• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What if mage gets raza off the discover card. And then they play coldarra drake and they OTK lol

Playing a crappy card in hopes you hit a 2% chance doesn't make sense. It will be priests that get the bullshit lucky coldarra Drake for the otk that can't be prevented. And people are going to start flipping out about it. Even if it is rare.

Playing a crappy card in hopes you hit a 2% chance doesn't make sense. It will be priests that get the bullshit lucky coldarra Drake for the otk that can't be prevented. And people are going to start flipping out about it. Even if it is rare.

I've seen reno decks running coldara before. Actually kind of fits right in with a majordomo reno mage deck.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You guys... Let's Make Reno Great Again.

Can we change the Thread title to Make Reno Great Again? I think I need this.

Mulgrok

I could see the new 3/4, that allows the hero power to be used after every spell, be included as a "one of" in control warrior and zoo paladin type decks. Warrior being able to armor up an extra time after using shield slam/ slam/execute could make a huge difference, and spawning more 1/1's after using paladin 1 mana buffs could help maintain board presence without vomiting a hand full of cheap minions.

I had a lot of success with a buff paladin deck in gvg/tgt era by using my hero power every turn to increase volume of buff targets, especially in control matchups. I only played to rank 3-4 with it though.

edit: I hope they make cards like Reno part of the classic set, or somehow exclude them from the seasonal purge.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Well, he isn't or at least he doesn't have a good deck right now.

In Standard he doesn't. That's really my point. In Standard Reno has been below the curve (hahaha puns!) for a while. This set is making him great again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's odd to me is they are using Standard now to play "current" cards with the idea that older cards will get rolled out.

Reno being a LoE card from this time last year means that a lot of these new cards become way less viable once he rolls out to wild only.

What's odd to me is they are using Standard now to play "current" cards with the idea that older cards will get rolled out.

Reno being a LoE card from this time last year means that a lot of these new cards become way less viable once he rolls out to wild only.

I think highlander has a lot of design space, because they are willing to print otherwise OP cards. So I don't expect them to stop printing those types of cards. In wild we could see the strongest reno deck if they keep printing these types of cards, something that wouldn't be acceptable in standard perhaps.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
At least reno decks typically take more thinking. A meta full of dragon priests is no different than a meta full of dragon warriors.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I hate going up against decks with really lopsided winrates based on matchup, like Anyfin Paladin. Yesterday, I was crushed by an Anyfin Paladin with my Dragon Priest. Dragon Priest tickles its opponents until Paladin can get an efficient clear and you can't play too slowly because you're on a clock, so Dragon Priest gets crushed. Tonight I go in with Tempo Mage, he draws like crap, and I win by Turn 7. That's just no fun.

fertygo

In Standard he doesn't. That's really my point. In Standard Reno has been below the curve (hahaha puns!) for a while. This set is making him great again.
Pretty sure Renolock actually better than in current stansarď meta than in wiĺd

Renolock doing ok in current midrange meta.. tempo mage actually worse mathup for rènolocķ than standard mid-shaman.. wild meta has alot morè stìcky minion that can really hard to clear.

Eternal is in open beta on Steam now - check it out! :-D

I hate going up against decks with really lopsided winrates based on matchup, like Anyfin Paladin. Yesterday, I was crushed by an Anyfin Paladin with my Dragon Priest. Dragon Priest tickles its opponents until Paladin can get an efficient clear and you can't play too slowly because you're on a clock, so Dragon Priest gets crushed. Tonight I go in with Tempo Mage, he draws like crap, and I win by Turn 7. That's just no fun.

Part of why Hearthstone is a bad game.

You know how you buy a lottery ticket when your luck is so good? What about when your luck is so bad? I've had like 50% chance to draw both anyfins before drawing any murlocs tonight. Two games in a row actually. I think my last 3 games I drew anyfin right after mulligan too.

edit:
maybe it's not so bad, I won both my last games despite drawing anyfins in the first 4 turns lol - rag lightlord carried me to a win against face hunter then I top decked tirion to finish it off

Had a 100 gold Murloc quest so I loaded up a Shaman deck with all my Murlocs. The surprising thing is that this trash deck actually wins games in Casual.

It's actually pretty effective against Zoolock. Then again once I lucked out by rolling spell damage totem and then using Maelstrom to clear his board.

Lost to a Hunter with a golden portrait who didn't play anything except Secrets and Unleash with no Huntress. Maybe he had a quest to do.

Also beat a Ramp Druid who had a really good curve (early Wild Growths into Nourish). But I Hexed his Ironbark and started filling my board, then buffed them with Everyfin to remove his Arcane Giant. I kept expecting Swipe but it never came.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh crap, someone tried Majordomo + Coldarra Drake. It looked like regular freeze mage at first.

Soooo they had the Drake out while they were Rag and had Ice Block out, looked impossible.

Play Yogg, casts Flare, moonfire face twice LOL

Hero

I forgot how dumb heroic adventure bosses were. Same fucking opening every game without fail for the opponent.

Fuck these damn plates.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh good grief that Priest Legendary.

I'm going to hate all the Reno styled stuff wandering around. I like it in theory, sort of, but until now most of those decks have been basically draw Reno or lose. That much reliance on a single card in a deck - especially in a game with no tutoring - just rubs me the wrong way. I don't even really like Secret Hunter all that much because it lives and dies on Cloaked Huntress. Prefer deck design that's a bit more consistent and never reliant on one thing, unless it's a draw out your deck combo, which I don't think many people like lol.

Oh good grief that Priest Legendary.

I'm going to hate all the Reno styled stuff wandering around. I like it in theory, sort of, but until now most of those decks have been basically draw Reno or lose. That much reliance on a single card in a deck - especially in a game with no tutoring - just rubs me the wrong way. I don't even really like Secret Hunter all that much because it lives and dies on Cloaked Huntress. Prefer deck design that's a bit more consistent and never reliant on one thing, unless it's a draw out your deck combo, which I don't think many people like lol.

Reno rotates out soon, though.

It seems like they are doing with Reno what they did with Piloted Shredder. Add a class-specific version for each class so that the decks have more individuality.

ZeroX03

Banned
Reno rotates out soon, though.

It seems like they are doing with Reno what they did with Piloted Shredder. Add a class-specific version for each class so that the decks have more individuality.

Yeah looking forward to seeing how these decks shape out with Reno gone.

I'd rather each class have 2-3 high impact cards for the single card deck style, rather than one make or break card. Leads itself to more fun and balanced gameplay.

fertygo

the mage reno legendary isn't must draw win condition card tho, its compliment to kazakus/or elise

And for renolock its known to had multiple win condition already, you can win with exhaust opp resource, leeroy combo or jaraxxus

I don't know about that priest leg yet, if you go to shadowform route then yes its can feel like that.. but its possible to build it around other win condition like N'zoth, control heavy style too so its not neccessary you always had to draw it or you lose

ZeroX03

Banned
the mage reno legendary isn't must draw win condition card tho, its compliment to kazakus/or elise

And for renolock its known to had multiple win condition already, you can win with exhaust opp resource, leeroy combo or jaraxxus

Keep in mind I'm usually playing aggro, so they're usually dead before those alternate win conditions can really kick in. Slower decks it's a different story.

fertygo

Keep in mind I'm usually playing aggro, so they're usually dead before those alternate win conditions can really kick in. Slower decks it's a different story.

No shit breh your win condition vs aggro is to not dead, reno or not its not different

fun n balanced gameplay right there

Q8D3vil

it seem that alot of you forgetting that priest lacks good draw ( for now ) to make it top tier deck.The current cards will make priest a playable ( there is a bigger chance to survive the early game now ), but im not expecting it to be the go to ladder glass ( most of the cards are still situational ).

fertygo

it seem that alot of you forgetting that priest lacks good draw ( for now ) to make it top tier deck.The current cards will make priest a playable ( there is a bigger chance to survive the early game now ), but im not expecting it to be the go to ladder glass ( most of the cards are still situational ).
they get plenty of cheap spell, might've really easy to pull pyro + cleric shenanigan now

or shit, play Auctioneer

But I think they get some redundant removal like the cheap shadow madness already help a lot

There are so many card games right now, just not sure which ones to try.

Hearthstone, Faeria, Elder Scrolls, Eternal, Gwent?
IMO the tiers are:

S Tier:
Duelyst
Infinity Wars
Eternal

A Tier:
Faeria
Hearthstone
Shadowverse

B Tier:
Elder Scrolls
Card Hunter

D Tier:
Gwent
Solforge
Spellweaver

But why not try them all? :)

Jadax

IMO the tiers are:

Duelyst
Eternal

Will try these out first - though I'm not a fan of pay2win models - yes, some people may say hearthstone is also sort of pay2win if you want to take ladder seriously, but so far I've just been playing casually and doing fine. I just don't want to get into a game and realise down the line that I need to pay to make progress where it counts.

So these are f2p or pay2win?

ViviOggi

Will try these out first - though I'm not a fan of pay2win models - yes, some people may say hearthstone is also sort of pay2win if you want to take ladder seriously, but so far I've just been playing casually and doing fine. I just don't want to get into a game and realise down the line that I need to pay to make progress where it counts.

So these are f2p or pay2win?
They're CCGs so that comes with the territory, but any of the recent ones is significantly more generous than HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom