• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

That RNG is nothing. I was playing against a control warrior as control paladin and I had a board of 7 minions. A handful of 2-5 attack minions. And he has already used his all his strongest board clears like geddon and brawls, and he played golden monkey so no more spells left anyway. His immediate next card he top decks is flame leviathan.

I still won but it was one of those moments. I forget if it was a full board clear or not. But being paladin, with justicar'd hero power, I had a strong board by the end of the turn.

KuroNeeko

For me, cards I'm going to miss the most are --

Lightbomb
Velen's Chosen
Light of the Naaru
Iron Sensei
Kelthuzad
Duplicate
Mal'ganis
Heal bot
Oil
Shade of Naxx

Cards I'm glad to see gone --

Dr. Boom
Mad Scientist
Muster
Shielded Minibot
Shredder
Belcher
Shield Maiden
Loatheb
Annoy-o-Tron
Death's Spite

I'll probably miss Shredder and Deathlord, but am glad they're leaving. I can't imagine what Control Priest is going to be like now...

Apathy

Not the most insane draft ever for me (that was one with 3 keepers) but pretty good none the less

lrQuDGj.jpg

Ketch

I guess but I would like it if both Paladins and Warlocks had a cheap, non drawback way to deal with a 2/3 minion.

yea this is what I was getting at.

more like efficient early game removal. rogue has got plenty of options, and paladin gets true silver to make up for it I guess.

but I guess without snow chugger or zombie chow it's not as big of a deal?

but still... like how's a warlock to deal with tunnel trogg or mana wyrm or that new 2/3 mini belcher?

I'm going to miss cool cards that never really got a chance before rotating out of Standard but a slower pace would of benefited them. Something like a Control based Mech deck that works with Gazlowe. I had a deck for a little bit but it never really worked that well due to what was out at the time. To me, a slower paced game would really help a deck like that out.

Sure, there will be Wild, but we're all assuming that will be insanely fast paced and relentless, right? Just sounds like Wild won't be that great fir deck experimentation as Standard will be.

Dahbomb

I'm going to miss cool cards that never really got a chance before rotating out of Standard but a slower pace would of benefited them. Something like a Control based Mech deck that works with Gazlowe. I had a deck for a little bit but it never really worked that well due to what was out at the time. To me, a slower paced game would really help a deck like that out.

Sure, there will be Wild, but we're all assuming that will be insanely fast paced and relentless, right? Just sounds like Wild won't be that great fir deck experimentation as Standard will be.
Gazlowe is Wild only and a Control Mech deck wouldn't survive the environment of Wild.

Acerac

Banned

Wild will be what we have now with some new cards and nerfs on some of the best cards in the game.

It legitimately may be a weaker environment than what we have in live, depending on nerfs.

Tarazet

Standard is probably going to be like the slums of 20-15 right now. Extreme control/fatigue decks and extreme aggro decks.

Gazlowe is Wild only and a Control Mech deck wouldn't survive the environment of Wild.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to get at. I feel like there are a few cards that never got a chance, but I was hoping for later on when we got more cards. Now, they never really well.

Wild will be what we have now with some new cards and nerfs on some of the best cards in the game.

It legitimately may be a weaker environment than what we have in live, depending on nerfs.

I kind of hope so, but I find it hard to believe it'll slow down at all.

Steward of Darkshire scares the shit out of me for what it could do in agro pally decks.

southsea deckhands, leper gnomes, and wolf riders with divine shield O_O

Steward of Darkshire scares the shit out of me for what it could do in agro pally decks.

Aggro decks aren't exactly known for pulling off card synergies. I guess it might work if they pull off a divine favor but it seems like it's not something people will try to pull off since it'll be inconsistent.

Levi

Banned
I'm really going to miss Deathlord, it's a fantastic card when played right :(

My deathlord pulled out a Mage's Reno the other day. Easy win after that. It's very good vs control since it gets them to fatigue faster and denies important battlecries. That and Death's Bite I am going to miss most.

Peléo

I put them in because of the hyper aggro decks I have been facing. If I don't have a card to play on turn 1 the game is over before it starts.

I see. It is impressive how much Shaman struggles in early game, even with Trogg.

We were both topdecking, so Dread Infernal was the strongest thing he possibly could have gotten out of that portal. Of course everything is fucking random so I couldn't be too salty, the guy had nothing to do with it.

Yes, Infernal was the best one. I just find it interesting to think about the other scenarios.

I had a Trollden moment last night. Pulled off a Brann/MCT combo. Stole my opponents taunt AND Grommash for lethal. lulz

Oh and also Brann/Defender of Argus value. All that combined gave me exact lethal. Wish I had recorded it.

Pooya

I've been trying this yogg saron simulator and neither player ever dies. lame card!

it actually works reasonably on board. could be playable.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I doubt Steward will be used in Aggro Pally in the traditional sense. Her effect is a lot like Hobgoblin. So a Steward deck will be slow but have an occasionally explosive Turn.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying this yogg saron simulator and neither player ever dies. lame card!

it actually works reasonably on board. could be playable.

I think it's really going to depend on how many spells you can get from it. If you can get 5+ it will probably be pretty positive overall. If you get 10, it's likely to be great (or tragic). Either way it will have big impact. You just don't know in what way or for whom.

ViviOggi

I'm with Dahbomb on this one, not gonna miss Deathlord at all. Back when it released in Naxx it was purely a tech card against aggro, and not a very strong one at that since those decks used to be almost entirely zoo-ish, i.e. sticky minions & buffs, pure face/stat vomit decks were the exception. GvG introduced Velen's and at the same time face lists became more and more popular, so Deathlord received a massive buff in consistency.

If it had ended there everything would be fine, you'd have your anti-aggro tech card that's risky enough to play against midrange/control to not be overpowered, and that mainly in a weak-ish class.

But nowadays Priest is not only a much stronger control class than it used to be, more importantly control/fatigue vs control matches have become incredibly reliant on a few, unique battlecries, so Deathlord is not only a huge pile of stats you can't ignore by design, it's now a 3-drop that straight up wins control matches by pulling the opponent's Elise/Justicar/Jaraxxus/Reno, cards that their entire deck is built around. On top of losing that clutch battlecry cards like Elise even become open to Entomb, a situation you would otherwise have played around at all costs. And all of this based around an rng roll.

It's simply a stupid way to decide one of the few remaining skillful matchups, and while it's a bummer to lose the only viable anti-aggro taunt it's ultimately better for the game.

NBtoaster

Yogg will probably be the most popular god after C'Thun. And at this rate those two will see significantly more play than the other neutral legendaries.

Just started playing again after 9 months off. Having fun again but I'm a little disappointed by the "discover" mechanic. It adds another random element to an already very random game. As a very casual player it's had to get a grasp on when I make a good deck or a bad deck. Sure I could go online and study decks and watch videos but that goes against why I play the game in the first place. Coming up with my own combinations feels really neat, even if they were discovered by another player the day after the card was implemented. When I first discovered Nerubian Egg + Power Overwhelming + Void Terror I felt like the smartest man on the planet.

I really hope moving forward they can add interesting mechanics without layering more random mechanics on the game. For the most part I just avoid using those cards, but I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage sometimes.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent after a string of very frustrating losses due to the opponent's RNG cards.

ViviOggi

Just started playing again after 9 months off. Having fun again but I'm a little disappointed by the "discover" mechanic. It adds another random element to an already very random game. As a very casual player it's had to get a grasp on when I make a good deck or a bad deck. Sure I could go online and study decks and watch videos but that goes against why I play the game in the first place. Coming up with my own combinations feels really neat, even if they were discovered by another player the day after the card was implemented. When I first discovered Nerubian Egg + Power Overwhelming + Void Terror I felt like the smartest man on the planet.

I really hope moving forward they can add interesting mechanics without layering more random mechanics on the game. For the most part I just avoid using those cards, but I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage sometimes.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent after a string of very frustrating losses due to the opponent's RNG cards.
NSJMX58KA7I71459988929592.gif

Discover has some RNG, but it's a HUGE improvement over the many cards that simple give you a 100% random card, like Piloted Shredder, which offers zero strategic value in its deathrattle. The Discover mechanic is relatively good because it lets the player make thoughtful decisions about how to influence the game mid-match. For example, I may be playing against a Face Hunter, and he has 5 damage available on the board between all of his minions, and I have Sludge Belcher. I play Dark Peddler, and my options are Power Overwhelming, Blood Imp, and Voidwalker. In this situation, I might decide to pick Blood Imp, normally a bad card to include in a deck, because he will push my Sludge Beldger to 6 health so he can tank both hits and survive, whereas Voidwalker will die easily while offering minimal value, and I do not want to PO my Sludge Belcher right now.

That might not even be the best play there, but the point is that Discover is a solid mechanic. The only issue I have is that some Discover mechanics are too good, like Museum Curators pulling out a Sylvannas on turn 2. I would be fine with Discover mechanics being limited to Common and Basic cards to prevent a few of the more silly results Discover can result in.

That said, Hearthstone is one of the most random and skill-limited strategy games I have played in my entire life. In playing the game, you just have to accept that it isn't a serious game even though Blizzard pretends it is. It would need 3-4 changes to be a respectable game.

Dahbomb

I wanted a 2 mana Discover card for Hunter so they could Discover Secrets, Quickshot, Owl, Flare, King's Elekk, Steamweedle, Glaivezooka, Lock n Load, Feign Death etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
RNG adds some spice to the game. It ensures no two games are exactly alike. You just have to counterbalance it a bit by making it something you can manipulate the odds of or find a way to make it work in your favor.

Discover is probably the best RNG mechanic that Blizzard has ever introduced into Hearthstone because while the 3 options you see are random, you still GET TO PICK one of the options. It essentially is the best of both worlds in RNG and strategy. I really do wish that Blizzard keeps using the mechanic. There's still a great design space there that they can keep using. Like I would love to see "Discover a Legendary Dragon" or something.

RNG adds some spice to the game. It ensures no two games are exactly alike. You just have to counterbalance it a bit by making it something you can manipulate the odds of or find a way to make it work in your favor.

Discover is probably the best RNG mechanic that Blizzard has ever introduced into Hearthstone because while the 3 options you see are random, you still GET TO PICK one of the options. It essentially is the best of both worlds in RNG and strategy. I really do wish that Blizzard keeps using the mechanic. There's still a great design space there that they can keep using. Like I would love to see "Discover a Legendary Dragon" or something.
I am absolutely certain that a good game does not RNG for "spice" purposes, and any quality game minimizes or removes such elements while retaining its high entertainment factor.

Funniest Yogg Sim result for me(only a couple of tries):

Blessing Kings on Yeti
Blessing Kings on Yeti
Earth Shock on Yeti
Assassinate Yeti

That was sadistic.

Dahbomb

Mind Control only works on enemy minions, it's one of the best cards that you can get from Yaarg because it has no negative effect.

Mind Control only works on enemy minions, it's one of the best cards that you can get from Yaarg because it has no negative effect.
Right, I know. What I'm saying is your opponent has a minion.

Double Blessing of Kings. - you feel sad and irritated.
Mind Control - YES AMAZING!
Assassinate - ugh, no way.

Rollercoaster of emotions.

Can you even Pyroblast your own face? I know we keep joking about it, but I don't know if you can.

Also, it would be interesting if Hearthstone had a mode where you had your entire deck available to you for play. No drawing, just playing anything you have in the deck that you can afford with your mana. I wonder what the meta would be like.

http://gbspend.com/YoggSim/

It's a new one, you can't change the board yet but I assume it's WIP.
I ran about 10 simulations, and the results weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Especially, there's a strong tendency to get card draw from Yogg through various spells with "Draw a card" as an after-effect. Even getting Flare in there is a blessing. There's also the potential for multiple Secrets, which is never a bad thing. Overall, this simulator has me feeling optimistic about the card.

Edit: Oh snap, I just got Shadowform'd from Yogg. Interesting that it could have a Sir Mrrrgllton effect.

Edit2: I swear Yogg only has a 50% chance to survive his own summoning, lol.

Can you even Pyroblast your own face? I know we keep joking about it, but I don't know if you can.

Also, it would be interesting if Hearthstone had a mode where you had your entire deck available to you for play. No drawing, just playing anything you have in the deck that you can afford with your mana. I wonder what the meta would be like.

Pretty sure I've done that before. Just ending a match instead of conceding.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I ran about 10 simulations, and the results weren't as bad as I thought they would be. Especially, there's a strong tendency to get card draw from Yogg through various spells with "Draw a card" as an after-effect. Even getting Flare in there is a blessing. There's also the potential for multiple Secrets, which is never a bad thing. Overall, this simulator has me feeling optimistic about the card.

This has similarly been working well for me. I think pretty much every board state was at least reasonable for me at the end.

Mind, the big thing here is I'm at 30 health when I'm playing it, but so is the enemy.

Top Bottom