• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Well, with that list you haven`t played anything next gen at all. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I´m just surprised anyone would call HD2 "truly next gen" at this point when we`ve actually gotten a few real visual showcases over the last years.

Just out of curiosity and no offense intended, what is next gen about this game for you? I mean even a cross-gen game like HFW is faaaar ahead of HD2 in most visual aspects, not even because of the tech but simply because the budget difference absolutely shows in the asset quality f.e. And even the scope isn`t exactly next gen if you`ve ever seen games like Battlefield or Planetside.

Okay I’ll dial my comment back a little. It’s not THE best looking game I’ve ever seen but I think it’s up there visually for sure. I think the character models are crazy detailed. The cloth physics on the cape are awesome. I think it has really good HDR implementation. The animations are subpar though of course, which gives away its low budget.

You know when you really like a game and you’re playing it so much, you start to think the graphics are the best thing since sliced bread? Even if they’re trash, the game just sort of grows on you visually.

Same thing happened to Oblivion with me when I played it again like 10 years later. Same thing happened with Elden Ring. It just happened to me recently with Morrowind albeit I was playing with MGE XE mod.

I think it’s also this monitor. The G9 OLED makes every game look so damn good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Most amazing mission yet. Hard on the moon biome, having to destroy eggs. It was nails. Time ran out and there was no more strats. we were getting over run. 4 minutes for extraction. Slowly one by one we got picked off. Had to just break off and every man for themselves.

4 minutes of insanity! I managed to make it on the ship as the only survivor we were all screaming like little girls. This is the best co op game, and a damn right absolutely incredible game. Like incredible.

Amazing shit!

Rockman33

Just bought and booted this up on my PC. Am I dumb or does this game really not have DLSS 2?

I feel like every other game that ships without this gets shit on, yet I haven’t heard anything about the absence of DLSS.

Well, with that list you haven`t played anything next gen at all. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I´m just surprised anyone would call HD2 "truly next gen" at this point when we`ve actually gotten a few real visual showcases over the last years.

Just out of curiosity and no offense intended, what is next gen about this game for you? I mean even a cross-gen game like HFW is faaaar ahead of HD2 in most visual aspects, not even because of the tech but simply because the budget difference absolutely shows in the asset quality f.e. And even the scope isn`t exactly next gen if you`ve ever seen games like Battlefield or Planetside.

Here’s a video of how it looks on my end. Don’t think it uploaded in HDR for some reason though. This is ultra settings at native. I feel like most people are using ultra quality for resolution and i think it looks horrible. It’s not DLSS. Some proprietary solution from the devs. I think native is the way to go if you can tolerate the lower frames.

stickkidsam

Okay I’ll dial my comment back a little. It’s not THE best looking game I’ve ever seen but I think it’s up there visually for sure. I think the character models are crazy detailed. The cloth physics on the cape are awesome. I think it has really good HDR implementation. The animations are subpar though of course, which gives away its low budget.

You know when you really like a game and you’re playing it so much, you start to think the graphics are the best thing since sliced bread? Even if they’re trash, the game just sort of grows on you visually.

Same thing happened to Oblivion with me when I played it again like 10 years later. Same thing happened with Elden Ring. It just happened to me recently with Morrowind albeit I was playing with MGE XE mod.

I think it’s also this monitor. The G9 OLED makes every game look so damn good.
The game is absolutely beautiful. Is it THE best game out there in graphical power? No. The art style and implementation are stellar though!

The game is a visual treat with tons of enemies on screen, foliage, blood, and destruction; all while you and your team launch 380mm orbital barrages sponsored by RAID! All of this while running at a smooth 60FPS and that’s just on PS5. And the explosions. HOLY SHIT THE EXPLOSIONS!! The smoke plumes are soft and the fires of democracy are bright! It’s enough to make Madam Liberty cry.

The result of everything this game successfully brings together puts it way up there for this generation in my book.

DeaDPo0L84

Game is seriously in such a garbage state. I know the devs are being super responsive and trying their hardest to rectify things but this is insane. Pretty much the two biggest components of the game aren't working properly. That would be the servers and rewards post mission completion, these two things not working pretty much give zero reason to play. I am being patient as are others but this is a bit ridiculous at this point. The core of the game is amazing and it could have really long legs moving forward, but that can be cut from under them if this isn't fixed asap.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Anyone else turned off by the price? Like the game looks cool but I feel like it being half price means it’s super short or shallow. Can someone talk me off the ledge?
Turned off? I feel like I’ve got the bargain of the century and I bought the super citizen edition. Happy to pay “full” price for this. Most fun I’ve had in a long time.
Jesus this game is just incredible when you get a full squad with mic that act like an actual nerd military squad.
eric cartman GIF by South Park

“Throwing an orbital strike, stand back”

I imagine it is amazing with a fully commed up squad and it would make a huge difference on harder difficulties.

Kappa

Game is seriously in such a garbage state. I know the devs are being super responsive and trying their hardest to rectify things but this is insane. Pretty much the two biggest components of the game aren't working properly. That would be the servers and rewards post mission completion, these two things not working pretty much give zero reason to play. I am being patient as are others but this is a bit ridiculous at this point. The core of the game is amazing and it could have really long legs moving forward, but that can be cut from under them if this isn't fixed asap.
Literally just said fuck this game. Disconnected twice in a row right at the end of 30min game. Great game but cant reccomended anyone buy rn ngl if it hadnt gotten off gmg i wouldve refunded just now

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Purchased 50 minutes ago. Installed, and I dispensed my first bit of democracy (in training). Going solo. I know death is coming forr me...😅 my ship is SES Spear Of Freedom
Well, I picked fenir and completed my objectives. Legged it for extraction. Freedddoommm!!!

Belthazar

Does anybody know if Steam does refunds on the basis of server malfunctioning and repeated crashes after the 2 hours period? This has been a complete disaster for too long now, I kinda want my money back.

Last edited:
Are you guys that are getting disconnected playing on PC or PS5? Apart from two crashes now I haven't had any disconnects on PS5. The only issue I have been hit with is the failed to join lobby error but I just keep trying and eventually get in. Once I'm in a game it's perfect.

I think it’s also this monitor. The G9 OLED makes every game look so damn good.compare
well in the end taste is always a heavy factor, but purely from a technical perspective... I mean, if you think these models are crazy detailed you must faint when you see some of the CP2077 or HFW models and the environments are reaaaally low detail/complexity compared to those games, too. Compare pretty much any asset from your vid with any recent AAA blockbuster and there are worlds in between. I still think you simply lack perspective as to what`s possible on newer hardware with games that are actually targeted at a bit higher specs with some budget behind them.
Just go on youtube and watch a few snippets of CP2077 Phantom Liberty in Overdrive mode f.e.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Angel's Venture needs you!
Guys, we need to spread Democracy on this damn planet, forget about the other planets and forget about the Automatons. We only have little time (32 hours?) left to complete the mission.

Honestly I keep seeing the percentage creep up and then it just randomly dumps like 5% back down.

It feels like there delaying the completion either because the next step of the war was not ready yet as it was supposed to last a full week, or because they planned that we would lose.

They never expected the playerbase to be so high, so logically if this amount of players is hardly clearing the content in the week allowed they planned to have the original estimated playerbase lose this first push.

It's been 3 days now that it was "close" to being cleared, but it just keeps dumping full percentages at random, not a small trickle at a time like you would see with natural mission failures.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Hmmmm im torn on this. Game is super fun, but i've encountered loads of crashes and bugs that are starting to grate. Game could be a 9/10 but as it stands its a 7, tops.

Hopefully they sort the issues out with a patch or 3.

Mikado

Picked this up on Steam today. After a brief moment where I almost rage-refunded immediately over the PSN Account requirement (I was having a day - I got over it), I'm glad I persevered. This is likely to be my jam.

From the brief couple of solo missions I did though it is abundantly clear how multiplayer-focused it is: The slow-assed movement, the excruciatingly slow reload times - it feels more crunchily tactical than some supposedly milsim games I've played. This is not a criticism :messenger_heart:

Apparently it has cross-play : can you add cross-platform friends?

Anyway SteamGaf, hook me up : 10453592

The running, wait for stamina to recharge (don’t forget to take your thumb off the stick so it actually recharges), then run some more traversal is the death of this for me. That, and the inability to dodge, that is

On ps5 when you press L1 and open the stratagem menu and a stratagem is "READY", how do you deploy it ? When the button sequence to summon them isnt visible in the menu?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Got a glitch today in which the frame rate would tank to seemingly 15fps until I restarted the game (PS5). Not sure what caused it, but it happened two times.

Aside from that I love how the game changes enemies and throws new things at you on higher difficulties.

Only time I've crashed on PC was when I was alt-tabbing a lot. Aside from that it's been smooth sailing, but I've only been duoing with a friend and not matchmaking at all.

On that note, duo squads on Suicide Mission difficulty is extremely hectic. So many bug breaches...

Killjoy-NL

Yeah my squad had to call it for the night.

It was really weird because we’ve had fairly good luck with the game until now. Even today was fine up until an hour ago. Each time we joined back on the mission someone would disconnect within minutes.
Maybe servers are just being hammered non-stop.

Would make sense, as I expect word of mouth going fast and the game just keeps on selling.

Didn't they have server capacity of 200K, with peak 360K players across PS and PC?
They increased server capacity to 360K, but they likely already passed that.

Guess the game is taking off way beyond their expectations and they try to catch up.

Talk about being a victim of your own success. Lol

Completed a mission on challenging against automatons. Me and 3 randoms. No verbal communication. We split up into two duos. Each duo supporting each other. We 100% the map without saying a word.
Good stuff.

Regarding weapons. The Breaker shotgun is no doubt the best. It excels in everything. It can kill anything that's isn't heavily armored really fast.
I just unlocked the liberator penetrator and it's garbage. Forty medals down the drain.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Completed a mission on challenging against automatons. Me and 3 randoms. No verbal communication. We split up into two duos. Each duo supporting each other. We 100% the map without saying a word.
Good stuff.
I feel this is the best way to casually play the game.
Challenging difficulty offers enough challenge to create some tense moments, while not requiring too much attention.

I've been playing this game almost strictly on Portal and with my girl sitting next to me and the kids at home, I don't have to worry too much about sweaty games.

Thinking about switching to Hard though, as challenging becomes kinda boring. Especially since more people get past the basic strategems, so there's a lot more firepower and support.

Last edited:
I feel this is the best way to casually play the game.
Challenging difficulty offers enough challenge to create some tense moments, while not requiring too much attention.

I've been playing this game almost strictly on Portal and with my girl sitting next to me and the kids at home, I don't have to worry too much about sweaty games.

Thinking about switching to Hard though, as challenging becomes kinda boring. Especially since more people get past the basic strategems, so there's a lot more firepower and support.
True. Lower difficulty levels feel trivial as you progress. My first experience with automatons on medium was a nightmare. Now it's a walk in the park. Challenging is starting to feel tame.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well I have got everything upgraded to lvl 2 on the ship, the increased turret capacity is a god send, really helps on those higher diffculty where bugs are essentially thrown at you non-stop.

Currently farming super uranium on impossible diffculty as you get 5 per run and Helldive is well... Helldive. Going for turret turn rate and then extra bombing capacity for aircraft before getting faster reload on orbital strikes, then it's likely drop pod steering and then the other two whenever for the level 3 upgrades.

They take a ton of regular resources too which you just don't have time to hunt around for on impossible. Your looking for the Silver Uranium ballsack they spawn at, grabbing the loot and then getting the hell out. You just don't have the ammo to engage, so everyone rocks recon armor and avoids bugs unless absolutely nessary, the stealth railgun nerf made sure of that.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Well I have got everything upgraded to lvl 2 on the ship, the increased turret capacity is a god send, really helps on those higher diffculty where bugs are essentially thrown at you non-stop.

Currently farming super uranium on impossible diffculty as you get 5 per run and Helldive is well... Helldive. Going for turret turn rate and then extra bombing capacity for aircraft before getting faster reload on orbital strikes, then it's likely drop pod steering and then the other two whenever for the level 3 upgrades.

They take a ton of regular resources too which you just don't have time to hunt around for on impossible. Your looking for the Silver Uranium ballsack they spawn at, grabbing the loot and then getting the hell out. You just don't have the ammo to engage, so everyone rocks recon armor and avoids bugs unless absolutely nessary, the stealth railgun nerf made sure of that.

Which ship upgrades do you recommend getting first?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Has anyone had it when you arm a stratagem tactically in waiting while moving to another position and a teammate bumps in to you and it drops from your hand? Happened to me and I’m fairly sure I did not hit R2 to throw it. It just dropped from my hand and the strike came in on top of us 😅. Had to apologise and say I didn’t mean that at all, but just a word of warning that I think armed stratagems can get bumped from your hand.

Killjoy-NL

Has anyone had it when you arm a stratagem tactically in waiting while moving to another position and a teammate bumps in to you and it drops from your hand? Happened to me and I’m fairly sure I did not hit R2 to throw it. It just dropped from my hand and the strike came in on top of us 😅. Had to apologise and say I didn’t mean that at all, but just a word of warning that I think armed stratagems can get bumped from your hand.
Yeah, I had something similar happen to me when calling in a barrage.
Could've sworn that I tripped while trying to climb out of a crater to get a better position before throwing.

Obviously, I died. Lol

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I think what's utterly fascinating about Helldivers is it sort of goes against the conventional "don't kill/sacrifice your teammates" rule that's a common spoken/unspoken rule in a lot of games.

There's an on the fly cold blooded calculated risk/reward mentality that you need to actually succeed in some missions. We were about to get stomped by a swarm, but then I saw a hellbomb sitting on the ground near where I was going to die - so I chose to shoot it to take out a huge swarm with an objective Bile Titans at the cost of myself and couple of my teammates lives to clear the horde chasing your team around in circles can be worthwhile to get your team focused on the objectives again.

So far, the absolute worst way to play is to endlessly fight the bugs and having them chase you around, eating up time while the primary objectives are still on the board. Unfortunately so many public players get distracted by fighting the bugs and stop working towards the objectives.

Finish the primary objectives first and the rest becomes pretty much bonus time. You can literally wipe and it will still count your sacrifice in the books so long as you complete the objectives.

Subconsciously I think this is the closest thing to a 40k guardsman simulator I've ever played. Nothing quite like staring down a swarm armed with nothing but a flashlight.

Varteras

I think what's utterly fascinating about Helldivers is it sort of goes against the conventional "don't kill/sacrifice your teammates" rule that's a common spoken/unspoken rule in a lot of games.

There's an on the fly cold blooded calculated risk/reward mentality that you need to actually succeed in some missions. We were about to get stomped by a swarm, but then I saw a hellbomb sitting on the ground near where I was going to die - so I chose to shoot it to take out a huge swarm with an objective Bile Titans at the cost of myself and couple of my teammates lives to clear the horde chasing your team around in circles can be worthwhile to get your team focused on the objectives again.

So far, the absolute worst way to play is to endlessly fight the bugs and having them chase you around, eating up time while the primary objectives are still on the board. Unfortunately so many public players get distracted by fighting the bugs and stop working towards the objectives.

Finish the primary objectives first and the rest becomes pretty much bonus time. You can literally wipe and it will still count your sacrifice in the books so long as you complete the objectives.

Subconsciously I think this is the closest thing to a 40k guardsman simulator I've ever played. Nothing quite like staring down a swarm armed with nothing but a flashlight.

Yeah I've had to break myself of the idea that my life matters. I'm getting to a point where I'll just start throwing caution to the wind and make any sacrifice I need to win. Even if that means killing my friends.

Oh, we're talking about Helldivers? Right! Yeah...

Last edited:
Top Bottom