• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

I'm arguing whether you ever truly got stuck, did you actually plateau or did it just become a slow crawl?

Stuck = not literal. By stuck I'm implying my first 100 games spat me out with an MMR that was ~1000 points below my typical. Stuck = you go from gaining and losing 100-200 per game, to 20-50 per game, to the normal ~10 per game meaning you are gonna be wherever you are for a while.

Like Ketch mentioned a couple pages back if your skill exceeds your MMR range's you should have lesser chances than the opposing team to hit these rotten eggs by being the constant and make some progress.

Agreed, you do, but at that range I don't personally think it counts for as much as either of you do at that range. It's a positive and should at least swing you above 50% winrate, for sure, but the other pitfalls of low levels at the very least even that back out to near 50% from my experience. Now if I'm playing at 2200 instead of 1600, and I'm really a 2900 player? I think that my presence counts for a little more, but I also think you see less of the things that make the game unfun there which can tank a game before it even gets going.

And even with 60% winrate, you're only gaining ~20 MMR net positive every 10 games (6-4). Most people don't play 10 games a day as that averages out to 3 hours plus at 20 mins a game. That's a long, long ass climb...so most people would say "stuck" whether they meant it literally or figuratively.

If you are plateauing for months on end I don't think MM alone can be blamed for that.

Agreed and I don't think anyone is saying it is.

I'm still below your mentioned threshold and your examples are very foreign to me, I mostly get lack of general game knowledge as troubles.

If you are solo queuing then I would say you are having a better experience than a lot of folks, then.

Alavard

Man , i really love the Butcher. Can't get enough of it when he says .. "aahhhh FRESH MEAT" then bee-lines at the person about get some "MASSIVE DAMAGE" lulz.

Except when a zagara times her ult on point and captures me mid-bee-line. i proceed to cry.

So far though, i only see burning furnace as my ult choice. Slaughter seems like a good choice but i never used it in practice yet and i want to provide that high burst dmg.

Nexus blade is my choice instead of the 2nd furnace explosion. Any suggestions on builds people have tried and said, hot damn! honey bisquits?

I've been playing a lot of Butcher lately. Here's my build:

1:Victuals (healing yourself from the meat remains huge all game)
4: Unrelenting Pursuit (your charge is insanely important, and lowering the cooldown only helps)
7: Abbatoir (more meat synchs well with blood frenzy)
10: Lamb to the Slaughter (I like to lockdown a single squishy target and ensure a kill)
13: Spell Shield or Crave Flesh (being able to keep up with a running away branded target is great, or can be kinda used to escape)
16: Blood Frenzy
20: Nexus Blades or very rarely Slaughterhouse (can be useful if you need to keep an entire team in one spot, but doesn't come up that much).

I find much of the key is determining the right time to use your charge and brand. Never use your charge to engage if you're going to get there in time from running anyway. Try to save it for enemies looking to escape. Bad Butchers waste their charge and can't do anything when the enemy just walks back behind their towers. Also, don't be afraid to die if your team is taking the better trade. You're a high priority target, so just accept that you're going to be killed and try to make them pay for it.

Alur

I prtty much just play for fun now, in the beginning i was in get gud try to achieve optimal condition mode but i only play now if someone asks me to play since ~december

So what do you play when you're not doing HOTS now?

EDIT: Damn, no new map til tomorrow. I was hoping the time was now for John Cena.

Stuck = not literal. By stuck I'm implying my first 100 games spat me out with an MMR that was ~1000 points below my typical. Stuck = you go from gaining and losing 100-200 per game, to 20-50 per game, to the normal ~10 per game meaning you are gonna be wherever you are for a while.

Agreed, you do, but at that range I don't think it counts for as much as either of you do at that range. It's a positive and should at least swing you above 50% winrate, for sure, but the other pitfalls of low levels at the very least even that back out to near 50% from my experience.

And even with 60% winrate, you're only gaining ~20 MMR net positive every 10 games (6-4). Most people don't play 10 games a day as that averages out to 3 hours plus at 20 mins a game. That's a long, long ass climb...so most people would say "stuck" whether they meant it literally or figuratively.

Agreed and I don't think anyone is saying it is.

If you are solo queuing then I would say you are having a better experience than a lot of folks, then.

Then it seems we are on the same page, the point gain really is very low and being stuck beneath your skill ceiling must be very frustrating but then again we are using an external site to judge it and for all we know it's working way different internally.
fun
The crawl is really, really slow.

For me it helped going on a Zeratul spree, he was the first hero I bought and was so bad with him I had a sub 40% winrate and didn't play him for months. When I felt more comfortable with the game and my abilities and the Follow Through build surfaced I started playing again and now he's back at +50% for me. He's so much fun and VP is just completely broken.

Maledict

These guys are great, how to oneshot with KT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_3VBFox-k

They also did that 2 minute Tassadar and max speed Ty(rande)chus video

The thing to note is, this has always been possible. Nothing changed - whilst the radius is bigger with the talent now, the actual damage per bomb is lower. It was just never picked because orbital striking from a mile away was safer and easier.

Whether it will be fixed is an interesting issue - Kael's win rate has gone up, but he's still only at 53% in hero league. It probably needs to go because its counter intuitive, and creates death trap situations which aren't good for the games healthy, but will be interested to see how they handle it.

The thing that gets me is that even pro-players still dont seem to be playing this right. I was watching some of the games, and they kept trying to be clever - casting a living bomb on one player, then another. Just double cast the bomb instantly on the minion, that's all you need! Chu was still casting empowered flametsrike all the time to clear minion waves, which seems very inefficient and slow compared to bombing them as well.

The thing to note is, this has always been possible. Nothing changed - whilst the radius is bigger with the talent now, the actual damage per bomb is lower. It was just never picked because orbital striking from a mile away was safer and easier.

Whether it will be fixed is an interesting issue - Kael's win rate has gone up, but he's still only at 53% in hero league. It probably needs to go because its counter intuitive, and creates death trap situations which aren't good for the games healthy, but will be interested to see how they handle it.

The thing that gets me is that even pro-players still dont seem to be playing this right. I was watching some of the games, and they kept trying to be clever - casting a living bomb on one player, then another. Just double cast the bomb instantly on the minion, that's all you need! Chu was still casting empowered flametsrike all the time to clear minion waves, which seems very inefficient and slow compared to bombing them as well.

someone should crunch the numbers since I don't think all bombs would have hit the target w/o the increased range.

I think Winrate in general is a poor indicator of a given hero performance, just look at Abathur and Zeratul.

subwilde

I'm ready for it too. Dis goin be gud. Got it for free on Steam with my new video card, but think I'll get it on PS4 anyway.

I bought a 970 that came with batman... I heard somewhere they were adding MGS as well for the people who got arkham Knight. Can anyone confirm? I don't play batman and never will seeing the issues that PC version had.

I've been trying to get one of those huge explosions off with KT but have only played a few games since patch. Looks just as fun as the nuke flamestrike :D

Alur

I bought a 970 that came with batman... I heard somewhere they were adding MGS as well for the people who got arkham Knight. Can anyone confirm? I don't play batman and never will seeing the issues that PC version had.

newegg were the ones giving MGSV for those who got the Batman codes. You get it from there?

Altairre

Sometimes I just don't understand my team. Why would you leave two lanes empty at the start? WHY? I told them I'd take bottom and suddenly everyone was there. I went up to mid to get some xp at least but of course the enemy team got ahead of us extremely fast. The four guys who went bot didn't even manage to get a few kills out of their number advantage and then went all in on a teamfight when the enemy team had heroics and we didn't. Got wiped the fuck out obviously. At least that game didn't take long.

Sometimes I just don't understand my team. Why would you leave two lanes empty at the start? WHY? I told them I'd take bottom and suddenly everyone was there. I went up to mid to get some xp at least but of course the enemy team got ahead of us extremely fast. The four guys who went bot didn't even manage to get a few kills out of their number advantage and then went all in on a teamfight when the enemy team had heroics and we didn't. Got wiped the fuck out obviously. At least that game didn't take long.

Well on dragonshire the minion spawn staggered with the midlane first and then top + bottom, you can go as 4 mid 1 top I think and after clearing the wave rotate bottom but that obviously didn't apply here.

Altairre

Well on dragonshire the minion spawn staggered with the midlane first and then top + bottom, you can go as 4 mid 1 top I think and after clearing the wave rotate bottom but that obviously didn't apply here.

It wasn't even on dragonshire but then again we didn't really stand a chance from the start since they had two supports who at least kind of knew what they were doing and we had one Malfurion who did barely any healing at all.

Really like your name + avatar combo by the way.

I've been playing a lot of Butcher lately. Here's my build:

1:Victuals (healing yourself from the meat remains huge all game)
4: Unrelenting Pursuit (your charge is insanely important, and lowering the cooldown only helps)
7: Abbatoir (more meat synchs well with blood frenzy)
10: Lamb to the Slaughter (I like to lockdown a single squishy target and ensure a kill)
13: Spell Shield or Crave Flesh (being able to keep up with a running away branded target is great, or can be kinda used to escape)
16: Blood Frenzy
20: Nexus Blades or very rarely Slaughterhouse (can be useful if you need to keep an entire team in one spot, but doesn't come up that much).

I find much of the key is determining the right time to use your charge and brand. Never use your charge to engage if you're going to get there in time from running anyway. Try to save it for enemies looking to escape. Bad Butchers waste their charge and can't do anything when the enemy just walks back behind their towers. Also, don't be afraid to die if your team is taking the better trade. You're a high priority target, so just accept that you're going to be killed and try to make them pay for it.

Thankyou for the input! I will try that as well. Makes sense to have that 35% increase of dmg and speed!

I'll have to be a better butcher. I like to engage like a second or 2 from the bushes after my team goes in. So i can single out that squishy healer/dps and hopefully cause disrpution and end up aceing the team. those moments are so satisfying.

but i have seen people just walk away from me and i try to get my Q off as quickly as possible lol .. >_< ..

Alur

Thankyou for the input! I will try that as well. Makes sense to have that 35% increase of dmg and speed!

I'll have to be a better butcher. I like to engage like a second or 2 from the bushes after my team goes in. So i can single out that squishy healer/dps and hopefully cause disrpution and end up aceing the team. those moments are so satisfying.

but i have seen people just walk away from me and i try to get my Q off as quickly as possible lol .. >_< ..

One important thing to remember is that your Q and W both reset your auto attack, so it's a key part of upping your damage. You auto then Q then get another auto then W, or you auto then W then auto then Q. You want to try to make sure you aren't clipping those autos because of how hard he hits as he scales.

And I would rarely choose Lamb over Furnace. Lamb has it's use in specific comps, but if you are soloing it is going to be a wasted ult more than it's going to be a useful one.

The damage of Furnace should allow you to secure a kill far more often whether you have follow up on your target or not. It is also particularly nasty at 20 with Bolt of the Storm, which even after the nerf I'd suggest if you are solo over any of the other choices. For one, it can save you. Secondly, it sets up very sick plays with Furnace offensively if you are so inclined...or you have someone bolt away from you.

Alavard

One important thing to remember is that your Q and W both reset your auto attack, so it's a key part of upping your damage. You auto then Q then get another auto then W, or you auto then W then auto then Q. You want to try to make sure you aren't clipping those autos because of how hard he hits as he scales.

And I would rarely choose Lamb over Furnace. Lamb has it's use in specific comps, but if you are soloing it is going to be a wasted ult more than it's going to be a useful one.

The damage of Furnace should allow you to secure a kill far more often whether you have follow up on your target or not. It is also particularly nasty at 20 with Bolt of the Storm, which even after the nerf I'd suggest if you are solo over any of the other choices. For one, it can save you. Secondly, it sets up very sick plays with Furnace offensively if you are so inclined...or you have someone bolt away from you.

I disagree. I think Furnace requires more coordination from your team mates to secure kills, whereas Lamb is better for the solo player, as it allows you to lock down anything 1v1 and get yourself a kill.

Alur

I disagree. I think Furnace requires more coordination from your team mates to secure kills, whereas Lamb is better for the solo player, as it allows you to lock down anything 1v1 and get yourself a kill.

I can't say I agree with that line of thinking. One ability deletes a large amount of a target's (or multiple targets) hit points and can be timed to be instantaneous. What follow up is required, exactly? Other than you hitting them there's not much follow up required. All you have to do is use your combo and charge properly.

The other requires more skill from your team by far unless a goofy Jaina just walks out in front of her team.

It is highly visible, easily cleansed...it's like larger range but less optimal Octograb, basically, because if they are stacked you can't even guarantee that your target will still be nearest the post and you don't get Murky's insta-lunge to the target built in. You can get it on the target you want with some reliability, maybe, but odds are it's far enough away that you're still going to have to charge in anyway...in which case why not just take Furnace and do it up right? You charging in and using your baseline abilities is definitely not killing someone faster than you charging in and using Furnace + those abilities.

Ketch

I have to agree with alur. Even in a 1v1 furnace is much better. There's not many heroes besides warriors who can live through charge+furnace auto,hamstring,auto. Especially if you've got the right talents for the combo.

brian!

Pretty into how both of butcher's ults are in line with his theme of running in like a doofus

Also the idea that the meat he's picking up isnt real since only he can see it

MoonGred

Barely had any time to play in the last week, and I really wanted to try Anub, what did I miss out on?
Did end up buyiny monk and Nova.
Still trying to get the hang of Monk healing, but enjoying him nonetheless.
Nova has been nothing been amazing, so much fun roaming the map and just killing everything. Muradin is the bane of my existence when he builds towards reducing attack speed though. The only question I have is that at no point is Nova to solo a lane right? I've had a couple of games where 2 assasins and a tank and assasins grouping together and expecting me to solo the other lane. No matter what I've tried there's just no point in trying to clear a lane as her.

Ketch

If a BW doesn't pick Cleanse, Lamb blows her right the F up. Only real good situational use I've seen for it so far.

Unless she has poly or emerald wind ready.

Lamb is okay against melee heroes with escapes. But even then you still need that coordination from your team.

I thought I'd really like butcher but his lack of mobility really drops him down my list quite a bit.

Recently got into this game. Always interested in MOBAs but LOL and Dota just seemed to daunting to get in to. So far just been playing with and vs bots to learn how the maps work and some character stuff but really enjoying what I've been playing so far. Look forward to playing with humans in the near future.

subwilde

Unless she has poly or emerald wind ready.

Lamb is okay against melee heroes with escapes. But even then you still need that coordination from your team.

I thought I'd really like butcher but his lack of mobility really drops him down my list quite a bit.

Yeah his mobility is definitely limited. Idk what I would do without Alur's divine palm lmao!

jk Ketch's tyrande the real mvp ;)

kirblar

First map rotation axes the 3 really bad maps. I really hope they extend this.

CNScsPcUkAA1RPX.png:large

Altairre

About to hit 50 games in quickmatch and it's only getting better so far. Won five of the last seven games.

One thing I've observed that's bothering me is that there is too much tit for tat going on. Whenever the team I'm in gets a good push in and kills most of the enemy team they engage way too long. I think my team could have won one of the two games I lost recently if it weren't for that. We were on garden terror, slightly behind in xp and seeds but the two big plant guys were still on the map. After pushing the enemy into their base, killing most of their team they just continued to push to the core until the enemy team respawned and wiped them out. If we had killed the plant bosses to get the terror we probably would have won the game. Granted this does not happen in every game, some people/teams do know when to disengage but more often then not it's a wasted opportunity to get merc camps or go for the objective.

About to hit 50 games in quickmatch and it's only getting better so far. Won five of the last seven games.

One thing I've observed that's bothering me is that there is too much tit for tat going on. Whenever the team I'm in gets a good push in and kills most of the enemy team they engage way too long. I think my team could have won one of the two games I lost recently if it weren't for that. We were on garden terror, slightly behind in xp and seeds but the two big plant guys were still on the map. After pushing the enemy into their base, killing most of their team they just continued to push to the core until the enemy team respawned and wiped them out. If we had killed the plant bosses to get the terror we probably would have won the game. Granted this does not happen in every game, some people/teams do know when to disengage but more often then not it's a wasted opportunity to get merc camps or go for the objective.

Yeah happens a lot people either don't want to or don't know when to disengage. Early game respawn timers are so quick, that even after a teamwipe if you stay too long you'll suddenly meet a full health, full mana team out for revenge.

Gotchaye

To be fair, this (knowing when to fight and when to back off or go do other things) is possibly the single hardest part of strategizing in this genre. Like, nail this and be great mechanically and you're going to be a top-tier player. You still see pro teams losing games because they overextend after establishing an advantage.

Alavard

I can't say I agree with that line of thinking. One ability deletes a large amount of a target's (or multiple targets) hit points and can be timed to be instantaneous. What follow up is required, exactly? Other than you hitting them there's not much follow up required. All you have to do is use your combo and charge properly.

The other requires more skill from your team by far unless a goofy Jaina just walks out in front of her team.

It is highly visible, easily cleansed...it's like larger range but less optimal Octograb, basically, because if they are stacked you can't even guarantee that your target will still be nearest the post and you don't get Murky's insta-lunge to the target built in. You can get it on the target you want with some reliability, maybe, but odds are it's far enough away that you're still going to have to charge in anyway...in which case why not just take Furnace and do it up right? You charging in and using your baseline abilities is definitely not killing someone faster than you charging in and using Furnace + those abilities.

I guess most of my reasoning comes from the fact that you're ideally trying to use Furnace to catch multiple heroes, and the coordination required from your teammates is the assistance with stuns or other CC to make it line up to hit more than 1 target.

I know it's been pointed out it does a Furnace on one target is still a lot of damage, but I'm often seeing a Butcher run in and hit a bunch of targets with Furnace only to kill none of them, and have them back out and heal back up.

Maybe Lamb really is the inferior choice, and the pros certainly always take Furnace, but Lamb just fits better with my playstyle.

Altairre

To be fair, this (knowing when to fight and when to back off or go do other things) is possibly the single hardest part of strategizing in this genre. Like, nail this and be great mechanically and you're going to be a top-tier player. You still see pro teams losing games because they overextend after establishing an advantage.

It sure is easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and to overextend (obviously doing that plenty myself) but it's always a bit disheartening in situations where it seems more obvious. Especially because our team comp in that match was a bit fucked from the start and the other players in my team made some really good plays to get that advantage in the first place only to lose it in the end and with it the match.

Ketch

Maybe Lamb really is the inferior choice, and the pros certainly always take Furnace, but Lamb just fits better with my playstyle.

Well, you're wrong. Do it like it says on the Internet!

just kidding. If it's working then more power to ya. Biggest pain of playing butcher for me is always getting kited, and it definetly helps with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom