• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can you even Pyroblast your own face? I know we keep joking about it, but I don't know if you can.

Yes. Yogg can target any spell on any valid target, and your face is a valid target for Pyroblast. A blizzard dev said it had happened 4 times to the dev team.

Yes. Yogg can target any spell on any valid target, and your face is a valid target for Pyroblast. A blizzard dev said it had happened 4 times to the dev team.
That's pretty good news since they've probably run it like a billion times and 10 damage to your own face isn't the end of the world all of the time.

Dahbomb

Can you even Pyroblast your own face? I know we keep joking about it, but I don't know if you can.

Also, it would be interesting if Hearthstone had a mode where you had your entire deck available to you for play. No drawing, just playing anything you have in the deck that you can afford with your mana. I wonder what the meta would be like.
They had a Brawl a while ago that forced drew a card in your deck at that mana cost turn.

So on turn 1 you always drew a 1 cost card, on turn 2 you always drew a 2 cost card and so on.

Secret Paladin was the best and most broken deck in this because they could guarantee not top decking dead Secrets and always guarantee a perfect curve. It would usually be a secret turn 1 then the standard curve even going all the way upto 9 mana where they could get Rafaam if they wanted.

That's pretty much how your idea would play out though in reality it would greatly benefit combo decks. As in they would be broken if it weren't for stuff like Secret Paladin ending games before the combo can be completed.

That simulation has 9 targets on the board. So of course the results are going to be fairly middling. I did get some good ones though, like brawl, I win brawl, and buffs hit the remaining guy. Lay on hands in one instance, plus shiv, and blood warriors, and feral spirits was a great one. I got 6 cards from that and even beneath the grounds.

They had a Brawl a while ago that forced drew a card in your deck at that mana cost turn.

So on turn 1 you always drew a 1 cost card, on turn 2 you always drew a 2 cost card and so on.

Secret Paladin was the best and most broken deck in this because they could guarantee not top decking dead Secrets and always guarantee a perfect curve. It would usually be a secret turn 1 then the standard curve even going all the way upto 9 mana where they could get Rafaam if they wanted.

That's pretty much how your idea would play out though in reality it would greatly benefit combo decks. As in they would be broken if it weren't for stuff like Secret Paladin ending games before the combo can be completed.

I seem to recall there were some fairly strong decks besides secret paladin. And 0 mana cards ended up being the best.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

In that same brawl you could have also reliably run a bunch of 0 mana minions. When I built my secret paladin deck for that brawl I basically mulliganed aggressively for 0 mana cards and 1 mana cards that weren't secrets. Having wisps and target dummies gave me a leg up over the other secret paladin decks that didn't. From then on it was minibot, muster, shredder, belcher, WHO AM I?, boom, tirion, ysera, deathwing

The interesting thing about Yogg simulations is that most of the time it doesn't even impact the game as much as you'd think it would. It does some damage, draws some cards, plays a secret or two, not much else. It's almost always a positive that's hard for your opponent to deal with though(random secrets are extremely scary as there's no logic behind them).

Dahbomb

Yeah 0 drops were really really good in that Brawl of you got them in your opening hand.

So was Fel Reaver because people weren't running tech cards like BGH. Also Astral Communion and Demonfuse saw quite a bit of play because their weaknesses didn't matter much in this Brawl.

https://youtu.be/0Y3NWHrlLvI

My Astral Communion deck was Zombie Chow, one Doomsayer, a good 3 drop, one Astral Communion and then a bunch of Legendaries, Ancient of Lore etc.

ZealousD

They can print a 0/2 spell damage 0 mana minion.

It might actually be usable.

Yeah the Shaman totems are basically 0 mana minions. Healing Totem would be awful as a 0 mana card but spell damage totem is arguably the best one. And you could use a 0 mana spell damage card in some kind of OTK deck or something.

They can print a 0/2 spell damage 0 mana minion.

It might actually be usable.
I feel like would need to be a 0/1 though. Then again I don't know the exact values of how much each stat is worth.

I also wonder if a 0 cost Spell Power Minion would to be too strong. Just gives that extra bit of reach on how spells are balanced now. However, I never thought about opportunity cost (if that's the right term) of having a dead card you can't use for most of the game.

Really good for spell combo decks though.

Yeah the Shaman totems are basically 0 mana minions. Healing Totem would be awful as a 0 mana card but spell damage totem is arguably the best one. And you could use a 0 mana spell damage card in some kind of OTK deck or something.

Like freeze mage? card would be busted even before warriors start copying them.

Kettch

Freeze mage would be stupid with that. It would at least have to be a legendary, two of them would add way too much damage.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How do Combo spells work if Yogg casts them? Combo or not?

If Yogg is the first card played that turn, they don't combo. If you somehow played a card before Yogg, they will have the combo effect.

My guess is that until the battle cry finishes, Yogg doesn't count as "Played" for the purpose of a Combo, and none of the spells Yogg fires off count as cards played.

ZealousD

I am absolutely certain that a good game does not RNG for "spice" purposes, and any quality game minimizes or removes such elements while retaining its high entertainment factor.

Remember that we are talking about a card game here. RNG is inherently built into the game by the necessity of the card drawing process. If you want zero RNG in this game, uninstall the game now because that is literally impossible.

RNG also adds a ton to this game. We've heard Blizzard talk about "player stories". We watch all the Trolden videos (whether you want to admit it or not). Almost always the best moments about this game that you remember were the byproduct of some amount of RNG.

So Brann probably becomes a staple in Shaman come WOG I have to imagine.

Jeweled Scarab, Tuskarr Totemic, Master of Evolution, Fire Elemental just to name a few. Maybe it's time to actually give Rumbling Elemental some serious consideration, even if it's just as a one of.

Dahbomb

I actually think Healing Totem would be good as a 0 mana minion for neutral provided it also gets a tribal tag like Target Dummy or Tinyfin has. Priests could use this with Cleric to get additional draws, Zoos can use it to keep their minions out of damage range, Grim Patron could heal their damaged patrons.

There are times where Healing Totem wins Shaman the game especially in Arena. It can get obscene value for a 0 cost card.

Remember that we are talking about a card game here. RNG is inherently built into the game by the necessity of the card drawing process. If you want zero RNG in this game, uninstall the game now because that is literally impossible.

RNG also adds a ton to this game. We've heard Blizzard talk about "player stories". We watch all the Trolden videos (whether you want to admit it or not). Almost always the best moments about this game that you remember were the byproduct of some amount of RNG.
A card game inherently involves RNG, but there are ways to minimize it. Like I mentioned before, Duelyst lets you cycle one card per turn, which is amazing for reducing your level of screwed-ness due to RNG. Did you get a 1-drop on turn 8? Cycle it out and try to get something better.

My issue with Hearthstone is that the developers relish RNG mechanics that make the game less enjoyable. Warlock players released a collective groan when Spread of Madness was revealed. There's a reason Mad Bomber and Madder Bomber don't see play outside of Arena.

Edit: One of the great advancements Hearthstone has made over MtG is the gem system. Not having to worry that you will be flooded or starved for mana makes the game significantly more enjoyable. More thinking like that will move Hearthstone forward, not more RNGunk.

So Brann probably becomes a staple in Shaman come WOG I have to imagine.

Jeweled Scarab, Tuskarr Totemic, Master of Evolution, Fire Elemental just to name a few. Maybe it's time to actually give Rumbling Elemental some serious consideration, even if it's just as a one of.
IIRC, someone said that Brann won't make Master of Evolution proc twice.

manhack

A card game inherently involves RNG, but there are ways to minimize it. Like I mentioned before, Duelyst lets you cycle one card per turn, which is amazing for reducing your level of screwed-ness due to RNG. Did you get a 1-drop on turn 8? Cycle it out and try to get something better.

My issue with Hearthstone is that the developers relish RNG mechanics that make the game less enjoyable. Warlock players released a collective groan when Spread of Madness was revealed. There's a reason Mad Bomber and Madder Bomber don't see play outside of Arena.

RNG is typically at its worst when the outcome decides the game by itself, but even the least complained about RNG cards have the ability to decide a game based on the outcome alone.

The more I play the game, the more I try not to get to caught up over the individual outcomes from RNG cards and look for an overall pattern. As long as I'm climbing the ladder at a decent rate or keeping my winrate over 50% with a certain deck, then I feel like all is right in the world.

But it is amazing how I can be at 60-65% win rate with deck and on a win streak and get wrecked by a 4 rolling on implosion or a 2 rolling on my implosion or Mind Control Tech stealing my Dr. Boom when there are 6 other minions on the board. etc. etc.

Yeah, I believe we had someone tweet from Hearthstone Tweet about that. My understanding was that it technically 'works,', it's just that the original target for Master of Evolution doesn't exist anymore for the second round of the Battlecry.

I don't remember for sure though, but that sounds right to me.

Yeah, I believe we had someone tweet from Hearthstone Tweet about that. My understanding was that it technically 'works,', it's just that the original target for Master of Evolution doesn't exist anymore for the second round of the Battlecry.

I don't remember for sure though, but that sounds right to me.
Yeah, that's it. Thank you for clarifying.

RNG is typically at its worst when the outcome decides the game by itself, but even the least complained about RNG cards have the ability to decide a game based on the outcome alone.

The more I play the game, the more I try not to get to caught up over the individual outcomes from RNG cards and look for an overall pattern. As long as I'm climbing the ladder at a decent rate or keeping my winrate over 50% with a certain deck, then I feel like all is right in the world.

But it is amazing how I can be at 60-65% win rate with deck and on a win streak and get wrecked by a 4 rolling on implosion or a 2 rolling on my implosion or Mind Control Tech stealing my Dr. Boom when there are 6 other minions on the board. etc. etc.
I think it's manageable when you know the deck you are playing against. I play around MCT if my opponent is Reno Lock or Druid, but if a Control Warrior drops it, I can feel pretty salty.

ZealousD

Dart

Speaking of Deathlord, so this happened...

CfpVWwsVAAAWKiL.jpg:large

PW:p --> Deathlord to Paletress + Coin = Ragnaros on Turn 3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had a midrange pally vs control priest match that really showed how nasty Pally cards can be. Turned a velened/PW:S 5/11 Elise into a 3/3 with Keeper. Later he Cabal's a minibot ontop of having a Cairne from Curator--Eadric it all.

In the late game he played Monkey and another Cairne while I swarmed the board with Justicar's hero power into a full board to quartermaster. He has disgusting RNG and had fucking Deathwing despite having two cards...and I just Aldor it into uselessness. Well met.

Started using an online deck helper for Arena. 3 more rounds of Arena.

Another 1-8. I literally have a single-digit win percentage.

No seriously how the fuck do people win in this fucking mode

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

My only guess is that the only people who still play Arena are those who are really good at it. All the players average and down have been run off, since its not fun never go higher then 3-3.

If Arena was cheaper, like 50 gold, or they gave out free arena passes from time to time (1 per week, or maybe a random quest reward), it would get a lot more players, and which would make it easier for the average players, who then would be more willing to buy arena passes.

Owzers

i'm waiting for the next expansion before playing Arena again, i don't want GvG packs as a reward and i want the new set's cards to have a better chance of drafting to see if that changes what i play against because i'm sick of paladins.

Slashlen

Kripp's video today suggested the same thing. It makes sense, why spend money on Arena if you were getting below a 3 win average when you can save that gold for new packs after the expansion hits.

fertygo

I good enough to win 3-5 game consistently, sometime bad draft and luck happen but as long you curve nicely you can get 3 win

Watch some streamer like Hafu or Kripp, Kripp can be annoying with his whining but his schedule is more consistent to follow, his play also decent enough to follow.. you pick one-two thing from them

luoapp

What classes did you play? Just pick mage or paly should get you more than that.

Dart

I love when you get a big minion and a removal from thoughtsteal, just got Boom and BGH from Druid... You get both the poison and the antidote :)

Speaking of Deathlord, so this happened...

CfpVWwsVAAAWKiL.jpg:large

PW:p --> Deathlord to Paletress + Coin = Ragnaros on Turn 3
Did he concede? Unless I had whirlwind and 2 executes, I probably would've called it quits right then and there. Then again I don't play Warrior all that much, so maybe there's some hope.

fertygo

Did he concede? Unless I had whirlwind and 2 executes, I probably would've called it quits right then and there. Then again I don't play Warrior all that much, so maybe there's some hope.

Brawl can save him I guess lol

Just had a match where Brawl eliminate my Ysera when it just 50-50 with my other minion, match's quickly swing to his favor

Trade more. Then understand when you should stop trading.

It takes practice.

Top Bottom