• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

I only went into Arena once and got 7 wins, I distinctly remember that I traded way more often than I do now. I went from trading too often to not trading at all to still not trading enough, finding that balance is hard and takes time.

A lot of people seem to think that the only thing that matters in HS is a good deck but while the skill cap is relatively low there is still a huge difference between a good and a bad player. I've been playing for months and I think I'm fucking terrible.

gutshot

Started using an online deck helper for Arena. 3 more rounds of Arena.

Another 1-8. I literally have a single-digit win percentage.

No seriously how the fuck do people win in this fucking mode

Just drafting and playing for tempo should get you around 3 wins on average. You either are getting really, really unlucky with your mulligans and match-ups. Or you are drafting too greedily and falling behind on board every game.

My only guess is that the only people who still play Arena are those who are really good at it. All the players average and down have been run off, since its not fun never go higher then 3-3.

If Arena was cheaper, like 50 gold, or they gave out free arena passes from time to time (1 per week, or maybe a random quest reward), it would get a lot more players, and which would make it easier for the average players, who then would be more willing to buy arena passes.
A free weekly pass would be amazing. 50 gold means people would almost never buy packs, though.

Trade more. Then understand when you should stop trading.

It takes practice.
This is a good summary.

luoapp

Just drafting and playing for tempo should get you around 3 wins on average. You either are getting really, really unlucky with your mulligans and match-ups. Or you are drafting too greedily and falling behind on board every game.

Yeah, I think he might draft too heavy. What's a good rule of thumb? I think 10 x 2 and less mana, or 15 x 3 or less.

Apathy

Started using an online deck helper for Arena. 3 more rounds of Arena.

Another 1-8. I literally have a single-digit win percentage.

No seriously how the fuck do people win in this fucking mode

This is really important, right now arena is very heavy on the early drops, 1-3's a few mid games and 2-3 late game cards. You need experience knowing what a good minion is and what a bad one is, and when it's important to trade and when to go face.

I know people keep saying it, but it's true, watching a good arena player for a while really helps. Hafu and kripp both talk about their thought process, and you find out what you can do to get better

Mulgrok

Totem shaman is really doing well for me in constructed. Might be underrated by flavor of the month sites. It probably takes more skill than the control or aggro decks because midrange is screwy like that.

EDIT: it be counter intuitive how it works more on value than tempo. Placement of minions is key as well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, 3 classes still have open Epic slots (Shaman, Druid, Rogue) do you guys think any of them will get Forbidden cards? I'd hope we would get more then 3 card for a new mechanic.

Totem shaman is really doing well for me in constructed. Might be underrated by flavor of the month sites. It probably takes more skill than the control or aggro decks because midrange is screwy like that.

EDIT: it be counter intuitive how it works more on value than tempo. Placement of minions is key as well.
I've just been getting back into Hearthstone after being out since the second Adventure came out, and I've been really looking into making a Totem Shaman deck. I love the art and style of the deck, as well as the buffs it'll get when WotG comes out. Do you have a deck list I could take a look at?

Levi

Banned
So, 3 classes still have open Epic slots (Shaman, Druid, Rogue) do you guys think any of them will get Forbidden cards? I'd hope we would get more then 3 card for a new mechanic.

Give Rogue a forbidden card. I actually want to play Druid and Shaman in Standard so give them actual good cards, please.

I don't think they'll do another forbidden spell. Maybe a forbidden minion?

I think in the spell space there just isn't that much flexibility. We already have one that damages a minion, one that heals a character, and one that summons a minion. What else can they really do that scales well with mana that isn't face damage? Forbidden summon army of 1/1s? Even there you can only summon 7 max. Plus that just seems like a terrible card, although maybe I am wrong.

Forbidden imp army. Summon a 1/1 imp for each mana spent.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forbidden... Weapon buff. Give your weapon +1 attack for each mana spent.

I can't think of a good name.

Combo: Give +1 attack to a random minion for each mana spent

Tarazet

Lost my mind after losing too many brawls as Shaman and made a midrange deck. Promptly went on the longest win streak I've had in months. Every dog has his day.

CFxXJCJ.jpg

Lost my mind after losing too many brawls as Shaman and made a midrange deck. Promptly went on the longest win streak I've had in months. Every dog has his day.

CFxXJCJ.jpg

I like it but I think I would cut scarab for a second hex.

The list I ran last had 1 doomhammer + 1 bloodlust. It was working really well despite my never drawing either doomhammer or bloodlust once in 5 games.

Acerac

Banned

The list I ran last had 1 doomhammer + 1 bloodlust. It was working really well despite my never drawing either doomhammer or bloodlust once in 5 games.

Dunno, 2 hexes in the current meta? Hardly seems like it'd be be used, while the scarab seems solid for answers as they're needed.

Hell, I've pulled my fair share of hexes from scarabs.

Tarazet

I was originally running the second Hex. Switched to Scarab because I had a decent chance of getting Hex when I needed it, but I could also get Elemental Destruction, Imp Master, a third Lightning Storm, and all sorts of other stuff that is great for this deck.

Pooya

Forbidden... Weapon buff. Give your weapon +1 attack for each mana spent.

I can't think of a good name.

Combo: Give +1 attack to a random minion for each mana spent

Forbidden poison?

They are not going to make forbidden cards for rogue because you can play something after it with prep. That card is extremely broken.

I don't think they'll do another forbidden spell. Maybe a forbidden minion?

I think in the spell space there just isn't that much flexibility. We already have one that damages a minion, one that heals a character, and one that summons a minion. What else can they really do that scales well with mana that isn't face damage? Forbidden summon army of 1/1s? Even there you can only summon 7 max. Plus that just seems like a terrible card, although maybe I am wrong.

Forbidden imp army. Summon a 1/1 imp for each mana spent.
Drawing cards. 1 per mana spent...for Warlock, of course...

Dahbomb

Forbidden Buff

Give a minion +1/+1 for each mana spent.

This might be too good but it is at least following the rules.

Forbidden Shards

Deal one damage to a random enemy minion for every mana spent.

This is pretty weak overall but making it do 2 damage would be out of control with more mana spent that's why I made it minion specific so it becomes a better board control tool.

Forbidden Arts

Gain a random spell for the amount of mana you spent. It costs 0 mana.

It's the spell variant for what Priest got with minions. This sounds pretty reasonable to me to be honest.

Forbidden Weapon

Give your weapon +1 attack for each mana spent.

Again this is probably too good.

Forbidden Evolution

Turn a minion into a random minion of the cost equal to the mana spent plus one.

So you can turn a 2 drop into an 8 drop by spending 7 mana on it. Or into a 10 drop by spending 9 mana on it.

Forbidden Destruction

Deal 1 damage for every 2 mana spent to all enemy minions.

If you use up an odd number of mana it will use the lower cost and then give you the remainder. So if you use it on turn 5, it will use up 4 and you will have 1 mana to do what you want.

Forbidden Draws

Draw 1 card for every 2 mana spent.

Same deal as the previous one. Spend 4 mana to get 2 cards.

Tarazet

I've been playing for over a year and I'm still terrible. So don't feel bad.

Over 2 years here and I still struggle to get out of the dumpster ranks. But I've won over 2,000 matches in constructed and have no golden portraits, so I suppose the tradeoff is that I can play pretty much any deck there is.

StayDead

I've been playing for a good number of months now, have decent decks but still can't get above rank 14. I get stuck at rank 17 for ages then randomly go on a winning spree to 15/14 but then I sort of peak.

It can't be my decks, it must be me just not being able to play well since these are decks people get to legendary with.

ViviOggi

Always interesting to see how fast ropers can play all of a sudden if you only counter-rope once

It's usually Paladins for me, surprising no one

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Remember that we are talking about a card game here. RNG is inherently built into the game by the necessity of the card drawing process. If you want zero RNG in this game, uninstall the game now because that is literally impossible.

RNG also adds a ton to this game. We've heard Blizzard talk about "player stories". We watch all the Trolden videos (whether you want to admit it or not). Almost always the best moments about this game that you remember were the byproduct of some amount of RNG.

Yep. Not only is removing all RNG impossible, it's terrible design.

Dahbomb

Not impossible but not practical either (outside of the going first coin flip which exists even in sports).

You could make a different TCG where you have 20 card decks and you can use all of them at one time. It wouldn't be interesting or fun but it can still be done.

Owzers

i'm up to 1010 after spending all my gold on classic packs when i had 2800. I'm still debating on the 50 pack pre-order special since i bought a $50 itunes cad for $40.

Are you guys going to do a pre-order or just buy with gold?

bunbun777

i'm up to 1010 after spending all my gold on classic packs when i had 2800. I'm still debating on the 50 pack pre-order special since i bought a $50 itunes cad for $40.

Both of course. Got almost 6k gold saved up but wanted the 'deal' with card back.

I pre-ordered. It's pretty much the best deal they offer for buying packs and it allows me to only spend money on this game a couple times a year.

5400 gold and like 10,000 dust not including dusting my single copies of any gold cards.

That's good enough for me. I'll buy a few packs maybe when the new set launches but mainly will just do Arena like usual.

Eddie Bax

Ugh, pretty close to full health, Druid had one minion on board. FoN -> Innervate -> Innervate -> SR -> SR and I'm dead. Fun and interactive.

Both. Paid for the pre-order this week. Hoping to have around 4K gold by expansion time. Probably only spend half that gold though, nice to have a cushion for some arenas or getting some dust if there's an epic I need for a cool concede deck.

Not sure on dust. Have 1000 in the bank but I like playing Zoo and Gormok is in a lot of lists these days. Have not dusted any cards for awhile in case of nerfs, and I have a bunch of gold GvG cards I might dust, since I'll only really need them for adventures and Tavern Brawls. I collect the gold cards that give you more gold cards, so stuff like Unstable Portal and the Shredders mainly.

Top Bottom