• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

There are zero 5 rated cards from GAF in Ungoro.

Jeweled Mccaw is highest rated card though with Kalimos coming in second. Those are probably my top 2 cards too to be honest.

It's sort of a sea giant role, except instead of requiring board you need discards to hit it. I think that won't be hard to do.

I think jeweled mccaw is a good card. I thought webspinner was good when people were talking it down too. But top in this set? I doubt it.

edit:
mccaw is a 4 to me. So i fall along the median of the gaf review. I just don't think it's a 5.

Dahbomb

IMO these are the desirable Epics of the set:

Primordial Drake (1 of inclusion in some control decks)
Blazecaller (potentially up to 2 inclusions in Elemental decks)
Stone Sentinel (competes with Blazecaller but you can still slot one of these in)
Meteor (powerhouse Mage board clear/removal but you probably only need one of these)
Bittertide Hydra (aggressive Beast decks, could potentially use two of these)
Vilespine Slayer (strong card for Rogue decks)
Gentle Megasaur (strong card for Murloc decks)
Gluttonous Ooze (strong one of tech option against Pirates)
Dinomancy (potential card in Midrange Hunter)
Primordial Glyph (usable in Quest Mage)
Stampede (beast draw engine for Hunter)

Around 10ish Epics, some you need two of. About 5000-6000 Dust right there if all of them end up being usable.

Compare with MSG:

Dragonfire Potion
Burgly Bully
Dirty Rat
Sleep with the Fishes
Rat Pack
Manic Soulcaster

That's it.. .LMAO!

Old Gods:

Call of the Wild
Whispers of the Old Gods
Hammer of Twilight
Cabalist's Tome
Faceless Shambler
Forbidden Healing
Forbidden Flame
Twilight Summoner

Crosseyes

Banned
I think the deck I'm most looking forward to when release hits is Elemental... something. Shaman will probably be most powerful but I'm curious of mage with it too. Although Tar Creeper into Stoneshaper is so damn good against aggro I think that might be the 'pirate package' answer for midrange and control decks this expac.

The neutral 'elemental package' that can make any deck much better vs aggro.

I want to experiment with Dreadsteed in a Discard deck - bring it back with that Dinomancer.

I'm trying to find the timestamp right now, but he basically said it would be too slow to compete with other OTK/control/Mid-range/aggro decks since you would essentially have to draw your entire deck to activate the quest and get your OTK.

EDIT: Here's the timestamp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDE0jM_x9qk&t=10m34s

Indeed.

People are also discounting Mage being able to complete the quest, when it's possibly the best class to stall out the game long enough to complete the quest, and people are underestimating how valuable randomly generated mage spells tend to be.
I would hold off on crafting this deck asap, maybe wait a month or so to see how the meta shakes out before investing your precious dust.
I use a spell that is basically "RNG Spell Mage" with some tempo stuff mixed in, and I have a positive winrate against most decks. I'm going to try making it "RNG Reno Spell Mage" to increase my survivability even more. I feel like Mage needs some new draw cards though.

The freeze package doesn't need that many slots, and a vast majority of generated spells are defensive.
In my experience, randomly generated spells are almost always great. Ice Lance and Shatter are the only two I grumble about. Everything else is solid.

Will you guys spend all your gold in Un'goro packs?
No, I will continue to get Gadgetzan packs because my pity timer is SO close I feel. I must have gotten 30 packs without anything. :p I always buy each set until I get a legendary so I can max out my value.

There is a guaranteed OTK if you use Time Warp with 2 sorcerer's apprentices, 2 of that Mage spell that copies a minion, and Antonidas. 0 mana fireballs.

Only question will be whether you can survive long enough to gather the resources and complete the quest.

Probably going to be one of the most expensive expansions considering the amount of high quality Epics introduced.
That seems even worse than the Arcane Giant combo.

Going to be running my classic Handlock. Screw all these fancy new decks.
List? I don't see how Handlock will work with no Molten Giant. Especially in Wild, I feel like we're at the point where Reno is in everything.

nothing yet, but you can check it here, in the Latest Updates it should be 8.0 when it updates
Thank you!

Dahbomb

Karsticles said:
I want to experiment with Dreadsteed in a Discard deck - bring it back with that Dinomancer.
Why use that combo when you can Spiritsinger Umbra play that into Dreadsteed for a full board of Dreadsteeds?

Karsticles said:
List? I don't see how Handlock will work with no Molten Giant. Especially in Wild, I feel like we're at the point where Reno is in everything.
I posted the list a few pages back, this is for Standard though.

Classic Handlock Standard

Basically the new plant that can't attack as the replacement and go double Sunfury/DoA. You don't have heals but there is less burn in the game in Standard and you have a ton of taunts.

Spirit umbra or whatever is easily the most overrated card in review's I've looked at. Like gaf + reddit reviews iirc. I guess it's not that high on gaf review tho. Oh it was the hearthpwn one.

joelseph

Spirit umbra or whatever is easily the most overrated card in review's I've looked at. Like gaf + reddit reviews iirc. I guess it's not that high on gaf review tho. Oh it was the hearthpwn one.

Might be good in a midrange hunter deck. Hold a 3 drop to hero + deathrattle trigger on 5 if Umbra sticks. Lots of work to protect such weak combos though.

Q8D3vil

I wonder what will happen to established known weak archetypes like Beast druid with all new in the expansions and dominating cards leaving standard (trogg and golem).

Dahbomb

I wonder what will happen to established known weak archetypes like Beast druid with all new in the expansions and dominating cards leaving standard (trogg and golem).
Beast Druid is losing:

Druid of the Saber, Mounted Raptor, Living Roots, Darnassus Aspirant, Druid of the Flame and Savage Combatant.

It's not that easy to fill in all those slots in the early game which means Beast Druid has to go slower/later.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think druid got screwed the most honestly, there is no new removal for the class and they lose 2 good ones plus azure drake. I think most of their new cards are trash but it's still druid, wild growth and innervate are always good and can beat anything. I don't know if even aggro will work, there is no good early game to play. I think old school taunt ramp druid could work. The new dragon, druid should like that, sweep the board play a big taunt is good for you when your main weakness are zoo and shaman stuff. Paladin cards are probably stronger than druid cards in this set but paladin still doesn't do anything particularly strong so they're still the worst class.

Otoh, rogue got some good cards but they don't synergize to anything right now and there might not be be a good or viable deck at all.... You lose too much power and enablers with rotation and this current pool for sure isn't going to fill the void. You can always play aggro/tempo decks that people already play right now, it could work still but it's not very interesting.
Their cards this set have good potential in future though.

Golakka Crawler, Tar Creeper, Earthan Scales, and Shellshifter helps their survivability to replace Living Roots.

Tortollian Forger seems like a pretty good draw card a lot of the time. Lots of plusses and minuses over azure drake, but having less of a stat penalty with it seems pretty good.

Y'all rated Unite the Murlocs a 3.45 (average) and I gave it a 1. I'm looking forward to telling you all how shitty Shamurloc is in a few weeks/months!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Y'all rated Unite the Murlocs a 3.45 (average) and I gave it a 1. I'm looking forward to telling you all how shitty Shamurloc is in a few weeks/months!

Murloc Shaman is my pick as a meta-breaker deck. It's got a huge list of upsides.
1.) Quest condition is easy to meet. Call in the Finishers is a huge help here.
2.) Rockpool Hunter is a very powerful early game minion.
3.) Gentle Megasaur and Bloodlust make a board full of murlocs super scary.
4.) Finja is a known quantity in terms of power and accelerates the quest.
5.) It's likely to be the most aggressive Shaman deck in the meta.

Kind of bold considering you don't have to fully commit to murlocs to run it.

Murloc Shaman is my pick as a meta-breaker deck. It's got a huge list of upsides.
1.) Quest condition is easy to meet. Call in the Finishers is a huge help here.
2.) Rockpool Hunter is a very powerful early game minion.
3.) Gentle Megasaur and Bloodlust make a board full of murlocs super scary.
4.) Finja is a known quantity in terms of power and accelerates the quest.
5.) It's likely to be the most aggressive Shaman deck in the meta.

To be honest, I have no rational reason to not trust Shamurloc. I just know it's been "around" for basically every expansion since GvG but has never made even a minor dent in the meta. I'm just skeptical, still.

Side note: Anyone else have trouble loading and closing Hearthstone recently? Seems like the last day or so the program literally just hangs at the loading screen when I try to open it or crashes when I try to close it. On Windows 10. I'm wondering if it's patch related.

Magnus

Have the timing/logistics details for tomorrow's expansion launch been announced?

- Time? (guessing 10am PT / 1pm ET?)
- Do we need to relog? (iirc, you don't need to anymore for WoW expansion launches, but you still did for Hearthstone...?)
- Can we buy additional Un'goro packs in advance, right at launch, or need to wait till afterward? (iirc, the shop went down for a bit to smooth out the launch for one of the last few expansions)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
10am PST for NA almost certainly.

I think volvanasaur might be an indication that pterrordax could be pretty damn good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Have the timing/logistics details for tomorrow's expansion launch been announced?

- Time? (guessing 10am PT / 1pm ET?)
- Do we need to relog? (iirc, you don't need to anymore for WoW expansion launches, but you still did for Hearthstone...?)
- Can we buy additional Un'goro packs in advance, right at launch, or need to wait till afterward? (iirc, the shop went down for a bit to smooth out the launch for one of the last few expansions)

When Blizzard started doing preorders on packs, it drastically lowered the strain on their authentication servers at launch for the expansions. If I were a betting man I would actually say that's the primary reason that Blizzard does preordering on packs. It spreads out the server load across the weeks leading up to the launch rather than everybody buying a bunch of packs at launch. So even though launch will still be a popular time to buy packs, the shop should still be open for business if recent history is anything to go by.

Eddie Bax

After batting around the idea of a tempo-ish Mage quest deck with Burgly Bully and Antonidas, I decided a freeze shell is probably stronger, so I'm thinking of trying something like this version.

I didn't go all in on random spell generation; I feel like there's enough of that in the deck without taking every available option. My main concerns are limited card draw and not having a consistent win condition beyond Alex/giants if the random spell cards are unkind. Thoughts?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
After batting around the idea of a tempo-ish Mage quest deck with Burgly Bully and Antonidas, I decided a freeze shell is probably stronger, so I'm thinking of trying something like this version.

I didn't go all in on random spell generation; I feel like there's enough of that in the deck without taking every available option. My main concerns are limited card draw and not having a consistent win condition beyond Alex/giants if the random spell cards are unkind. Thoughts?

I don't like the molten giants and I think one arcanologist is sufficient.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

6 single spell generation cards plus 2 Cabalist Tomes seems quite rough when you're all in on the quest win condition by having molten giants and Alexstraza without Fireball. I think you can only get away with that few spell generation cards if you are planning on winning fairly often without completing the quest.

It seems to me that you have to look into Mukkla, Kabal Courier, Kabal Chemist, or Mana Bind if going all in on quest.

peakish

No taunts. 15 hp. Enemy 18/18 Cthun on board with some other dudes and my Brann.

Quad adapt Volcanosaur to Elusive, Taunt, Poisonous and enough health to clear his board. Yum

Tomcat

To be honest, I have no rational reason to not trust Shamurloc. I just know it's been "around" for basically every expansion since GvG but has never made even a minor dent in the meta. I'm just skeptical, still.

Side note: Anyone else have trouble loading and closing Hearthstone recently? Seems like the last day or so the program literally just hangs at the loading screen when I try to open it or crashes when I try to close it. On Windows 10. I'm wondering if it's patch related.

Yeah having it hang a bit too on windows 10. It started happening after the last update. Hope they fix it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Friendly asshole tip: if you want to get easy legend, expansion time is the perfect time to do so.

Play pirate warrior. Shouldn't take more than 12h of grinding.

1: People are experimenting
2: New players show up for new expansions

Negatives: you'll probably end up missing out the fun of "being there" during the extremely experimental stages. However, if you do achieve legend quickly, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it as well.

We'll see after given time to refine.

In the end, it's probably too slow for pirates and jade, but that's the story of this entire set.

Jade is not a fast deck at all

Jeez people, not everything that wins games is "fast", Jade is either solidly midrange (Shaman) or one of the slowest decks in the game (Druid). Also shaman jade is going to slow down further due to losing Tunnel Trogg *and* Totem Gilem with zero replacements

Man i'm moving dragon priest to wild but i have no idea what to swap for the only card i feel is worth adding (velen's chosen, and a lightbomb probly), my deck has a lot of low drops but u need that in wild bc patches , i guess i need to sacrifice some late game but damn.

el oh el the top rated wild dragon priest on google plays medivh gtfo of here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom