• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's what he does
aka he doesn't know what he's doing ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ameno ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ jk or am i

EDIT: Best time to watch Twitch - HS card set coming out. The reactions and chat so good.

Meh, it's just people opening packs atm. I'll probably watch the next few days though, should be kinda interesting, until S4 starts.

Alur

Opening packs is the best part to me. Though I agree, the first few days of gameplay is fun until it shakes out and everyone runs the same thing.

Can't even get into HS to open my packs. God dammit Blizz!

Same for a bit, but I got in now. I'm watching Savjz and he can't get in.

EDIT: Now he's in.

Zafir

Opening packs is the best part to me. Though I agree, the first few days of gameplay is fun until it shakes out and everyone runs the same thing.

Same for a bit, but I got in now. I'm watching Savjz and he can't get in.

EDIT: Now he's in.

I think it's the EU server that's just totally screwed. Savjz seems to just be on NA server atm.

subwilde

Anyone have any tips to get 100 wins in hearthstone? I am trying a face hunter deck but it seems I don't have nearly enough of the cards required. I'm thinking casual is the way to go, at 8 wins in a couple hours of play time. Is there skill matchmaking for casual?

I need that mount.

Alur

I think it's the EU server that's just totally screwed. Savjz seems to just be on NA server atm.

Yeah EU was getting hammered from what I've seen. I got a golden Chillmaw. /happy

HOTS related, leveling warriors to 5 is soul crushing. No matter if it's QM or AI.

Anyone have any tips to get 100 wins in hearthstone? I am trying a face hunter deck but it seems I don't have nearly enough of the cards required. I'm thinking casual is the way to go, at 8 wins in a couple hours of play time. Is there skill matchmaking for casual?

I need that mount.

Face hunter or zoo is the way to go on the cheap. Also the Tavern Brawl wins now count toward the total and you don't need any cards for that (sometimes).

kirblar

I need that mount.
Yeah mmr is in casual mode

subwilde

Yeah EU was getting hammered from what I've seen. I got a golden Chillmaw. /happy

HOTS related, leveling warriors to 5 is soul crushing. No matter if it's QM or AI.

Face hunter or zoo is the way to go on the cheap. Also the Tavern Brawl wins now count toward the total and you don't need any cards for that.

Yeah mmr is in casual mode

Thanks guys. I still have to unlock brawl as its greyed out, but that still costs gold yeah?

I hate to game a game but I want to do this as fast as possible seeing how the promotion might end whenever. Can you concede to tank your MMR?

92 wins on the wall, 92 wins, play one here play one there 92 wins still on the wall ;_;

Zafir

I need that mount.

Trump used to have some starter deck lists, I dunno if there's anything better these days as I don't play HS that much really.

I'd personally say stick to ranked. Casual won't have any mmr for you, so it'll shove you against people who may have more experience/cards than you until it finds your place. In ranked, generally the people in ranks 25-20 are all newer people too at the latter end of a given month. It basically works like the ranks 40-50 in hots where you can't drop ranks, so the better players will be pushed out of it.
Thanks guys. I still have to unlock brawl as its greyed out, but that still costs gold yeah?

I hate to game a game but I want to do this as fast as possible seeing how the promotion might end whenever. Can you concede to tank your MMR?

92 wins on the wall, 92 wins, play one here play one there 92 wins still on the wall ;_;

I'd assume you could probably concede to tank your mmr yeah.

brian!

Upon chewing it over I am totally on board killing MULE off. Something that does nothing but artificially prolong games isn't actually interesting in the least.

Makes sense to me, i do like it as a specialized option though maybe on a support whos not great at healing

Didnt know you can buy skins on not owned Heroes, I accidentally bought guldan azmodan skin and I didnt even own him....

Makes sense to me, i do like it as a specialized option though maybe on a support whos not great at healing

come at me amigo

Abathur-Mariachi.jpg

brian!

Abathur having it is an argument against mule i think (he's good at a lot of things already, mule is icing on the cake that's too fatty probably should scrape it off)

aka_bueno

Next hero probably won't be for another 2-3 weeks right? I want to spend 7k of my 15k gold right now on Kerrigan, always wanted to play her and I think now with the changes she might be worth the purchase...but I want to make sure I can save up enough gold for either Medic/Rexxar when they drop!

Next hero probably won't be for another 2-3 weeks right? I want to spend 7k of my 15k gold right now on Kerrigan, always wanted to play her and I think now with the changes she might be worth the purchase...but I want to make sure I can save up enough gold for either Medic/Rexxar when they drop!

She's free tomorrow for a week, so you might as well wait I'd say. Next hero would be in 2 weeks? I think it's 3weeks between heroes? If it's like that I'd assume they'll say what's the next hero by the time Kerrigan isn't free anymore so you can asses your situation then.

I am saving my gold for rexxar, his master skin is actually good

ZPs

i mean it was rough. According to a decent portion of Reddit I'm just making excuses and not Rank 1 material.

Also should go without saying, that was all solo queue. Doing duo is fucking suicide for ranked points right now.

Alur

Rexxar is September 8th according to the datamine on Heroes Nexus.

i mean it was rough. According to a decent portion of Reddit I'm just making excuses and not Rank 1 material.

Also should go without saying, that was all solo queue. Doing duo is fucking suicide for ranked points right now.

Yep, figures. I knew it'd turn out you weren't rank 1 material Kappa. Did you smurf it on stream or just in your free time? I saw chu8 got it and now he's smurf only according to his post on the subject.

So are the point detriments for grouping harder now than they were before the reset? I noticed them at certain points pre-reset, but they seem to be a lot more stringent now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Care to explain?

Alur

Why would be suicide, it wouldnt be easier go duo instead of solo?

Care to explain?

You receive less points for grouping than you do for solo. In essence they have refused to create a solo/duo or even trio and under only queue, but they have made it so that you are punished for grouping in point gain versus those who do not.

It's not the worst idea ever...but to have it's intended affect they'd need to announce that they have done this and how much it restricts your advancement. Right now all we know is that it does and especially after the reset it seems to be a little more severe than it ever was before (at least to my eyes).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How about losing points? Do you lose more in groups?

kirblar

Brawl is free, gets u a pack for doing each week.

You receive less points for grouping than you do for solo. In essence they have refused to create a solo/duo or even trio and under only queue, but they have made it so that you are punished for grouping in point gain versus those who do not.

It's not the worst idea ever...but to have it's intended affect they'd need to announce that they have done this and how much it restricts your advancement. Right now all we know is that it does and especially after the reset it seems to be a little more severe than it ever was before (at least to my eyes).

Wow.....so thats why there is not a due queue like LoL but a team queue

Alavard

Based on current sources, Rexxar releases on Sept 8th.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sorry to continue this discussion but one last question. Are brawls generally shorter matches? I don't even know what brawl is but the name makes it seems like a quick match thing.

they're specialized matches. i wouldnt say they are "shorter" at all. just unique takes on the formula that changes up each week.

they used the last week to preview new cards and you can get assigned the purchasable heroes for only that brawl.

Skab

Hold up, shes going to be free starting tomorrow.

xptoxyz

Hi. Anyone playing right now? (EU) I've only just started trying out HOTS with a handful of matches, and it's already the MOBA I played the most to tell the truth. Still playing with people who communicate and may give some insight on the game would be nice.

Also from my short experience the map based abilities/triggers seem to be overwhelmingly powerful. They seem to have the ability to turn the tide too much, rather than regular push on the lanes. So maybe more objective driven than other MOBAs seem to be? (again no experience other than through "osmosis".)

I have a random and super broad question. Completely new to HOTS and MOBAs in general. I have a rough grasp as to how to play my character and what to do during an encounter with an enemy, but at a high level how do I know what I should be doing during a given match at a particular time? For example:

• Should I pushing a lane forward trying to take out forts or should I be going for objectives?
  • Should I be on my own or do I go where another player is?
  • A teammate is pinging a part of the map, should I instantly run over and assist? Why or why not?
  • When is the right time to try to recruit tougher minions?

For multiplayer, I've played FPS and Fighters exclusively, to the point where situational awareness is basically instinctive. With MOBAs there's a level of abstraction regarding the victory condition and what I should be doing that I am just at a loss on the moment to moment side of things.

I will team chat starting off a match asking for advice and where I should be and typically just get general stuff like, "don't die" or "stay behind the creeps". Obviously playing with randoms it will be hit or miss but I just feel like I have no idea if what I am doing is helping or hurting the team, outside of killing enemy players and/or dying myself.

Again I know it's a super broad question, but if anyone can provide some guidance or point me to a solid beginner's guide I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sup fellas!

Just started playing this recently. Not a bad game. Been tearing shit with Valla and have had some really fun games with Anub'Arak (Rewind is sooooooooo good).

Maledict

Penalising people who group up is unbeliveably stupid, and I cannot believe they would do this. Are we sure that's happening?

Why on earth would you think this a good idea in a game which is at its absolute best when played with friends? When it matches you against similar grouped people anyway?

Are we absolutely sure the tiny points weren't just becusse of the MMR difference?

P.s. Zp, glad to see you prove those morons wrong!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I am personally responsible for the sale of at least 3 HotS retail starter bundles this week. Where's my cut, Bliz?!

I have a random and super broad question. Completely new to HOTS and MOBAs in general. I have a rough grasp as to how to play my character and what to do during an encounter with an enemy, but at a high level how do I know what I should be doing during a given match at a particular time? For example:

• Should I pushing a lane forward trying to take out forts or should I be going for objectives?
  • Should I be on my own or do I go where another player is?
  • A teammate is pinging a part of the map, should I instantly run over and assist? Why or why not?
  • When is the right time to try to recruit tougher minions?

You're going to develop a lot of these instincts as you play the game more. Map objectives in this game are unlike anything in other MOBAs, and they're probably the most important thing to consider when playing a game but there are always going to be situations where you need to adapt and make exceptions. Ideally you want to do things like time ganks and shove lanes into enemy towers before objectives present themselves on the map and then focus on the map objectives in a hopefully advantageous position. If the enemy is down a man or two and/or defending a creep wave in 1 or more of their lanes, that puts you at a HUGE advantage when trying to fight around or capture objectives on the map. Typically after a map objective is complete is the best time to scramble to capture neutral merc camps.

I haven't played a lot of this game solo queue, so I don't know how communicative pub players are in general, but this game seems to require coordination for its general flow of play a lot more than a game like League that feels very static.

brian!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/her...he-nexus-a-basic-guide-to-heroes-of-the-storm
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/heroes/485714-hero-league-101

These are good beginner guides.

A tldr for this game is that, like every moba, the game revolves around objective taking. What that means becomes more nuanced as you learn more about the game. I might write something up later, but the guides i linked are pretty good. Ofc the best way to learn when new is to just play, and remember, when ppl give you advice or tips, to try to understand the reasoning behind it

Oh two things i kinda want to add
The game is constantly updated in kind of unsubtle ways, so make sure any hero guide you read is updated
And also a general piece of advice i would give is to try to think at least two steps ahead (ex. conditions are good for me to take a camp -> i think about ways i can take advantage of the pressure gained from the camp)/make sure the decisions you are making are towards some end

Altairre

Started playing this game very recently, about to hit lvl 12 and the quick matches I've been matched into are getting better and better.

I read up on it a bit before starting (never played a moba before) so that I don't completely fuck up in my first matches but it doesn't seem like a lot of people do that since it really was a game of chance at first (will my team go for the objectives or not? Why does this lane have two supports and the other one two tanks?).

Now that I've had a couple of close games I'm really getting into it. Started playing with Valla but have now settled on Muradin. Throwing hammers is as much fun as it sounds even if I still miss way too often.

One question though: How is the communication once you hit higher ranks? So far most of my matches have been silent, not even pings or anything. From my experience my team wins more often than not when we at least coordinate on a basic level. I'm sure once my map and situational awareness get better I'll see more of that by myself but it seems to me that it would be especially useful to convey as much information as possible when you're new to the game.

I've also been getting a lot of enjoyment out of watching pallytime's videos, hope I can pick up a thing or two. Not only useful information but extremely entertaining as well and I know almost every skill in the game now. It also makes me want to try out different heroes, even some I dismissed at first glance like Li Li. She seems like she's fun to play and if I want to learn support I think I'd start with her. Going to stick to Muradin for now though.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/her...he-nexus-a-basic-guide-to-heroes-of-the-storm

A tldr for this game is that, like every moba, the game revolves around objective taking. What that means becomes more nuanced as you learn more about the game. I might write something up later, but the guides i linked are pretty good. Ofc the best way to learn when new is to just play, and remember, when ppl give you advice or tips, to try to understand the reasoning behind it

The game is constantly updated in kind of unsubtle ways, so make sure any hero guide you read is updated
And also a general piece of advice i would give is to try to think at least two steps ahead (ex. conditions are good for me to take a camp -> i think about ways i can take advantage of the pressure gained from the camp)/make sure the decisions you are making are towards some end

Thanks a lot, definitely going to give those a read.

Alur

One question though: How is the communication once you hit higher ranks? So far most of my matches have been silent, not even pings or anything. From my experience my team wins more often than not when we at least coordinate on a basic level. I'm sure once my map and situational awareness gets better I'll se more of that by myself but it seems to me that it would be especially useful to convey as much information as possible when you're new to the game.

Pinging happens a bit more as you go up, but at least 80% or more of the time it'll probably be on you to coordinate. Rarely do I enter a game where someone else tries to shotcall, bar an occasional sentence or ping for help at mercs. If you can learn the basic flow of things and start doing that it will serve you very well.

It also makes me want to try out different heroes, even some I dismissed at first glance like Li Li. She seems like she's fun to play and if I want to learn support I think I'd start with her. Going to stick to Muradin for now though.

The best thing for you to do right now is level each hero in each free week to 5.

You familiarize yourself with their skills, their talents, and their weaknesses. You also get 500 gold for every hero you get to level 5. Finally, it helps you see clearly who you want to buy before you waste the gold or money which is pretty great as well.

Altairre

Pinging happens a bit more as you go up, but at least 80% or more of the time it'll probably be on you to coordinate. Rarely do I enter a game where someone else tries to shotcall, bar an occasional sentence or ping for help at mercs. If you can learn the basic flow of things and start doing that it will serve you very well.

The best thing for you to do right now is level each hero in each free week to 5.

You familiarize yourself with their skills, their talents, and their weaknesses. You also get 500 gold for every hero you get to level 5. Finally, it helps you see clearly who you want to buy before you waste the gold or money which is pretty great as well.

Oh great, another thing to learn. I do try to point out some of the really obvious things when I see them like leaving a lane empty at the start (and apologize if I'm the one making the mistakes) or ping for assistance if needed but since I'm new to the game I don't want to say anything wrong.

Another question: If I want to level up the free heroes I should probably play a couple of training/bot matches first right? Doesn't seem like a good idea to go into quickmatch without playing the chararcter first.

Alur

Oh great, another thing to learn. I do try to point out some of the really obvious things when I see them like leaving a lane empty at the start (and apologize if I'm the one making the mistakes) or ping for assistance if needed but since I'm new to the game I don't want to say anything wrong.

Another question: If I want to level up the free heroes I should probably play a couple of training/bot matches first right? Doesn't seem like a good idea to go into quickmatch without playing the chararcter first.

98% of the people you are with are either brand new or clueless as well so I wouldn't worry. They are going to do one of three things: (1) be happy someone told em what to do (2) ignore you or (3) get toxic. There's basically no avoiding 3 at the MMR you start at so its not even worth worrying about. Just mute them, report them and move on.

As for leveling heroes you're unfamiliar with, that's up to you. Odds are by being here you are already well ahead of the curve even though it's a your first moba. Quick Match is the casual mode, but naturally people still wanna win and may get salty if you visibly have no clue. I'd say you'll be fine though.

My only caution would be to consider that your first 20-50 QM games have huge weight, and your MMR will stay malleable up to and beyond ~100 games. You want to be as far away from starting MMR as possible (if possible) by 100-150 games in as your game experience will improve drastically if you can do so. It's a catch 22 in that way...you learn more about heroes in QM but you are also eating up your early games on a hero you may be awful at.

It's not a huge deal, but I know a few people who would've loved to know better ahead of time (same goes for starting HL as well). As I said, you're probably well ahead of the curve by being on a forum like this and watching videos already so do whatever you feel is best. If you want to keep track of how well you're doing, upload your games to hotslogs.com. The MMR there will give you a ballpark, but the main draw is seeing how well you are doing on certain maps, with certain heroes, with friends, and with certain talents. There's lots of info - including other people's info that you can use to better your play.

Bot games are good for dailies though if you get win 3 games or something like that and hit a dry spell in QM.

Altairre

Good to know, thanks for the info. I'll probably hop into some bot matches with characters I'm unfamiliar with (though I've watched a match with almost every character at this point and at least kind of know how they're supposed to be played) and stick with Muradin on QM. Especially since I've won the last couple of games and finally get the feeling that I can get some stuff done with him even though I tend to overextend.

Super useful, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom