• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

I don't really think disabling allied chat is a good solution. Sometimes people do have something good to say. Probably better to just mute the offenders.

Neoweee

I would never do the all-mute. 80% of players are cool, it's just a few dicks that push too far.

I'm straddling the line between friendly/encouraging chatty guy, and asshole. I very rarely discuss other people's specific plays or tactics, but I will go off if people are being dicks or overly critical to the rest of the team.

I often suggest my team ignore douches. More often than not, ignoring the ass is a clear, discernible turning point in the team, for the better.

Valus

So since the patch yesterday I've had a minor problem with Zeratul. Apparently if I don't actively attack something in a certain amount of time (not sure what it is) the game thinks I'm afk and I get a big red text block of death on my screen saying basically "do something in the next 45 seconds or we'll ban you." Now I would get that if I'm straight up afk, but I'm running around and shit come on. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't really think disabling allied chat is a good solution. Sometimes people do have something good to say. Probably better to just mute the offenders.
Dat avatar tho

Alavard

So since the patch yesterday I've had a minor problem with Zeratul. Apparently if I don't actively attack something in a certain amount of time (not sure what it is) the game thinks I'm afk and I get a big red text block of death on my screen saying basically "do something in the next 45 seconds or we'll ban you." Now I would get that if I'm straight up afk, but I'm running around and shit come on. Hopefully they fix this soon.

I didn't realize there was any in-game afk warnings/notifications (I also don't play Nova or Zeratul) though. I looked around (quickly) in the general discussion forums on bnet and didn't see any discussion of anyone else having this issue. Might be something to submit to the bug report forum, so that they can fine tune the thing a little better for certain characters.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woah they removed the AI XP cap

subwilde

Does anyone know the difference between Versus AI difficulty and the custom game AI? There are options in custom game but I'm not sure what VS AI defaults to

Yoshichan

I read it on Reddit

Alur

That has been in there for quite a while. It's not "do something in the next 45 seconds or we'll ban you" it says "do something in the next 45 seconds or you will be kicked from the (as in THIS PARTICULAR) game". It triggers after you having done nothing for a decent period even before that. Depending on the mode you're playing you'll get put in leaver queue with other AFKers as well.

TBH there's no reason you should be running around for 45 seconds without attacking something. Even on Zeratul you can help clear waves - particularly if you are in a scenario where you're going 45 secs (plus whatever the timer is to kick in the 45 sec warning) without engaging in a teamfight or attempt to gank of some kind.

There's pretty much no excuse to be that passive which is why the timer exists in the first place.

Woah they removed the AI XP cap

Rejoice! Too bad they did after both 100% EXP boosts eh?

Alavard

Versus A.I. is set to jar of mayonnaise.

The problem with Versus AI is that the reflexes of the AI are quite good, but their decision-making is very bad. And this seems to be doubly bad for any AI allies you have. Playing solo in Versus AI can be very easy when you're an Assassin that can handle easy kills and objectives, and hair-pulling when you're a more team-dependent character.

I play Versus AI solo a fair bit to get certain daily quests out of the way or when I know I may have to pause the game at any time.

Alur

So, Malfurion or BW, in terms of Healing

When the patch hit everyone pretty much said BW was going to be okay. Even on Dreadnaught's new patch support analysis he said he thought she would be fine, but definitely a different playstyle. Once patch hit people were thinking it was Rehgar > Malf >>> BW > Uther.

Flash forward and she's pretty much considered the worst of the actual healers universally now. Dreadnaught and co even picked Lili over her in the last tournament finals, for example. Now it's more like Rehgar >> Malfurion > Uther >>> Lili/BW.

As kirblar said, she's still useful in a gank comp or if you went two support...but honestly if you go two support you're better off with Tassadar or Tyrande + one of the other healers IMO. She just can't provide enough sustain as your solo queue healer anymore IMO. Her numbers have gotten so low she can be regularly outhealed by Tyrande with the Overflowing Light talent at this point unless you make it to 20 and take the Soothing Mists talent at that level.

I main support with our group and we just don't pick her anymore. I'll take the new insane burst from late game Rehgar, Malf's sustain, or Uther's big targeted heals + Divine Shield + stun and even Lili's blinds any day over what she has to provide right now.

Zafir

I generally main support if I do HL, and Rehgar has become my primary healer now pretty much. Used to be Brightwing unless the composition we had was more of a dive comp.

As you say, her healing just seems too little now making her closer to Tass and Tyrande in that she probably couldn't solo support.

When the patch hit everyone pretty much said BW was going to be okay. Even on Dreadnaught's new patch support analysis he said he thought she would be fine, but definitely a different playstyle. Once patch hit people were thinking it was Rehgar > Malf >>> BW > Uther.

Flash forward and she's pretty much considered the worst of the actual healers universally now. Dreadnaught and co even picked Lili over her in the last tournament finals, for example. Now it's more like Rehgar >> Malfurion > Uther >>> Lili/BW.

As kirblar said, she's still useful in a gank comp or if you went two support...but honestly if you go two support you're better off with Tassadar or Tyrande + one of the other healers IMO. She just can't provide enough sustain as your solo queue healer anymore IMO. Her numbers have gotten so low she can be regularly outhealed by Tyrande with the Overflowing Light talent at this point unless you make it to 20 and take the Soothing Mists talent at that level.

I main support with our group and we just don't pick her anymore. I'll take the new insane burst from late game Rehgar, Malf's sustain, or Uther's big targeted heals + Divine Shield + stun and even Lili's blinds any day over what she has to provide right now.

BRB buying Rehgar

Llyranor

Regardless of optimal healing, Rhegar and Brightwing have been my favorite healers, not a huge fan of the others. The wolf shape and phase shift are just such good abilities and add a nice twist to those heroes.

And I've still had good success mitigating damage in team fights as Bw via polymorph and (ability damage reducing bouncing to a 2nd hero) pixie dust, as well as shielding via phase shift (on a reduced cooldown). It's just a more proactive rather than reactive support role now, kind of like Tassa-chan.

Alur

I generally main support if I do HL, and Rehgar has become my primary healer now pretty much. Used to be Brightwing unless the composition we had was more of a dive comp.

As you say, her healing just seems too little now making her closer to Tass and Tyrande in that she probably couldn't solo support.

Yeah when I solo queue HL on my other account I do as well. Rehgar with Tidal Waves + Rewind now is kind of like having two Ancestral Healings on command. Lots of burst in the late game and Tidal Waves is pretty awesome period.

BRB buying Rehgar

He's very fun. Nothing like a good butt bite kill (Feral Lunge at 13).

And I've still had good success mitigating damage in team fights as Bw via polymorph and (ability damage reducing bouncing to a 2nd hero) pixie dust, as well as shielding via phase shift (on a reduced cooldown). It's just a more proactive rather than reactive support role now, kind of like Tassa-chan.

Yep. She's definitely still functional and has her place, it's just kind of like you said - she's not the optimal choice now like she was last patch when she dominated everyone else by a good degree.

I do wish she had just a little more healing because she is/was my favorite as well. It feels a bit like they took too much away in that regard, though more utility is nice. She could've at least kept the healing numbers she had but had all the other changes with talents etc. It'd be nice if you talented into phase shift shield it didn't take two seconds to go off, however. It's a bit of a liability in the middle of an actual team fight and you are sort of forced to pre-shield and then hope your teammate rotates out to get another because if they stay in the middle of the engagement you have as good a chance of getting you both killed as you do saving him/her.

Valus

There's pretty much no excuse to be that passive which is why the timer exists in the first place.

Really? Isn't it there so that you get punished for being afk? It doesn't make sense to put that same punishment on people in the game, regardless of what they are doing.

Also I think something is different regardless, I've been playing Zeratul for months and only yesterday did this message start coming up. I doubt my gameplay has changed enough that all of a sudden I'm super passive (which I'm not) and not doing shit in matches.

Alur

Really? Isn't it there so that you get punished for being afk? It doesn't make sense to put that same punishment on people in the game, regardless of what they are doing.

Also I think something is different regardless, I've been playing Zeratul for months and only yesterday did this message start coming up. I doubt my gameplay has changed enough that all of a sudden I'm super passive (which I'm not) and not doing shit in matches.

If you're doing nothing for more than 45 seconds (which you'd have to be to both prompt the timer and then have the timer count down) then you are as good as AFK. Like I said, there's pretty much no scenario where that can happen and you be actively participating in the game. Even something as simple as attacking a minion resets the timer.

kirblar

Day To End ‏@daytoend86 9h9 hours ago

@DustinBrowder (1/2) in last 15 years of online gaming i have never seen so many people claiming innocence over bans.
0 retweets 0 favorites

Dustin Browder
‏@DustinBrowder

@daytoend86 Investigation is underway.
No surprise, good to have confirmation.

I actually enjoy playing as Brightwing more now that she doesn't have a metric fuck-ton of generic talents. She's kinda helpless in the face of high burst damage line ups but pretty good at sustain and I like the talents they've added for her global tp. Healing Mist decreasing the CD and revealing all units on tp in can both be pretty handy.

Ronabo

I bought Abby since I like support.

It's like playing a completely different game as him. Almost like playing an RTS.

Alur

I actually enjoy playing as Brightwing more now that she doesn't have a metric fuck-ton of generic talents. She's kinda helpless in the face of high burst damage line ups but pretty good at sustain and I like the talents they've added for her global tp. Healing Mist decreasing the CD and revealing all units on tp in can both be pretty handy.

Peekaboo is super fun. Really neat little talent. I was shocked at the radius first time I picked it.

Damm Rehgar is like unkillable and can be agressive at the same time

Yep he is great at escape. I wouldn't get too aggressive til you have Feral Lunge and only then when you know you can guarantee or secure a kill with Lunge or Lunge + Earthbind.

A lot of Rehgar's take his melee damage a little too seriously and get to feeding. Just have to remember that first and foremost your job is to heal...you just happen to be able to take 1/5th to 1/4th off of some heroes health every 3 seconds after 13 when the opportunity is there. You can also function as the occasional dps sponge if your tank or melee needs to rotate out but you've gotta be careful with it.

I bought Abby since I like support.

It's like playing a completely different game as him. Almost like playing an RTS.

It is like playing chess and the other heroes are checkers.

I can't claim to be anything better than below average at best with him, but davemo used to run him a lot and got pretty decent. He feels better this patch for whatever reason versus before. Until this patch I really disliked having him pop up as a random in our groups in QM or HL, but it's went better of late for whatever reason.

I feel like every time I see you now you have a new avatar! I had to double take a few posts back before I realized it was you lol

Celegus

I've played about 25 hours in total so far, and I've only spent $15. I bought the $4.99 Starter Pack and Sylvanas for $9.99. I own more than a dozen heroes now, and used gold to buy the rest.

I've played about that long and have only bought the $5 pack and Johanna for 10k gold. I have no problems with the pricing structure, and having 7 free dudes a week to pick from is plenty. Half the time there's one or two I don't even have a chance to try.

Zafir

I actually don't take Feral Lunge as much these days(Used to always take it), due to the buff to Chain Heal because of Tidal Waves, I often go for Healing Surge instead. Kind of depends on the game though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I feel like every time I see you now you have a new avatar! I had to double take a few posts back before I realized it was you lol

image.php

Kioshen

I've played about that long and have only bought the $5 pack and Johanna for 10k gold. I have no problems with the pricing structure, and having 7 free dudes a week to pick from is plenty. Half the time there's one or two I don't even have a chance to try.

While me at the other hand of the spectrum I've plunked around 115$ in this game after doing a quick tally ... at least it's not as much as Hearthstone ... yet. Halp !

At least now that I have only 7-8 heroes left to have, there's not much left that I want really to have at all times.

Celegus

While me at the other hand of the spectrum I've plunked around 115$ in this game after doing a quick tally ... at least it's not as much as Hearthstone ... yet. Halp !

At least now that I have only 7-8 heroes left to have, there's not much left that I want really to have at all times.

Yeeeaaah I'm way too cheap for that. I love this game and Hearthstone, but if they're going to make it viable to play without spending money, I'm all aboard that train.

That's why you gotta marry a guildie, then it's a welcomed and shared expense.

Ever since they did the massive talent overhaul and removed ETC's generic talents I kinda stopped liking the hero. A lot of it comes down to him losing Superiority. He can get temporary damage reduction on powerslide and lifesteal on right click later but I feel like I've gone from being a tank and an initiator to just an initiator. Death Metal or the ability to move Mosh Pit around are neat additions but he sorta feels more limited than before. Like I used to be able to merc easier, tank the boss and/or objectives better.

patchday

Wow some of you guys are really big spenders. that is awesome that you are supporting the game that much!

Myself I actually been playing LoL instead of HOTS. I really got my start in HOTS but have found 'some' of my skills have transferred over. Such as- the hotkeys are similar, et (same genre and all helps)

Nothing wrong with HOTS. But I always wanted to experiment with the major MOBAs and sort of settle into my favorite one eventually.

Pricing structure: Like has been said, HOTS is great for casuals with the quests. The only problem with the quests is I feel led by the nose. I only have like an hour or more to play a night. And most of that is gone into fulfilling the quest such as "Play 3 as support". Whereas in other mobas I can just play the hero I want to play and get rewarded. In the end, it really comes down to what floats your boat. In other mobas, the characters do not have lip sync far as I know. In HOTS, you at least see them speaking in the shop. Minor feature but sort of adds to their value

Some things I like more in LoL:
- Bigger hero selection (HOTS will eventually feel really full around 60ish)
- Just play the hero you like and get awarded
- Blind pick and draft pick available day 1. HOTS quickmatch system feels a bit watered down
- I get to pick the map I want. I was already sick to death of that new Eternity map in HOTS and had no way to choose another. I'm sure one day I'll learn to love it like the rest

Disclaimer: I still have yet to do Hero League in HOTS even though I'm like L32

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I refuse to participate in this ungodly discussion going on right now

Yoshichan

The heck is up with Alurs avatar :(?

Alur

I refuse to participate in this ungodly discussion going on right now

We know you the one with the record. We know.

The heck is up with Alurs avatar :(?

Why the sad face?

That's our team logo for me, davemo (dmosher on GAF), Gundy (Gundy2010 on GAF), EZgameEZlyfe (Milly79), and protonium (a pleb who hasn't been approved yet) in the July NA Open Saturday. You'll be able to watch us get rekt in the first or second round.

Our team name is Stronk Tenk. Logo is a pun. :D

Alur

For those on the East Coast who were in the lurch during primetime and the like with lag, tonight our group got put on a new server named US10.

My ping instantly went from 125-infinity from 7 PM to 10 PM to 40-50ms like it was in Alpha and Closed Beta. davemo and I were even at 22ms in one Haunted Mines and my ping never rose above 30ms that game.

There are threads on the forum and on reddit about Verizon FIOS people getting rekt by this new server due to some issue (and it was disabled sometime tonight to fix that issue), but if you are on TWC/Cox/etc. this is a godsend.

Kioshen

For those on the East Coast who were in the lurch during primetime and the like with lag, tonight our group got put on a new server named US10.

My ping instantly went from 125-infinity from 7 PM to 10 PM to 40-50ms like it was in Alpha and Closed Beta. davemo and I were even at 22ms in one Haunted Mines and my ping never rose above 30ms that game.

There are threads on the forum and on reddit about Verizon FIOS people getting rekt by this new server due to some issue (and it was disabled sometime tonight to fix that issue), but if you are on TWC/Cox/etc. this is a godsend.

Praise lord gaben !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom