• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

tommib

Gold Member
Even worse people at high difficulty level using guns like the incendiary breaker and setting people on fire when the bugs don't die and touch you.

Fire damage is dogshit in this game, just use the regular breaker or the slugger or the jar 5.
What’s your set up these days for the 2 last extreme difficulties?

Usually playing with 2 friends and we don't care who plays what loadout.
We had a random (lvl20?) join our difficulty 7 missions and after completion I switched to Helldive and he wrote woohoo Helldive? He never played it he said.

I asked if he was sure and started.
First nest 5 Bile Titans, lol, not going to lie he called in a 500kg and hit/killed 2 of them at once, that was awesome.

We finished all 3 missions, hope he was happy. :D
Had a great name, proudpapa something lol, I thought this guy doesn't have that much time to play between his job and kid(s) so we were "trying" more than usual so we didn't fail him and got all super rare samples etc every mission.

Love this game.

Otherwise the game has been all consuming like Destiny once was.
Urgh. Don't remind me. Destiny when it first came was such a special experience, even if it was thread bare at times. Dungeon crawling in that game, squeezing through crevices with the boys, crazy firefights, the feeling of awe and discovery...

Now every time I see it, it's like looking at divorce photos.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What’s your set up these days for the 2 last extreme difficulties?
The standard breaker-bubble shield-railgun.

Laser and the eagle missiles barrage for stratagems.

Mortar sentry instead of the missile barrage for when you have to defend a place and kill a certain number of enemies.

Markio128

Gold Member
It has blown my mind how this game has taken off. Did anybody in their right minds expect anything like this?

Anyway, I’m going to try and manage some democracy using the Portal later to see how it copes with an online game. I’m still a level 8 dweeb, so I’ve got some serious catching up to do.

draliko

Hope they fix the and GPU crashes, since last patch got pretty bad again and can't finish a single match without crashing... Gonna play last epoch in the meantime but this sincerely sucks

Killjoy-NL

It has blown my mind how this game has taken off. Did anybody in their right minds expect anything like this?

Anyway, I’m going to try and manage some democracy using the Portal later to see how it copes with an online game. I’m still a level 8 dweeb, so I’ve got some serious catching up to do.
I play HD2 almost exclusively on Portal. It's working perfectly fine, depending on your wifi-connection.

Even extreme difficulties are easily done on Portal.

Varteras

No one saw this coming. Even Sony fanboys largely wrote this game off as DoA. But it had just the right ingredients to get viral exposure through Tiktok and YouTube Shorts. Once that happened, and people discovered the game was legit with good hooks and plenty of hilarious moments to experience themselves, it blew up.

The only question now is; can the devs keep up a good enough content pace to give this game the kind of legs that will secure it as a staple live service game in the industry?

Killjoy-NL

No one saw this coming. Even Sony fanboys largely wrote this game off as DoA. But it had just the right ingredients to get viral exposure through Tiktok and YouTube Shorts. Once that happened, and people discovered the game was legit with good hooks and plenty of hilarious moments to experience themselves, it blew up.

The only question now is; can the devs keep up a good enough content pace to give this game the kind of legs that will secure it as a staple live service game in the industry?
Curious to see their roadmap. Aren't they going to share it soon?
I hope they add a lot of customisation, as well as a 3rd faction pretty soon.

And they should definitely do cross-over collabs, like a possible Killzone-DLC the Arrowhead CEO responded to on X.

I think there's a lot of potential to support this game long-term.

TheBomb

Its a f* fun game... lol... we play games to have fun so if a game comes out and it's particularly fun guess what happens... people play the game!!! Lol
Oh no! I get it. It’s popular. I just wonder how they make money when there are that many on there.

There were not press previews until a week before launch. The trailers only showed gameplay a few seconds at a time. The developers were mum whether it would be 60fps on PS5. I thought it would be a fun game that was poorly optimized. It turned out to be extremely well polished

BuddyLaDouche

Neo Member
Even worse people at high difficulty level using guns like the incendiary breaker and setting people on fire when the bugs don't die and touch you.

Fire damage is dogshit in this game, just use the regular breaker or the slugger or the jar 5.
I haven't seen ANYONE using the JAR-5 and I really want to know about it. I'm almost ready to unlock it and it seems like it should theoretically be one of the best weapons in game. I think it's the only one that says it penetrates Medium Armor?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I haven't seen ANYONE using the JAR-5 and I really want to know about it. I'm almost ready to unlock it and it seems like it should theoretically be one of the best weapons in game. I think it's the only one that says it penetrates Medium Armor?
It is very good against medium armoured enemies but the rate of fire is kinda trash, the recoil is pretty high and doesn't have a large number of mags\bullets.

The slugger does the same but in shotgun form.

Still, the breaker smack both in the ass.

GymWolf

Gold Member

If sony is smart, it's gonna buy the team and give them all the budget and manpower they need.

The sky is the limit when it comes to how much stuff they can put in the game to keep it fresh.

Varteras

If sony is smart, it's gonna buy the team and give them all the budget and manpower they need.

The sky is the limit when it comes to how much stuff they can put in the game to keep it fresh.

I think it has a lot of transmedia potential. I could see them expanding the IP to shows or movies. Maybe animated. Making sure to keep the humor and ridiculous nature of it. I would watch the fuck out of a Helldivers series.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think it has a lot of transmedia potential. I could see them expanding the IP to shows or movies. Maybe animated. Making sure to keep the humor and ridiculous nature of it. I would watch the fuck out of a Helldivers series.
Or not.

Maybe let's just focus on the game content without making shows and cartoons for every damn sony project :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

DelireMan7

that is an operation modifier, those kick in at difficulty 5 and higher
Yes this one caught me off guard the first time.

Trying to call my support weapon at my feet but saw the glowing red beam. Succeed to avoid it "What the fuck ?! Must have do the wrong code".
Try again, another orbital strikes instead killing me and some teams mate. "WTF ?!"
Then my mate tell me this is one of the bots side objective that randomize the stratagem xD.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes this one caught me off guard the first time.

Trying to call my support weapon at my feet but saw the glowing red beam. Succeed to avoid it "What the fuck ?! Must have do the wrong code".
Try again, another orbital strikes instead killing me and some teams mate. "WTF ?!"
Then my mate tell me this is one of the bots side objective that randomize the stratagem xD.
You can check what you are throwing, just look at the granade color before you throw, if it is red then abort and try again.

I killed my entire squad before realizing that.

sodstall

Wasn't aware of that. Thought the game was bugged. Lol

Where can you check the modifiers? Played 75+ hours, but I have no idea.
When you're at the galactic war table while selecting an operation. It is in the bottom right of the screen. Usually shows up once you've zoomed in on a planet entirely.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Almost level 40, been trying my ems mortar and mortar sentry on difficulties 7-9 and I'd like to report back it is working great. Of course things happen and the mortar will TK someone depending on if we are getting rushed but overall it has been great crowd control.

Played for about 4 hours yesterday, much fun. Decided to go support and got the backpack first to keep my boys topped up on ammo and stims, and grenades. Now to decide on the next thing to get that would help the squad.

clarky

Gold Member
Why are we bringing COD into the discussion, as it can have a group of players in a completely different timezone vs. Helldivers 2?

Anyway, I'd suggest, instead of bringing up a completely different game, answering the question I asked.
COD was the first game I looked at to show you that double tops like you claim are "server crashes" are perfectly normal.

The server limit was 450,00 all last week as per updates from the dev's so going off your logic then we would see dips as the servers "crash" as it hits those numbers, roughly at 250k Steam users. That didn't happen. at all. in fact the CCU kept growing regardless. Unless you're suggesting there was nobody playing on playstation.

Like another user pointed out, you see this sometimes as one time zone is off to bed and another is hitting peak times. Like the example I gave you with COD.

Last edited:
Who do you even play as lore wise? Are you just a clone of the same person every time you die? Are they sending down random people to replace the one that was killed, and you are technically a different person each life?

If the latter it would be cool if they each had a name or something, and if you could go back and see the stats of each individual person. Would crush the servers even more probably lol

Ballistic

Wasn't aware of that. Thought the game was bugged. Lol

Where can you check the modifiers? Played 75+ hours, but I have no idea.
when you're in pods you can L1 back to orders screen then R2 to pull up modifiers...sucks with randos because they usually start mission the moment you're added

Killjoy-NL

when you're in pods you can L1 back to orders screen then R2 to pull up modifiers...sucks with randos because they usually start mission the moment you're added
Yeah, figured as much. L1 is not possible when you enter mid-game and I never start a match myself.

But good to know it's a modifier.

Top Bottom