• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

When you guys are saying Duelyst is a better game you're not talking about entertainment value, right?
No, we're talking about superior strategic elements and deeper gameplay, and the game isn't even releasing until later this month. They already have two expansions worth of content set up. It's also way easier to expand your card collection because the daily quests you get are Play X games, not Win X games, which can be infuriating if you're a Hearthstone noob.

When I do my dailies for both games, I play Hearthstone on the side while trying to focus on Duelyst.

In terms of snazzy graphics and effects, Hearthstone is unbeatable though, no doubt.

Pooya

Duelyst game rules makes it a far better competitive game. For example you can replace a card every turn, in HS you don't get a playable hand you're dead. The board itself is more interesting with positioning and things like that. The game is really fun but the art style is a mixed bag of good pixel art with backgrounds that don't match, no game has production values of HS really. Animations and sound effects are a big part of this game's success. Oh, and their client is a huge mess, the game eats up a lot of RAM too for what it is, if you want to play it on some ultrabook or tablet, don't bother.

I tried Spellweaver recently, it's a LOT better than Magic Origins lol. It's a Magic clone with some HS mixed in and their client looks like something from early 2000s shareware software but still manages to be better than Magic Origins client lol. Really cool art too. I like playing that game here and there.

bjaelke

I see the potential, but I wasn't having fun playing it. Felt more like a chore to me (HS has become the same while waiting for Old Gods). Might just have to give it another try after seeing some of you promote it in the Hearthstone Clone thread.

Duelyst game rules makes it a far better competitive game. For example you can replace a card every turn, in HS you don't get a playable hand you're dead. The board itself is more interesting with positioning and things like that. The game is really fun but the art style is a mixed bag of good pixel art with backgrounds that don't match, no game has production values of HS really. Animations and sound effects are a big part of this game's success. Oh, and their client is a huge mess, the game eats up a lot of RAM too for what it is, if you want to play it on some ultrabook or tablet, don't bother.

I tried Spellweaver recently, it's a LOT better than Magic Origins lol. It's a Magic clone with some HS mixed in and their client looks like something from early 2000s shareware software but still manages to be better than Magic Origins client lol. Really cool art too. I like playing that game here and there.
lol, I don't disagree on the client issues. I adore the fact that they release 4 new cards every month, so the meta is constantly shifting. I looked at Spellweaver, and the art is damn good. Better than Hearthstone sometimes, and that is a real compliment. I just can't stand that odd-angled view of the board Spellweaver and Magic Origins use. What an odd decision. Hearthstone does it right with the bird's eye view.

I see the potential, but I wasn't having fun playing it. Felt more like a chore to me (HS has become the same while waiting for Old Gods). Might just have to give it another try after seeing some of you promote it in the Hearthstone Clone thread.
Everyone has different tastes. Personally, I claim Final Fantasy Tactics as one of my favorite RPGs ever, and I wish it had a versus mode. Duelyst is kind of like a card-based competitive Tactics title to me, so it scratches a deep and old itch. I'm also an old Warhammer 40k player, so there's that.

Man I can't wait for standard/Old Gods to shake things up. Really not feeling it right now with any deck, and I don't want to spend any dust/buy any packs for a slight edge with the few things I'm missing when it's all gonna be crazy town in about a month.

Maximo

Man this guy Kripp's facing is the most obvious sniper I've seen yet. Backstabs a 1/1 to proc duplicate, throws his 2/1 at a 1/1 zo Kripp can't kill his 5 health minion with Kraken, it's so common but these people disgust me.

You can whine about streamers complaining about snipers but I'd be suspicious as hell every match too when this bullshit happens so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BduQyFLCuzQ

This dude Snipped him for a couple of months, ended up asking Blizzard if there was anything he could do.

Dahbomb

When you guys are saying Duelyst is a better game you're not talking about entertainment value, right?
Entertainment value is subjective but Duelyst has an additional layer of depth over HS and contains far less RNG elements in it. That alone would make it a superior competitive game. That said the game has a lot of the same issues as HS. Silence is still very strong, aggro/tempo game play crushes everything else (so don't go into it expecting a different meta from current HS), board clears are stingy, heals are a struggle... the balance is not there yet despite having less classes and less cards to worry about. I mean yeah it's in beta but the game just went through a big balance change recently... it seems like it's a few big balance patches away from being something that actually reaches its own potential.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't know if watching Reynad is depressing or hilarious

Probably some combination of both

It's schadenfreude at first but I've started to come around to the idea that he knows his salt is what is attracting the viewers and so he deliberately plays it up as much as possible.

georly

Trump is getting the shade card, right?
ojFEuvh.jpg

Will it be a riff on shade of naxxramas or ancient shade? Or will it be a spell? Or will it be an entirely new shade?
27245.png
7730.png

It looks so close to ancient shade. Maybe it'll do a mukla, where it gives your opponent the 7 damage card and is overcosted, like 6+ mana?

Apathy

Trump is getting the shade card, right?
ojFEuvh.jpg

Will it be a riff on shade of naxxramas or ancient shade? Or will it be a spell? Or will it be an entirely new shade?
27245.png
7730.png

It looks so close to ancient shade. Maybe it'll do a mukla, where it gives your opponent the 7 damage card and is overcosted, like 6+ mana?

Amaz gets the shade I believe

rickyson1

duelyst seems like a nice enough game but it'll never be anywhere remotely near as popular as hearthstone for a few reasons(aside from the name recognition of blizzard which is a reason in and of itself I guess)

hearthstones simplicity and presentation makes it a lot easier to get into,hearthstones simplicity and presentation makes it a lot more watchable(i've never played much past the tutorials granted but I tried watching duelyst on twitch a couple times and had a really hard time getting into it,probably one of the reasons like noone even streams it usually)

and as much as people grumble about it I think deep down most people want the RNG of hearthstone

sibarraz

Banned
I played duelyst last month, even though it was an interesting game I couldn't get hooked to it, From the artworks to the UI and the same hearthstone experience that a noob has where even at the lowest rank you are matched against guys with cards that are much better than yours. Plus the tutorial wasn't that exciting for me.

At times I think that I play hearthstone because I already made a big investment on it, I think that playing the game seriously only 2 months after a new expansion/adventure will make the game more fresh and entertaining for me, this last 2-3 months had been a real drag.

Levi

Banned
As far as competing card games, yeah, I'm kind of all in on Hearthstone. I have at least one of every epic and I'm only missing 14 or so legendaries. I'm hoping the standard meta slows down a lot, or that the Wild Meta is favorable to extreme fatigue decks.

I wonder if we'll really get more distinct metagames to choose from. Right now arguably we have the arena meta, the rank 20-5 meta, the 5-legend meta, and the legend meta, so 4 kind of distinct metas. Is that gonna jump to 7? How different is wild going to be, really.

I'm hoping really different, so in a couple months when Standard gets "solved" and becomes boring again, I can jump to wild and get a different experience.

Pooya

We should be getting dogs teacup today right?

yeah, and I think it's going to be a rogue spell. It's about time we see a rogue spell and that Dog mains rogue so they might have picked a rogue card for him like how sjow/lifecoach got a warrior card or kibler is showing a dragon.

Entertainment value is subjective but Duelyst has an additional layer of depth over HS and contains far less RNG elements in it. That alone would make it a superior competitive game. That said the game has a lot of the same issues as HS. Silence is still very strong, aggro/tempo game play crushes everything else (so don't go into it expecting a different meta from current HS), board clears are stingy, heals are a struggle... the balance is not there yet despite having less classes and less cards to worry about. I mean yeah it's in beta but the game just went through a big balance change recently... it seems like it's a few big balance patches away from being something that actually reaches its own potential.
I don't think it needs board clears.

If you leave your front door unlocked, you deserve to be robbed.
"Deserve" is not a concept I touched on.

I played duelyst last month, even though it was an interesting game I couldn't get hooked to it, From the artworks to the UI and the same hearthstone experience that a noob has where even at the lowest rank you are matched against guys with cards that are much better than yours. Plus the tutorial wasn't that exciting for me.

At times I think that I play hearthstone because I already made a big investment on it, I think that playing the game seriously only 2 months after a new expansion/adventure will make the game more fresh and entertaining for me, this last 2-3 months had been a real drag.
I disagree on its accessibility in terms of deck strength. I have played a week of Duelyst, and I am already rank 10. Also, you CANNOT drop brackets in this game, which is amazing.

Finally tried Arena yesterday.

First run, got a crummy deck and went 1-3.

Next run, got a slightly better deck + Shaman that got me 4-3.

Man these streamers make it look so effortless. I need to read up / practice a bit more, cause I can't seem to really do all that great outside of Rogue / Mage / Priest and in Arena I don't really get to pick my preferred deck or class.

I enjoy it though, it's a nice challenge.

IceMarker

Made Rank 5 for the first time in my 2 years playing using Control Priest and Handlock. Feels really damn good man.

6T5JVXO.png
1EOkYs0.png

Rep1eGd.gif

Debating whether or not I should go for Legend, although that may get a tad too grindy for my tastes.

sibarraz

Banned

"Deserve" is not a concept I touched on.

I disagree on its accessibility in terms of deck strength. I have played a week of Duelyst, and I am already rank 10. Also, you CANNOT drop brackets in this game, which is amazing.

Different experiences I guess, maybe the game got better on that aspect

ViviOggi

Finally tried Arena yesterday.

First run, got a crummy deck and went 1-3.

Next run, got a slightly better deck + Shaman that got me 4-3.

Man these streamers make it look so effortless. I need to read up / practice a bit more, cause I can't seem to really do all that great outside of Rogue / Mage / Priest and in Arena I don't really get to pick my preferred deck or class.

I enjoy it though, it's a nice challenge.
Priest is 100% dumpster tier in arena, don't pick that

Made Rank 5 for the first time in my 2 years playing using Control Priest and Handlock. Feels really damn good man.

6T5JVXO.png
1EOkYs0.png

Rep1eGd.gif

Debating whether or not I should go for Legend, although that may get a tad too grindy for my tastes.
I basically want to run this deck with a little more removal, Dreadsteeds, Sacrifical Pact, and the Old God that revives Deathrattles as a closer.

FeD.nL

For some reason this BS right here gets me angry:

Disguised Toast: So the time frame between the league of explorers announcement and of release was only a week and it was really well received by everyone and now everyone is kinda expecting the same thing for this expansion. Even Kripp was talking about how he expects it out within the week. What was the kind of reasoning for announcing it a month and a half in advance?

Yong Woo: One of the things that we really value on our team is that we constantly mix up the way we do things, we never want to be predictable. We don't want to get to a point where it's like OK, they're announcing this day so it's gonna patch on that day and then it's gonna launch specifically on that day and you can just map it all out. So there are pro's and cons of doing it different ways. We really enjoyed the way LOE was launched and how it came out right away. The way we're set up we're really excited about working with members of the community to slowly get that excitement going with the different cards starting from this Friday there's going to be more and more cards released until the launch. and that kind of excitement is really fun too. People get to vote for different streamers and figure out in what order these cards get revealed and get to participate in that, i think there's value in that too, so we're trying that out this time.

Ben Brode: Also, the difference in time between when ALL of the League of Explorers cards became available and the announcement was actually 5 or 6 weeks. Because the last wing was opening 6 weeks later than the announcement. So because of that staged release it actually made a little more sense for the League of Explorers but for an expansion i think it's better to have a little bit more time..

Just be honest and upfront and say that stuff took longer than expected instead of saying that you're trying to be unpredictable...

Dahbomb

Game already has board clears but they are mostly only effective against weenie minions. 2 HP in that game is like 1 HP in this game and while there are many ways to deal 2 damage AOEs... not enough 3 damage and up AOEs.

But the main issue is that the board clears come very late relatively speaking. A lot of damage is already done by the time a good board clear comes into play. It's usually too little too late.

Game has a very weird pacing where the first couple of turns there isn't a lot happening (because players are on opposite ends and it's all just set up) but in the next two turns the game is pretty much decided and then the game ends two turns after that.

But enough Duelyst talk. Time for some card reveals today... I better see some good Warlock minion cards!

Game already has board clears but they are mostly only effective against weenie minions. 2 HP in that game is like 1 HP in this game and while there are many ways to deal 2 damage AOEs... not enough 3 damage and up AOEs.

But the main issue is that the board clears come very late relatively speaking. A lot of damage is already done by the time a good board clear comes into play. It's usually too little too late.

Game has a very weird pacing where the first couple of turns there isn't a lot happening (because players are on opposite ends and it's all just set up) but in the next two turns the game is pretty much decided and then the game ends two turns after that.

But enough Duelyst talk. Time for some card reveals today... I better see some good Warlock minion cards!
Here's an interesting idea for a warlock minion
Corrupted Peddler
2 mana 3/3
Battlecry: Your opponent Discovers a random 1-cost minion

Peléo

Corrupted Peddler
2 mana 3/3

I think it would never see play. Warlocks wouldn´t run 2-mana Vanilla 3/3´s minions. The downside only makes it worse. At 3/4 it starts to get more interesting though. It is similar to Hungry Dragon, but it exchanges the auto-summon ability for flexiblity.

Dahbomb

Corrupted Peddler
2 mana 3/3
That sucks.

2 mana 3/3 isn't even that good if its vanilla. Most of the competitive 2 drops are 2/3 or 3/2 with a competitive ability (so similar to being 3/3). Then you give them a 1 mana card on top of that.

And besides what Warlock needs is a 4 drop to fill that Void Caller/Shredder slot.

Also even Kibler caught the Duelyst hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-0ONGcELo&nohtml5=False

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Corrupted Peddler
2 mana 3/3

"Battlecry: At the start of your opponent's turn, they discover a random 1-cost minion."

The stats aren't good enough though. They would need to be at least 4/4 to be worth it IMO.

yea kibler has been on the duelyst train. I feel like getting into that game and the amt of time it takes to do a match is just too much for me compared to HS

Bliz seems to have a strict rule on "no player input on opponent's turn". Wonder if they will relax it in the future.
It'd completely change the game depending on what cards they implement, we'd be able to have yugioh style trap cards instead of secrets, but they couldn't be as strong as the current secrets.

Dahbomb

yea kibler has been on the duelyst train. I feel like getting into that game and the amt of time it takes to do a match is just too much for me compared to HS
Games are shorter on average in terms of number of turns played out.

Issue is that there's more thinking involved so players take more time thinking out turns and moving around their units. I believe the turn timer is also longer.

Also the matchmaking is super fast. Like you are in a game within 4 seconds.

I haven't had a single game go to fatigue in Duelyst (though there are also 40 card decks) and rarely do games go above the 9th mana crystal. And you start with 2 mana crystals vs 1 crystal in HS.

gutshot

That sucks.

2 mana 3/3 isn't even that good if its vanilla. Most of the competitive 2 drops are 2/3 or 3/2 with a competitive ability (so similar to being 3/3). Then you give them a 1 mana card on top of that.

And besides what Warlock needs is a 4 drop to fill that Void Caller/Shredder slot.

Also even Kibler caught the Duelyst hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-0ONGcELo&nohtml5=False

And by "caught the hype", you mean "paid to promote it".

Owzers

played one ladder game today since i still don't want to play much, my renolock vs aggro shaman. I had such a good draw that i didn't need to tap or play reno which i drew into at turn 4. Mortal coil to kill leper, coin imp gang boss, brann, argus, ooze to break their doomhammer, earthsea to heal brann, and that was pretty much it. I had to quit before the inevitable terrible game.

Man this guy Kripp's facing is the most obvious sniper I've seen yet. Backstabs a 1/1 to proc duplicate, throws his 2/1 at a 1/1 zo Kripp can't kill his 5 health minion with Kraken, it's so common but these people disgust me.

You can whine about streamers complaining about snipers but I'd be suspicious as hell every match too when this bullshit happens so often.

Sounds like smart plays though. Kripp always cries ghosting very hard. I'm sure he is right sometimes, but playing around duplicate in arena... that doesn't mean sniping. Clearing instead of going face? Calls sniper? Come on. Kripp is the one who should be disgusting you frankly. If he loses it's rarely his fault or the skill of his opponent.

Top Bottom