• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

So does this card pretty much confirm that Preparation is going to be left untouched? That's too bad if true. That spell has been hamstring the rogue class forever. And it should be a damn basic card if it's going to be that important to the class.
What's weird is that Preparation should be really strong, but if they keep designing every card like it will get Prep'd, it might as well not exist. Does anyone really want to blow Prep + 3 mana to play this card for 3 cards. That's only a 1 card profit for 3 mana, which is still inferior to Arcane Intellect.

While not all card draw should be equal between the classes, as Nirolak said, I feel like Rogue should have the most versatile card value options.

Pooya

duplicator, burgle rogue deck, latest in Blizzard's brilliant attempts to make a new rogue deck!

Even if we have this control deck, this card is still worse than all the discover cards, cause it's 6 mana without a body, look at this and conjurer... It's worse than this new warrior spell and obviously way worse than duplicate or echo that we had in the past and are going out and were never exactly very popular in a much better class... It's also worse than Chromaggus. lol rogue can actually make chromaggus work if you want to play for infinite value. I don't see the point of it right now.

I'd say the closest card to it is Wilfred Fizzlebang. It's the same idea, the outcome you can't really control, you just get two copies of a bad card like how you can get a 0 mana low value card, that never worked in warlock that was actually a viable class for control, this one won't either.

Dahbomb

What's weird is that Preparation should be really strong, but if they keep designing every card like it will get Prep'd, it might as well not exist. Does anyone really want to blow Prep + 3 mana to play this card for 3 cards. That's only a 1 card profit for 3 mana, which is still inferior to Arcane Intellect.

While not all card draw should be equal between the classes, as Nirolak said, I feel like Rogue should have the most versatile card value options.
People play Prep plus Sprint and that's 4 mana for 2 card "profit" which is still "inferior" to Arcane Intellect.

The profit concept isn't valid because you are cycling cards. Arcane Intellect you cycle a card and draw a card, with Prep and these draws you cycle the Prep and that card draw and get a drawn cards or two cards. That's about as good but requires an extra card to combo.

Thing is that the value of this card is that it conjures two extra cards which aids in the fatigue battle. If you build your deck with a higher than normal curve then you can hit a big target and get value in the long run.

However, just like Fizzlebang you can hit a low cost card like Prep and then you are screwed. I still think this shouldn't be 6 mana.

Pooya

it's also worse than that new mage spell. While a card from your deck is generally better than a random, 3 random cards from mage spells for 5 mana are definitely better than a copy of a random card from your deck for 6.

Tarazet

I mean you'd not play it when you have 7 other cards in hand.

If you don't have 7 cards in your hand on turn 6, you aren't playing the class right!

Seriously though I think it could, and probably will be, a viable replacement for Sprint. There aren't a lot of Rogue cards that I wouldn't want to get duplicates of, other than cards that I wouldn't play anyway like Kidnapper or that panda.

Thing is that the value of this card is that it conjures two extra cards which aids in the fatigue battle. If you build your deck with a higher than normal curve then you can hit a big target and get value in the long run.

It puts the copies in your hand, not your deck, so it does not help in the fatigue battle. If they were shuffled into your deck then that would be two extra draws before fatigue.

Dahbomb

All the Rogue and Hunter cards have been slower late game oriented cards.

Except maybe the Rogue Legendary but that also conjures 2 extra cards.

Just like with Shaman, Blizzard seems to be trying to brute force these classes to have a Control archetype.

All the Rogue and Hunter cards have been slower late game oriented cards.

Except maybe the Rogue Legendary but that also conjures 2 extra cards.

Just like with Shaman, Blizzard seems to be trying to brute force these classes to have a Control archetype.

i don't agree that they're brute forcing anything. a lot of aggro stuff remains strong while the best control cards are exiting the game so they need to replace this.

they've only revealed less than half of the cards for this set anyway.

People play Prep plus Sprint and that's 4 mana for 2 card "profit" which is still "inferior" to Arcane Intellect.

The profit concept isn't valid because you are cycling cards. Arcane Intellect you cycle a card and draw a card, with Prep and these draws you cycle the Prep and that card draw and get a drawn cards or two cards. That's about as good but requires an extra card to combo.

However, just like Fizzlebang you can hit a low cost card like Prep and then you are screwed. I still think this shouldn't be 6 mana.

I feel like the general theme of this set is cards costing more than they should.

Dahbomb

i don't agree that they're brute forcing anything. a lot of aggro stuff remains strong while the best control cards are exiting the game so they need to replace this.

they've only revealed less than half of the cards for this set anyway.
We are losing way more aggressive cards than control cards.

I feel like the general theme of this set is cards costing more than they should.
Nah that was theme of TGT. Most cards in Old Gods cost what they should.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's shadowform! Valeera actually.

It's definitely a rogue card.

Okay I was wondering if that was her, but it felt like kind of a significant redesign.

Edit: I went to look up the particle effect and boy did I'd forgotten how dated they are in WoW.

bjaelke

GUl7wBH.png

Twilight Summoner

Deathrattle: summon a Faceless Destroyer 5/5

I actually don't think the pricing on Thistle tea is bad tbh. Typically card draw is 1.5 mana per card. You get 3 cards, so 4.5 mana. The copy rather than thin your deck part accounts for only 1.5 mana. It is a rather unique mechanic so we'll see how the pricing turns out.

I don't think this card was designed around prep. I don't even think card will be used with prep, but also because I think the pricing is pretty standard. The cards you get aren't random like that new mage spell. Plus with prep, you just get the value out of this card too slow I think. Lets say you prep on turn 3, unless you get a 4 drop or lower, you're not getting anything out of that double card combo. Perhaps not even anything til turn 6 or later.

Rogue seems to be getting a tool set that adds cards to your hand, rather than thinning your deck. Undercity huckster, burgle, and now thistle tea all fit a control game plan. But only one of those has any legs vs faster decks.

edit:
On second thought, maybe useable with prep. Just not sure why you'd go with this over sprint for the type of decks that use prep. But who knows, maybe prep does work in control if there are enough prep worthy control spells.

Peléo

This is a bigger egg. Unlike the others, don´t need activator and requires a bigger investment. I think it could see play in Zoo or Raptor Rogue. Even bigger tempo loss if it gets silenced though.

Owzers

Peléo;200711690 said:
This is a bigger egg. Unlike the others, don´t need activator and requires a bigger investment. I think it could see play in Zoo or Raptor Rogue. Even bigger tempo loss if it gets silenced though.

our owl friend must go.

Seems good for arena. Maybe good in decks that rely on buffs like BOK or PO, but really bad if it is silenced, even worse than egg in that regard.

I was thinking N'Zoth as well. Not a bad minion to resurrect.

I think for n'zoth you'd want higher front end impact cards because getting that 5/5 might take too long that late into the game. Maybe still fits though.

Peléo;200711690 said:
I feel like if you're playing a card like this, you'll have other Silence targets.

Granted, you can't play those other targets if you're dead from playing a 1/1 on turn 4.

V-Faction

Christ, I feel like this set along we've seen like 10+ 4-mana cost cards. As soon as Shredder left the building, Blizzard couldn't wait to fill in the hole.

Top Bottom