• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Blade flurry totally should work with the poisonous weapon buff.
Agreed. If rogues can't have beefy weapons for cheap, then being able to AoE any abilities your weapons have, should have been one of the class design gimmicks going forward. Like, I dunno, create a low attack weapon that heals you for the damage it deals.

NBtoaster

Another missed opportunity brawl, it's launch week, the client is already patched and no new cards to play with.

Maybe when they did the TGT brawl before launch the decks were so bad bad they lost sales?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It would be a two card, 7-9 mana combo to clear the board (assuming no bubbles). That doesn't seem overpowered even in Rogue and likely wouldn't be played anyway.

Fixed1979

Agreed. If rogues can't have beefy weapons for cheap, then being able to AoE any abilities your weapons have should be one of the class design gimmicks going forward. Like, I dunno, create a low attack weapon that heals you for the damage it deals.

Stuff like that will be the only way Flurry sees play again.

Didn't mean to go on a bit of a rant about semantics. Just disappointed by a few minor things I think should work.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Deleted pretty much all of my decks today and disenchanted all my golden cards from the ones leaving standard.

Happy New Year HS GAF!

do any youtube card reviews consider wild? i tried watching trumps but he totally dismisses cards that don't fit into standard decks, just looking for some bedtime listening

wiibomb

Another missed opportunity brawl, it's launch week, the client is already patched and no new cards to play with.

Maybe when they did the TGT brawl before launch the decks were so bad bad they lost sales?

while I agree this is perfect time for an ungoro TB, I can see why they don't do new brawls so close to the release.

We, users of amazon appstore, don't have yet the update, so yeah, we are stuck playing on the old client until amazon decides to update the damn thing

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
while I agree this is perfect time for an ungoro TB, I can see why they don't do new brawls so close to the release.

We, users of amazon appstore, don't have yet the update, so yeah, we are stuck playing on the old client until amazon decides to update the damn thing

It's out.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I sometimes play PW its a nice way to take out yer anger after getting beat up and losing a bunch

Of course didn't even face a single Jade Druid in freaking 16 games which is the whole reason I chose this deck.

But hard to get too mad at 12-4 winrate.

EDIT: 13-5 and my missed Patches hit count is now 3. Damn this deck is hard...

EDIT 2: UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGG

Finally faced a Jade Druid on 20th game and freaking lost somehow. WTF.

No weapons and so many taunts.

Damn it.

EDIT 3: Right after that, faced another pirate warrior. Clearly I'm not lucky enough for this game...

http://i.imgur.com/MwksTXh.png

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Jade is not a fast deck at all

Jeez people, not everything that wins games is "fast", Jade is either solidly midrange (Shaman) or one of the slowest decks in the game (Druid). Also shaman jade is going to slow down further due to losing Tunnel Trogg *and* Totem Gilem with zero replacements

Sure it's comparative and something with a good curve can beat Jade. But anything that aims to win turn 13 or later with no good early curve is too slow for jade. I don't know how else to describe that.

If you think there's a better term for why Quest Mage probably loses to Jade, I'd like to hear it.

It's the slowest viable deck in the game because it's so goddamn good against anything even slightly slower. Therefore, anything slightly slower than both Jade Druid and Pirates is "too slow".

I guess Reno Mage is slow against jade, but fast against pirate, which is sortof counterintuitive. But it's not like their biggest problem is losing the value game exactly.

I don't get the tavern brawl

I have a cost 7 minion die and then nothing is summoned. I have like 5 different minions dies and they don't get 'resummoned'. But for my opponent they do.

Am I missing something?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the tavern brawl

I have a cost 7 minion die and then nothing is summoned. I have like 5 different minions dies and they don't get 'resummoned'. But for my opponent they do.

Am I missing something?

They have to be played from hand, not summoned, and be at least 2 mana.

With like the sole exception of Dopplegangster because I guess the deathrattle is part of the copy on the summons.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh yeah, I definitely played all these cards by hand.

If they get silenced nothing happens?
I think the revive counts as a deathrattle, so silence would remove it.

If you hover the card you should see "Mysterious Pilot" or whatever if that minion will be resummoned.

Oh.

And now the game froze apparently and I can see my opponent making movements but it's stuck on the time running out animation for him. The fuck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I definitely played all these cards by hand.

If they get silenced nothing happens?

Yeah, silence is very good in this brawl.

I'd include double owl, double spellbreaker, and double defias cleaner for every deck in the brawl.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, Dahbomb and I were able to record our review without issue tonight. We had to revoice our opinions on a good chunk of the cards because of the audio issues from our last recording so we go through the cards faster than we usually do.

I don't think I will be able to have it uploaded to YouTube by tonight, but hopefully I can get it up sometime in the morning.

Here is our final predictions spreadsheet

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, Dahbomb and I were able to record our review without issue tonight. We had to revoice our opinions on a good chunk of the cards because of the audio issues from our last recording so we go through the cards faster than we usually do.

I don't think I will be able to have it uploaded to YouTube by tonight, but hopefully I can get it up sometime in the morning.

Here is our final predictions spreadsheet

Looks like the Emerald Reaver split applies here too. Interested to see what you guys said about it. Also disappointing to see only three 5 star cards each, but that's probably more on the set than your review.

Am happy to see some backup on Unite the Murlocs at double 4 stars. Was starting to get worried about how little support I was seeing after being so bullish on it.

I am a little salty on the lack of support for Clutchmother Zavas though. Dahbomb is the one who sold me on the damn card in the first place.

Dahbomb

Looks like the Emerald Reaver split applies here too. Interested to see what you guys said about it. Also disappointing to see only three 5 star cards each, but that's probably more on the set than your review.

Am happy to see some backup on Unite the Murlocs at double 4 stars. Was starting to get worried about how little support I was seeing after being so bullish on it.

I am a little salty on the lack of support for Clutchmother Zavas though. Dahbomb is the one who sold me on the damn card in the first place.
I had it as a 4 originally but then Zealous talked me down on it. Well really I talked myself down on it but I still think it's a fine inclusion in Discard Zoo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm definitely the devil's advocate against the consensus opinion on Zavas. I might be playing with fire by going against the grain on that card but I usually stick with my instincts. Given its unique effect I could easily be wrong, though. I have less confidence in that assessment overall since a mathematical model isn't underlying my read on that card. It's more about how the "hold in hand to gain value" effect usually goes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think zavas is too clunky outside of quest decks.

Strifecro was very high on the 6 mana paladin stegadon buff card.

Grief.exe

It's strange that they didn't print any dragons for priest in this set. It does go against the total theme to a degree, but that leaves the Mean Streets cards like Operative and Dragonfire potion hanging.

Jadax

It's strange that they didn't print any dragons for priest in this set. It does go against the total theme to a degree, but that leaves the Mean Streets cards like Operative and Dragonfire potion hanging.
Finally! I won't have to worry about getting boned by Operative as much anymore xD

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

They printed DrakOP with the expectation that Dragon Priest dies at rotation, but it'll be funny watching people try to make DrakOP work. Maybe we will even see Nozdormu in that deck.

Seriously though, by my count you can still have a 23 dragon priest deck after rotation, though not the best quality. Cut the 13 worst ones and maybe it's ok?

It's kind of a theme for them to leave archetypes half-hanging all over the place if you play Standard. That said, I'm just happy the set looks interesting this time.

wiibomb

the only early dragons in standard now are Faerie Dragon and twilight drake.

Not even Azure drake is present now. I don't see the archetype working with just those 2 cards, may be next expansion there will be better dragons to make use of it.

I really don't want that archetype to die, it was one of the few that made priest viable

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At least the chance of discovering DrakOP with Netherspite Historian is going to be incredibly high after all the dragons go way.

fertygo

fucking finally hit rank 5 before rotation, feel good in the safe ranked floor zone so can chill with new cards

At least the chance of discovering DrakOP with Netherspite Historian is going to be incredibly high after all the dragons go way.

this exactly why I think dragon elemental priest can be solid

Dahbomb

The marsh queen 3?? Wow

Crackling razormaw 4?? Hmm interesting

Both Zealous and I rated most of the quests a 3 which is basically "I don't really know if this is going to be good or not".

But I do have some backing as to why Marsh Queen isn't that good mathematically speaking.

If you have too many 1 drops in your deck, then you can activate the quest faster... but that makes your quest reward worse. You are still only going to draw the raptors half of the time and if you can't chain raptors together then it's a pretty weak deck because it's just a bunch of small minions coming one at a time which most control decks can handle.

The quest becomes stronger when you have fewer 1 drops left in your deck (ie. when your deck is thinner) meaning you get more advantage from the quest reward if you play it later. However, if you are playing the quest later that means you have fewer 1 drops and you are probably playing a more Midrange style Hunter deck. In that case, you are just better off playing a standard Midrange Beast Hunter deck that hopes to finish the game by turn 7-8 before the quest is even a factor.

So the Quest isn't as broken as it may appear.

As far as Crackling Razormaw is concerned, I think 4 is the floor for it. This is probably a 5 in most cases but through reviewing cards like these in the past I have seen that cards that need a body on the board are usually slightly overrated because you can't always guarantee a body (Princess Huhuran, Menagerie Warden etc.) . Like mathematically speaking Defender of Argus is insane but you can't always guarantee bodies. Like sometimes you might just not have a beast in play and you have only have a Houndmaster in play. And sometimes the Adapt can whiff although it's a small chance. So a few small percentages prevent Crackling from being an over powered 5/5 card even though it easily can be.

We couldn't really go in-depth with the card analysis because:

A) We had very little time for this review, it was cutting it very close before the release.
B) Recording messed up so we had to do most of the class cards AGAIN and we just sped through most of them with 0 discussion.
C) It's harder to put thoughts into words while on the spot versus just sitting here and typing it out. There's probably a lot of other points that I wanted to make but couldn't.

wiibomb

oh no I get it Dahbomb, rating cards in a very mindful way is difficult, hell, I accidentally gave zavas a 4 when I meant a 2 or 3... I just blazed quickly through the list, they are 135 after all.

I see the point in marsh queen, the card isn't as insane, although I was expecting more of a 4 at least, not that much of a difference.

the mathematics behind crackling razormaw are interesting, I just expected it to be a flat 3 or 2, expected that to be a similar case to the Trogg Beastrager, but I can see that on a minion on board the effect is more powerful than a Trogg Beastrager

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the Murloc quest will be the first quest I give a try, at the absolute worst I can make a meme wild deck, but expect it to be pretty good. Especially since you can likely RNG Seadevil and Hydrolist, which can generate more tempo.

Also I feel people have mostly forgotten Elise, that card will likely get included in a lot of slower decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom