• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Guess that would be troublesome for some heroes like Tass, Tyrande or Monk (Abathur supp lol)

Why would it be troublesome for monk? Or really anyone now that I think about it. It'd be the opposite, it's solve the issue with Tass and Tyrande being queued as solo support.

Alur

Cuz Monk could go full dps but entered as the team support

But that would be more player behaviour like those nasty Nidale supports in LoL

I don't see why that's a monk issue though. Both Lili and Malf can go full DPS and do more actual DPS with their builds. I see DPS Lili regularly. Monk DPS is pretty damn subpar.

Like you said that's a player issue and you already have that from time to time in QM. Won't be any more worse in a draft mode IMO.

Like you said that's a player issue and you already have that from time to time in QM. Won't be any more worse in a draft mode IMO.

Yep, at least we wont see a lack of DPS or Healers in draft mode or seeing three warriors with nova and zeraul.

I have no doubt you'd see that, but at least you'd have a person to bitch at instead of an algorithm.

That would be troublesome, Blizzard could implement a pre lobby for that then match out with another team in Draft

Alur

I have no doubt you'd see that, but at least you'd have a person to bitch at instead of an algorithm.

LOL, probably right.

I think that just like now you'll see it more in the lower tiers and less as you go up. Draft mode would be harrowing in Bronze/Silver/Gold, I'd imagine.

Alavard

Why would it be troublesome for monk? Or really anyone now that I think about it. It'd be the opposite, it's solve the issue with Tass and Tyrande being queued as solo support.

Precisely.

The only question, if there was an unranked draft mode, would be regarding the rules to enter. Hero League requires 10 heroes because you need to actually own the heroes (not on free rotation only) and doesn't allow mirror matches (same hero on both sides).

With this theoretical mode, being a more casual mode than HL, you'd think they'd want the requirements to be lower. So, either require ownership of only 5 and allow mirror matches, or allow heroes that you don't own that are on free rotation and also allow mirror matches.

Precisely.

The only question, if there was an unranked draft mode, would be regarding the rules to enter. Hero League requires 10 heroes because you need to actually own the heroes (not on free rotation only) and doesn't allow mirror matches (same hero on both sides).

With this theoretical mode, being a more casual mode than HL, you'd think they'd want the requirements to be lower. So, either require ownership of only 5 and allow mirror matches, or allow heroes that you don't own that are on free rotation and also allow mirror matches.

Mirror matches and free rotation heroes shoud be allowed

-Digits-

Yeah, I have a hard time coming up with a reason for unranked draft mode over just playing HL. I know the thought of it being ranked puts off people from playing it, I have that problem myself, but there'd be no difference between unranked and ranked apart from a little number to put on your portrait.

Alur

Rank is so meaningless thst HL is basically un ranked drafting mode anyway.

I think it's far more meaningful now. I definitely wouldn't call it meaningless. It's not League's system meaningful or even Hearthstone's system meaningful at the top and bottom, but in the middle it definitely seems better. It's much harder to rank up than it was previously judging by the reports we've heard plus the streams of other players we can see.

When ranked first came out rank 1 was achieved by multiple folks before midnight that night. I still haven't seen a rank 1. I've seen two rank 2's (one who immediately dropped back to 3 and still hasn't gotten back to 2), and a whole lot of rank 5-15 which feels a lot more accurate.

Yeah, I have a hard time coming up with a reason for unranked draft mode over just playing HL. I know the thought of it being ranked puts off people from playing it, I have that problem myself, but there'd be no difference between unranked and ranked apart from a little number to put on your portrait.

The difference would be (for those who don't do ranked or can't yet or play with friends who are not as skilled, etc) that you can get a real comp without being at the mercy of RNG and getting that solo Tassadar support vs Malf and Rehgar, or what have you. Unranked drafting exists in other MOBA games along with regular ranked. It's a common thing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Jo sucks every donkey ball in the game.

I'm getting her to lvl5 ONLY because it will get me Hammer today.

brian!

For me itd be nice to just be put into my unranked mmr, since i have to grind lower level games right now to be put in the same mmr, but yeah there wouldbe very little difference besides the try really hard mentality which is pretty meaningful by itself

Having that option is pretty huge when the only casual option involves picking a hero before you queue

Ketch

The only thing that matters is how rank correlates to MMR.

I haven't looked into it yet, but the the questions I have are:

Are players of similar MMR being placed at similar ranks?

Is it still possible for players with vastly different MMR to be the same rank?

Is it still possible to drastically increase rank without drastically increasing MMR?

In the old system there were 2500 players with the same rank as 3500 players, and I personally went from rank 38 to 15 while only going up like 300 points on hotdogs

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the one true constant after the patch is this

murky.jpg

love

life

I don't like Murky anymore. It's just swung from one extreme to the other. Alpha siege damage monster to annoying single target delete. There's no middle ground.

I don't know if it's a problem of hero design, the players gravitating to a "right/correct" build or some combination of the two but it's not a problem that's unique to Murky. I imagine Blizzard are much happier with single target delete Murky because that one is at least usually with its team whereas split-push Alpha siege damage monster Murky was the source of so many complaints, fighting and toxicity from teammates.

With some heroes it feels like there is a best case scenario build and some alternative builds based on what you have to deal with in a match, whereas others seem to only have one viable build period.

Alur

I don't know if it's a problem of hero design, the players gravitating to a "right/correct" build or some combination of the two but it's not a problem that's unique to Murky. I imagine Blizzard are much happier with single target delete Murky because that one is at least usually with its team whereas split-push Alpha siege damage monster Murky was the source of so many complaints, fighting and toxicity from teammates.

With some heroes it feels like there is a best case scenario build and some alternative builds based on what you have to deal with in a match, whereas others seem to only have one viable build period.

Like you said - it's both.

Every game I have played in the last 5-10 years has this same MO. That runs the gamut from WoW to Splatoon to Heroes of the Storm. Some heroes/classes/what have you have multiple options for how to play. Some have only one option. Regardless, the most ideal option for most scenarios is found and it proliferates until it's spread from the top end of players to the bottom end.

No matter what Blizzard does with talents we will always have the "cookie cutter" or ideal builds. They are ideal for a reason - they give you the most bang for your buck. The heroes who have entirely no other option but that build, though, I agree they should be fixed. At least with the majority of the heroes released in 2015 there has been the illusion of diversity, if not actual diversity in talent choice.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just had HUGE mana issues with Khara in this game (did win tho), I was using E alot which uses alot of mana. gonna try the next game with Insight, see how it affects healing

also running with seven sided because I cant get the fucking timing on stasis to save my life (well to save my buddies lives lol). either its too late or too soon :(

Alur

just had HUGE mana issues with Khara in this game (did win tho), I was using E alot which uses alot of mana. gonna try the next game with Insight, see how it affects healing

also running with seven sided because I cant get the fucking timing on stasis to save my life (well to save my buddies lives lol). either its too late or too soon :(

Insight will keep your mana, but you'd be surprised at how much healing Transcendence gives. It's easily the best of the 3 and not just for healing others. Makes you viable laning and able to take mercs (though it takes a bit as your damage is low).

On the Divine Palm front, I have seen this suggested in a few places from regular scrubs like us and the "pros". I manage to get 2 or 3 to go off a game, but I also waste 2 or 3 as well because the target backs out or they stop damaging or whatever. Definitely more complicated to use than Ancestral or Divine Shield.

kirblar

Having 1-3 "standard" builds and then having other talents which are marginal/niche but not useless is good design. Merc lord is terrible on Sonya in competitive, but great in SoloQ.

Panthers

It's a hard ultimate to use. The 20 talent helps but it shouldn't punish you so bad for getting the timing off. But I guess it is very strong .

gryvan

monk + mal!

Milly79

In regards to Infernal Shrines:

We just wanted to try and see if players preferred a week separation between a new Hero and Battleground. No current changes are planned.

I'm excited to see how the community responds to a map that is more lethal to players. This will definitely give us information about future map creations if this is something our community enjoys.

Welp, this is gonna be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom