• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Damn HOTS is unplayable after the Butcher patch. I keep getting a message that my connection is fucked up and the framerate stays at 20 and gets to the lower 10s during teamfights. Lots of people complaining on the forums too. Must be a connection problem since when testing heroes I get a rock solid 60fps. Even bot games are fucked up for me
cry.gif

It could be the server it's matching you on. You can change that in the settings now after the last patch FYI, maybe it'll help you out.

Alur

Man the ZPs hate on reddit is amazing. I'm not saying dude is like some of our GAF patron saints McIntyre or Glaurung here, but people saying he couldn't be on a good competitive or that he's not even rank 1 material...lololol.

If I can hit rank 1, c'mon breh. Some of them are actually serious too. Amazing.

Ketch

Man the ZPs hate on reddit is amazing. I'm not saying dude is like some of our GAF patron saints McIntyre or Glaurung here, but people saying he couldn't be on a good competitive or that he's not even rank 1 material...lololol.

If I can hit rank 1, c'mon breh. Some of them are actually serious too. Amazing.

Did you hit rank 1 in the new system? I haven't read into it at all, and I've only played 2 HL games since the patch, so I'm not sure how the changes have effected it.... but but is rank 1 more meaningful now?

Since there's no legendary ranking above 1, then to me, it should be like the actual best of the best would only be rank 1... like there are probably pro players who wouldn't be able to reach it. So in that reality, I wouldn't expect ZPs or Chu8 or any other popular streamer to reach it in less then a week. Like I said though, I dont' know anything about the new changes, so this is all my own hypothetical musings.

If right now, it's still where people under 3k are easily hitting rank 1 and ZPs not then, then it's totally fucked up and HL rank continues to have little to no meaning.

Ketch

The system is now actively preventing high-MMR players from reaching Rank 1.

okay, but are people with shitty MMR still making it?

cuss then it's broken.

also, how does the new system work? and how did they figure it out

ugh, why didn't they just put legendary status in? it's so fucking simple and it's already in hearthstone. after you hit rank one you start accruing legendary points and you just keep going up the legendary leader board

Maledict

The fact that these casters continue to talk as if Nazeebo can pick Mule is embarrassing...

Also the Kappa versus Complexity Match showed exactly how unfair Mule is on Sky Temple. That game would have finished 5 minutes earlier if that talent didn't exist.

Alur

Did you hit rank 1 in the new system?

If right now, it's still where people under 3k are easily hitting rank 1 and ZPs not then, then it's totally fucked up and HL rank continues to have little to no meaning.

No I hit it before. Haven't even done placement yet here, but as you say it's just like that. like 2.8k - 3.4k MMR players are hitting it. The high high MMR players can't touch it.

Ketch

thanks kirblar

one last question: are the higher mmr players at least getting better matches? or is it still 6min ques into rofl stomps?

what did they actually change?

kirblar

thanks kirblar

one last question: are the higher mmr players at least getting better matches? or is it still 6min ques into rofl stomps?

what did they actually change?
HL matchmaking wasn't touched. It's still really bad because there's no segregation of skill pools so 2000+1000 = 2x1500 is still a thing.

Ketch

so what did they actually change? just reset everybodies rank and added 20 matches in the front where you dont get to see your rank?

kirblar

so what did they actually change? just reset everybodies rank and added 20 matches in the front where you dont get to see your rank?
Yuuup. (+ the 20 games supposedly are back to "calibration" status, but I don't believe them.)

QM
QuickDraft sharing rank w/ normal QM
Hero League Solo/Duo Queue w/ hard caps between leagues
Hero League 5 man w/ separate MMR

This is what needs to happen.

Skab

So I know I'm way late on this probably, but I was only just now reading a summary of the dev Q&A they did on reddit.

Amazon skin for Nova does not mean we will never see a Diablo 2 Amazon - upcoming Medic hero and Medic Uther skin are an example of that.

So were getting a SC Medic hero? Interesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I never noticed Valla had 4 green shields around her in that medic video. Another Medic ability perhaps, some sort of shield?

Skab

Yeah they showed it at Gamescom. Looks absolutely amazing.

Oh wow. Looks like they incorporated a bit of Stetman's medic setup into her look with the dual robo arms.

That heroic looks amazing too.

So we know of one new Protoss and Terran hero. Wonder who/what we will get for Zerg.

Named Zerg characters are few in number compared to the other races. Stukov or Dehaka maybe? I think I remember reading somewhere that there was data for Dehaka found, so that would be my guess. More new heroes, yay!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You're on Tomb. You just finished a round of spiders. The enemy has lots of gems they obviously want to turn in. Your teammate Naz has used a lot of mana and some HP doing defending that you didn't do. 3 of you are in middle lane basically waiting for minions to show up or god knows what. Naz goes to the upper turn in with no gems. Naz sees Leoric turning in 27 gems. Naz stops Leoric and pings him. Naz isn't going to last long even harassing with no mana. Naz pings him again. Naz dies fighting Leoric. Naz pings danger on the turn in 3 more times. There are no other enemies around. You're one of the 3 in the middle lane. What do you do?

subwilde

You're on Tomb. You just finished a round of spiders. The enemy has lots of gems they obviously want to turn in. Your teammate Naz has used a lot of mana and some HP doing defending that you didn't do. 3 of you are in middle lane basically waiting for minions to show up or god knows what. Naz goes to the upper turn in with no gems. Naz sees Leoric turning in 27 gems. Naz stops Leoric and pings him. Naz isn't going to last long even harassing with no mana. Naz pings him again. Naz dies fighting Leoric. Naz pings danger on the turn in 3 more times. There are no other enemies around. You're one of the 3 in the middle lane. What do you do?

Hearth back to base and scold Nazeebo in chat....Kappa

Alavard

but at least we know malthael still has to be coming, right blizzard? right? that's one of the characters I want the most

I think Maltheal has to come eventually. There's only so many important characters you can draw on from the Diablo series without scraping the bottom of the barrel, and Maltheal is way way before the bottom. He's the core villain of the expansion pack that brought people back to D3. And especially since Blizzard seems to be ignoring Diablo 2 for actual characters at the moment, Maltheal just stands out far too much to not become a Hero in HotS.

Skab

but at least we know malthael still has to be coming, right blizzard? right? that's one of the characters I want the most

Oh I have no doubt he'll come. They just said the working concept they had for him ("you can't kill death") wound up working/fitting better elsewhere.

(And, honestly, I'm glad. Maltheal isn't really like that in RoS. And I'm a stickler for characters better representing the version of themselves found in their respective games. Like my Diablo issues/rework idea from way earlier in the thread.)

Syf

Banned
yeah i can agree with that, glad they didn't use that mechanic on him tbh. i want malthael and imperius in the same patch. hype overload

Syf

Banned
man, there's still so many great heroes to release come to think of it. wonder where this game will be in a year or two

AndyH

Neo Member
Malthael could have a skill that summons the dead to assist him. Perhaps a heroic, like mordekaiser's ultimate from LoL, allowing him to have a dead enemy hero fight for him temporarily.

I'm sure some of his abilities from his boss fight would be good starting points also.

Malthael could have a skill that summons the dead to assist him. Perhaps a heroic, like mordekaiser's ultimate from LoL, allowing him to have a dead enemy hero fight for him temporarily.

I'm sure some of his abilities from his boss fight would be good starting points also.

It would be interesting to see him stack dead minions and revive them with his R and his other R would summon one of his angels to battle assist him copy his moves for a limited time , his trait ability would be getting more stacks each time he kills minions in a chaneling ability

ZPs

Just wanted to say as a catch-all - thanks for the support in this thread.

For what it's worth, (and some perspective) on some of the Reddit hate in general. I generally do my best on stream not to really flame people/get into chat wars/whatever. But for whatever reason, talking about things that lose games (ie: horrible draft picks) is apparently a mortal sin in the eyes of many. For reference on why the above is frustrating - I play Heroes over 12 hours a day most days. When you've played that many games, you tend to internalize a lot of statistics based on your game experience. In general, you don't need to look at competition or look at exact win rates to get the feeling that someone's first pick Sonya is going to lead to a miserable 25 minutes coming up. Especially when a higher internal MMR guarantees that the deck is likely stacked against you to begin with in most games as well.

The Heroes matchmaker has gotten progressively worse and worse as time has gone on. Heroes went from being one of the most entertaining and fun solo Q experiences ever (pre-July 1st) of last year, to something that resembles a form of illegal CIA torture in the most recent patch. Blizzard has seemingly had a drive to reduce queue times to make quicker games, but the players suffer more and more every time they lax the requirements. It's absolutely terrible, and sucks a lot of the fun out of the game. The aforementioned pre-july1st 2014 matchmaking would make you wait as long as 20 minutes for a game - but the games were GOOD. The current matchmaking often times doesn't wait more than 30 seconds at times, and the results speak for themselves.

So I guess a comment stream wise, all of the above gets pretty trying. I'm definitely not a saint, and the part of me that's still extremely competitive (and thus wants to look good) absolutely gets frustrated at both the matchmaker and when people yolo picks that torpedo your chances to win. You feel it more when streaming since Heroes simply isn't a game you get to look very good in when your team is bad. If your team is getting crushed, there's not a whole lot you can do on an individual level to still look good during the game. It sucks, but it's how the game is.

Unless things change dramatically for the better (and soon), I'm almost certainly going to be shifting all of my stream time to Overwatch when it comes out. An FPS game is way less stressful and frustrating to stream, because if nothing else it's possible to still look good and make great plays even if you get a bad team. That's not possible in Heroes right now, and the matchmaker screwing you over with increasingly high levels of consistency just drains the fun out of the game.

Kind of unfortunate really. Heroes is a great game when everyone is serious and on the same page, but the pub environment feels almost unsalvagable at this point.

Spl1nter

Maybe with the current matchmaking you can get your gazlowe solo-q account to rank 1 finally :)

How the current matchmaker just adds a teams MMR to create "balanced" games really needs to be changed.

I hope you are able to retain/grow your audience when you play overwatch. Been a fan of your stream since I started playing.

Syf

Banned
agreed, blizz puts too much of a focus on quick queues rather than waiting a little bit longer for better compositions, and that hurts the experience, especially for someone like you who streams it. all we can do is continue bringing it up and hope they realize it's what's best for the game. i have no problem waiting a little longer if it means good comps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom