as well as it used to, but it will be much weaker in other situations.

Are face hunter decks a big threat in the current meta?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The Taunt removal is the most powerful part of the Owl. Making it just do that is absolutely the wrong approach. For a neutral card it's just too cheap to have such a versatile effect. At most it should just silence stat buffs or something.

It turned your 5 mana minion into about a 3.5 mana minion. There are really way bigger tempo swings in the game than that. Honestly, I don't think this is why owl is problematic at all. The problem is that it impacts too many cards. So yes, silence a taunt is a good way to balance it. These suggestions address the actual problem (versatility, as people pointed out). Your problem seems to be very specific to you losing to it.

And sorry but slow warlocks losing to hunter is basically hearthstone law.

Sheroking

It turned your 5 mana minion into about a 3.5 mana minion.

For all intents and purposes, it basically cleared my board and killed me from 20 health.

I'm really not sure what you think is a bigger tempo swing?

There are really way bigger tempo swings in the game than that. Honestly, I don't think this is why owl is problematic at all. The problem is that it impacts too many cards. So yes, silence a taunt is a good way to balance it. These suggestions address the actual problem. Your problem seems to be very specific to you losing to it.

And sorry but slow warlocks losing to hunter is basically hearthstone law.

Ironbeak Owl is one of, if not THE, most requested nerf after Druid combo and has been since Hearthstone left beta.

It most certainly isn't limited to me losing to it. Although, people lose to aggro all the time because Ironbeak makes Taunts useless against Aggro. You know, the one thing Taunts exist to counter.

Luckily, we pretty much know that Owl is getting hit.

I think Kibler got it right when he argued that (paraphrased) Owl is simply anti-fun. For 2 mana, boom, all your text and buffs that you've spent tons of mana getting into play are gone. It discourages playing anything that doesn't get immediate value from battlecries, raw stats or being so low cost that it can't fail to get value. Like BGH does for anything with 7+ attack.

Schnauzer

The Taunt removal is the most powerful part of the Owl. Making it just do that is absolutely the wrong approach. For a neutral card it's just too cheap to have such a versatile effect. At most it should just silence stat buffs or something.

You say that but my AAA decks do not use an owl. The only time I seem to use an owl is Reno Jackson type decks. Then again I play Priest and Paladin the most, and they have better answers to things.

I thought that the reason owl was so good was because it was versatile. With my suggestion it'll do one thing as well as it used to, but it will be much weaker in other situations.

Are face hunter decks a big threat in the current meta?

It depends on the decks you play. My reno lock generally owns face hunter. It's all about mulligan strategy to deal with them.

You say that but my AAA decks do not use an owl. The only time I seem to use an owl is Reno Jackson type decks. Then again I play Priest and Paladin the most, and they have better answers to things.
I don't see how anecdotal evidence is relevant here, and yeah it's mostly Warlock/Hunter/Shaman that love using owl.

Top Bottom