• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Sorry to hear that man. I'm a fan of your stream and would like to see you continue stream ing HotS. Thanks for posting here (milly is gonna pee himself), the moderation here goes a long way to keep it civilized. I've got a couple questions that I'd like to get your view on if you don't mind.

Where do you think Blizzard prioritzes high level play? Obviously they've put a lot of money into the esports side of things, but almost all of the in game systems are designed to cater to the new/casual crowd. What do you think is more important for the future popularity of the game?

Does blizzard ever seek input from pro players or high level streamers when it comes to game design?

How would you fix HL ranking and matchmaking?

Again, thanks for posting, thanks for streaming. Keep up the good work.

Milly79

Just wanted to say as a catch-all - thanks for the support in this thread.

For what it's worth, (and some perspective) on some of the Reddit hate in general. I generally do my best on stream not to really flame people/get into chat wars/whatever. But for whatever reason, talking about things that lose games (ie: horrible draft picks) is apparently a mortal sin in the eyes of many. For reference on why the above is frustrating - I play Heroes over 12 hours a day most days. When you've played that many games, you tend to internalize a lot of statistics based on your game experience. In general, you don't need to look at competition or look at exact win rates to get the feeling that someone's first pick Sonya is going to lead to a miserable 25 minutes coming up. Especially when a higher internal MMR guarantees that the deck is likely stacked against you to begin with in most games as well.

The Heroes matchmaker has gotten progressively worse and worse as time has gone on. Heroes went from being one of the most entertaining and fun solo Q experiences ever (pre-July 1st) of last year, to something that resembles a form of illegal CIA torture in the most recent patch. Blizzard has seemingly had a drive to reduce queue times to make quicker games, but the players suffer more and more every time they lax the requirements. It's absolutely terrible, and sucks a lot of the fun out of the game. The aforementioned pre-july1st 2014 matchmaking would make you wait as long as 20 minutes for a game - but the games were GOOD. The current matchmaking often times doesn't wait more than 30 seconds at times, and the results speak for themselves.

So I guess a comment stream wise, all of the above gets pretty trying. I'm definitely not a saint, and the part of me that's still extremely competitive (and thus wants to look good) absolutely gets frustrated at both the matchmaker and when people yolo picks that torpedo your chances to win. You feel it more when streaming since Heroes simply isn't a game you get to look very good in when your team is bad. If your team is getting crushed, there's not a whole lot you can do on an individual level to still look good during the game. It sucks, but it's how the game is.

Unless things change dramatically for the better (and soon), I'm almost certainly going to be shifting all of my stream time to Overwatch when it comes out. An FPS game is way less stressful and frustrating to stream, because if nothing else it's possible to still look good and make great plays even if you get a bad team. That's not possible in Heroes right now, and the matchmaker screwing you over with increasingly high levels of consistency just drains the fun out of the game.

Kind of unfortunate really. Heroes is a great game when everyone is serious and on the same page, but the pub environment feels almost unsalvagable at this point.

PLEASE HAVE MY BABIES

For what it's worth, (and some perspective) on some of the Reddit hate in general. I generally do my best on stream not to really flame people/get into chat wars/whatever. But for whatever reason, talking about things that lose games (ie: horrible draft picks) is apparently a mortal sin in the eyes of many. For reference on why the above is frustrating - I play Heroes over 12 hours a day most days. When you've played that many games, you tend to internalize a lot of statistics based on your game experience. In general, you don't need to look at competition or look at exact win rates to get the feeling that someone's first pick Sonya is going to lead to a miserable 25 minutes coming up. Especially when a higher internal MMR guarantees that the deck is likely stacked against you to begin with in most games as well.

The Heroes matchmaker has gotten progressively worse and worse as time has gone on. Heroes went from being one of the most entertaining and fun solo Q experiences ever (pre-July 1st) of last year, to something that resembles a form of illegal CIA torture in the most recent patch. Blizzard has seemingly had a drive to reduce queue times to make quicker games, but the players suffer more and more every time they lax the requirements. It's absolutely terrible, and sucks a lot of the fun out of the game. The aforementioned pre-july1st 2014 matchmaking would make you wait as long as 20 minutes for a game - but the games were GOOD. The current matchmaking often times doesn't wait more than 30 seconds at times, and the results speak for themselves.

So I guess a comment stream wise, all of the above gets pretty trying. I'm definitely not a saint, and the part of me that's still extremely competitive (and thus wants to look good) absolutely gets frustrated at both the matchmaker and when people yolo picks that torpedo your chances to win. You feel it more when streaming since Heroes simply isn't a game you get to look very good in when your team is bad. If your team is getting crushed, there's not a whole lot you can do on an individual level to still look good during the game. It sucks, but it's how the game is.

Unless things change dramatically for the better (and soon), I'm almost certainly going to be shifting all of my stream time to Overwatch when it comes out. An FPS game is way less stressful and frustrating to stream, because if nothing else it's possible to still look good and make great plays even if you get a bad team. That's not possible in Heroes right now, and the matchmaker screwing you over with increasingly high levels of consistency just drains the fun out of the game.

Kind of unfortunate really. Heroes is a great game when everyone is serious and on the same page, but the pub environment feels almost unsalvagable at this point.

Who are you? (I have been disconnected to the discussion so dont be angry at me)

kirblar

It's the same in other genres with a subset of the audience freaking the f out whenever something negative is said or a bad idea is shot down. I remember a video of one of the MTG pro teams doing tournament practice, and in it Owen Turrtenwald harshly shut down a deck idea/suggestion because he didn't want to waste time on it and was confident it wouldn't work based on his playtesting. A subset of the people watching reacted as though he had just crucified Jesus for wanting to maximize his practice time on things that might actually work for them. Absolutely ridiculous and I'll never understand the mentality.

I suspect this is the same part of the audience that cannot understand that picking one of the bottom 25% heroes in the game outside of their specific niche situations (Li Li vs no Stuns, Gazlowe vs Melee heavy) is actively going to hurt your team, no matter how good you think you are at playing Diablo.

I really hope they 180 on the matchmaking, but given how hard they've been holding to their current system, I doubt we'll see anything significant any time soon.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just want to stop being matched up with unfathomably stupid players who allow forts to get knocked over uncontested and only listen when it's criticism for not listening/responding to situations prior so they can be apathetic and tell you nothing that happens matters. I don't feel like going through 500 matches just to get matched up with people who actually want to play the game according to it's design. I don't even know why I'm still playing aside from just gold farming in hopes that it becomes good again. It's seriously in the most awful state since it left beta, which drove me to league for the first time, which has been way better.

I can't help but wonder if ZPs' problem is something only the extremely high MMR players deal with. I'm around 3400 MMR in QM playing entirely solo queueing. I started playing November 2014 (so, after the pre-July 2014 glory days of matchh-making) and have never really felt like match-making is a problem. It seems like I win the majority of games and rarely have allies that are completely senseless. If I get stuck with someone that seems to not know what they're doing, it seems like I can consistently guide them to be more effective by simply communicating a strategy in team chat.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really get the utter hatred some seem to have for match-making in HOTS. Again though, maybe this is because I am not high enough MMR-wise to experience these issues.

I'll add, I understand the logic that certain team comps are bad, or at least easily countered by certain other comps. That's just the way any competitive game goes though in my opinion, some strategies (load-outs, team composition, etc) are just worse than others, but you still have a chance at pulling out a win.

Zafir

Yeah, I 100% agree. Have said the same thing for ages that I'd much prefer longer queue times for better matchmaking. I get that when you're queuing as a group it has to do averages, but when solo queuing in HL it should find you people around the same MMR level. Sometimes it does but not always. I suppose part of the problem is the really lenient "placement mmr" area. Where new people can get boosted to higher mmr without really deserving to be there.

Alur

u wot m8. ZPs on GAF? Milly79 texted me to give the bat signal. He then had to change his pants. I'm sorry for that.

While clearly most of us here are not at your level MMR/skill wise, the argument you put forth made sense. I've yet to see any rank ones and the ones I saw posted in your reddit thread and otherwise have all been from an MMR that a lot of us are already at. While watching Dread, chu8, yourself and others, however, the minuscule point gains against huge losses is kind of puzzling.

RE: a bad game in HOTS makes pretty much everyone appear bad, I agree. That is a downside on so many levels in this game. One bad player can torpedo a game even if the other 4 on his team are more skilled and cohesive than the entire other team far more easily than one good player can influence a win. For streaming, going on the runs or rubberbanding that seems common at times in this game - 3-5 game winning or losing streaks - has to be pretty infuriating when Twitch chat is spamming constantly about you being a shitter when you weren't the one who fed 4 times before level 10.

I think you did the best you could do. You took and are taking some hits for the reddit post and on stream comments, but frankly someone had to be that guy. It would have helped if some of the other more prominent figures had piped in with the same, IMO, but at least it's front page and we know they saw it.

As for you streaming, hopefully it turns around. If not, I'm sure a good portion of us will catch you sometimes in Overwatch too as the one constant about Blizzard games is a lot of overlap in the audience. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

guys pls, act like you've been there before

I'm pretty sure it's tongue in cheek, lol. At least from Milly79 it is, though he does actually watch ZPs regularly.

I can't help but wonder if ZPs' problem is something only the extremely high MMR players deal with. I'm around 3400 MMR in QM playing entirely solo queueing. I started playing November 2014 (so, after the pre-July 2014 glory days of matchh-making) and have never really felt like match-making is a problem. It seems like I win the majority of games and rarely have allies that are completely senseless. If I get stuck with someone that seems to not know what they're doing, it seems like I can consistently guide them to be more effective by simply communicating a strategy in team chat..

It is mainly a problem of those with absurdly high MMR or a low MMR (or what would actually be the "average" MMR). Those of us in the middle - probably high Platinum to low Master - have a far better experience on the average when it comes to encountering AFKing, trolling, and braindead play versus what we would actually see if we played only people in our MMR range. Higher MMR players end up playing with folks like us due to the 6 minute rule, which sucks for them because we appear braindead and react much slower in comparison. Lower level players are in an endless cycle with each other and it feels like you're trying to throw a beach ball into a coke can when you attempt to make headway.

I feel like part of that is due to us establishing our MMR before the influx of new players in each expansion of the playerbase from beta to launch.

When I look at Dice on hotdogs for example I see his MMR and if it's even halfway accurate can clearly see why he posts the things he does. I have an alt account firmly in the middle of that as well. It's a cesspool. Undoubtedly he's probably right that he does deserve better and higher MMR, but the game is not designed to carry so once you get 100-200 games in it takes a hell of a lot of persistence and patience (unless you can latch onto a group) to climb your way out.

When I play my games on my other accounts though I rarely experience any of that. Even when we get the outlier silver league or bronze player and it costs us a game it's not as huge a deal because it's rare instead of common.

The game definitely penalizes you hard in both modes for doing poorly early and now apparently penalizes you hard for doing too well as well.

ZPs

Does blizzard ever seek input from pro players or high level streamers when it comes to game design?

The devs have been in and around higher end games for awhile. They definitely get the feedback, and it gets implemented sometimes. Probably the most famous example is Resurgence of the Storm. That was removed almost entirely because of high level complaints. Same deal with promote. If enough top players complain about something, it'll get fixed (gameplay wise), but it has to be near universal agreement.

How would you fix HL ranking and matchmaking?

HL ranking I'd make the ranks correspond much more tightly with MMR. If someone's in the top 0.1% of the game on Blizzard internal MMR, the system shouldn't screw them over with unnecessary window dressing. Matchmaking I'd simply make the matchmaker take longer. I'd glady take 10-15 minute queues if it meant getting good games more often.

ZPs

For streaming, going on the runs or rubberbanding that seems common at times in this game - 3-5 game winning or losing streaks - has to be pretty infuriating when Twitch chat is spamming constantly about you being a shitter when you weren't the one who fed 4 times before level 10.

It's the most trying part of streaming honestly. I've had to really build up my tolerance to twitch chat, loss streaks, and what not over time. When you're naturally competitive, you can't help but get a little annoyed when that happens. Because while a lot of people troll with the entire "LOL PLAYER SUCKS", there's definitely a portion of people that coime into the stream for the first time and subsequently leave forever because a sonya pick ruined the game.

I think you did the best you could do. You took and are taking some hits for the reddit post and on stream comments, but frankly someone had to be that guy. It would have helped if some of the other more prominent figures had piped in with the same, IMO, but at least it's front page and we know they saw it.

Main goal is trying to start a fire really. Game companies fix fires much more quickly than well reasoned complaints via back channels. Hope it works.

As for you streaming, hopefully it turns around. If not, I'm sure a good portion of us will catch you sometimes in Overwatch too as the one constant about Blizzard games is a lot of overlap in the audience. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Maybe it's because of the stuff mentioned above, but Overwatch solves a huge stressor for me. Losing in a game of Overwatch when you're 27-2 as Tracer is way better for streaming (and morale) than losing a game of Heroes because you have a Diablo instead of a Johanna. Particularly when that latter situation is happening with absurd regularity nowadays.

I'm pretty sure it's tongue in cheek, lol. At least from Milly79 it is, though he does actually watch ZPs regularly.

Milly's support is awesome :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Alur

It's the most trying part of streaming honestly. I've had to really build up my tolerance to twitch chat, loss streaks, and what not over time. When you're naturally competitive, you can't help but get a little annoyed when that happens. Because while a lot of people troll with the entire "LOL PLAYER SUCKS", there's definitely a portion of people that coime into the stream for the first time and subsequently leave forever because a sonya pick ruined the game.

Yeah I can imagine. That is especially true with HOTS I would guess since it's technically only a few months old and really in it's infancy. They tune into one shitty game and may never watch yours again, or on a larger level may never pick up the game or watch another HOTS stream again at all.

Main goal is trying to start a fire really. Game companies fix fires much more quickly than well reasoned complaints via back channels. Hope it works.

Hopefully so. It definitely got people stirred up on both sides. I'd be salty as hell after reading some of that shit.

Milly's support is awesome :D

Don't pay him any mind. His ego is gargantuan and
he really loves NickHOTS more

I was gonna ask, though, and this is kind of out of left field...didn't you stream with a cam before? Why'd you drop it? Not that I blame you, I bet that is annoying. I was just curious.

Also say hi to Reydaddy and Theodore for GAF. PJSalt 4eva. We already have McIntyreGAF, maybe Milly can start ZPsGAF on Twitch.

ZPs, damn

Almost as famous in gaming as Yoshichan!

subwilde

Is this a safe place to fangirl cause ZPs in here?

I can't imagine dealing with the bad portion of twitch chat sometimes. They want to see streamers get salty and it's pretty annoying tbh.

Ketch

The devs have been in and around higher end games for awhile. They definitely get the feedback, and it gets implemented sometimes. Probably the most famous example is Resurgence of the Storm. That was removed almost entirely because of high level complaints. Same deal with promote. If enough top players complain about something, it'll get fixed (gameplay wise), but it has to be near universal agreement.

Yea, I know they see the feedback... just like I'm sure they've seen your reddit post. But do they actively reach out to the high level players before they make changes? I know it happens in DOTA, but people have been playing that game for much longer which maybe makes their feedback more valuable.

My suspicion is that blizzard knows that HL is messed up, but that they think it works well enough for most players (at least so far) that they just haven't dedicated the resources to fix it yet. I mean it's not the same as tweaking numbers, removing talents, or even adding the pause function. They've basically got to design, program, and then implement an entirely new ranked mode. Meanwhile, they've still got to develop new heroes and maps, rebalance the old ones, and I guess redo the UI every 3 weeks too.... remember that they still don't have a proper draft function in the game yet. It seems like they are happy (or at least forced to) to let things sit for awhile if they think they are working "good enough" for the time being.

Now I'm not trying to apologize for what some might call blizzard's "lazyness", but I think it does emphasize the question of how highly they regard feedback from their higher level or pro players.

If they feel like everything is good enough for 80% of their player base, how loud does the other 20% need to be before they fix the issue?

You also have to consider that they probably make so much money off of releasing new heroes that they really won't want to divert resources away from that.

His ego is gargantuan
as in totally useless and often wasted

Alur

You also have to consider that they probably make so much money off of releasing new heroes that they really won't want to divert resources away from that.

Probably the truth. And honestly that's the main thing I care about so it's cool with me. I'd still like to see more other stuff more frequently, though.

My theory on the HL thing is that this was simply a band aid and an experiment they wanted to try before going with the 1.0 version that will deliver Grandmaster (whenever that is). It's entirely possibly that they didn't realize how severely it punished exceedingly high MMR players, for example...though if that is the case I'd hope to hear something from them early next week.

Is this a safe place to fangirl cause ZPs in here?

This thread is only for cool people, not wild people. Sorry.
Games later tonight? check [] yes [] no

Zafir

It is mainly a problem of those with absurdly high MMR or a low MMR (or what would actually be the "average" MMR). Those of us in the middle - probably high Platinum to low Master - have a far better experience on the average when it comes to encountering AFKing, trolling, and braindead play versus what we would actually see if we played only people in our MMR range. Higher MMR players end up playing with folks like us due to the 6 minute rule, which sucks for them because we appear braindead and react much slower in comparison. Lower level players are in an endless cycle with each other and it feels like you're trying to throw a beach ball into a coke can when you attempt to make headway.

I feel like part of that is due to us establishing our MMR before the influx of new players in each expansion of the playerbase from beta to launch.

When I look at Dice on hotdogs for example I see his MMR and if it's even halfway accurate can clearly see why he posts the things he does. I have an alt account firmly in the middle of that as well. It's a cesspool. Undoubtedly he's probably right that he does deserve better and higher MMR, but the game is not designed to carry so once you get 100-200 games in it takes a hell of a lot of persistence and patience (unless you can latch onto a group) to climb your way out.

When I play my games on my other accounts though I rarely experience any of that. Even when we get the outlier silver league or bronze player and it costs us a game it's not as huge a deal because it's rare instead of common.

The game definitely penalizes you hard in both modes for doing poorly early and now apparently penalizes you hard for doing too well as well.

I wouldn't even say low mmr. It's a problem when you're around platinum level even. Which isn't that low when you consider it's better than the majority of players. I managed to get out of it in QM, but since I rarely solo queue the problem still arises since my friends are lower than I. HL I'm around that platinum hell area still. :I

Alur

I wouldn't even say low mmr. It's a problem when you're around platinum level even. Which isn't that low when you consider it's better than the majority of players. I managed to get out of it in QM, but since I rarely solo queue the problem still arises since my friends are lower than I. HL I'm around that platinum hell area still. :I

You have a good point. I'm basing this on an older metric I guess. Platinum went all the way to ~2720 MMR before, but now it ends at ~2600 MMR (based on hotdogs). So high Platinum based on what I said was once like 2600 to 2720, but now it's a good bit lower.

I do still think if you are on the cusp of Diamond and then on up your games on average are much better, whether QM or HL, compared to someone in Gold/Silver/Bronze. If you get stuck in that region and don't have some GAFers or other friends to play with, RIP in peace.

gryvan

I'll sit here int he corner and pretend i know all bout what everyone is saying

:D

on another note...wow so many bad players today in QM...like how the hell can murky (me) be at 45k hero damage in my team and was the highest in BOTH teams...the fuck...we still won somehow though >_>

HL ranking I'd make the ranks correspond much more tightly with MMR. If someone's in the top 0.1% of the game on Blizzard internal MMR, the system shouldn't screw them over with unnecessary window dressing. Matchmaking I'd simply make the matchmaker take longer. I'd glady take 10-15 minute queues if it meant getting good games more often.

This is funny because I'm pretty sure the entire competitive scene agrees with you on the matchmaking problems, but I guess they'd all have to go bitch on reddit for Blizzard to get the picture.

But I don't think any of the competitive mainstays care so much about having Rank 1 in their profile and on their stream title that they'd go complain on reddit about the current MMR/Rank/Points system, because they're typically not being publicly judged based on that in the same way that a full-time streamer is and they know they will be in GM league no matter what anyway when it comes out.

I think the distaste from the internet people has more to do with you not being very transparent regarding how you were probably inspired to make that reddit thread based on how the title of "Rank 1" affects your stream viewership than your actual stream and gameplay itself.

Which seems contradictory to what you're saying here, because as a streamer, having to wait 15 minutes between games can't sound that enticing with regards to holding onto your viewers.

ZPs

Which seems contradictory to what you're saying here, because as a streamer, having to wait 15 minutes between games can't sound that enticing with regards to holding onto your viewers.

Queue times aren't a big deal. League streamers deal with it all the time and they're fine. Bad quality games that aren't particularly entertaining to watch are way more devastating to numbers imo.

ZPs

I was gonna ask, though, and this is kind of out of left field...didn't you stream with a cam before? Why'd you drop it? Not that I blame you, I bet that is annoying. I was just curious.

Honestly I just need to get a proper setup green screen wise/otherwise. Though yeah, it does feel a bit more draining with cam on. Probably something you have to get used to overtime I imagine.

Alur

I don't watch Dota 2, but pretty much every professional player in League I watch who streams will sit in queue for upwards of 20 minutes - especially if they decide to group. I don't think it's necessarily a barrier to maintaining viewers so long as you have something going on during that downtime (Hearthstone is the main thing I see).

Queue times aren't a big deal. League streamers deal with it all the time and they're fine. Bad quality games that aren't particularly entertaining to watch are way more devastating to numbers imo.

Just to be clear I agree with your whole reddit post -- but even someone like Arteezy consistently loses a third of his viewership when he's between games answering questions. and DOTA is a game where people care way too much about the pro scene drama and will sit eagerly in his stream waiting for him to blurt out something.

Hots also has shorter game length. Waiting 20 minutes for a 40-60 minute game is much more tolerable than waiting 15 minutes for a 20 minute game.

You would know better than I though so I'll take your word for it, but it doesn't make much sense to me

I don't watch Dota 2, but pretty much every professional player in League I watch who streams will sit in queue for upwards of 20 minutes - especially if they decide to group. I don't think it's necessarily a barrier to maintaining viewers so long as you have something going on during that downtime (Hearthstone is the main thing I see).

yeah but hots games are 15-25 minutes long. Same wait time for half as much gameplay? I dunno.

Alur

yeah but hots games are 15-25 minutes long. Same wait time for half as much gameplay? I dunno.

That's a fair point for sure and would be interesting to see the results of.

I guess in some ways I feel like a lot of HOTS viewers are probably not big-time traditional MOBA viewers anyway, so if they like what they like they will stay. If they are folks who ping around from stream to stream they may leave I guess. I think part of that could be tied to how you cultivate your chat, though. Some chats are so spammy and trolly it's basically useless, and other chats build a bit of a community and seem like a real place.

Opiate

1) Is the treasure goblin mount only available for a limited time?

2) How long do we have to get 50 treasure goblins killed?

Alur

Yes. I've heard 2 months and then I've heard longer.

No clue on the treasure goblin portrait thing though. Hopefully a bit cause it seems like there's less goblins than before.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just play games in the morning right after the daily flip. Goblins errywhere.

Do goblins only spawn if someone has their daily? I've never seen a game without a goblin, but I don't play during normal prime time, just assumed it was 1 per game so 50games to get the portrait.

subwilde

Well I played 30 games today(mostly AI) and I have to admit, idk how Yoshi does it. I was making rookie mistakes at the end and is probably detrimental to my improvement :p

aka_bueno

Won 2 more HL games today, so my winning streak from yesterday stays in tact. 6 HL wins in a row! 4 more placement matches left with a 10-6 start into placement matches.

Last match I thought was for sure a loss since our last pic didn't go support so we were no heals against a team that had heals (Monk), but we won. Won rather quickly too, it was weird. They out-killed out us by a few, but a few team battles went our way and were able to secure the temples and boss mid game to end it convincingly!

AndyH

Neo Member
u wot m8. ZPs on GAF? Milly79 texted me to give the bat signal. He then had to change his pants. I'm sorry for that.

While clearly most of us here are not at your level MMR/skill wise, the argument you put forth made sense. I've yet to see any rank ones and the ones I saw posted in your reddit thread and otherwise have all been from an MMR that a lot of us are already at. While watching Dread, chu8, yourself and others, however, the minuscule point gains against huge losses is kind of puzzling.

RE: a bad game in HOTS makes pretty much everyone appear bad, I agree. That is a downside on so many levels in this game. One bad player can torpedo a game even if the other 4 on his team are more skilled and cohesive than the entire other team far more easily than one good player can influence a win. For streaming, going on the runs or rubberbanding that seems common at times in this game - 3-5 game winning or losing streaks - has to be pretty infuriating when Twitch chat is spamming constantly about you being a shitter when you weren't the one who fed 4 times before level 10.

I don't know about there being big issues with raising your MMR right now. I've went from 3k to 3.2k MMR on that hot logs in a day. Even if there is someone dumb on my team it's still fairly easy to win most of the time. I use the ping system extensively and try to direct my team to do the correct plays. A few years ago, I might have raged at terrible players but now I just laugh. I don't say anything in chat though, as that's an easy way to lose a game.

i cant with these casters right now.

I understand what they're trying to do, and I realize it's "their job", but the false exuberance is just really getting to me today.

1 caster for play by play, 1 for analysis, you don't need to fill every second of air time and you don't have a yell.

It's like having two john maddens casting the cowboys vs the cowboys in the red zone.

We have it so mich better here in EU.. I was watching the EU broadcast and they had a break, and switched to NA, and omg it was horrid... The yelling! What the hell..

We have it more calm, but excited when there is really reason for it and the other focuses on commentating... Kaelaris and Tod are doing a great job imo, with some back and forth banther, really nice... They are my favorite of the casters currently.. Khaldor is nice though but i can't quite put my finger on it, perhaps he talks too much about the phone call just had :)

I sincerely hope that the blizzcon is not going for the current NA style.. I really like babel on his own, but it feels the current NA crew isn't quite working as a team atm, too many people shouting one after another...

Ketch

it's like they have this un written rule where they're going to take turns talking back and forth, and even if they don't have anything relevant to say, you gotta say something anyway because there absolute cannot be a single second of gameplay without commentary.

danielcw

You have a good point. I'm basing this on an older metric I guess. Platinum went all the way to ~2720 MMR before, but now it ends at ~2600 MMR (based on hotdogs). So high Platinum based on what I said was once like 2600 to 2720, but now it's a good bit lower.

Not sure why you say "based on Hotslogs".
Aren't the Leagues jsut some arbitryary boundaries made up by Hotslogs. There is no deeper meaning to them, or is there? Without hotslogs, the words Bronze to Master would not exist in the context of Heroes Of The Storm.

danielcw

Just started playin this. Mainin Nazeebo rn.

Battlenet is nightmare22m if anyone wants to play

In which region are you?
Your username may not be unique, so we also need the 4 digit number that comes after it.

In the opening post of this thread there is a link to a spreadsheet with the battle.tags of many gaffers sorted by region.
You can add yourself there.
There you will also find how to join the ingame chat or the mumble server

Rosur

Just started playing this game this weekend, quite enjoying it so far really like the fact matches are only 20mins than 40+ for dota/ lol.

Celegus

it's like they have this un written rule where they're going to take turns talking back and forth, and even if they don't have anything relevant to say, you gotta say something anyway because there absolute cannot be a single second of gameplay without commentary.

I tried watching some for the first time yesterday and noticed that as well. A whole lot of freaking out about tiny skirmishes too. I for one wouldn't mind if they turned it down a little, it started to feel very overbearing.

Zafir

Not sure why you say "based on Hotslogs".
Aren't the Leagues jsut some arbitryary boundaries made up by Hotslogs. There is no deeper meaning to them, or is there? Without hotslogs, the words Bronze to Master would not exist in the context of Heroes Of The Storm.

Well they aren't entirely arbitrary. As far as I understood they've always been done percentage wise, and that's why the boundaries keep changing. For example a few months back the Platinum boundary was around 2300-2400 and the Diamond one was 2700ish. Now they've gone down, Platinum is closer to 2200 and Diamond is 2600ish. How this happened? I think its just the launch caused a lot of newer people to play which are now in the lower tiers, which means the higher tier requirements shifted down.

The leagues themselves are just a construct of trying to make the system a bit more like what people are used to in say LoL(or SC2 I guess?) I'd imagine. Saying a MMR value doesn't really give people a good indicator of where they're at without knowing the ranges. If you were comparing it to Dota, 4k doesn't sound very good as the highest are like 7k mmr.

Maledict

Virtus Pro just unveiled a team comp built around Rehghar. It was glorious, and they utterly wrecked Navi with it - they annihilated the core at level 16 so fast it wasn't true.

Their Tyrande took damage talents at every level, including the attack spee don hunters mark at 13 and seasoned marksman at level 1. Zeratul took Assassins Blade at 13 rather than wormhole, and rehghar took the chain heal talents at 1 and 4, his special battle momentum at 7 to just *spam* chain heal.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well I played 30 games today(mostly AI) and I have to admit, idk how Yoshi does it. I was making rookie mistakes at the end and is probably detrimental to my improvement :p
TEN THOUSAND YEARS OF HATRED!!

kirblar

Virtus Pro just unveiled a team comp built around Rehghar. It was glorious, and they utterly wrecked Navi with it - they annihilated the core at level 16 so fast it wasn't true.

Their Tyrande took damage talents at every level, including the attack spee don hunters mark at 13 and seasoned marksman at level 1. Zeratul took Assassins Blade at 13 rather than wormhole, and rehghar took the chain heal talents at 1 and 4, his special battle momentum at 7 to just *spam* chain heal.
That sound you hear is Jake running to change his pants.

danielcw

Well they aren't entirely arbitrary. As far as I understood they've always been done percentage wise, and that's why the boundaries keep changing.

Well Alur made an analysis of the league sizes a few pages back.
Maybe it are indeed percentages, it roughly looks like a 40/20/15/13/10/2 distribution (percentages from bronze upwards).

I asked the maker of Hotslogs how he defines the boundaries.

Anyway, if it are those percentages, I still think they are arbitrary names. Using the numbers feels better to me. But maybe I am alone in this...
(Maybe I would feel different about this, if all leagues had the same percentage of players.)

The leagues themselves are just a construct of trying to make the system a bit more like what people are used to in say LoL(or SC2 I guess?)

I have no idea how LOL or DOta 2 handle stuff, so I won't comment on that.

In SC2 Blizzard had 5, leagues, each supposed to be being 20% of the active playerbase in a region.
(actually there were a 6th and 7th top league, containing the top 2% and the top 200 players)
At least that's how it was supoposed to be. The data collected by 3rd party websites gave the impression, that it did not work, but the only ones knowing the whole picture are Blizzard.

And even if the system worked perfectly, it is actually obscuring your skill-level metrics with bells and whistles, and a carrot in front of the player. Giving him metrics and bars to fill.
But if you actually want to understand your supposed skill level, and see if you are actually improving, I think those systems don't really help.

And of course all those metrics are relative. More new unexperineced players coming in will raise the placement of good players.
Or in the case of Stracraft 2, only the fans and better players stayed, making it a lot harder to reach higher leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom