• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Moobabe

I've JUST picked up the game having played a trial account with some friends and I need some pointers:

First of all - HOW do you choose which hero to go? There are so many I feel like I'll probably make a mistake before the round has even started. I've been playing The Madman quite a bit but then I'm never sure which items to buy - I pick up stuff off the recommended page but get flamed by some teammates for not picking the "right" ones. Then someone tells me to lane by myself because I'm a "carrier" even though I don't really have any idea on what to do.

Should I keep playing Madman and get used to what I need to do in games? Or should I opt for another "beginner" hero and go from there?

Meeru

Banned
Moobabe said:
I've JUST picked up the game having played a trial account with some friends and I need some pointers:

First of all - HOW do you choose which hero to go? There are so many I feel like I'll probably make a mistake before the round has even started. I've been playing The Madman quite a bit but then I'm never sure which items to buy - I pick up stuff off the recommended page but get flamed by some teammates for not picking the "right" ones. Then someone tells me to lane by myself because I'm a "carrier" even though I don't really have any idea on what to do.

Should I keep playing Madman and get used to what I need to do in games? Or should I opt for another "beginner" hero and go from there?
You online? Get on hon Ill help you out. Type /join clan neogaf

Madman is termed a carrier because that's what his role is: he carries the load of the other's teammates to victory. But only by farming enough items. You see, some heroes exponentially go stronger with the help of items, others not as much. I think a good place to start is going here: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17 and read every guide you see..they are all detailed and useful.

Kapura

Banned
delirium said:
Nome's tweet about designers' and pros' opinions on "underpowered" heroes.
http://xltweet.com/show/?id=54505F5D53
Good shit. I feel the same about a bunch of those heroes, especially Zephro and Tree. Really looking forward to a big ol' balance patch soonish (tm).

Unrelated, jereziah is hilarious.
2d8mbzo.png

Kapura

Banned
valenti said:
Those are impressive numbers even without the post haste
Untitled-6.png
I wasn't solo for very long, otherwise i'd gone for the boots of awesome. Game i'm finishing now I'm jere again. Had to play support, though, so i got no farm until midgame. picked up a hellflower, probably gonna go for a mock if time allows.

Swag

Well, I played my 1 empath game and it didn't go well.

Avoiding that hero, cause it just feeds and feeds and feeds

Kapura

Banned
Empath really needs a team built around using her. A good, survivable carry, a strong mid, and another support hero with real disables. Empath is squishy as hell and very easy to destroy. She has 0 farming ability, so is almost entirely dependent on assist gold and towers (which she doesn't even help push well). Her skills are mana intense and she can't spam them until she has a chalice and several levels.

That being said, when she rides a carry he becomes a force of nature. Huge dps increase, moderate survivability increase, ability to cut off escape routes and stun runners, and the chase skill. Sogood. But if you don't survive to mid/lategame, it doesn't matter. Just way too squish.

Insured

valenti said:
Yep. Seriously quit. Gonna just focus on sc2 now
I don't see why you can't play both now and then, sc2 is an entirely different beast (at least I consider it a solo game for starters) and I'm playing both just fine.

vocab

Haven't played in a while, and I got 300 + gpm with puppet. I went 0-5 at the start and was the highest level hero in the game at the time. lol wtf.

Second game went horrible. Engineer sucks so much dick. The turret is a joke. I just can't play him in his current state. We were getting rolled in every team fight. Once my friend got his rice on with Maliken, and Kraken finally hit a godly ult, and my friend got his puzzlebox maxed out, it was gg.

Oh well. I'm only gonna play a game or two here or there. I used to play a shit load, but got burnt out, and played worse and worse. I was really getting there in terms of hitting another skill level, it just takes a good clean mentality, which I lack.

Insured

The only thing that really annoys me in engi is how small the turret's cast range is. In its current state I'd really like it to be closer to the keg range, it's really difficult to pull off a combo with the two skills without someone else's disables as well (unless you land a keg in melee range or something).

Meteorain

Sebulon3k said:
Well, I played my 1 empath game and it didn't go well.

Avoiding that hero, cause it just feeds and feeds and feeds

I got 1 game with her. It went awesomely.

She's such an awesome support to piss the other team off.

Swag

Kapura said:
Empath really needs a team built around using her. A good, survivable carry, a strong mid, and another support hero with real disables. Empath is squishy as hell and very easy to destroy. She has 0 farming ability, so is almost entirely dependent on assist gold and towers (which she doesn't even help push well). Her skills are mana intense and she can't spam them until she has a chalice and several levels.

That being said, when she rides a carry he becomes a force of nature. Huge dps increase, moderate survivability increase, ability to cut off escape routes and stun runners, and the chase skill. Sogood. But if you don't survive to mid/lategame, it doesn't matter. Just way too squish.

My thoughts exactly, the hero is so dependent on someone else being good at playing their hero or else you won't synergise well at all, knowing where good choke points are, knowing when to fight because the life drain will heal more then the damage being taken etc.

When I played her I was supporting an FA in lane, granted the hero is new and she probably didn't understand the skills but I rode her and told her she should be more aggressive and she sat there farming.

Either way, I think S2 did a hell of a good job on the hero, it's very fun to play because it's very engaging / rewarding compared to other supports and the skills synergise amazingly well. Also its one of the first S2 heroes where after playing with / against it for the first time I didn't feel that it's amazingly OP.

I bought HoN a couple weeks ago but hadn't put any time into it. Finally convinced some friends to buy it so I have someone to learn with. I guess my friend was expecting an easier ladder... he queued us for a 3v3 and we got absolutely destroyed. It wasn't pretty. We conceded with all of them at level 15 and us at level 7, but the game would have been over in a couple minutes anyway.

So we've just been doing some 2v1's against each other to figure out the heroes. I'm not sure that's going to prepare us for real play very well, but at least I'm getting some use out of the game now.

Just now figured out that you can create a solo practice game and screw around with heroes against creeps, will come in handy. Kind of embarrassed I didn't know about that before.

Meteorain

wonderdung said:
I bought HoN a couple weeks ago but hadn't put any time into it. Finally convinced some friends to buy it so I have someone to learn with. I guess my friend was expecting an easier ladder... he queued us for a 3v3 and we got absolutely destroyed. It wasn't pretty. We conceded with all of them at level 15 and us at level 7, but the game would have been over in a couple minutes anyway.

So we've just been doing some 2v1's against each other to figure out the heroes. I'm not sure that's going to prepare us for real play very well, but at least I'm getting some use out of the game now.

Just now figured out that you can create a solo practice game and screw around with heroes against creeps, will come in handy. Kind of embarrassed I didn't know about that before.

Have you guys clicked on the Tutorial option yet?

delirium

wonderdung said:

Try public no stat games. They are much much easier since the people usually playing them aren't tryhards.

I have decided on my playstyle now. I will pick support, go for bloodlust, then buy wards and striders and hope my team knows how to gank/carry. Easiest way to get coins.

Played my first Empath game last night. Our carries sucked but the Wildsoul put a Mock on his bear and forced them to concede at 30 minutes. Being in someone who drops makes her disappear for a few seconds.

Swag

Lone_Prodigy said:
I have decided on my playstyle now. I will pick support, go for bloodlust, then buy wards and striders and hope my team knows how to gank/carry. Easiest way to get coins.

Played my first Empath game last night. Our carries sucked but the Wildsoul put a Mock on his bear and forced them to concede at 30 minutes. Being in someone who drops makes her disappear for a few seconds.

Best way to win is pick a nuker, go middle, dominate the mid game.

It will be hard at first but trust me, it will make you a better player by far.

Examples are, Bubbles, Thunderbringer, Succubus, Wretched Hag, Devourer, Chipper

Meeru

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Best way to win is pick a nuker, go middle, dominate the mid game.

It will be hard at first but trust me, it will make you a better player by far.

Examples are, Bubbles, Thunderbringer, Succubus, Wretched Hag, Devourer, Chipper
Yeah this is true. Bubbles especially is awesome

zlatko

Banned
I stumbled upon this from Starcraft 2 forums and was wondering if anyone had a trial code or whatever so I could try it. The trailers looked interesting enough that if I got some hands on time I might buy the full version.

Meeru

Banned
zlatko said:
I stumbled upon this from Starcraft 2 forums and was wondering if anyone had a trial code or whatever so I could try it. The trailers looked interesting enough that if I got some hands on time I might buy the full version.
pm me your email

Swag

So I was feeling kinda guilty.

Procarbine, Alumnus, I was the Axe of the Malphi culprit. I knew the rage would be unbearable if I admitted to it, so I just kept silent.

I might have made a mistake getting one of my angriest friends into this game. Really frustrating when you're new. We're doing 2v2 no stats noob games and getting 15-0'd on hero kills. Every time he dies he screams in vent. Hopefully we figure it out soon or he's going to have a heart attack.

http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=29575634

So obviously we got out-farmed, but we spent a lot of time dead too. Did we just pick an awful team or was the team fine and we're just awful players?

wonderdung said:
I might have made a mistake getting one of my angriest friends into this game. Really frustrating when you're new. We're doing 2v2 no stats noob games and getting 15-0'd on hero kills. Every time he dies he screams in vent. Hopefully we figure it out soon or he's going to have a heart attack.

http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=29575634

So obviously we got out-farmed, but we spent a lot of time dead too. Did we just pick an awful team or was the team fine and we're just awful players?
Odds are you did everything wrong, which is perfectly normal. Dota is a game that takes hundreds of games just to get past the newbie hump.

The best advice I can give you is to play around with all of the heroes to at least get some idea regarding what they do.

zlatko

Banned
Tried out one game earlier tonight after the tutorials. Still felt really confused.

I joined a game titled 3v3 noobies only. After I died my 2nd time I start getting ripped on by my team. :/ Cool community.

Meeru

Banned
zlatko said:
Tried out one game earlier tonight after the tutorials. Still felt really confused.

I joined a game titled 3v3 noobies only. After I died my 2nd time I start getting ripped on by my team. :/ Cool community.
lol, dude..i wouldnt mind helping u out

zlatko

Banned
Meeru said:
lol, dude..i wouldnt mind helping u out

Lol it's cool. I just thought it was really hypocritical to label your game "noobs only," and a noob joins then you turn elitist on him. smh over the irony of that.

I'll wait till I'm 5 games in out of my 10 before trying to venture out more or making any decisions about the game. The game seems really well thought and a lot of fun just from the tutorial and the 1 game I was in.

The vast choices of Heroes is a bit daunting though and I'm not too share which would fit my aggressive style. I tried rampage I think it was, and didn't feel like I was doing it right.

Any suggestions on noob friendly aggressive roles? I'd like a lot of hit points, so I can afford to run away if need be so I don't die so often. The times I tried to run in that game I couldn't get too far without being hit from projectiles.

Meeru

Banned
zlatko said:
Lol it's cool. I just thought it was really hypocritical to label your game "noobs only," and a noob joins then you turn elitist on him. smh over the irony of that.

I'll wait till I'm 5 games in out of my 10 before trying to venture out more or making any decisions about the game. The game seems really well thought and a lot of fun just from the tutorial and the 1 game I was in.

The vast choices of Heroes is a bit daunting though and I'm not too share which would fit my aggressive style. I tried rampage I think it was, and didn't feel like I was doing it right.

Any suggestions on noob friendly aggressive roles? I'd like a lot of hit points, so I can afford to run away if need be so I don't die so often. The times I tried to run in that game I couldn't get too far without being hit from projectiles.
So you like the tanker kind of role. Legionaaire is definiately a nice hero for tanking. He has a particular strategy where you just jungle the neutral creeps until you grab a portal key, where his usefulness rises.

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=11992

The above link has EVERYTHING you need to know bout him. Its a long guide, but worth a read.

zlatko

Banned
Meeru said:
So you like the tanker kind of role. Legionaaire is definiately a nice hero for tanking. He has a particular strategy where you just jungle the neutral creeps until you grab a portal key, where his usefulness rises.

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=11992

The above link has EVERYTHING you need to know bout him. Its a long guide, but worth a read.

Holy titty balls at how long that guide is haha. I'm up to the skill buy order portion, and what items to purchase. I'll set aside some time to absorb all this tomorrow before jumping into it to try it out.

Any other classes that are a similar? Maybe with a high health pool and range capabilities, but not amazing damage, but still not crap damage. Just want to read up on the basics of a few classes that might fit my style and Leg. def sounds about right, but having options is always good. ;)

Meeru

Banned
Hmm. Defiler is a nice ranged nuke hero that can be a very strong tank late game. The thing is...she needs mid lane imo (mid lane usually gets solo)

zlatko said:

haha yeah, community is a dumpster, it's always funny though cause whenever someone dies, it's always someone else's fault

Top Bottom