• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

cebri.one

Balancing a game is always the hardest part.

I hope they just raise the difficulty or introduce new harder enemies and buff everything instead of just nerfing the breaker, the rail gun and the shield bubble (the superior defensive backpack).
That’s going to be the hardest part moving forward. I wouldn’t rule out wipes. IMO a good way would be to add weapon costumization and roll back a little bit the number of medals awarded.

cebri.one

Helldivers 2 is starting to dip on Steam. The zeitgeist is ending. Queue up headlines folks.
bAtt3Tu.jpg

Probably over 500K today. Yesterday the CCU bottomed out at 136K today at 176K.

v8dqeDi.jpg
It's going to really dumb when people start saying "I told you so" when the numbers inevitably come down. It's PvE game. I don't know a single co-op PvE game that sustains crazy high CCU numbers on a year around basis. They need new content to bring players back. HD2 has a strong enough gameplay loop where I could see 80-100k CCU peaks on steam when it settles after launch, inbetween content drops. That would be a massive success

And, I wouldn't be surprised down the road if 750k-1mil peaks are possible when big expansions are added. Arrowhead is almost surely sitting on a new enemy faction and that alone would create crazy interest a few months from now

Last edited:
Difficulty unlocks are still glitched for myself and thousands of others. What a shitshow. This is probably the most broken at launch I have ever seen a game.

Ive seen lots of randoms suggesting this after completing missions, but not CAMPAIGNS.

Nah there are thousands of people in their discord with this issue, they have 8 threads for people to post their info just in case they have to go back to manually unlocking difficulties. That number of threads keeps going up, seems like there’s a new one every day because they hit the max number of users.

For example I’m stuck on Easy, I can’t go past it. There aren’t campaigns on easy, they are all one mission.

yurinka

Helldivers 2 is starting to dip on Steam. The zeitgeist is ending. Queue up headlines folks.
Nah, when they did reach new records CCUs yesterday something else new got saturated (I bet it's the database) and made the game constantly crash during peak hours.

Other than that, login, matchmaking and rewards seem pretty much fixed. Meaning, once they fix whatever caused these crashed they'll be able to continue growing more.

Is this worth buying to play with others? Im an old man but I kick ass and wonder if I should buy it playing solo
I often play solo, and there are videos of players completing missions solo in the hardest difficulty (Helldive).

Each mission -procedurally generated, there aren't fixed missions- has like 9 different (unlockable) difficulty levels. You can complete them alone, it's ok but more challenging (still easy in the easy difficulty levels). But it's easier and more fun when played both with random users or friends.

Communication helps to make it easier and more fun, but you can perfectly play with zero communication or even the sound off. Yesterday I was playing with the game muted while listening the Capcom Cup.

As you keep increasing the difficulty level there are more enemies at the same time and new enemy types appear. There are "samples", some currency types you collect by exploring the map. Higher difficulty levels also means more samples available to be found in each level, and some sample types are only found in harder difficulty levels.

With these samples you buy ship upgrades, which are passive skills that make your life easier. Stuff like detecting enemies from a larger distance, reduce the cooldown from the key stuff you "summon" (special weapons, turrets, ammo...) and so on.

Higher difficulty also means more rewards for competing missions: medals to unlock weapons, armors, emotes, victory poses, profile backgrounds or cosmetic helmets or capes. Currency to unlock "summonable" (stratagems) stuff like orbital strikes from your ship, eagle strikes from support planes, special weapons, shields, support drones or even a jetpack. Stratagems and ship upgrades can be unlocked when you reach certain XP level: higher difficulty also means faster XP increase.

All the mission rewards and collectables are sent to all squad members independently of their performance. There's not even MVP rewards here, or players stealing your loot. Every player gets the same. You can play solo, but playing coop means you'll have more time (missions are time limited) to make more secondary missions, kill more enemies and achieve more secondary targets, so to get better rewards in each missions, and will make the harder difficulty levels more affordable.

Last edited:

DoomGyver

I got the platinum this morning before work. I hope they add more (fun) trophies. Like ragdoll from an explosion x amount of meters. Or kill 100 Bile Titans. Stim x amount of teammates. and so on.

cebri.one

I got the platinum this morning before work. I hope they add more (fun) trophies. Like ragdoll from an explosion x amount of meters. Or kill 100 Bile Titans. Stim x amount of teammates. and so on.

The thing is, you can see they never expected this many people to play, and play so much in a such short period of time. My guess is they had to tweak even the "liberation" percentages because with 700K players we would have liberated everything by now xD

So they need to adjust trophies, progression, etc. to a new target. I think it will stabilize at 100-150K users combined after the hype has died out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

panda-zebra

I'd be nice if there was a auto-fill switch so we don't have to end up dropping into games where everyone is already overrun and people have sulked off for whatever reason, but give an incentive for those that do. Not right now, there's far higher priority things, but just at some point. Had a run of joining in-progress games that were just a waste of time, everything just has a better chance of going well when 4 drop in together.

yurinka

Yep, might even go near 550,000. Posted this in the other thread a few hours ago.
Maybe another day, but I think today they'll have similar numbers to yesterday, when at peak hours the game crashed constantly because it was saturating something else new.

Even if they had people working last night and today (Saturday) to solve these crashes, I assume they won't be able to have it researched, fixed and released in PS+PC for today. Even if in the maybe unrealistic case of them having achieved that and even having the iron balls of raising the CCU limit more beyond what they had yesterday, I assume they might achieve still under 500K in PC because they may not want to maybe collapse the whole server system on a saturday night.

So I assume that until they have that fixed, which I'd bet may be Monday or Tuesday, they won't increase the CCU limit, instead they might reduce it a bit to avoid crashes during peak hours at the expense of having some people waiting to login during peak hours.

They need new content to bring players back.
And, I wouldn't be surprised down the road if 750k-1mil peaks are possible when big expansions are added. Arrowhead is almost surely sitting on a new enemy faction and that alone would create crazy interest a few months from now
Before releasing the game they mentioned that the second Thursday of every month they'll add new stuff: new warbonds (which won't replace the previous ones, which won't expire), new weapons, new cosmetics, new enemy types, new biomes, new mission types, mechs you'll be able to control etc.

Once they saw the huge success of the game, Arrowhead's CEO said they were going to review their post lanch roadmap to highly bump the amount of stuff they'll add.

Regarding enemy factions, make sure they have planned minimum two: notice that in the map there's one in the left and other in the right, but there's a big empty spot above and under the center. I assume they'll include a 3rd faction that was in Helldivers 1: the Illuminate plus a new one (maybe one inspired by Predator or Alien? Or maybe from some Sony IP like Killzone, Resistance, Destiny etc?)

Last edited:

Hibs

I'm on the slugger shotgun team now. Find it more fun and more powerful against medium bugs now.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

So what are people finding to work really well from difficulties 7-9? I love the autocannon, eagle airstrike is clutch, my other two slots are fluctuating quite a bit, can't settle on anything.

The Stig

Silverstoned: 13377276

add me.

i love this game. im not great though.

does higher difficulties make things take longer to call in?

MikeM

Gold Member
Rebought and did the “turn off global illumination” and capped fps to 90 to keep GPU usage below 100% and happy to report 0 crashes in three hours of gameplay today. 7900xt here.

Mobilemofo

Fuckin sky. Went to dispense democracy, once again, but the t'internet is down. Sky goes down more times than a hooker doing a blow - a - thon special. Twats.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom