• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

I've been laddering wild and tempo mage is like the most common deck I see, not secret paladin. (I play secret paladin myself kek).

bjaelke

3m3dESR.png

From Yahoo's Esports site

Pooya

so you can get two 5 dmg aoe for 6 mana from the potion girl. I'm wondering when all the potions are revealed if chances are better than getting ysera awakens 1 in 5.

we're 2 in how many now?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ha, that's basically Dragonfire Potion for Warlocks.

And if anybody tries to claim that combos well with Cho'Gall.... lol

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So what 5 damage AoE is the new normal? This is exactly Dragonfire potion but with the caveat that it hurts both heroes. So in some ways this is way better? Again, great in stuff like Handlock and Demonlock, but pretty bad in zoo.

Dahbomb

3m3dESR.png

That's a lot of face damage to self but I will take it anyway. More board clears are welcome.

Sometimes Shadowflame is kinda awkward and all you really need to do is clear a bunch of Fire Elementals and Thing from Below.

This can probably see play in Renolock but right now Warlock has WAY TOO MANY AOEs and not enough heals to sustain all this self damage from the AOEs.

wiibomb

3m3dESR.png

I wonder if this would end up being a finisher for other decks... I mean... doomguard already does 5 damage, how about this card + hellfire for 8 damage?

it seems to me like good AoE, it should at least hard counter shaman

Pooya

priest has 3 potions. Mage and warlock 2 each so far. So if there are 9 in total, you have 2 in 9 shot of getting a 5 dmg aoe. It's kinda like a mini ysera that comes earlier.

Other outcomes aren't exactly terrible, 3 of them are kinda bad depending on your deck. I think the card is good, let's see what the other 2 potions are. If there are no more potions then I think it's nuts at 2 in 7.

Control warlock decks are really bad against bursty decks anyway, the face damage isn't too relevant if you're going against mid shaman, they don't have that much damage from hand, it's just lightning bolts and the weapon if they have spell power. It's all about that board.

Dahbomb

Well I guess we can't complain about there not being enough AoE's
Well issue is that the AOE is being concentrated to three classes.

Paladin, Warriors and Hunters basically got no AOE. Of course they aren't going to give the Jade classes AOE either but I could be wrong.

Pooya

Shaman has plenty aoe already. They have the best aoe, one sided tempo ones.

Druid isn't supposed to have aoe, it'd be busted if they had imo.

rogue is probably meant to win the game by turn 8, kek. draw well or go home.

I just hit rank 5 in Wild last night, and in my experience Mage is very common, even moreso than Secret Paladin.

But I didn't play a single Shaman all month, and Midrange Shaman is definitely a tier 1 deck in Wild. It runs over everything but Secret Paladin, and with double Hexes the matchup is still pretty doable. I'm probably >60% in that matchup.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just hit rank 5 in Wild last night, and in my experience Mage is very common, even moreso than Secret Paladin.

But I didn't play a single Shaman all month, and Midrange Shaman is definitely a tier 1 deck in Wild. It runs over everything but Secret Paladin, and with double Hexes the matchup is still pretty doable. I'm probably >60% in that matchup.

What are you playing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Demonwrath
Hellfire
Shadowflame
Felfire Potion
Abyssal Enforcer
Twisting Nether
Doom!

I don't think Warlock has enough board clears, guys.

Warlock needs more ways to kill itself.

What are you playing.
I played Tempo Mage until Rank 7 because it's probably my favorite deck in the game. At Rank 7 I was fighting a lot more Secret Paladins, and IMO the matchup there is kind of iffy unless your draws are great, so I swapped to Midrange Shaman, which is a deck I also love in this game. From Rank 7 to 5 I only lost 2 matches during my climb. One was to a Secret Paladin that curved out perfectly, and the other was a Secret Paladin that just had an amazing aggro hand I couldn't keep up with.

On that note, Tempo Mage vs. Freeze Mage makes me laugh every time. Conjurer's Tome almost always gives me a Counterspell or Ice Block that makes the matchup completely unwinnable for my opponent. Conjurer's Tome and Babbling Book are some of my favorite cards - the random card draw means my opponent has zero ability to play around anything. The only card I hate getting from either is Ice Lance, but I used it once to freeze a Control Warrior and disrupt his Death's Bite combo.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah lots of people claim midrange shaman is bad in wild.

They are wrong.

Midrange shaman barely even needs wild cards and they still do ridiculously well.

Xis

If they are going to keep printing Reno-style cards, I would really appreciate if they changed the deck editor to make it easier to see if one copy of a card has already been added to your deck.

wiibomb

I've been playing midrange shaman lists for a long time now and something is missing for me... I end up losing more than I win..

feelsbad

Pooya

As I said before, warlock doesn't have the tools to deal with mid range creatures. This kills a lot of those, it's very much needed. You end up using twisting nether instead right now or lose.

3 dmg aoe is good but if you don't have single target removals in your deck, like how warlocks don't, you need something this. We can be sure dragon priest has a counter now.

hell fire, potion and soulfire is 12 burst damage too, you can get lethal with this, that's a big deal.

Dahbomb

As I said before, warlock doesn't have the tools to deal with mid range creatures. This kills a lot of those, it's very much needed. You end up using twisting nether instead right now or lose.

3 dmg aoe is good but if you don't have single target removals in your deck, like how warlocks don't, you need something this. We can be sure dragon priest has a counter now.

hell fire, potion and soulfire is 12 burst damage too, you can get lethal with this, that's a big deal.
Warlock needs heals to be able sustain all this self damage AOE stuff.

Hellfire + Abyssal + Felfire that's 11 HP, 1/3rd of your HP pool. Hunter and Tempo Mage are going to restrict Renolock from ever being good if this is what they have to run in order to compete.

Dahbomb

I think you can use 2 of them. Warlocks got by with two Hellfire before. Putting 3 of them is too much especially if one of them is Felfire.

It's nice to have against tempo mage, hunter, paladin and freeze mage. It's a small tech like ooze.

Mage hunter and paladin is a massive part of the meta.
That's why I don't run secrets in my Tempo Mage deck. :-D

I've been playing midrange shaman lists for a long time now and something is missing for me... I end up losing more than I win..

feelsbad

It's called Midrange Shaman, but IMO it plays more like a control deck. Sure, you can curve out, but that doesn't happen often and you don't count on it.

Dahbomb

It's called Midrange Shaman, but IMO it plays more like a control deck. Sure, you can curve out, but that doesn't happen often and you don't count on it.
That's exactly what Midrange means.

Midrange means that you still play the early and midrange curve cards and against control decks you play aggressively to kill them fast. That means Bloodlust, Rag, Lightning Bolts to face, Spirit Claws to face.. whatever way you can to kill them fast because you don't win against them by out controlling them.

Against faster decks you control them and keep them off the board.

Game has so few control decks that most of the time as Midrange Shaman you are just trying to control the other degenerate decks from getting out of control and then tempo them out with your threats. Trust me when I say that when I play my Renolock against a Midrange Shaman, there's no controlling going on the Shamans' part (outside of Hexing massive taunts) he's trying to play it like an aggro deck... which is what he should be doing because it's a Midrange deck and he can't win against Renolock in the late game.

There is actually a Control Shaman deck and it's not that bad. It uses Elemental Destruction, Healing Wave, Lava Shock, Hallzeal, Earth Elementals even Bog Creepers to get into the late game. It plays significantly differently from Midrange Shaman because it actually wants to go into the late game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom