• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

cebri.one

So I have a very old laptop from 2016 with a 1050ti, and I was thinking on replacing it. I wanted something light and portable so initially any gaming laptop was out of the question... before HD2. I think I'm going to ditch the idea of getting the latest Core Ultra or the AMD chip with the 780M and go for a full dedicated mobile GPU, maybe the 4060. Any recommendations?

Mobilemofo

Watch out for useless tossers. I have been fortunate to be able to kick people out of a few games because they were useless. 😅

Last edited:

Varteras

Level 7s when I'm running difficulty 8.
Your machine gun means nothing.
f8df6da2-3d59-4fc8-bfef-ce2535626790_text.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
One thing I've heard a lot in the reviews / impressions of this game is that there's a lot of "playstyle variety". You can really build different loadouts that play significantly differently.

This is all a load of BS right? You're sprinting everywhere and you're shooting bugs as fast as you can. I don't get a sense that any of my teammates are ever anything but interchangeable.

Does anyone else see it differently? I'm mostly playing on 7 - 9 difficulties.

One thing I've heard a lot in the reviews / impressions of this game is that there's a lot of "playstyle variety". You can really build different loadouts that play significantly differently.

This is all a load of BS right? You're sprinting everywhere and you're shooting bugs as fast as you can. I don't get a sense that any of my teammates are ever anything but interchangeable.

When compared to other online shooters, HD2 has pretty good variety. It's kind of like Apex Legends, where everybody has the same goal of killing one another but each character/loadout has different abilities of how to achieve that

When you play with randoms, it is obviously has less strategy. I just ran with a guy with anti-air missles and we teamed up to coordinate and shoot down drop ships as our main strategy. I have yet to use sentry stragegems myself because I rather roll with massive explosives but it is obviously nice when a teammate has them equipped.

Last edited:

Varteras

My squad just started moving into difficulty 7. We don't do meta builds. The only thing we all run no matter what is orbital laser. We all have various preferences for everything else. The only thing that has really changed is coordination. The higher we go, the more we communicate.

We used to just kinda do whatever we wanted. Then we started running in pairs across the map. Now we stick together as a group since running difficulty 6. We're also deciding together what stratagems we should run to compliment each other and depending on what faction it is. If someone wants to try something new, we work around that in case it won't work well.

At least in my group, there is little interchangeability among us. We each pretty much have a role to play and when one of us drops, we know we just lost our crowd control, heavy assassin, sentry support, etc. Even when we change roles, we usually have different ways we like to achieve that role.

There are definitely certain weapons and stratagems none of us touch because they're useless in our opinion. Like the 380mm HE orbital barrage I called in a few days ago for fun. Very first shot homed right in on a teammate who was definitely nowhere near the beacon. The rest killed absolutely nothing else. We laughed our asses off but it's still useless otherwise.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When compared to other online shooters, HD2 has pretty good variety. It's kind of like Apex Legends, where everybody has the same goal of killing one another but each character/loadout has different abilities of how to achieve that

When you play with randoms, it is obviously has less strategy. I just ran with a guy with anti-air missles and we teamed up to coordinate and shoot down drop ships as our main strategy. I have yet to use sentry stragegems myself because I rather roll with massive explosives but it is obviously nice when a teammate has them equipped.

That's interesting. Most of my time I've been playing with randoms and everyone just runs rail gun + shield backpack + 2 Eagles/Orbital strikes. Everyone is pretty self sufficient and interchangeable. I specced into sentries to start but they just get destroyed too quickly or teammates move away from them too consistently for them to be worthwhile. Sounds like that changes considerably when playing with friends.

My squad just started moving into difficulty 7. We don't do meta builds. The only thing we all run no matter what is orbital laser. We all have various preferences for everything else. The only thing that has really changed is coordination. The higher we go, the more we communicate.

We used to just kinda do whatever we wanted. Then we started running in pairs across the map. Now we stick together as a group since running difficulty 6. We're also deciding together what stratagems we should run to compliment each other and depending on what faction it is. If someone wants to try something new, we work around that in case it won't work well.

At least in my group, there is little interchangeability among us. We each pretty much have a role to play and when one of us drops, we know we just lost our crowd control, heavy assassin, sentry support, etc. Even when we change roles, we usually have different ways we like to achieve that role.

There are definitely certain weapons and stratagems none of us touch because they're useless in our opinion. Like the 380mm HE orbital barrage I called in a few days ago for fun. Very first shot homed right in on a teammate who was definitely nowhere near the beacon. The rest killed absolutely nothing else. We laughed our asses off but it's still useless otherwise.
I got aroused reading this. It's so unlike what I'm currently experiencing when playing. Hopefully they add a few more difficulties that force random squads to play with this level of coordination.

The walking Orbital barrage is much better than the 120mm or 380mm. It doesn't go behind where you threw the strategem, it progressively goes outwards, so you don't kill your teammates

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

so how's this game if you're just playing with randoms and don't have a consistent squad?

I've only played with Randoms. It's been mostly good. Have had a few sessions where we kept the squad and played a few more missions together. Was good.

I've had a few matches that we're meh. To be honest I didn't help.

Overall it's been a good experience

R6Rider

Gold Member
Played my first Impossible difficulty missions tonight.
So what are people finding to work really well from difficulties 7-9? I love the autocannon, eagle airstrike is clutch, my other two slots are fluctuating quite a bit, can't settle on anything.
Haven't done Helldive difficulty yet, but I find some of the best Stratagems to be the Railgun, Shield Generator, Orbital Railcannon, and the Orbital Laser.

Also, don't sleep on Smoke Stratagems. They will save your ass when overrun.

Me and my group are constantly mixing up our loadouts though. Keeps it fresh.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I usually play recon-ish. Sprint ahead, tagging targets, flanking enemies.

Sometimes, if possible I sneak into an enemy base and blow up the Automaton destroyers before I get into a firefight.

Some Blitz missions can be done like some spec-ops, where you just move solo and quickly take out targets.

That's on Suicide/Impossible.

That's because when they get to difficulty 7-9, people go with the safest loadout they can that can still handle most situations. I personally drop down to difficulty 6 if I want to play around with other weapons.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Has it already reached its maximum peak with +450k? It doesn't look like it's going to reach 500k.
It most likely will cross 500K if they up the server cap.

The peak/servers keep crashing at around 450K (which is not surprising, considering their servers are capped at 800K+ and PS5 will also have roughly 400K+ players).

The following dual mounds are the crashes and recovery attempts.

eGVObbB.png

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

It’s fun just quit teams that are clearly trash. You can tell pretty quickly if it’s going to go well or not.
I have to say, starting from around lvl 25, randoms seem to be playing much more coordinated, as they seem to have a much better understanding of gameplay mechanics, missions and strategems/loadouts.
They also seem to be much more capable of carrying their weight and apply usefull strategies, like kiting mobs, with minimum communication.

Up until that point, most people are likely still struggling to figure out the game, what to do and unlocking the more powerful strategems and ship upgrades.

I wonder how many people who are having issues with randoms are still <lvl25, because it makes quite a difference.

Also, at least use the ping-system. That already can make a big difference.

Edit:

And I think by that time, people have come to understand that you don't have to fight every fight. Sometimes you just get an objective done, bail and move on to the next objective.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It most likely will cross 500K if they up the server cap.

The peak/servers keep crashing at around 450K (which is not surprising, considering their servers are capped at 800K+ and PS5 will also have roughly 400K+ players).

The following dual mounds are the crashes and recovery attempts.

eGVObbB.png
Got anything to back this up or did you just pull it out of your ass?

I play during those times and did not experience a crash or a kick. The CEO said if they hit the cap then wait times will be likely, i don't recall anyone mentioning a server crash.

Didn't they up the cap to 800k just before the weekend? Surely we would have seen double tops like that all week if the servers were crashing like you describe.

I'm calling beards on this one.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Got anything to back this up or did you just pull it out of your ass?

I play during those times and did not experience a crash or a kick. The CEO said if they hit the cap then wait times will be likely, i don't recall anyone mentioning a server crash.

Didn't they up the cap to 800k just before the weekend? Surely we would have seen double tops like that all week if the servers were crashing like you describe.

I'm calling beards on this one.
Are you capable of putting 2 and 2 together?

800K is the server cap. PS5 and PC have roughly an equal amount of users. PC has 450,000+ online. PS5 would have the same. Total users become 850,000+. The peak crashes, as we can see, at a time it used to go up in the previous days when there were fewer people playing.

DelireMan7

That's because when they get to difficulty 7-9, people go with the safest loadout they can that can still handle most situations. I personally drop down to difficulty 6 if I want to play around with other weapons.

This kind of annoyed me so much. Everybody is free to play has they prefer but I am always sighing when 3 people join me and call Shield, Railgun and have the breaker. I understand this is the "optimal" loadout that works in every situation/mission but I find that boring.
But it's funny in a way because it's always 3 super optimal guy with me running funky stratagem and equipment. Even better when one of them call me out "your stratagem is not good/ You die too much ...." If your not happy with my playstyle feel free to leave, I am playing for having fun and not copy/pasting the same build again and again.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Are you capable of putting 2 and 2 together?

800K is the server cap. PS5 and PC have roughly an equal amount of users. PC has 450,000+ online. PS5 would have the same. Total users become 850,000+. The peak crashes, as we can see, at a time it used to go up in the previous days when there were fewer people playing.

So 2+2 =7 then. why can we not see the same for every other day when the cap was hit?

Edit I'll phrase it better: The game has roughly the same ccu all week give or take with a much lower server cap for the most part, so ill ask again why can we not see the double tops/crashes when the lower server cap was hit(the reason you gave for the "crashes")all last week?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

This kind of annoyed me so much. Everybody is free to play has they prefer and I am always sighing when 3 people join me and call Shield, Railgun and have the breaker. I understand this is the "optimal" loadout that works in every situation/mission but I find that boring.
But it's funny in a way because it's always 3 super optimal guy with me running funky stratagem and equipment. Even better when one of them call me out "your stratagem is not good/ You die too much ...." If your not happy with my playstyle feel free to leave, I am playing for having fun and not copy/pasting the same build again and again.
People watch youtubers too much.

Anything goes depending on your playstyle and mission, imo.
Some people are trying way too hard.

Good thing this game has drop in/drop out. People are replaced easily.

This kind of annoyed me so much. Everybody is free to play has they prefer but I am always sighing when 3 people join me and call Shield, Railgun and have the breaker. I understand this is the "optimal" loadout that works in every situation/mission but I find that boring.
I also forgot, quick join doesn't tell you what the mission type is. So again, most people just take an all rounder loadout.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So 2+2 =7 then. why can we not see the same for every other day when the cap was hit?

Edit I'll phrase it better: The game has roughly the same ccu all week give or take with a much lower server cap for the most part, so ill ask again why can we not see the double tops/crashes when the lower server cap was hit(the reason you gave for the "crashes")all last week?
You do realize that the 2nd bump is people trying to get back into the game, right?

During weekdays, that wasn't the case, as there were not as many people playing as there were this weekend. So there is no double top.

During this weekend, there were more people wanting to play the game, but they couldn't. Hence, the double top, which indicates them trying to log in again after they couldn't.

The director also said that there will be wait times, essentially confirming that the total CCU will be higher than 800,000, and not everyone will get in.

Also, if you disagree with this, you'll have to explain why/how there were more people playing this weekend than weekdays, before shit hits the fan at peak times, and why the pacing was so off. For example:
  • 15:00 UTC Thursday = 210,313
  • 15:00 UTC Friday = 222,314
  • 15:00 UTC Saturday = 294,505
  • 15:00 UTC Sunday = 299,573
Saturday and Sunday had 70,000 - 80,000 additional players. Where did all those players go? And why doesn't the peak CCU account for that higher pacing? In other words, why didn't those 70-80K players add to the previous peak of 458K?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
You do realize that the 2nd bump is people trying to get back into the game, right?

During weekdays, that wasn't the case, as there were not as many people playing as there were this weekend. So there is no double top.

During this weekend, there were more people wanting to play the game, but they couldn't. Hence, the double top, which indicates them trying to log in again after they couldn't.

The director also said that there will be wait times, essentially confirming that the total CCU will be higher than 800,000, and not everyone will get in.

Also, if you disagree with this, you'll have to explain why/how there were more people playing this weekend this weekend, before shit hits the fan at peak times, and why the pacing was so off. For example:
  • 15:00 UTC Thursday = 210,313
  • 15:00 UTC Friday = 222,314
  • 15:00 UTC Saturday = 294,505
  • 15:00 UTC Sunday = 299,573
Saturday and Sunday had 70,000 - 80,000 additional players. Where did all those players go? And why doesn't the peak CCU account for that higher pacing?

sD736MI.png

Call of duty has similar double tops, at similar times played mostly by EU and American audiences.

Edit: You said the severs were crashing which is different to what you' ve just said above.

I' m wrapping for the night. look imnot saying what youre getting at isn't plausible, but theres 1000 other reasons as well. Without anything from the devs your just making it fit your narative.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
sD736MI.png

Call of duty has similar double tops, at similar times played mostly by EU and American audiences.

Edit: You said the severs were crashing which is different to what you' ve just said above.

I' m wrapping for the night. look imnot saying what youre getting at isn't plausible, but theres 1000 other reasons as well. Without anything from the devs your just making it fit your narative.
Why are we bringing COD into the discussion, as it can have a group of players in a completely different timezone vs. Helldivers 2?

Anyway, I'd suggest, instead of bringing up a completely different game, answering the question I asked.

panda-zebra

The peaks and troughs seen this weekend don't seem to be servers maxing out, they look the typical EU going to bed/US getting their game on cross-over.

However, earlier in the week (Monday, Tuesday) there were spiky downturns when the servers capped out and crapped out.

So it seems you are both right going off what happened this week.

Looks like they have the capacity in place now to cater to the demand. Next big test of that might be the weekend of the first new content drop, which would be the weekend after March 14th.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Please PLEASE stop calling Napalm down into the nests!
Bugs will keep spawning and I can't get in there to close the holes!
And on this difficulty, the bugs will outlive your fire.
Even worse people at high difficulty level using guns like the incendiary breaker and setting people on fire when the bugs don't die and touch you.

Fire damage is dogshit in this game, just use the regular breaker or the slugger or the jar 5.

Top Bottom