• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Acerac

Banned
Over the time I've played this game I've used, beaten, and lost to pretty much every deck out there. I just can not muster hatred against any build.

The ladder is more fair than it's ever been, even if it is horribly stale. You can run whatever class you please, and often with a decent amount of options on build. The worst part of it is that you need to have played forever or have paid money to have access to these options, but the fact that the variety exists makes it hard to get angry at any given deck.

I'm playing a tempo mage even though I fucking hate it, I'm forgiving myself because I literally do not have the resources to play the decks I want to play.

Like I'd rather be playing my shitty Paladin or Bolster Warrior decks.

Yea hoping when old gods comes out I can get into it proper. I'm mig back to the game after a year+ it's hard to catch up.

Acerac

Banned
Yea hoping when old gods comes out I can get into it proper. I'm mig back to the game after a year+ it's hard to catch up.

You're likely not the only one, hence the idea of giving everyone a free C'Thun to get going with.

It's nice to give newer or lapsed players that strong control option.

So these will be the card votes next week:

Since they have all been class cards so far, a few of them should be for Rogue and Mage.

Almost a certainty that Kibler will win the first vote.

But yeah, just throwing out a random guess for what class they'll be.

Mage
Druid (legendary?)
Rogue
Neutral
Neutral or Warlock

Dahbomb

I completely disagree. Zero respect for Renolock, and if they give me any kind of way to kill the Reno proc, I will do so consistently.
Renolock takes less skill to play than Druid?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL!

There's already a way to kill the Reno proc, it's called Beneath the Grounds. You can play that Rogue deck if you want.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The only time I've ever been like "OMG RENO" was when I was playing some braindead face deck like Aggro Shaman. And that has more to do with my inherent frustration of playing the deck itself. I can't name a single meta deck I hate playing more than Aggro Shaman, and it has nothing to do with feeling bad about myself for doing so.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only time I got upset at reno is when a mage played it 4 times. And in reality I was just upset at my self, if I just killed it the first time he couldn't echo and later taunt up and duplicate it.

ZealousD

Reno decks get CRUSHED by Raptor Rogue, in the FWIW department. Especially Reno Warrior.

Frenden

Banned
I was at 14,000 dust, but I crafted Malygos and the last few classic cards I didn't have. I have around 9,000 dust left and nearly full sets of all expansions after.

I didn't think I'd ever touch Wild after Standard hits, but some of the new cards make me think Wild could be a beautifully fun mess of a clusterfuck of a diversion in a couple more expansions.

ViviOggi

14k dust is where I'm at according to the auto-duster, with a lot of uncounted emergency dust in form of shitty golden collectable/non-golden adventure cards if needed. Also finally pulled another plain Jaraxxus today after many, many 40 dust packs.

Just hovering around 1k gold though due to how much of a Paladin-infested mess arena has become. I've barely been breaking even w/dailies in the second half of LoE when I've easily managed to stay true infinite in any expansion since classic. Despite that arena is still the only mode I can justify spending more than the bare minimum amount of time in.

patron warrior is something I want to try

Yea I'm excited for this new set.
Patron Warrior is the most fun I've had playing this game, but it isn't as much fun as a Dreadsteed deck would be...

Renolock takes less skill to play than Druid?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL!

There's already a way to kill the Reno proc, it's called Beneath the Grounds. You can play that Rogue deck if you want.
They're both bottom of the skill barrel! :-D

After playing so much Songhai in Duelyst, I really want to play a Rogue deck, but it requires so many epics I don't have. :-( Preparation being #1.

My three favorite decks to pilot. :p

If it's not going to fatigue, I'm not having any fun.
I can't even understand this mindset.

ViviOggi

Mate you just can't talk about the skill required to pilot a deck well when you haven't spent time with it yourself, be it out of spite or simply due lack of cards.

Frenden

Banned
14k dust is where I'm at according to the auto-duster, with a lot of uncounted emergency dust in form of shitty golden collectable/non-golden adventure cards if needed. Also finally pulled another plain Jaraxxus today after many, many 40 dust packs.

Just hovering around 1k gold though due to how much of a Paladin-infested mess arena has become. I've barely been breaking even w/dailies in the second half of LoE when I've easily managed to stay true infinite in any expansion since classic. Despite that arena is still the only mode I can justify spending more than the bare minimum amount of time in.

Yeah--I barely play at the moment. The expansion and nerfs can't hit soon enough.

Sheroking

Control Priest, Reno Lock and my own Dragon Paladin are the only decks I play on ladder right now unless I have a quest and don't want to play Brawl. I sometimes throw together an original midrange Mage deck because I think that's the most fun class in the game for me and I want to play those cards.

ViviOggi

I guess I can't say Secret Paladin is easy then, right? lol
I mean you can and you'd obviously be right in this case, but your opinion is still worth less than the one of a player who has spent time with every relevant deck. Secredin is also the most pedestrian, binary and decision-free deck in the game so there aren't many hidden intricacies you'd have to figure out by yourself.

Apart from that it's just a matter of perspective, when you only play Hunter or Neo-Patron or whatever and get rekt by your worst matchups - complex control decks - yeah it looks like an easy game for them, but even there you don't know their mulligans, combos they built towards, key cards they held onto to maximize value so you run out of gas, unintuitive trades they made according to the matchup and a lot more. And piloting those decks against even or unfavored matchups is another thing entirely.

Yeah--I barely play at the moment. The expansion and nerfs can't hit soon enough.
Preach

Sande

I guess I can't say Secret Paladin is easy then, right? lol
It's not a blanket statement for any and all decks. Secret paladin is a very different kind of deck. Bad bots take it to legend no problem ffs. If you think Renolock is in the same ballpark in terms of autopilot, then you really have no clue.

I have way more fun playing dumb concede decks these days. Part of me really wants to do a hardcore ladder climb but I think I'd go insane after a few days. I've been playing since beta but never made a serious attempt.

I still do okay. I lose to Hunters a lot but otherwise my stats aren't so bad. Control Priest as well. Feel like I always lack answers to Deathlords, and when I do kill one easily I lose something I need (the last two I killed both pulled my Justicar). Almost makes me watch to tech in Black Knight but it comes out way too late to matter. By that point they may have Velen's it twice and the game's over.

I mean you can and you'd obviously be right in this case, but your opinion is still worth less than the one of a player who has spent time with every relevant deck. Secredin is also the most pedestrian, binary and decision-free deck in the game so there aren't many hidden intricacies you'd have to figure out by yourself.

Apart from that it's just a matter of perspective, when you only play Hunter or Neo-Patron or whatever and get rekt by your worst matchups - complex control decks - yeah it looks like an easy game for them, but even there you don't know their mulligans, combos they built towards, key cards they held onto to maximize value so you run out of gas, unintuitive trades they made according to the matchup and a lot more. And piloting those decks against even or unfavored matchups is another thing entirely.

Preach
Come on, "complex" control decks? I don't think anything in this game is complex.

It's not a blanket statement for any and all decks. Secret paladin is a very different kind of deck. Bad bots take it to legend no problem ffs. If you think Renolock is in the same ballpark in terms of autopilot, then you really have no clue.
But how can I know if I haven't played either? ;-) That's the point.

I have 95 gold. I spend it on classic the second I get 100. Am I doing something wrong?
Not if you're new, classic has by far the highest amount of (core) cards so you should be getting those card packs until you have most of them(except legendaries). I'm still getting classic cards like 4 months in and 4/5 cards are still non duplicates. I am finally reaching that point where most packs don't give me anything new or interesting though.

It's all epics and legendaries I have to get still, epics are the biggest issue, I'll craft the important legendaries myself eventually.

I have 95 gold. I spend it on classic the second I get 100. Am I doing something wrong?

If you're new, probably not. Diminishing returns kick in after a certain amount of packs though. Eventually you're just buying 40 dust for every 100 gold. Or money of course. Not that I'd know anything about that....

I still remember buying 55 packs after a shit week at work and getting one Legendary. At least it was Antonidas I guess.

This control warrior... basically lost to himself playing against my control paladin deck.

This guy just doesn't get it. He was 5 draws ahead of me at one point and then ended up hitting fatigue 8 total turns before me... because what does he do? He kills tirion and uses harrison jones immediately for 3 card draws. I had truesilver champion up for 4 turns hoping he'd use harrison jones. He ended up giving me more harrison jones value by destroying a 3 attack weapon instead of 2.

He got his golden monkey but so what... he was going to fatigue out before it mattered.

I didn't even need to use rafaam's 10 mana spell to win. He just lost the game to himself. I was just watching him crash and burn.

fertygo

I think the thing that I hate about Reno deck is how fucking stacked they're, rich guy deck.. so many legendary and epic you must dealing with if they can stay on curve, but of course in many times they couldn't its the cons of the deck, its how I usually can win against them

When I lose tho, its salt inducing looking to how stacked the deck is than the Reno usage.

Btw its easy to guess Reno deck with deck tracker

Bento

Come on, "complex" control decks? I don't think anything in this game is complex.
Not that anyone besides me and a few other idiots play it but Malygos Shaman can be pretty damn intense in terms of juggling shit in your head and making tough decisions;

It's a combo deck that requires quite a few cards aside from the combo enablers to burst your opponent down while being choked by the overload mechanic.
Next to no minion presence meaning you have to use combo pieces to board control while being pummeled by the overload mechanic.
The usual control stuff like using your board clears in the best possible way which both have a overload cost attached to them :p

Will probably give Malygos Rogue a shot now that Ancestral's Call is going away in Standard.

You don't "know". You guessed and you got it correct.

"Knowledge" requires experience.
I have experience.

No. But most people here have been playing for a while and have all the Classic cards.

Not that anyone besides me and a few other idiots play it but Malygos Shaman can be pretty damn intense in terms of juggling shit in your head. It's a combo deck that requires quite a few cards aside from the combo enablers as well having to deal with overload, next to no minion presence meaning you have to use combo pieces to board control on top of the usual control stuff like using your board clears in the best possible way.

Will probably give Malygos Rogue a shot now that Ancestral's Call is going away in Standard.
Malygos Shaman is a deck I really want to make. What makes it complicated?

ZealousD

I think the thing that I hate about Reno deck is how fucking stacked they're, rich guy deck.. so many legendary and epic you must dealing with if they can stay on curve, but of course in many times they couldn't its the cons of the deck, its how I usually can win against them

Renolock isn't nearly as stacked as something like Control Warrior, and most of the legendaries are out of the adventure sets. Most lists only run like 2 or 3 collectible legendaries and maybe only 2-3 epic minions at most.

I have experience.

Not enough of it to really know, seeing as you haven't played the deck.

fertygo

Renolock isn't nearly as stacked as something like Control Warrior, and most of the legendaries are out of the adventure sets. Most lists only run like 2 or 3 collectible legendaries and maybe only 2-3 epic minions at most.

That's like 6000 dust already yo

Btw note I not specifically mention about Reno Lock Reno Warrior also a thing with more expensive addition like Iron Juggernaut and Ysera

In either way its definitely one the most expensive archetype even to try, even the Adventure set itself isn't cheap

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The thing with renolock is you can kinda choose on how heavy/expensive to make it since there's just a pile of single copies. So it's potentially easier to build than traditional handlock if you only have, say, one molten giant instead of double molten double mountain.

Frenden

Banned
Yeah... I don't get the moaning about people with good cards. Play enough to dust enough to craft enough or put some money in. It's not an expensive game.

Dahbomb

I have played Malygos Shaman a ton.

First of all complexity in this game is all relative. This is by far among the easiest competitive multiplayer games out there. Even the most complex decks in this game aren't really all that complex especially compared to other TCGs. So when comparing decks were are saying one deck is complex than the other... not that one deck requires a PhD to pilot and another deck a toddler can pilot (except Secret Paladin, I am pretty sure I can have my nephew pilot that to rank 5 at least).

Secondly, you really do need experience with all decks playing against a wide array of match ups in various different meta to know who stuff stacks up. Stuff does not play out like you may think it does. Until you are in the hot seat and have gone through countless high pressure situations with those decks, then it's hard to talk about them.

Back to the topic of Malygos Shaman. It's hard to play as much as it's hard to play Freeze Mage with the additional complexity of managing overload crystals. You also can't rely on Ice Blocks to set up two turns lethals, Shaman has no such safety net. Where as with Freeze Mage most of its board clear tools aren't used to burn with... Shaman has very limited board control tools and thus has to use its burn spells to clear out minions a lot of the time. You don't have a pseudo infinite supply of Fireballs you can conjure up with Antonidas.

It's really just a weaker Freeze Mage deck at the end of the day. Loses to the same stuff plus more.

fertygo

^ reno is week 1 so 700g

Reno alone is affordable, to build his deck is not

You think can put him on whereever if your library not on snuff yet?, yeah no
Yeah... I don't get the moaning about people with good cards. Play enough to dust enough to craft enough or put some money in. It's not an expensive game.

Just put 60$ on the game, library still suck.. not complaining tho, its how it is.. its will be many grinding to overcome

Ran into a freeze mage that used all his burn on my minions, ending up with no win condition. To be fair he did concede with like 26 health left but he was a bit too cautious lol, he was like 8 cards ahead on fatigue too.

Every time he killed my minions I just threw more at him lol.

Bento

Malygos Shaman is a deck I really want to make. What makes it complicated?
- You have the usual combo stuff of keeping track of damage in hand (combo and non-combo) and deck. Knowing when to play your Emperor Thaurissan.

- Since you have next to no minions to fall back in case combo fails you have to be very careful not to waste your win condition fighting off aggro.

- Overload has a considerable impact in the way you think out your turns, "obvious" plays might have to be reconsidered due to limiting your following turn too much.

- Making sure to the best of your ability that your hand is rid of minions by the time you need to pull off your combo. This limits how many and what minion cards you can have in your deck (so does Healing wave).

- Since your combo requires Ancestral's Call + multiple spell you often have to plan out your mana and overload usage in advance. This is especially true if you haven't managed to get spells like Lava Burst discounted.

- Playing around Loatheb and Mage secrets :/

Some of the things I could come to think off right now. Not saying this is rocket science but there's defintely more to it than say Combo Druid :p

Dahbomb

My feeling when I finally completed the Wallet Warrior deck after playing the game for two years:

biDFHU0.gif

Tarazet

The only time I've ever been like "OMG RENO" was when I was playing some braindead face deck like Aggro Shaman. And that has more to do with my inherent frustration of playing the deck itself. I can't name a single meta deck I hate playing more than Aggro Shaman, and it has nothing to do with feeling bad about myself for doing so.

I can beat Reno decks with Aggro Shaman all day long. It's not like that old Reynad Warrior rush deck where if you heard Taz'Dingo! you just conceded immediately.

Moonlight

Banned
Thinking of dusting most of my Secret Paladin deck when the season ends. I'll keep around Tirion, and... yeah. Maybe just Tirion. Just really tiresome to play at this point, and I'm actually pretty excited to try Midrange/Control Shaman. And maybe Control Mage, if Old Gods adds some cool stuff for it, though I'm always running a tight dust budget.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can beat Reno decks with Aggro Shaman all day long. It's not like that old Reynad Warrior rush deck where if you heard Taz'Dingo! you just conceded immediately.

Aggro Shaman is better against it than something like face hunter that should just conceded immediately, but it can depend if they have certain cards like ooze. That realllllly fucks the shaman.

Druid is basically unwinnable though. Which is a shame, since it's to me it's the most fun deck to play otherwise, but that deck is too common.

Top Bottom