• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka_bueno

3-1 queuing solo in HL for tonight, I get nervous every time I queue solo (which is 95% of the time) but I think I'm doing alright so far. Leoric is still awesome, and I traded in Thrall for Zeratul for my Assassin play and I'm loving Zera quite a bit!

...But Sonya is actually good, she's just not top tier or anything.

I loved her because of the 50% reduced AI damage in her second tier, which let me ignore cannons and minions in the early game and take down bosses solo in the mid/late game.

She was my favorite pugging hero because I could do shit even if my team was a mess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I loved her because of the 50% reduced AI damage in her second tier, which let me ignore cannons and minions in the early game and take down bosses solo in the mid/late game.

She was my favorite pugging hero because I could do shit even if my team was a mess.

They merged the dmg from minion talent with mercenary lord. You now have 2 talents for the price of one.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just don't yolo solo, and be one of *those* E.T.C players :)

I have only ever played with 2-3 other people with me in Mumble, so I've been able to coordinate some savage beat downs around the moshes. I can imagine it's not as useful of an ultimate solo queued.

Hmm maybe you want to re-read the patch notes, now you get 50%reduced damage AND minions do more damage around you. And she got a buff to baseline whirlwind and health. They did nerf the tanking towers/keeps etc aspect though, but overall feels like a stronger talent, or at least breaks even.

I have only ever played with 2-3 other people with me in Mumble, so I've been able to coordinate some savage beat downs around the moshes. I can imagine it's not as useful of an ultimate solo queued.

Well, you can imagine how useful a mosh pit is with no one around, and perhaps be suprised how often you see this :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is that 2 whole fucks? What's the exchange rate on fucks to mehs?

Meh implies having seen something and feeling indifferent. No Fucks means you didn't seen/played/done said thing because you have actual zero interest in it.

So no exchange rate :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
> Rank 11
> This guy doesn't know about Monk being a support

Oh well, on a positive note. Kharazim is still a really fun character - just got his ass to 9. The struggle to 10 continues.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Btw, when is the new map being released? I thought it was in PTR?

Azmodan is super weird and fun. His globe is really satisfying to nail someone with.

Yup. The thing I was always forgetting when I first started using Azzy was just how *long* the range on the Globe really is. You can hit people shockingly far away; it's fun to nail someone who thinks they have successfully disengaged and is running away.

Interfectum

Yup. The thing I was always forgetting when I first started using Azzy was just how *long* the range on the Globe really is. You can hit people shockingly far away; it's fun to nail someone who thinks they have successfully disengaged and is running away.

The best is nailing someone at the healing fountain or just as they try to hearthstone out.

Yoshichan

I'm glad I'm not the only one complaining about how shit the match making in HL seems to be. I don't know if this is a new issue or not, but I have yet to be placed with another person with a similar ranking as me.

The past 5 or so games, I've been matched up with unranked people and rank 40s. I've even gotten a few PMs after the games asking "why the hell did they place me with you"?

The new Kerrigan Q build is really fun. 10% heal every time you q, get a mana and cooldown refund if you get a kill on anything, and the shield talents for crazy tankiness. In minion waves you just spam q on anything with half health and clear the whole wave instantly. Builds a ton of shields up and heals you for 10% each minion - you can go from half health to full + 2k shields in one minion wave once you have all the shield talents. Feels tankier than some of the bruiser warriors.

Maledict

They appear to have accidently removed Battlefield of Eternity from the map rotations list with the patch - no-one I know has played it, and hotslogs has 0 games on that map with Kharazim.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I feel you on that. SO MUCH body blocking by your own team. Fucking shameful.

Teammates body blocking you? You gotta take that into account and try to escape sooner or position differently. It happens a lot
Doesn't necessarily work that way. See, what often happens is enemies are rolling in wrecking shit. Your entire team is too chicken shit to do anything so they kind of dance around watching the enemy team completely get away with it.

So you, if you know what you're doing, realize that the timing might be tight, but you can actually time things correctly to drop something and move back out before they can respond... or at least that is how it would work if your team didn't take your moving in as a signal to all-in and run up right behind you, and then proceed to use you as a shield before they die themselves because they have no comprehension of timing and ranges.

gryvan

Most of my deaths are from everyone in my way, when I try to escape.

I usually body block enemy players with my murky with bubbles half the time to help my allies escape and the other half to annoy. Annoyed the fuck out of them to the point they just chase me forever

Yoshichan

25/50 goblins killed... I feel that only 1/3rd of my games have goblins in them :(

Rizzi

Team mates blocking your escape?
epz5910.png

Alur

Virtual ticket for Blizzcon is up for sale, but still no word on what the in-game loot is. Somehow I doubt it'll approach the awesomeness of the Nexus Charger.

25/50 goblins killed... I feel that only 1/3rd of my games have goblins in them :(

Definitely appears to be less goblins around, for sure.

Alur

> Rank 11
> This guy doesn't know about Monk being a support

Had it happen to me in my first two HL games at 3k+ MMR. I healed ~115k and landed several good Palms but we lost as our tank (the complainer) just kept running away from the rest of the us and getting killed. He started draft by saying "could we get a real support plz" "monk is not real support".

At the end of the game he says, "like i said, difference between a good healer and a bad one".

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm glad I'm not the only one complaining about how shit the match making in HL seems to be. I don't know if this is a new issue or not, but I have yet to be placed with another person with a similar ranking as me.

The past 5 or so games, I've been matched up with unranked people and rank 40s. I've even gotten a few PMs after the games asking "why the hell did they place me with you"?

Your rank is just a number. The hidden MMR is still the real measure. For example I had higher MMR on account #2 but was not rank 1, however on account #3 I was rank 1 with lower MMR by about ~300 MMR. It was simply because I hadn't played enough games yet, but that's also why people in placement (or before this patch, new people to HL) end up in games with high ranked players. They get on a good run and the MMR inflates.

The hope was this reset would change some of that, but it seems not. Spyrian responded on the official forums about it:

Spyrian said:
Placement games are played in the exact same queue, with the same player pool, as all other Hero League games. They're not separate.

Everyone's ranks were reset with the patch -even players at the top of the ranking system. Matchmaking ratings were not reset, meaning those placement players probably have a similar rating to your own. You never know...They might also be headed for rank 5 at the end of their placements.

What do you get for killing all these goblins?

A portrait for killing 50 of em.

Rizzi

Had it happen to me in my first two HL games at 3k+ MMR. I healed ~115k and landed several good Palms but we lost as our tank (the complainer) just kept running away from the rest of the us and getting killed. He started draft by saying "could we get a real support plz" "monk is not real support".

At the end of the game he says, "like i said, difference between a good healer and a bad one".

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Your rank is just a number. The hidden MMR is still the real measure. For example I had higher MMR on account #2 but was not rank 1, however on account #3 I was rank 1 with lower MMR by about ~300 MMR. It was simply because I hadn't played enough games yet, but that's also why people in placement (or before this patch, new people to HL) end up in games with high ranked players. They get on a good run and the MMR inflates.

The hope was this reset would change some of that, but it seems not. Spyrian responded on the official forums about it:

A portrait for killing 50 of em.

Well that's boring.

brian!

Yeah a lot of ppl misunderstanding the ranked changes. To be clear: they are trying to make the 1-50 ranking more accurate, nothing about mmr/mm has changed beyond eliminating 5-man groups.

Maledict

I still don't see how it can be accurate, and how they can achieve their "each rank is 2% of the playerbase", when its impossible to drop ranks from 40 to 50. At some point you *will* win eough matches in a row to go up a rank...

From wht I can tell, the only real purpose of this change was to push existing playes down in rank, and remove some of the rank 1 players who got there with a ridiculous skill bonus and tiny number of matches. There seems to be a hard cap on the rank you can start it - no-one is getting higher than rank 5 after their placement matches, so you then have to grind up from there.

The entire system doesn't work to be honest, and I don't think it ever will. They should just have different leagues like in LoL, or Starcraft. The entire thing is obtuse, confusing and defies common sense.

Wow, compared to others patches I am in a losing streak in this one, the enemy team just simply out damage us in the first TFs and its a lost cause after that, they got map control for the rest of the map.

I think they are trying to reorganize it so it's less easy to climb since it was kind of simple before, i appreciate their attempt to get it closer to mmr (and i assume this will be done again in the future)

I do prefer the other moba systems but i kind of feel they are in this identity limbo with it

Like my preferred way of ranking is showing actual mmr and then making categories out of the ranges based on stats, but that seems to go against everything blizz wants for this game.

They want to keep it opaque i think? Where ppl can exist in ranked without assigning really arbitrary measures of skill to the ranks (but once you pass rank 1, which is kind of easy to achieve if you maintain a positive ratio, an actual numbered person to person ranking can emerge), especially since this moba is more dependent on other players on the team for success. Having named ranged ranks would probably go against the casualness that they are trying to foster

I think the point of ranked is to be hard to climb, Hell I made it to 20 (then got demoted to 24), some of the HL I was playing looked like QM with people doing some easy mistakes you can do in ranked and not get punished like LoL where one mistake can be a nightmare for your whole team

brian!

I think they are trying to reorganize it so it's less easy to climb since it was kind of simple before, i appreciate their attempt to get it closer to mmr (and i assume this will be done again in the future)

I do prefer the other moba systems but i kind of feel they are in this identity limbo with it

Like my preferred way of ranking is showing actual mmr and then making categories out of the ranges based on stats, but that seems to go against everything blizz wants for this game.

They want to keep it opaque i think? Where ppl can exist in ranked without assigning really arbitrary measures of skill to the ranks (but once you pass rank 1, which is kind of easy to achieve if you maintain a positive ratio, an actual numbered person to person ranking can emerge), especially since this moba is more dependent on other players on the team for success. Having named ranged ranks would probably go against the casualness that they are trying to foster

Alur

I understand what they want to accomplish with the ranks. Hiding MMR, trying to curb some forms of elitism and toxicity, etc.

I also understand their reliance on using an MMR spread to matchmake in both QM and HL versus forcing others to face MMR vs MMR or rank window vs rank window as we've had a couple deep dives into the only stats we have available (hotdogs) bear out that the MMR averaging doesn't have all that much bearing on winning or losing versus matchmaking in games where ranges are close.

I would still prefer if we got ranks vs ranks, though, simply because it's cleaner and more intuitive and it seems like they want cleaner and more intuitive. If I'm rank 20, I would prefer my MMR to be so in sync that I play no one higher than rank 15 and no one lower than 25 (and preferably a smaller window than that, honestly).

Maybe that's where they intend to take it, I dunno, but for now it's MMR averages or bust. The averages do not affect the games as much as we think, but I do think the perception of the averages due to being able to see each other's rank (and/or MMR by checking hotdogs in the lobby as some folks do) does affect the games because people get on tilt before they even hit the field.

Alur

At this point I would pay to unlock a solo queue ranked mode. I just don't understand the lack of one.

There are plenty of players to go around and I think a solo queue ranked mode would bring even more into ranked regularly as most of us run into "no one online to group with" at least a few times a week. It completely evens the playing field.

At this point I would pay to unlock a solo queue ranked mode. I just don't understand the lack of one.

There are plenty of players to go around and I think a solo queue ranked mode would bring even more into ranked regularly as most of us run into "no one online to group with" at least a few times a week. It completely evens the playing field.

What I'd really like is an unranked drafting mode. But I'm not sure how popular that would be.

I would love both of these options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom