• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

I know complaining about matchmaking is tired, but ugh.

My team's muradin: Player level 12, 35 games played.
My team's nova: Player level 18, 35 games played

Enemy valla: Player level 40, rank 1 hero league, 1735 games

------
Edit:
okay, hotslogs updated and I gues the mmr match checks out:
Enemy team's hotslogs mmr:
1700/3350(valla)/1526/1575/777(wut) = avg 1785

My teams mmr:
2838(me)/1490/1700/1234/1700 = 1792

Problem is that valla farmed my whole team all game and I couldn't carry nearly as well. I feel like the 777 guy is what ruined the matchmaking, because he only has 3 games played and was obviously better than a 777 mmr.

Even though the mmr averages out to be about even, putting anyone on my team against a 3350 valla is kind of silly.

Well this is the problem with the system. It matchmakes on averages and that doesn't tell the whole story. There is the whole problem of mmr meaning nothing if the player is playing a hero they haven't played before. There is the issue where newer players are going to be worse at the game even if they get lucky and win a few games pushing them up to higher mmr levels.

QM will never be perfect due to selecting an hero first, but HL should be better than it currently is.
They really ought to add a GAME IS READY Confirmation Pop-Up like DoTA or LoL.

Would solve alot of AFK problem I feel.

Ranked definitely needs it.

I don't really see it happen much at all in QM.

Well this is the problem with the system. It matchmakes on averages and that doesn't tell the whole story. There is the whole problem of mmr meaning nothing if the player is playing a hero they haven't played before. There is the issue where newer players are going to be worse at the game even if they get lucky and win a few games pushing them up to higher mmr levels.

QM will never be perfect due to selecting an hero first, but HL should be better than it currently is..

Yeah. I honestly don't mind playing vs a high level valla, but I just want the rest of both teams to closer to the the same skill. I'd rather wait a few more minutes to find a match and get one where everyone is 2700-3300 than have a game where one person is 777 and another is 3350. The gap is just too big.

Alur

Definitely something I'd love to see.

Nail on the head.

Average MMR matchmaking + being able to queue or select basically hero creates issues. Removing MMR average matchmaking and going to strictly MMR windowed matchmaking would help, but we'd still have the other issue.

It's also worth noting that for the majority of the time (60% or more) it does match within a 200-300 MMR window (at least once you get out of the lower tiers)...but as more and more people have gotten in that has gotten further and further spread.

My personal hope is at least for hero league they can get MMR and rank in line so that we can have something like a rank 20-30 bracket, a rank 30-40 bracket, etc and people will play against and move up or down against their actual peers instead of an algorithm of average MMR levels.

No matter what they do, though, you can't fix people playing heroes they aren't competent with.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My next game:

My teams avg mmr: 2605
Enemy team avg mmr: 1707

Total stomp, ended 5 levels ahead of them. :-/

You need to stop obsessing over QM, it's busted and you're only going to drive yourself crazy trying to find reason in it

Yup, and they have a similar system for WoW with dungeon queues. Queue and then click ready when a team is found but that's only half of the problem. They also need a connection lobby screen and to return players to queue if someone takes more than a minute or two to load into the game. Staring at a loading screen for five minutes flat out sucks and I understand why people alt-tab out.

At the very least they could add a task bar flash to the exe for alt-tabbed people for when the match actually begins rather than have it on the initial load in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I JUST WOKE UP

LET'S FUCKING DO THIS

ROBOT-TASSADAR HYPE!!!!!!!!!

Ketch

did it

EqsvaGi.png

Yep. He was hitting hooks left and right.

Problem is that even if you're hitting your hooks, he still needs someone on his team to follow up on it.

Like a Tyrande that can actually land a stun or something.

Saprol

RIP. Lost Haunted Mine with 13% left on the core. I'm surprised it even came down to a base race given how often our team got picked off. Not sure if it would have been closer to ditch casting carapace on the core and instead hat somebody who was attacking.
thinking.gif

I just noticed the LVL1 and LVL16 skills are for the W, not Q. My team wasn't sticking all that well to their targets. Would have liked the carapace or locust talents more. D:

Maledict

Social media up this kind of crap. Ignore what Cooby says- the more public pressure, the better.

Yeah, I have no idea what that was about.

The game is broken, it's missing some very basic stuff, and he tells people to stop complaining about it because he's tired of hearing it or something?

I mean, blizzard probably lost 5 new players in that game I described a couple of pages back. The system is still junk, and fixing it has to be one of the top priorities of the game right now.

Celegus

I have been topping all 4 stats with Leoric along with having the best K:D and constantly saving teammates. He struggles at getting mercs, but otherwise he is kind of a god.

Was meaning to ask what your typical build is or if you have any tips. I'm still kind of having a rough time with him.

I would drop HotS like a flaming sack of dog shit if it became Activisions MOBA/Smash Bros mash-up. I don't mind Blizzards own games being used in HotS, it's why I like it, but the moment Spyro Skylanders, Tony Hawk and other Activision ilk are in this shit, it's jumped the shark.

Syf

Banned
I would drop HotS like a flaming sack of dog shit if it became Activisions MOBA/Smash Bros mash-up. I don't mind Blizzards own games being used in HotS, it's why I like it, but the moment Spyro Skylanders, Tony Hawk and other Activision ilk are in this shit, it's jumped the shark.
Same, I play this for the Blizzard characters. The day they add some Call of Duty or whatever shit, is the day I uninstall this game and try my best to forget about it.

Syf

Banned
Though it could just be assy speculation from the interviewer or shacknews tbh. I think this is the original article and there's no quote about adding franchises from the Activision side, just the dumb subtitle.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hey, at least it's more characters to get to 10, right? lol

Yoshichan

Moff

why would they make a ghuldan skin for azmodan? ghuldan will surely be an own character sometimes.
first I thought it was a christmas skin, he looks like an evil santa claus, I don't like it at all.

Destiny, Call of Duty, and other Activision franchises could be added to Heroes of the Storm

http://www.shacknews.com/article/90...nchises-could-be-added-to-heroes-of-the-storm
Crash might live!!!! Some of the alien races from destiny honestly wouldn't be too bad IMO.

Also hello HeroesGAF!!!! This is my first post here after a bit of lurking and I have a few questions, but I just took some dopey drugs for an illness so I'm gonna wait until I can comprehend the answers. I just wanted to pop in and say hello before that.

Crash might live!!!! Some of the alien races from destiny honestly wouldn't be too bad IMO.

Also hello HeroesGAF!!!! This is my first post here after a bit of lurking and I have a few questions, but I just took some dopey drugs for an illness so I'm gonna wait until I can comprehend the answers. I just wanted to pop in and say hello before that.

Hello and welcome.

Zafir

Werd

Really liking Abathur. He's got to be one of the most engaging to play since you can hop around the map at will looking for action and need to watch for teammates in trouble/enemies threatening Abathur himself. Even in the 3 second cooldown you need to toss down mines and such.

10K gold heroes are the main ones I want to buy on sale since it's the biggest discount and he's never been on sale for the ~5 months I've played, so I'll probably give it a little while to see if he finally shows up but definitely want to get him.

Interfectum

Destiny, Call of Duty, and other Activision franchises could be added to Heroes of the Storm

http://www.shacknews.com/article/90...nchises-could-be-added-to-heroes-of-the-storm

Someone from reddit:

Alright guys, I read the Dutch original and I'll give you the central points.
  • The name 'Activision' is only ever used by the writer of the article, not the Blizzard employee. I assume the former misinterpreted the Blizzard games mentioned as being 'Activision games'.
  • Interviewee mentions only SC II and Overwatch. He says Artanis is an example of how two teams (SC II and HOTS) love eachothers' games and are excited to work together.
  • Usually it would take 6 months to a year for a new hero to make it into HOTS, but Artanis was an exception to this rule because the HOTS team was approached by the SC people.
  • The same exception could be made for Overwatch heroes, if that team also approaches the HOTS team.
  • If you pre-order the next SC expansion, you get Artanis in HOTS

Lots of people seem to think it's a mistranslation and "between teams" means between Blizzard teams not Activision. Typical Shacknews clickbait bullshit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

EEewwwww, that sounds like a horrible idea. Why not add non Blizzard cards to Hearthstone too? Why stop there, add a Call of Duty battleground level to the WoW expansion, have Tony Hawk became a Terran unit in Starcraft too!

Activision, don't fuck with Blizzard, they know how to do what they do and they do it just dandy without your meddling or interaction. If it aint' broke don't go trying to fix it!!!!

Interfectum

EEewwwww, that sounds like a horrible idea. Why not add non Blizzard cards to Hearthstone too? Why stop there, add a Call of Duty battleground level to the WoW expansion, have Tony Hawk became a Terran unit in Starcraft too!

Activision, don't fuck with Blizzard, they know how to do what they do and they do it just dandy without your meddling or interaction. If it aint' broke don't go trying to fix it!!!!

Read my previous reply. It's most likely an error on Shacknews part as the guy at Blizzard never mentioned Activision games. "Between teams" means between internal teams at Blizzard.

So traveling for work for a little while, I figured i'd try out HotS on my 2013 Macbook Air (the first Haswell model).

Well... it *runs*. Not well, but with everything set to low, it's juuuuuust playable. It's odd though, it's almost like I need to re-learn the visual language of the game going from my 2560*1440 home monitor to the janky 1366*768 resolution the MBA uses. Not to mention dropping from the ultra models to the low models, it actually takes a touch of time to recognize some things. The teensy travel mouse probably isn't helping my play much either.

But still... playable!

I know it's a misquote... but...

I want Bobby Kotick in the game! His ultimate would have to be a choice between "Annualize: force enemy hero to use their talents over and over as fast as possible until they run out of mana" and "Cross-Brand Synergy: sprinkle Red Bull, Doritos, and Mountian Dew products in a radius; enemy cannot use any skills until all branded products are collected"

Alur

So some stuff from THH I found interesting after listening fully last night:

• They seem convinced KT went from being a monster at 16 to a monster period - almost to the point where Blizzard will have to tone him down yet again. The impression from folks I've played with seem to be the same. There was lots of complaining here and everywhere else about the changes prior to seeing it in action, though. Thoughts? Is this like the second or third talent rework they've done to change a playstyle that actually didn't fail?
  • Monk will be a viable solo support below Rehgar and Uther but at Malfurion's level (for NA - EU uses Malf more). I'm not convinced about solo support versus one of those three names, but with Tassadar or more likely Tyrande? Sure.
  • Kerrigan's buffs plus the pre-Cleanse nerf means she's gonna be OP. Think we all knew this though.
  • Jake thinks Brightwing will see play now with the passive increase. I think monk will get that spot cause he kind of does the exact same thing (minus poly), only better and with a better heroic.

I don't play PTR so i ask. Impressions on how the monk is? I watched the video blizz had but he seems a bit squishy.

He's heals. Of course he's squishy :p. People think he's going to be a viable solo support competitively so pretty good. At the very least he's damn fun and will couple very well with some melee and Tyrande.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom