• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

your second paragraph is spot on to me, and your skepticism about the worst player being a deciding factor makes a lot of sense
It hurts. https://www.google.com/search?q=hotslog+reddit+analysis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Idea: Blizzard frequently puts a newbie on my team that was far below my enemy average MMR, he got crushed and we lost the game.

Chart: http://i.imgur.com/k07vwMx.png

This graphs win rate over the difference between a teams lowest member MMR and their opponents average MMR (Team MMR).

My Thoughts: This significantly impacts your win rate. If your lowest MMR team member is 500 less than the enemy average, your win rate is 48%. If it is 1000 less than your enemy average, your win rate is 41%. Thankfully differences greater than 1000 aren't too frequent.
Having a wide gulf is not uncommon at all. This is a problem:
The difference between team spreads was greater than or equal to 500 in 61168 out of 169778 games (36%).
Even if you win, you are still going to have a miserable experience due to the difference.

brian!

the gulf is not a real gulf
like besides hotslogs being not a great source of info for mmr disparity, there is absolutely nothing in place that forwards the idea that someone being 1800 is worse than someone being 2300

1st comment in the thread also reveals the too singular conclusion of the last graph, what a weird thing to hold on to in a team game.

Adding to the pool of anecdotes: I constantly party w/ ppl who end up being the lowest mmr in the game, and in those games I am also constantly the highest mmr in the game, but I win these much more than I lose
I've also been the sole reason we've lost too

the problem w/ hotslogs since inception is that it's stats have almost only been used for confirmation bias, whether it's builds or winrates, these things really aren't as linear as most ppl make it out to be

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
We're pushing hard, making a good comeback from a disadvantage. We get their core to 61% with all of them dead. Two of us are dead but 3 are at near full health with merc support. Mines activate and the 3 go into mines instead of pushing despite us telling them to push. Of course the team revives and rushes our core before they can finish mines and our team is too slow and staggered in their return so they get picked off one by one and we lose.

"Just politely guide your team via chat" they say. "If you're good you'll get wins despite your teams and improve your rank" they say.

Alur

Most people don't have it turned on while in a game to be able to see it, they only see it after they get out/between matches.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Never seen a game this zeitgeisty among the people I play games with. All the people I play Dota with haven't played a game of Dota in a week. All the people I play MonHun with have been playing this too. All the people that used to play Dota but quit because it was too intense for them are playing this. This week I've had two separate game nights (for Civ 5 and once for Warframe) derail and turn into impromptu HotS nights.

I wish this game had a real time spectator mode cause we've constantly got 1 or 2 people too many for a single party and don't want to criss cross over each other in the Mumble.

Duress

There's no incentive for me to rank up in Hero League. I only play because it's the quickest way to play matches -_-

Quick match isn't quick.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is there a way to watch replays on old game versions?

LiQuid!

We game today (Haunted Mines) where we were never down in kills/exp but somehow the enemy had been able to push into our base while we were doing other objectives. We managed to turn around their final push with a 4-man mosh pit from me and a team wipe thanks to the rest of my team. Our throne was under 10% HP. When they came and tried to finish the job I had another mosh ready to stop them and by that time we'd had a fully charged up golem winning the game for us by itself. That the first game of HotS where you could practically feel the high fives thru the internet. Such a great MOBA feeling that doesn't happen often enough.

Celegus

Finally started doing some HL matches and I can't believe some of the people here have actually made it to rank 30. I'd swear it was their first game ever. So far I've had 3 complete stomps and one that went the other way since my teammates were hilariously bad. Hopefully it's better once I'm done with the placement matches.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Grand Crusade is out today... It is days like these that I wish I would have two of myself playing different games simultaneously.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nothing too painful this week!

Li Li
E.T.C.
Rehgar
Sgt Hammer
Gazlowe
Kerrigan (level 12)
Leoric (level 15)

Looking forward to afking Training games with bots to get that Gazlowe to 5. Otherwise pretty nice selection of heroes, I wanted to test a couple.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wonder if they're making a nice skin for Jaina like Novazon or if they're just letting her Christmas one be the good one.

Alur

The Grand Crusade is out today... It is days like these that I wish I would have two of myself playing different games simultaneously.

HOTS will still be here when you come back tomorrow!

Alternatively I prefer watching streams on Hearthstone launch days because that's when it's the most entertaining for me.

Yoshichan

HOTS will still be here when you come back tomorrow!

This makes me happy! I remember the days when you didn't believe in me and Heroes :_:

Cerato

Neo Member
Random kerrigan note - it seems like the most crucial talent is the one that increases mana and health regeneration by 100% when shielded. You just have much better up time, and it has great synergy with the heal on ravage (which also generates shields, and in turn more health and mana.

One thing that's surprising, to me at least, is that most of the top builds on hots logs (as in, the builds with the highest win %), are picking envenom at level 4. I was under the impression that envenom was not real popular. But are people here using it?

Random kerrigan note - it seems like the most crucial talent is the one that increases mana and health regeneration by 100% when shielded. You just have much better up time, and it has great synergy with the heal on ravage (which also generates shields, and in turn more health and mana.

One thing that's surprising, to me at least, is that most of the top builds on hots logs (as in, the builds with the highest win %), are picking envenom at level 4. I was under the impression that envenom was not real popular. But are people here using it?

I think it was a must before and people haven't bothered changing? I don't really see any other hero picking it up at least, I guess it can still make sense on Kerrigan if you want to solo kill someone, but I don't know, it's really slow now, becomes pretty crappy as you level up if they have any sort of healing(which if it's not QM, they most certainly have).

Alavard

I've been playing as Illidan a fair bit this week in QM, and am really surprised by how many games have an enemy Illidan as well, considering he's not on rotation.

Mirror matches always annoy me a bit, because I'm worried about the enemy being better at their Hero than I am. Especially with higher difficulty Heroes.

I starting to miss the conversations between the heroes, Deckard is starting to get annoying with the new dialogue

wake me when there is a deck dedicated to elves. Heard the last expansion deck was so random in skills

Alur

Wow at the gap in level one trait talents taken on Kharazim in win rate and pick rate (Diamond MMR):

8KKV6Eg.png

I think it was a must before and people haven't bothered changing? I don't really see any other hero picking it up at least...

With Kerrigan, despite the nerf to a longer duration it's not like the other options at level 4 are particularly great. Often Envenom can be the last bit of burst needed to secure a kill (this is also solved by monk's Q+E combo if you play them as a duo). Milly and I have been running Kharazim/Kerrigan at about 72% winrate since patch and I think he takes Envenom most/all of the time.

As for other heroes, Sylvanas still picks Envenom regularly at level 4 (by far and away her most popular level 4 talent) because her other talents there are also pretty lackluster.

Yoshichan

Did someone ever predict Kharazim first talent to be any different?!

kirblar

Upon chewing it over I am totally on board killing MULE off. Something that does nothing but artificially prolong games isn't actually interesting in the least.

Maledict

Dude can outheal other healing classes fairly easy its just a crime

In a team, pref on voice comms.

Monk is a brilliant healer, but in a random QM team he's dreadful. If you don't get a tank and a melee assassin to play with, you're just not going to play the character like he's designed to be played, and it's really sad. He's absolutely not a random healer for all team,s and people first picking him blindly in hero league are as bad as first pick Novas...

(Seriously people, PLEASE stop picking these heroes first!)

Zafir

I starting to miss the conversations between the heroes, Deckard is starting to get annoying with the new dialogue

I'd say Deckard started to get annoying a good month ago. :p The only saving grace he's at least saying something slightly different since the patch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
havent played this in ages because of Diablo. and the cube patch wont help

Blizzard are cannibals confirmed

kirblar

Arthas/Monk/Jo frontline from Liquid seems pretttty good. Especially since you the only burst healing you'd want on the squishies is the Palm anyway.

Milly79

I was taking envenom when it dropped, but I swapped to E burning rage. Saw it reccomended somewhere and went with it. Also the 100% shields at 13 instead of Queens Rush and there's another talent at 16 I take instead of E4E.

Alur

I was taking envenom when it dropped, but I swapped to E burning rage. Saw it reccomended somewhere and went with it. Also the 100% shields at 13 instead of Queens Rush and there's another talent at 16 I take instead of E4E.

Oh, that's what he does
aka he doesn't know what he's doing ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ameno ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ jk or am i

EDIT: Best time to watch Twitch - HS card set coming out. The reactions and chat so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom