• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell's Kitchen Season Ten |OT| Will the winner actually get the stated prize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, if the winners ever come back it's just for some challenge. (Or as a sous chef.)

Last year the show kept saying the winner would be "head chef" at BLT Steak. Except the position didn't exist at the time, and the one created after the show has basically no authority in the kitchen at all.

Last year's winner Paul:
Paul_Niedermann_web.jpg

Here's a recap I just found of the other winners "where are they now?" from last September: http://foodiegossip.blogspot.com/2011/09/hells-kitchen-winners-where-are-they.html

Looks like basically only one or two of the winners if that has effectively gotten the prize suggested by the show.

Ramsey has said the award is in reality about getting a mentor:

And considering the people on this show that's the smart plan, but the show keeps going with the conceit of the fancy positions in its setup. Though I don't think openly stating it as the "opportunity to work under a great chef" diminishes the proceedings in anyway.

Do they still get the proposed annual salary? If they get the salary, than they are still getting the prize in my opinion. Being mentored into the position + the promised salary works for me. Or maybe they know going into the show that if they win, they are mentored up to that point.

Palmer_v1

Th90l.jpg

I hate her already. Her name is spelled wrong, her haircut is ugly as fuck, she's the only girl not smiling, and she's from Florida. Seriously hope she gets the boot immediately.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I mean, there is just something about both shows that makes me feel that Top Chef winners are more legit than Hell's Kitchen winners.

I know its baseless.

No, I kid. It's Padma.

padma-lakshmi-e1284144364657.jpg

Nothing baseless about it, common sense really! And the fact that the chefs on Top Chef have tons better pedigree than the ones on Hell's Kitchen.

Also, Padma! <3

benjipwns

Banned
Do they still get the proposed annual salary? If they get the salary, than they are still getting the prize in my opinion. Being mentored into the position + the promised salary works for me. Or maybe they know going into the show that if they win, they are mentored up to that point.
It's really more of a knock on the presentation. How the show says things like "head chef at" or "executive chef at" or "will run the new [whatever] in Las Vegas!" with a salary of a X. The show deliberately tries to create the impression that these incompetents will be running a six star kitchen.

When in reality it's six months or a year of "mentoring" (some winners have suggested they were basically ignored) at some joint and oh, here's $250k prize money as well.

I should have gone with "A TIE?!?" after the shocking odds that occur in every challenge. But I was thinking about how of the last three winners, one didn't get the job and another was competing for a role that didn't exist. And that over the entire run few of the chefs even got the position suggested and one didn't even get the right restaurant.

Nona's seems to have turned out well enough, though Kerry Simon is involved, and she was one of the better contestants.

There's a good chance this person actually gets whatever they signed up for since it'll be at Ramsay's restaurant. (Until it goes bankrupt anyway.)

Dr Prob

Banned
Nothing baseless about it, common sense really! And the fact that the chefs on Top Chef have tons better pedigree than the ones on Hell's Kitchen.

Also, Padma! <3

Yeah, as ridiculous as the challenges on Top Chef get sometimes, it's pretty legit as a cooking competition. Hell's Kitchen is more of a reality show carnival of madness that happens to take place in a kitchen.

That said: I will watch and pick:

Kheob.jpg

Because it says she's from Boston. Let's do this Roshni Guarni!

gkYIH.jpg

Picking this one to be the token underperforming beauty that Ramsay develops a hard-on for and keeps until the final 3 just to piss off the audience. This season's Virginia/Bonnie, basically.

my pick:

XkJ8l.jpg

I really hope he wins, because by looking at those eyes I'm afraid he's going to do something crazy if Ramsay gives him the boot.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Can't wait. I'm still down for MasterChef too although I'm sure the winner will be another All-American white girl.

benjipwns

Banned
My Pick, as my "go with people who look like people from Star Trek" had bombed terribly the past few seasons...
He kinda looks like McNulty from The Wire. In a younger phase when he tried to be a chef before getting married and joining the force.

Maybe it's just me.

UberTag

Hell's Kitchen kicking off is the best part of E3 Week that isn't E3. Great way to decompress after the inevitable press conference disappointment from GAF.

Mudkips

Banned
The winner gets a "job" as "head chef" for a year, which is not a standard position in the industry. They're below the executive chef and sous chefs. They can either blow it off and just take the salary, or they can do the job and get experience and training with a good chef in addition to the cash.

Needs Jean-Philippe. Petrozza got robbed.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
&#8704; Narayan;38160306 said:
I've never watched this show, but has there ever been a contestant who consistently impressed Gordon and never managed to fuck up?

Dave Levey aka One-Armed Bandit

Broke his wrist and still won

VPhys

Subscribed. And thanks to whoever bumped the last thread to let me know about it.

Definitely some better eye candy this season.

adelante

Subscribed. And thanks to whoever bumped the last thread to let me know about it.

Definitely some better eye candy this season.

Don't let all that makeup fool you, whole different story once they step into the kitchen and start bawling out tears! :p

/subscribed

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This + Master Chef are such guilty pleasure for me during the summer

Winner:

STpsJm.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has to be this guy:

rvkzR.jpg

If that doesn't look like a winner I don't know what does.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Wow @ those winners prizes being bullshit. At least elise is gone. god damn that woman was intolerable

xbhaskarx

This show is so terrible on every level relative to Top Chef, and yet I keep watching it.

When do we get a new season of Top Chef?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
First time I've seen a commercial for "The Choice." Wow. What a creatively bankrupt load of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom