• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

GymWolf

Gold Member
I forgot this dude existed. Used to dig his stuff, but I've long since gotten over the whole angry schtick (this guy, angry joe, jimquisition)
You can add that irish dude who try his best to be the critical drinker of videogames review.

stickkidsam

Is the Super Citizen Upgrade worth the $20? Loving this game and I’m tempted.
I think it’s a decent little chunk of goodies.

It gives you a stratagem arcade mini game to kill time with on your ship. Great for the downtime between missions with your buddies. You also get a 3 shot burst weapon, armor, and the title of SUPER CITIZEN; none of which is significantly better than what ya earn in game, but still fun to use.

Beyond that though I’d say it is worth it if ya just wanna support the devs.

chixdiggit

IS there a reason why many people on gaf trust this absolute idiot?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the whole P2W take is just not factual.
  • The "Premium" battle pass can be unlocked for free by just playing the game
  • Super Credits just get you cosmetics as far as I can tell
  • The "Premium" battle pass weapons are really no better than the other unlockable weapons just different

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the whole P2W take is just not factual.
  • The "Premium" battle pass weapons are really no better than the other unlockable weapons just different
Yep. I can't believe people are complaining about the P2W elements. I think Helldivers is one of the BEST examples of how live-service games should handle battlepasses.

I'm on level 11 and have played for ~16-18 hours only. I have almost 900 Super Credits just by playing the game (no purchases at all). I need 1,000 to unlock the battle pass for free.

1) the game isn't P2W.
2) it gives you lots of super credits if you just play the game.
3) there is no unnecessary grind.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yep. I can't believe people are complaining about the P2W elements. I think Helldivers is one of the BEST examples of how live-service games should handle battlepasses.

I'm on level 11 and have played for ~16-18 hours only. I have almost 900 Super Credits just by playing the game (no purchases at all). I need 1,000 to unlock the battle pass for free.

1) the game isn't P2W.
2) it gives you lots of super credits if you just play the game.
3) there is no unnecessary grind.
4) all the weapons in the premium warbound are side-upgrade at best, hell the automatic shotgun is probably better than any weapon in that warbound.

Explosive rounds do jack shit against armours if you don't aim to weakspots and flame rounds can set you on fire if the enemy doesn't die and it touch you.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

The first premium pass should be easy for anyone to unlock for free 'cause you get to 750ish in the basic one, so finding another 250 SCs is going to be no trouble. I'm currently on 990 after spending a couple of afternoons in Trivial solo missions clearing the map alone hunting SCs and basic samples for the ship upgrades... dumb stuff I probably don't need to bother doing but, eh.

The current premium pass has 300 credits available in it so if these things are going to come once a month it might be a challenge to keep on top of things enough to earn another 700 each time by just playing. But again, doable if you don't play anything else and put the hours in. For me it'll mean skipping some or spending occasionally. I'm sure the store offerings will get tastier over time, too.

It can only be the perks on the armour people are moaning about, but it's not such a big deal that anyone should ever consider it P2W - it's basically just fine tuning.

Last edited:
Did this work for people on PS5? Getting excited to play every night only to be hit with constant issues is getting rather annoying.
Still getting failed to join game lobby after the patch. According to the Discord the patch only lays the foundation for a future patch to fix the matchmaking issues not actually fix them.

You eventually get in if you just keep retrying but it is a pain in the ass. Luckily the game is awesome fun once you do get in otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I'm really enjoying playing solo. Easy/trivial, thus far, periodically getting killed. 😅 They are like flies on shit..me being the shit ..the pressure, immediate and quite intense. 😅

8fu53o.jpg

Gaelyon

Can you play with only a friend or two (invite only) not bothering with open party, and is the matchmaking problems become irrelevant then ? (on PS5)

Can you play with only a friend or two (invite only) not bothering with open party, and is the matchmaking problems become irrelevant then ? (on PS5)
You can set matchmaking to Friends Only and play with anywhere from 1 to 3 friends from your list. Game has a really convenient menu. If you set to Friends Only, no randos can hop into your party.

I think it’s a decent little chunk of goodies.

It gives you a stratagem arcade mini game to kill time with on your ship. Great for the downtime between missions with your buddies. You also get a 3 shot burst weapon, armor, and the title of SUPER CITIZEN; none of which is significantly better than what ya earn in game, but still fun to use.

Beyond that though I’d say it is worth it if ya just wanna support the devs.

Hm I bought this but actually not sure if I got that rifle and haven’t seen the arcade mini game in the ship yet. Will have to look for that.

I know I definitely got the armor though.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Anyone still getting frame rate issues even after the update? I get through one mission no issues…back to the ship and it’s like a fucking flip book.

panda-zebra

So after playing a lot and only having 2 crashes now all of a sudden I'm crashing all the time. Playing on PS5. What have they done :(
I've not had crashes recently, is it dumping you out of the game while playing? I've twice had a black screen with player names bottom left and spinning circle bottom right waiting to get back to the ship. 2nd time it happened gave it 15 minutes before switching off.

stickkidsam

Hm I bought this but actually not sure if I got that rifle and haven’t seen the arcade mini game in the ship yet. Will have to look for that.

I know I definitely got the armor though.
Weird. My brother upgraded to the Super Citizen edition and he’s got it now.

The stratagem arcade is the machine to the right of the cryopod stairs. It’s off unless ya get the Super Citizen bundle.

The rifle is called the “Knight” if I remember right and it’s an SMG.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

They aren't. Like I keep seeing this brought up and it's just easily verifiable by going into the battlepass and seeing that there are options in the premium that just are not available elsewhere. Like sure, the game is on the fair side of "P2W" but the fact remains you can immediately pay to start unlocking more varied weapons, while someone on the F2P path first has to grind out the SC's to do so.

also anyone got any tips on how to make it easier to quickplay? every game fails to join

There is no solution because the system isn't designed for the number of players on the game. So your only option is to either host your own game (and let the other scrubs join you) or just keep spamming the QP button until you get into a group (you are essentially, as I understand it, competing with others for available groups so that's why you're getting the failed and why it isn't consistently - could be 10 tries could be 1, all depends on the number of people trying for that exact group that the game says is available).

IS there a reason why many people on gaf trust this absolute idiot?

. . .their SNOWRUNNER video is one of the greatest examples of "This Game Is Terrible Because I'm A Terrible Gamer" you'll ever see. The comments dragging them were also fantastic if I recall.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

So after playing a lot and only having 2 crashes now all of a sudden I'm crashing all the time. Playing on PS5. What have they done :(
What's happened here is they have expanded the servers to take around 365,000 Helldivers, and they actually needed a server to take 366,000. As a result, she canne take the strain captain..

The Stig

yeah so ive been trying to play this game for an hour. just like yesterday. always fails to join.

ive joined the discord server but where the FUCK do i complain about the fact I cant play my game?

The Stig

They aren't. Like I keep seeing this brought up and it's just easily verifiable by going into the battlepass and seeing that there are options in the premium that just are not available elsewhere. Like sure, the game is on the fair side of "P2W" but the fact remains you can immediately pay to start unlocking more varied weapons, while someone on the F2P path first has to grind out the SC's to do so.

There is no solution because the system isn't designed for the number of players on the game. So your only option is to either host your own game (and let the other scrubs join you) or just keep spamming the QP button until you get into a group (you are essentially, as I understand it, competing with others for available groups so that's why you're getting the failed and why it isn't consistently - could be 10 tries could be 1, all depends on the number of people trying for that exact group that the game says is available).

. . .their SNOWRUNNER video is one of the greatest examples of "This Game Is Terrible Because I'm A Terrible Gamer" you'll ever see. The comments dragging them were also fantastic if I recall.
also him crapping on the arkham games.

I like his opinion in general but he hates on anything that is easier to play with a controller

I've only been able to play an hour, but my friend has been playing it allot and keeps saying it gets really hard. How true is this? Kinda killing my excitement to get back in.

Weird. My brother upgraded to the Super Citizen edition and he’s got it now.

The stratagem arcade is the machine to the right of the cryopod stairs. It’s off unless ya get the Super Citizen bundle.

The rifle is called the “Knight” if I remember right and it’s an SMG.

Ooo I did get the knight.

I definitely have the arcade then. I’ll have to check tonight.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've only been able to play an hour, but my friend has been playing it allot and keeps saying it gets really hard. How true is this? Kinda killing my excitement to get back in.
It depends. If you move up the difficulty, it can get very hard, but there are numerous difficulty options, like 8-9 IIRC. You can play at 1-2-3, and it'd be mostly a piece of cake, especially with other players.

Also, as you level up, you unlock more powerful stratagems and weapons, which make the game relatively easier (and more fun!) to play and enable you to tackle more challenging difficulties.

It is not like a Souls game if you're worried about that. It gives you plenty of varying difficulty options.

Last edited:
I was going to buy it on PC, but it looks like it will be PS5 only. Not installing a rootkit on my PC, unless the developer is dropping thousands of dollars in my bank account.

Ywap

It will be interesting to see which of the two new GAAS games can keep the player base.

Will Suicide Squads end-game completely destroy Helldivers 2 with itś big budget or can Helldivers survive the onslaught and keep the players?

Last edited:
Top Bottom