• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

jrcbandit

Doesnt' God Eater 2 and Darkest Dungeon require 3.61 ? Also Dragon Quest builder is coming out soon

Dragon Quest builders is already out and only requires 3.60 so no problems there. I hope Steins;Gate 0 is the same. I have no interest in upgrading my Vita as the number of new releases I will want for it will become smaller and smaller. I don't even know of anything to buy after Steins;Gate 0 that isn't already coming to PC/PS4. Of course Steins;Gate 0 is coming to other platforms too, but I'd like reading it more on a Vita.

MrHoot

No. God Eater 1/2 and DQ Builders require 3.60. Darkest Dungeon is the only "major" release so far that requires 3.61.

Aye but you can't download anything unless you update your system software right ? (Since it doesn't let me access my PS store without that)

Joey Ravn

Banned
kinda depends on what TheFloW is doing, tbf lol. I'm just looking forward to being able to play psp games. My only reservation, once that happens, for using my vita for all my handheld gaming needs is lack of cheaper storage.

Well, he took control of the PSP emulator from the Vita side. That is what is enabling him to remap camera controls and (allegedly) upscale PSP games. If we had gotten plain old ARK, it would have been the same as before, in OFW 3.52. These enhancements are well worth the wait.

I'm fine with taking a "wait and see stance", though.

Well, he took control of the PSP emulator from the Vita side. That is what is enabling him to remap camera controls and (allegedly) upscale PSP games. If we had gotten plain old ARK, it would have been the same as before, in OFW 3.52. These enhancements are well worth the wait.

I was expecting a sort of ARK 2.0 that incorporates these things. Didn't expect the same old software.

Shaneus

Same. Just look at this response a few hours later:
MrColdbird ‏@MrColdbird 2h
@csolisr @theflow0 I suggest you trust flow on this one. He's got something big cooking.

biteren

my plan on turning my PSTV into a emulation station is great! ive been wanting somthing like this for a while.

Also Open Tyrian on this is awesome!

biteren

i wish there was a better Engine to run Doom on Henkaku than Vita Doom

EDIT: For exmple, weapon switch is set to "analog" and the sticks dont seem to function here

MrHoot

Being able to play mario world, megaman zero or sonic 3, and then switching to Dragon quest builder and God Eater...LIVING THE DREAM HERE

Can't wait to see how it continues to evolve. I already enjoyed my vita greatly before but now with old console games it became a beast.

How is moonlight? I just saw that this was available for vita last night. Got excited by this idea and went on eBay and bought a new vita 3G Wi-Fi version which means OLED for $110 bucks shipped. I have tempered expectations on how well this actually works but the idea of actually playing Steam games streaming sounds very very tempting.

Sykotik

How is moonlight? I just saw that this was available for vita last night. Got excited by this idea and went on eBay and bought a new vita 3G Wi-Fi version which means OLED for $110 bucks shipped. I have tempered expectations on how well this actually works but the idea of actually playing Steam games streaming sounds very very tempting.

Last time I tried it, which was a few months back, I played Metal Gear Rising at 60 fps and it worked great. The issue at the time was there was no way to use the shoulder or analogue stick buttons. I don't know if they fixed that, yet.

Last time I tried it, which was a few months back, I played Metal Gear Rising at 60 fps and it worked great. The issue at the time was there was no way to use the shoulder or analogue stick buttons. I don't know if they fixed that, yet.

Cool thanks for the update. Sounds like there was an update at the end of August that fixed this. Anyone else have any opinions on this far as the performance goes?

Moonlight for PS Vita Alpha 3
It’s a pretty big update too, giving the app much needed support for the triggers and more! Here is what xyz has to say about the new version:


Thanks to @d3m3vilurr there’s now support for mouse and L2/R2/L3/R3.

Use front touchscreen for mouse movements and actions:

left click – one finger tap
right click – two finger tap
pointer move – one finger swipe
scroll – two finger swipe
Use back touchscreen for L2/R2/L3/R3. The zone mappings are:

L2(LT): left-top
R2(RT): right-top
L3(LS CLK): left-botton
R3(RS CLK): right-bottom

So I haven't updated since this was announced, because I wanted to keep my options open. I haven't used Henkaku on my Vita yet, because I'm apprehensive about that as well.

I know you can access the PSN store with Henkaku, but I don't feel comfortable doing that as it seems like it might be easy for Sony to identify devices that do that, and may ban them. Therefore, I haven't accessed the PSN store and my Vita is now stuck with the games it's got, unless I transfer through my PS3 I guess.

My question is what the state of emulators on the Vita is like. It seems like full speed N64 is out of the question but PlayStation 1 is developing well considering the console's inherent emulation capabilities with that system. How is GBA and below? SNES/Genesis and below? One thing that especially interests me is if anyone has done input lag tests, as that seems to be the only downside of emulation focused devices like say the GPD XD.

I'm interested in a portable device that does emulation of older systems well, so I was thinking of getting that device, but apparently the Android OS makes every Android system have just a little bit of input lag that can't be removed, because of the way it is programmed. If it weren't for this, I may have already have gotten that system, but now I'm looking at if a Vita with Henkaku is perhaps a better option, because I would think that input lag problem wouldn't be an issue on the Vita.

Basically, I want to keep buying games on PSN for my Vita and don't really like it being isolated from the internet, but I'd also like to have a portable that can emulate classic games well. If it weren't for the GPD's apparent input lag, I'd get that and update my Vita, but I'm sort of stuck at the moment.

Can anyone give advice as to how to proceed? Is saving the Vita for emulation worth it, or should I look elsewhere. Though it'd be kind of to have access to it, I'm not that interested in Vita specific homebrew. Does anyone here have a GPD XD and can say if they even notice any input lag?

Sorry for the long post. I kind of have stopped playing my Vita after Henkaku was released and especially after 3.61 patched the hole. I also have a lot of games on PS+ that just ran out of subscription and am worried that they won't renew on the Vita unless i update it, do I haven't applied some of my saved up PS+ years. I was in the middle of VLR (which I got on PS+) when Henkaku became known.

Edit:

WTS

PS Vita 8GB Memory Card (x2) - $20 each or will trade both for $40 PSN

WTB

Stardew Valley - $6 Paypal F&F

Uh, I think you meant this for the Buy/Sell/Trade thread ;P.

So I haven't updated since this was announced, because I wanted to keep my options open. I haven't used Henkaku on my Vita yet, because I'm apprehensive about that as well.

I know you can access the PSN store with Henkaku, but I don't feel comfortable doing that as it seems like it might be easy for Sony to identify devices that do that, and may ban them. Therefore, I haven't accessed the PSN store and my Vita is now stuck with the games it's got, unless I transfer through my PS3 I guess.

My question is what the state of emulators on the Vita is like. It seems like full speed N64 is out of the question but PlayStation 1 is developing well considering the console's inherent emulation capabilities with that system. How is GBA and below? SNES/Genesis and below? One thing that especially interests me is if anyone has done input lag tests, as that seems to be the only downside of emulation focused devices like say the GPD XD.

I'm interested in a portable device that does emulation of older systems well, so I was thinking of getting that device, but apparently the Android OS makes every Android system have just a little bit of input lag that can't be removed, because of the way it is programmed. If it weren't for this, I may have already have gotten that system, but now I'm looking at if a Vita with Henkaku is perhaps a better option, because I would think that input lag problem wouldn't be an issue on the Vita.

Basically, I want to keep buying games on PSN for my Vita and don't really like it being isolated from the internet, but I'd also like to have a portable that can emulate classic games well. If it weren't for the GPD's apparent input lag, I'd get that and update my Vita, but I'm sort of stuck at the moment.

Can anyone give advice as to how to proceed? Is saving the Vita for emulation worth it, or should I look elsewhere. Though it'd be kind of to have access to it, I'm not that interested in Vita specific homebrew. Does anyone here have a GPD XD and can say if they even notice any input lag?

Sorry for the long post. I kind of have stopped playing my Vita after Henkaku was released and especially after 3.61 patched the hole. I also have a lot of games on PS+ that just ran out of subscription and am worried that they won't renew on the Vita unless i update it, do I haven't applied some of my saved up PS+ years. I was in the middle of VLR (which I got on PS+) when Henkaku became known.

Edit:

Uh, I think you meant this for the Buy/Sell/Trade thread ;P.

Best answer to be safe is get a second vita.

AlexBasch

Only thing holding me back is a possible ban. Say, if I formatted my Vita and put a throwaway account in there then put my actual account games in there, I'd just risk my console, right?

SURGEdude

there are some functions built in to the vita that it lacks such as the touch screen/back touch (and maybe gyro? not sure about that one).

The touch stuff can be enabled through a less than ideal solution of clicking the sticks and mimicking touch. The gyro and camera however have no such solution. At least that's my memory of it. Personally I swap the card to my vita to get through areas rather than dealing with the less than ideal solution offered with a DS3.

The benefit of the PSTV is ethernet, real controllers, and the future possible potential for USB storage thanks to the port.

Only thing holding me back is a possible ban. Say, if I formatted my Vita and put a throwaway account in there then put my actual account games in there, I'd just risk my console, right?

Yes. Though it's worth noting there haven't seemed to be any bans thus far. But if you want to be extra safe that would be the way to go.

afaik, you could download your games, dump them, login with a different account, and add them back. Don't think there's any real risk of a ban, but that seems like it would completely avoid it. That said, you'd have to use henkaku at some point. Not sure if you can do that without ever being online. Might look in to the offline installer.

If I go through the hoops and switch into my EU account from my main, I'd have to reinstall HENkaku, right? Can I do that? It won't force me to go up to 3.61, right? If I can do that, then I'll dump all my 6 or so games from that account lol.

AlexBasch

Yes. Though it's worth noting there haven't seemed to be any bans thus far. But if you want to be extra safe that would be the way to go.

afaik, you could download your games, dump them, login with a different account, and add them back. Don't think there's any real risk of a ban, but that seems like it would completely avoid it. That said, you'd have to use henkaku at some point. Not sure if you can do that without ever being online. Might look in to the offline installer.
Those options sound good to me. I was just afraid of messing up and entering PSN or whatever on my actual account, so if the thing goes kaput with the throwaway or the console, I wouldn't mind much. Didn't think of buying more stuff from there anyway. :/

I don't think there is something it can't do (of course I might be wrong), especially after you install the whitelist from HENkaku which allows to play almost all games released

there are some functions built in to the vita that it lacks such as the touch screen/back touch (and maybe gyro? not sure about that one).

Some (whitelisted) games have touchpad only segments which may halt your progress, though this is very rare.

Thanks. Time to henkaku my vita tv!

Top Bottom