• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PSN: Psyko_Dad

Just a heads-up:
I tend to play with my mic muted due to my gf yapping in my ear and a 7 month old baby making noise in the background. Lol
Haha. Similar-ish problems here, but I have been using the push-to-talk feature (which is always fantastic!). I mapped it to R3. Now I just hold it when I need to say something and then it goes on mute again.

P.S. Added!

Last edited:

#miller

On ps5 when you press L1 and open the stratagem menu and a stratagem is "READY", how do you deploy it ? When the button sequence to summon them isnt visible in the menu?
Hey, you should press R2 after the "READY" prompt to throw it somewhere.
For me it sometimes resets the promt as if I am letting go of L1. Very weird and I couldn't make out what I do wrong :(

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And we thank you. I end up muting basically everyone because of breathing and slurping noises. I don’t know what people are doing with their mics.
But muting kind of defeats the purpose. It's a very team-based game because of limited ammos and Strategems -- especially on higher difficulties (which are also important to collect rare samples).

Push-to-talk for the win! Everybody needs to use it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Which ship upgrades do you recommend getting first?

I will preface this with depending on diffculty/playstyle your milage will vary, but some upgrades are indeed just amazing compared to others, all 3 of the hanger bay are just leagues better then the bonuses you get elsewhere, especially the lvl 2 and 3, and with Clusterbomb and Airstrike being so useful early/midgame, getting lvl 2 of that first would be my solid recommend, you switch Airstrike out for 500KG bomb on suicide mission + so there usefully all the way through.

Outside the final level 3 the orbital upgrades are just not worth it. The most useful are the precision strike you start with and the shrapnel strike you can unlock, the issue both are inferior versions of the bombing run and cluster bomb of the aircraft. Endgame people take the railgun strike and orbital laser (which is shared across the whole team and can only be used 3 times per mission) so the 10% cooldown will be useful at lvl 3, but the other upgrades prior to the final one are essentially useless. So endgame you see alot of one person taking orbital laser and orbital railgun, with everyone else taking orbital railgun and a mix of 500kg or clusterbomb and the other two callins a mix of equipment/turrets.

I would say the lvl 1 upgrades from the bottom 2 robotics are nice, but the really useful ones at lvl 2 and 3 require uranium, so you can't get the good stuff until endgame.

I would say the lvl 2 coms stuff is good, the radar range is super useful once you get the hang of using the map during missions, the additional range let's you avoid patrols you normally wouldn't see.

The lvl 1 terminal upgrade so your heavy weapon drops have full ammo on pickup will never not be useful either.

This is of course what I feel is "meta" So I would naturally push back and say, just get and use what you think is cool, it's your game after all.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Haha. Similar-ish problems here, but I have been using the push-to-talk feature (which is always fantastic!). I mapped it to R3. Now I just hold it when I need to say something and then it goes on mute again.

P.S. Added!
Lol yeah, it also helps that the button for the mic on the Portal/Dualsense is pretty easy to reach with your thumb.

I mostly use it to tell people to fall back when I call in a barrage or drop a Tesla Tower (amazing strategem, but it's deadly for the team as well if you don't know you have to go prone if you need to be near it. Lol).

And we thank you. I end up muting basically everyone because of breathing and slurping noises. I don’t know what people are doing with their mics.
Lol ikr.

Hate to be "that guy".

True. Lower difficulty levels feel trivial as you progress. My first experience with automatons on medium was a nightmare. Now it's a walk in the park. Challenging is starting to feel tame.
I really wonder what happens when new "Warbond" is released next month. I hope they scale the difficulty levels appropriately. When fully equipped with all the gear, only the final couple of levels present a real challenge. For me, this game will be addicting AF for a long time as long as the challenge is there

Also, it is kind of annoying getting paired with people who are fully leveled up(20-25) for difficulty levels meant for levels 7-8. It sucks when teammates are extremely overpowered compared to you

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was really trying to avoid being one of those pieces of shit son of bitch but I finally played this and had to pause playing infinite wealth. Got past tutorial and played a few missions and other a couple of times that the room was full and I couldn't connect, the game is so legitimately fun and just has the right look and feel. I can see if this gets reasonable support that this could have some reasonable legs and also just a very fun yet challenging enough following.

They just couldn't have nailed the evolution of the first game to this anymore. There's a little bit of quality of life things I'm sure they could fix but this absolutely exceeded my expectations and I loved the first game. I'm not looking for reasons to praise as this is probably one of the more interesting games to me even over big AAA games from any company. You either have this formula where it's fun and you see the potential kind of akin to Super acrobatic rocket powered battle cars going to the sequel rocket league. You just knew there was something there that if they evolved it and expanded it enough that it would find the audience that it really deserved.

I'm really happy for Arrowhead who have really earned this success and honestly have had a pretty reasonable track record at least going back to Magicka 1 (not 2 lol).

Whatever the relationship Sony has had was this developer, they've clearly cultivated and encouraged them enough to make the game that they could truly make. This is how you naturally step up and prove yourself and are giving bigger opportunities similar to what other developers for Sony have done. I think based on this, you could arguably either make another game of this style or give them another shot at something even bigger similar to housemarque.

I really wonder what happens when new "Warbond" is released next month. I hope they scale the difficulty levels appropriately. When fully equipped with all the gear, only the final couple of levels present a real challenge. For me, this game will be addicting AF for a long time as long as the challenge is there

Also, it is kind of annoying getting paired with people who are fully leveled up(20-25) for difficulty levels meant for levels 7-8. It sucks when teammates are extremely overpowered compared to you
I find there's an extremely small difference in gear levels.. weapons are basically all the same.
The real level difference comes from experience.. WHEN to use what strategem, and how to be most effective. Not from gear upgrades.

30 mins into a hard mission with a few buddies having cleared 100% of the map and it disconnects me ~1 min before extraction.
This game is so much fun when it works, but the technical issues are really getting to me...
Gonna put this game on hold for a few weeks to give the devs more time with the serves, this happens way too often to be ignored.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So, found out today that you can 1-shot those big bulky poison-spitting Terminids with a headshot when using the anti-material rifle.

No idea why I didn't even try until just now.
Figured it's big green body would be its weak spot.

So much ammo and time wasted....

You focus on the head with those unless it's the tier 3 version which gains heavy armor plate so need higher pen weapons like the railgun, they also gain the ability to shoot globs of ooze artillary style from it's ass. They are one of the biggest threats in the higher tiers as they can easily melt your diver once they get you in range, and their hardly slow for their size.

One of the reasons I'm still rocking the minigun turret at endgame, it punches through them like no other.

Last edited:
Just got another new update on PS5. 1.759GB

We have issued a patch for PC and PS5 players to address general stability (crashes) and stuttering, Defend Events, and matchmaking.
Did this work for people on PS5? Getting excited to play every night only to be hit with constant issues is getting rather annoying.

Killjoy-NL

You focus on the head with those unless it's the tier 3 version which gains heavy armor plate so need higher pen weapons like the railgun, they also gain the ability to shoot globs of ooze artillary style from it's ass. They are one of the biggest threats in the higher tiers as they can easily melt your diver once they get you in range, and their hardly slow for their size.

One of the reasons I'm still rocking the minigun turret at endgame, it punches through them like no other.
What's the Tier 3 version?

R6Rider

Gold Member

My first encounter with those a few nights ago threw me for a loop. Was confused at what was hitting me from so far away.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Cool, might try that out next.

Tried Hard instead of Challenging just now, but for some reason it seems easier.
Might just be that people are better at the game.
Extreme for me and my usual squad has been the biggest ramp up so far. Game throws LOTS of enemies at you from their call ins and also throws new variations at you as mentioned above.

The biggest thing is the modifiers though. You can have scrambled stratagems, slower cooldown on stratagems, limited loadouts, etc.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What's the Tier 3 version?

Essentially it's a spitter but with a spiky armored head and with hard carapace going up the middle of it's back. Unlike the regular versions you can just headshot with basic weapons these ones make your bullets bounce. They also rear their ass up and spew a glob of green liquid like a morter causing high damage and slow if hit.

They tend to snow up on the last 3 difficulties, but iv has then at diffculty 6 too.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is the Super Citizen Upgrade worth the $20? Loving this game and I’m tempted.
For me it was. I upgraded two days after release because of how much fun it was. Wanted to support the devs.

If you don't care about the special cosmetics then you can earn the premium currency in game anyway.

FUBARx89

Just got another new update on PS5. 1.759GB

We have issued a patch for PC and PS5 players to address general stability (crashes) and stuttering, Defend Events, and matchmaking.

Does it fix the annoying glitch where the game decreases to like spiderman into the spiderverse framerate. Had to kill the game a few times last night because of it. PS5.

Does anyone know if I buy the battlepass if the medals are shared between free track and normal?

Mobilemofo

I spread ample democracy to angels venture last night. Accidently ended up in a co-op with two others, and democratised them too..😅 love friendly fire.

Imtjnotu

Does it fix the annoying glitch where the game decreases to like spiderman into the spiderverse framerate. Had to kill the game a few times last night because of it. PS5.

Does anyone know if I buy the battlepass if the medals are shared between free track and normal?
To be honest, I haven't had that happen on my ps5 and I tend to play in quality mode. Even on performance I didn't have stuttering.

I did however happen to get stuck in the cryo tube area multiple damn times

Mobilemofo

PSN : Brian_of_the_pfj

I'm rank 2, but previously smashed the OG Helldivers. Getting used to strategems again. Primarily prefer solo, and have been smashing it, but will play co-op periodically. I am very much a team player, and happy to participate in "accidental" friendly fire. 😅

Top Bottom