• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Best answer to be safe is get a second vita.

Thanks for the answer, sorry for the late reply. I guess that is the only real option, if I want to keep access to both sides. Frankly, I don't see very many reasons not to update, as it seems the emulation side is a little limited, and after testing some emulation on my Android phone again, I couldn't detect any noticeable input lag. Undubs are cool and all, but a really minor incentive for me. I'd kind of rather be able to download and play my new Vita games, some of which I have already bought, like Digimon Cyber Sleuth in the last sale it was in and Downwell soon to come in the current sale.

Can anyone give a really solid reason for me not to upgrade? Henkaku is a nice option, but I haven't even used it as it doesn't seem to really do much that can't be done on other hardware. I mean the Vita hardware is really nice, and I'd like to play classic games like the original Sonic series on it, but it can be done elsewhere, and without isolating a previously very active console of mine.

If I could get some opinions on the matter, pros and cons of using Henkaku, anything that stands out as something that can't be done elsewhere, I'd like to hear it. :)

Izuna

Banned
I'm currently doing this to my old VITA1000 which I sold to my brother (with the 64gig card in it)

I really don't like how no one has figured out how to access the filesystem via USB yet

t26

This isn't a CFW, it's fundamentally different. But, well, if lack of banning is proof enough for you that people will get banned... suit yourself.

Well if you feel confidence that Sony won't be banning your account, do whatever you want. Many of us do care about our PSN purchases and trophies, and will not be risking our account. I think there are enough information out there people can make their own decision.

Sony is still selling Vita in Japan so they still care about piracy

http://wololo.net/2016/07/31/henkaku-risk-ban/
All speculative and, again, baseless fear up until someone gets banned. If no one ever gets banned, then you'll be waiting a long time for affirmation.

Not to mention that article is over 2 months old and no more concerns have been raised.
Well if you feel confidence that Sony won't be banning your account, do whatever you want. Many of us do care about our PSN purchases and trophies, and will not be risking our account. I think there are enough information out there people can make their own decision.
no, there's literally no "information out there". There 0 evidence of Sony banning people for this exploit, there's also 0 evidence that they won't be banning people in the future.

Chesskid1

Banned
ps3 had rampant online cheating which is why they banned people imo as it was affecting other users

and they even issued a warning to people that they will start banning, which is when i stopped CFW on my ps3, no banning here.

sony went out of their way to help people not get their consoles banned. i think they will just let vita users do whatever they want.

definitely hoping online with my 2nd vita on my main when there is a fan translation i want (probably i am setsuna)

suikodan

Does the retroark.vpk contain all the emulators? Are the other vpks still standalone? Man the archive is starting to become big and there's still no amiga emulator :(

Yeah it should have all the cores in there.

Installing any of the others would just make them a standalone bubble as usual.

I tried the Retroarch stand-alone VPK but I can't find the option to change Cores. I choose Load Core but it's empty. Any tips?

Can I access game backups I made on Content Manager Assistant before installing HENkaku? Don't want to lose my Samurai Warriors data...

I tried using QCMA while on 3.60 last night to try to backup some games before trying to try the "PS3 QCMA trick" to transfer Digimon over without updating, and I couldn't get it to work. The Vita would just say it needs to be updated. Apparently there may be some hacks to get it to work, but I think they use Henkaku? Can anyone help, is there a way to use QCMA on 3.60 without using Henkaku or updating?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I tried using QCMA while on 3.60 last night to try to backup some games before trying to try the "PS3 QCMA trick" to transfer Digimon over without updating, and I couldn't get it to work. The Vita would just say it needs to be updated. Apparently there may be some hacks to get it to work, but I think they use Henkaku? Can anyone help, is there a way to use QCMA on 3.60 without using Henkaku or updating?

Put your Vita in Airplane Mode. Turn off your Vita. Turn it on again. Try with QCMA again.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I haven't heard a compelling reason as to why toggling airplane mode sometimes corrects issues but it does. Perhaps there's some caching that gets reset in the same way as a full reboot seems to.

I think it's just a matter of QMCA thinking that if the Vita is online, then it can (and should) update. I dunno why, really, but it usually does the trick.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, looking at Wololo, the SaveDecrypter has been updated to decrypt PSN downloads?

If I wanted to use another person's save, would that be possible?

L.O.R.D

bad news
world of final fantasy will require 3.61
the demo is out in EU right now

sQmUCuV.jpg

oh,man
i was going to buy the game,if there is several games i want will require me to update then i think i will update.

Hesh

bad news

sQmUCuV.jpg

oh,man
i was going to buy the game,if there is several games i want will require me to update then i think i will update.

Why not use a PSTV or a cheap used/refurb Vita as your HENKaku device?

majik13

so I am selling my 3.60 Vita, but wanted to deactive the device before doing so. Reading on Sonys site it says you can only deactivate on the Vita itself. (Though some of their other help pages says I can do it in the app or on a PC/Mac, but that doesnt seem to be the case anymore)

Everytime I tried to go to a settings menu, to format or network settings it was asking me to update.

Anyways, I did the safe mode, and reformated the system and card from there, hoping it would deactive the Vita from my account. But it didnt.

Now rebooting the system and trying to sign in with my account is asking me to update again.

Anyway to deactivate the account and keep it on 3.6? I downloaded and set up QMCA but that seems to only work when actually in the system update menu.

Thanks

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
so I am selling my 3.60 Vita, but wanted to deactive the device before doing so. Reading on Sonys site it says you can only deactivate on the Vita itself. (Though some of their other help pages says I can do it in the app or on a PC/Mac, but that doesnt seem to be the case anymore)

Everytime I tried to go to a settings menu, to format or network settings it was asking me to update.

Anyways, I did the safe mode, and reformated the system and card from there, hoping it would deactive the Vita from my account. But it didnt.

Now rebooting the system and trying to sign in with my account is asking me to update again.

Anyway to deactivate the account and keep it on 3.6? I downloaded and set up QMCA but that seems to only work when actually in the system update menu.

Thanks

Did you try on sonyentertainmentnetwork.com? It's coming up with the option to deactivate for me.

majik13

Did you try on sonyentertainmentnetwork.com? It's coming up with the option to deactivate for me.

Yeah, thats what I meant by saying "Sonys site it says you can only deactivate on the Vita itself" If you actually click on the "Deactivate" link for the Vita. That's what it says.

You can only deactivate your PS Vita system using your PS Vita system. You cannot deactivate it using a PlayStation® 3 system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system or PC.

1. On your PS Vita system, tap [Settings] on the home screen. Go to [PlayStation™Network] > System Activation.

This help page says otherwise, but I am guessing its out of date. Couldnt do it in the PS App either.

https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/g.../how-to-deactivate-a-playstation-vita-system/

Odd if they only let you deactivate on the system. What happens if it gets lost, stolen, destroyed, or you werent savy enough to know this small detail before selling it.

I think I'm ready to just update.

I was hoping for arbitrary PSP and PS1 support, since Vita is arguably the best PSP, but my PSP-2000 does pretty well for that stuff too.

I was expecting this to be useful for long-run (post digital-apocalypse) digital-only Vita backups, but I'm already prepared to do PS3 without hacks so I think I can manage Vita via other methods.

Homebrew software is pretty meh, homebrew emulators don't interest me.

Plus there will likely be other hacks in the future. Maybe.

Anything else I'm missing?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, thats what I meant by saying "Sonys site it says you can only deactivate on the Vita itself" If you actually click on the "Deactivate" link for the Vita. That's what it says.

This help page says otherwise, but I am guessing its out of date. Couldnt do it in the PS App either.

https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/g.../how-to-deactivate-a-playstation-vita-system/

Odd if they only let you deactivate on the system. What happens if it gets lost, stolen, destroyed, or you werent savy enough to know this small detail before selling it.

The option to deactivate all your devices might work. Under Account -> Media and Devices. I think you can only do that every so often though.

majik13

The option to deactivate all your devices might work. Under Account -> Media and Devices. I think you can only do that every so often though.

thanks but I dont see that option, on the help page I linked in my last post, it says this.

1 Sign in to the Account Management website with your PlayStation Network details.
2 Go to the Account tab and select [Media and Devices].
3 Next to (Game) click [Deactivate All].
4 Select 'Yes' when you are asked if you want to continue.
5 All of your devices are now deactivated for Game content.

You can only perform this deactivation once every 6 months, so please deactivate your PlayStation systems using one of the methods above if possible.

But I don't see anything that says [Game] or [Deactivate All] on the page anywhere. Thats another reason why I think this help page is out of date or something. And [Media and Devices] are not a single tab but are 2 separate tabs/links.

Edit: Ok, you have to click on a small text link that says "View All Account Options" and then that takes you to a different Account layout page. I hate Sony websites for how redundent all their sites can be. And then there there is a [Media and Devices] tab and a [Deactivate All] option.

Ok, so if I do that, then what does that mean? I also have a PS4, Is it as simple as just clicking activate on my PS4?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's strange, it looks like this for me.

Edit: Ok, you have to click on a small text link that says "View All Account Options" and then that takes you to a different Account layout page. I hate Sony websites for how redundent all their sites can be. And then there there is a [Media and Devices] tab and a [Deactivate All] option.

Ok, so if I do that, then what does that mean? I also have a PS4, Is it as simple as just clicking activate on my PS4?

Yeah, it's really disorganized.

It will deactivate your PS4, but logging into PSN on it again should reactivate it.

majik13

That's strange, it looks like this for me.

Yeah, it's really disorganized.

It will deactivate your PS4, but logging into PSN on it again should reactivate it.

Yeah I just went ahead and did it. And just had to reactivate on my PS4, pretty quick. Thanks again.

Joey Ravn

Banned
bad news

oh,man

That's too bad, but I'm not going to update, no matter what. A spoofer could be coming sooner or later and I don't want to miss out on that because of one game.

Then again, I'm really sour on Final Fantasy, so I'm no hurry to play this game. And there's barely anything else coming out that I may even consider getting.

That's too bad, but I'm not going to update, no matter what. A spoofer could be coming sooner or later and I don't want to miss out on that because of one game.

Then again, I'm really sour on Final Fantasy, so I'm no hurry to play this game. And there's barely anything else coming out that I may even consider getting.

Feel exactly the same, though, I hope Berserk doesn't require it. I'm preparing to be salty.

L.O.R.D

Why not use a PSTV or a cheap used/refurb Vita as your HENKaku device?

yes,because it's very cheap to get another vita in my city ($250),i don't care for PS TV,if i am going to play it on TV,i would just buy it on PS4 instead.
it's like $40 on store near my house(PS4 version)

i hope someone figure a way to spoof the frameware.

does the psp even have a way to circumvent those firmware requirements? AFAIK you still can't play MHP3rd, for example, on 6.20 CFW.
So apparently retroarch can run PS1 games now?

How stable is it?
Pretty good in my experience. Some titles won't work, but I've tried games from both JP and NA and had them run at 60 fps without much issue. Some games seem to prefer different file formats, though. My eboot of dodonpachi, for example, wouldn't boot, but a bin/cue would.

Joey Ravn

Banned
does the psp even have a way to circumvent those firmware requirements? AFAIK you still can't play MHP3rd, for example, on 6.20 CFW

I don't know about firmware requirements... But there's really no need to run anything but Davee's permanent 6.61 Infinity CFW these days, really.

I don't know about firmware requirements... But there's really no need to run anything but Davee's permanent 6.61 Infinity CFW these days, really.

It matters because you and others have expressed interest in a "spoofer" which would allow you to play games locked to 3.60 firmware. I see it as an extremely unlikely occurrence if even the PSP game firmware restrictions, with basically no security in comparison, couldn't be circumvented.

If people couldn't figure out how to get 6.20 to play 6.60 games for years on a far more open system, what makes you guys think they'll find a way to do it on a console with some of the strictest security in dedicated gaming machines?

Joey Ravn

Banned
It matters because you and others have expressed interest in a "spoofer" which would allow you to play games locked to 3.60 firmware. I see it as an extremely unlikely occurrence if even the PSP game firmware restrictions, with basically no security in comparison, couldn't be circumvented.

If people couldn't figure out how to get 6.20 to play 6.60 games for years on a far more open system, what makes you guys think they'll find a way to do it on a console with some of the strictest security in dedicated gaming machines?

Well, the state of the PSP shouldn't be indicative of anything about the Vita, especially not now, when the Vita scene is just taking off. They are radically different systems, so what happened with one shouldn't tell you anything about what happens with the other one. Besides, just look at the 3DS or the Wii U...

When I said "spoofer", I meant that as a stop-gap solution for the time being. The ideal scenario would be having a full-fledged CFW, of course. With that we wouldn't have the need to spoof anything, since it could always be updated to the latest official version (provided it's not broken by Sony).

As for MH3rd, I did some digging and found out it can be played on CFW 5.50. I'm honestly a bit lost in anything PSP CFW before 6.xx. That's lower than 6.20, right? So the can be played on everything.

T-Rex.

Banned
bad news

sQmUCuV.jpg

oh,man
Didn't the Dragon Quest Builders demo require 3.61 as well? Physical copy was still 3.60.

Didn't the Dragon Quest Builders demo require 3.61 as well? Physical copy was still 3.60.

I think it's cause the full game is based on the original JP release before 3.61 firmware ever came out. It's evident when you look at the region code of your save game as it's PCSG, instead of PCSE.

Well, the state of the PSP shouldn't be indicative of anything about the Vita, especially not now, when the Vita scene is just taking off. They are radically different systems, so what happened with one shouldn't tell you anything about what happens with the other one. Besides, just look at the 3DS or the Wii U...
The PSP is absolutely indicative of the breadth of features a CFW on a sony handheld can entail, in large part because it is about as thoroughly "hacked" as a console could possibly be.
When I said "spoofer", I meant that as a stop-gap solution for the time being. The ideal scenario would be having a full-fledged CFW, of course. With that we wouldn't have the need to spoof anything, since it could always be updated to the latest official version (provided it's not broken by Sony).
and I'm saying a full-fledged CFW won't solve the problem of games being restricted to specific CFWs, as evidenced (afaik) by the PSP. Also, it seems extremely unlikely that the ability to have a CFW will allow us to update to higher firmwares, though there may be something at play here I'm missing.
As for MH3rd, I did some digging and found out it can be played on CFW 5.50. I'm honestly a bit lost in anything PSP CFW before 6.xx. That's lower than 6.20, right? So the can be played on everything.
Source please, I have tried to do this in the past and would be interested to know if there's something I missed.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The PSP is absolutely indicative of the breadth of features a CFW on a sony handheld can entail, in large part because it is about as thoroughly "hacked" as a console could possibly be.

That's not a good analogy, since, well, the PSP was the ONLY Sony handheld until the Vita came out. It would be like saying that the Xbox One should follow the same path as the Xbox and the Xbox 360, which is probably not going to happen. On a fundamental level, the PSP and the Vita are completely different machines, with different hardware and different security. If anything, how much work HENkaku required is proof that you can't look at the PSP and predict how the Vita scene will develop.

and I'm saying a full-fledged CFW won't solve the problem of games being restricted to specific CFWs, as evidenced (afaik) by the PSP. Also, it seems extremely unlikely that the ability to have a CFW will allow us to update to higher firmwares, though there may be something at play here I'm missing.

If you're comparing it with other CFWs, then I'll use the 3DS as a counter-example: games can be "cryptofixed" to remove the need to update before using them. The fact that it's a Nintendo handheld and not a Sony one shouldn't matter for the comparison, since, again, the PSP and the Vita are fundamentally different as well. As for updating CFWs, well, if you want to look at the PSP, the latest and final OFW (6.61) has been implemented as a permanent firmware. And 3DS and Wii CFWs all can be updated to the latest version without any issue too.

Source please, I have tried to do this in the past and would be interested to know if there's something I missed.

Search "5.50 monster hunter 3rd" on YouTube. There are a few videos of people playing the game on 5.50 GEN. I can't post the links, since most contain links to the ISOs. Again, I'm not sure that a "5.50" CFW is "lower" than a "6.20" CFW, but I assume it is based on a previous OFW version than Davee's Infinity, for example.

So apparently retroarch can run PS1 games now?

How stable is it?

If anyone can get the fan translated and patched Policenauts working on a vita, I would love to hear how....

I could easily get it working on my PSP. It worked poorly, but worked on my 3ds in reteoarch...Have never found anyone to get it working on a Vita, my last effort was in TNV...

Search "5.50 monster hunter 3rd" on YouTube. There are a few videos of people playing the game on 5.50 GEN. I can't post the links, since most contain links to the ISOs. Again, I'm not sure that a "5.50" CFW is "lower" than a "6.20" CFW, but I assume it is based on a previous OFW version than Davee's Infinity, for example.
Looks like that CFW is specifically built to deal with that, but it's old and lacks functionality of 6.20/60/61 L/ME.

If anyone can get the fan translated and patched Policenauts working on a vita, I would love to hear how....

I could easily get it working on my PSP. It worked poorly, but worked on my 3ds in reteoarch...Have never found anyone to get it working on a Vita, my last effort was in TNV...

Isn't there a Saturn emulator core on Retroarch? Try the Saturn translation, perhaps?

This is gonna be different altogether since it's PCSX ReArmed. I haven't had my Vita for a while, loaning it to a friend, so I haven't had time to test it. That being said, I ran it on the same emulator on my Pandora and it worked perfectly. If the Vita port of PCSX is good, it should be fine.

I haven't seen many impressions of how the emulator works on the Vita in general beyond the initial excitement. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign, or just indicative of a lack of enthusiasm over portable PS1.

Fasty

This is gonna be different altogether since it's PCSX ReArmed. I haven't had my Vita for a while, loaning it to a friend, so I haven't had time to test it. That being said, I ran it on the same emulator on my Pandora and it worked perfectly. If the Vita port of PCSX is good, it should be fine.

I haven't seen many impressions of how the emulator works on the Vita in general beyond the initial excitement. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign, or just indicative of a lack of enthusiasm over portable PS1.

I've been playing Wipeout 2097 flawlessly for a while now. Looks incredible on the OLED screen. Wipeout 3 has a little slowdown unfortunately. Soul Reaver Legacy of Kain worked too from what little I played, but it had a little bit of slowdown too.

Top Bottom